Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riffola

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
NYC
I have mine ordered and on its way. I was just wondering for those who have one, are you happy with your purchase? Any regrets? Will you return it? or keep it?

Rtt3rd

macrumors member
May 3, 2006
Indiana
I didn't find the usefulness I hoped to have, so I returned mine yesterday, to each their own, just not much I need to type out on my IPad that warrants the added cost, if that changes in the future then I will go pick one up again.

Reactions: riffola

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
No regrets, my thoughts:
- Great keyboard, easy for me to use, loaded with keyboard shortcuts.
- Portable design adds little weight or bulk over just a smart cover.

Overall a very productive addition for me, glad I bought it!

Reactions: riffola

riffola

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
NYC
Does the keyboard keep getting in the way a lot? Does the weight bother you in tablet mode?

aw3524

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2015
I like it because it's a reasonably functional keyboard with a slim/light profile. That's basically all I was looking for -- a keyboard that doesn't add a whole lot of weight/bulk to the device. It's also easy enough to snap on & and remove where you could do so on a whim if you don't need the keyboard.

That being said, you shouldn't expect it to approximate a "good" keyboard (in the sense of a decent laptop/desktop keyboard). There's not a lot of travel and it's missing a lot of shortcut keys. But I still think it's worth it for me.

munishp

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2015
Cloud
I have mine ordered and on its way. I was just wondering for those who have one, are you happy with your purchase? Any regrets? Will you return it? or keep it?
I did think it was over priced but love it. Can take it off any time and just used the iPad and now I understand why Apple have made it the way it is. Real simple addition to the iPad

Reactions: txa1265

Rtt3rd

macrumors member
May 3, 2006
Indiana
I would agree that it is a good accessory if you use the IPad to type a lot, I didn't need to do that, if my usage requirements change in the future I wouldn't hesitate to get the IPP keyboard again, I did like the way it worked and could see it's usefulness.

earthdog

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2014
I think it's fair. Adds too much weight. The lack of backlight would be my wish for the extra weight.

Gshocker

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2015
Coronado, United States
I have found so far that it is very useful. I do think it is a bit overpriced and will see how it does with long term use.

Before I found one I had been using just a Bluetooth keyboard and this is much more convient. I prefer not having something extra to carry around.

Precision Gem

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2015
USA
I have had mine now for a few days. I find it easy to type on, and like the feel of it. For those who have tried to mock it saying it's like putting together origami, I think they are just the typical macrumors negative people. It's very simple to set up, in fact you don't need to try to fold it, just open it and point the bottom of the iPad into the mount and it all folds up by it's self.

I end up answering a lot of email from my iPad, and this his more than tripled the speed I can type on it compared to just typing on the screen. Back lit keys are of no importance to me, I touch type, and don't look at they keyboard. On my old Mac Book Air, I never turned the back lighting on, as it only helped to drain the battery. I'm sure backliting they keys on the iPad would have some impact on battery life too. As far as the cost goes, it makes no difference to me, I would have paid double for it as its a game changer to me.

Reactions: Rtt3rd

CyFi

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2015
I have had mine now for a few days. I find it easy to type on, and like the feel of it. For those who have tried to mock it saying it's like putting together origami, I think they are just the typical macrumors negative people. It's very simple to set up, in fact you don't need to try to fold it, just open it and point the bottom of the iPad into the mount and it all folds up by it's self.

I end up answering a lot of email from my iPad, and this his more than tripled the speed I can type on it compared to just typing on the screen. Back lit keys are of no importance to me, I touch type, and don't look at they keyboard. On my old Mac Book Air, I never turned the back lighting on, as it only helped to drain the battery. I'm sure backliting they keys on the iPad would have some impact on battery life too. As far as the cost goes, it makes no difference to me, I would have paid double for it as its a game changer to me.

I agree with every word Precious Gem said in his review. It truly is a game changer and makes typing so quick and easy. I have stopped carrying around my MacBook Pro and am completely mobile. The keys took a couple hours of typing to get use to for me, but like Precious Gem, I'm a touch typist, and go for feel and never look at the keyboard.

onefish2

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2006
Nanuet, NY
The first time you take it out of the box and try to "assemble" it its origami. Then you figure out how it works and its not a big deal anymore. For right know this is THE keyboard for the Pro. The Logitech Create is junk. I am returning that later today.

7racer

macrumors regular
May 3, 2004
I have the Logitech one....and while it's super nice to type on and then lighted keys are awesome, I find myself wanting to take it off when using it in iPad mode which is much harder to do than the apple keyboard...I'm thinking of switching

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
My only real gripe is that I have to hit the very centre of the down key or if doesn't register.
If I press left or right on it it mostly doesn't work.

Use that key for scrolling down web pages.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
he only regrets I have is that it does leave a keyboard like imprint on the inside of the cover which is a little unattractive but not surprising. I just wonder what will happen over time.

HoverAerialImaging

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2015
Originally, I hated the SK. I didnt like the feel of its keys, or the limited adjustability. After about a week and a half, I decided I either had to make it work or I was returning it. I loved the iPad Pro, so I gave it a shot. I actually ended up LOVING the keys after I got used to them, and I purchased a piece that fits between the SK and the iPad to give another angle of tilt.

Reactions: j_maddison

brianbunge

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Kennesaw, GA
I have the Logitech one....and while it's super nice to type on and then lighted keys are awesome, I find myself wanting to take it off when using it in iPad mode which is much harder to do than the apple keyboard...I'm thinking of switching

You should check out the Zagg keyboard, which is finally available on their website.. It has a case for the iPP which is held to the keyboard magnetically. So you can take it off the keyboard easily and still have some protection on it.

Reactions: 7racer

7racer

macrumors regular
May 3, 2004
You should check out the Zagg keyboard, which is finally available on their website.. It has a case for the iPP which is held to the keyboard magnetically. So you can take it off the keyboard easily and still have some protection on it.

yea I looked at that and seems nice...my Belkin for my last iPad was ok but annoying in that you had to hit the keys a couple times and there was a delay to sync.

the logitech it had synced great but the case wasn't as nice as the Belkin.

How does the Zagg due since it uses BT and not the special connector?

brianbunge

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Kennesaw, GA
I haven't gotten the Zagg yet, but my last two iPad have had Zagg keyboards. I'm still using my old keyboard with my iPP and it works great. No issues with delay at all. I'm hoping to order the new one soon.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
I heard people criticize the Apple smart keyboard but I cannot criticize this keyboard. In my opinion, it's absolutely perfect with the iPad pro. I can also sit it on my lap comfortably. It's just the right size and it's not bulky at all. I am able to type comfortably and fast and the keys are just the right size. Apple did a great job with this keyboard and for anyone doubting it, please try it first. I tried the Logitech create and it's so bulky that it's takes the futuristic appeal of the device away.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
Nice concept but bad execution. The keyboard is quite typable, but it lacks an entire row of function keys, and the fold over concept adds unnecessary weight and size vs an integrated kickstand. I'm more tempted to carry a magic keyboard and Smart Cover at this point.

Reactions: cargobrian

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
Nice concept but bad execution. The keyboard is quite typable, but it lacks an entire row of function keys, and the fold over concept adds unnecessary weight and size vs an integrated kickstand. I'm more tempted to carry a magic keyboard and Smart Cover at this point.
That's what I'm doing. Better keyboard, lighter iPad, comparable cost. Only thing I'm not sure about is that I can't rest the iPad upright on my lap. Can smart keyboard users do that?

Reactions: cargobrian
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.