Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
That's what I'm doing. Better keyboard, lighter iPad, comparable cost. Only thing I'm not sure about is that I can't rest the iPad upright on my lap. Can smart keyboard users do that?
Yes, and it's ok but really not that good. The biggest problem with it is that the keyboard has support from the back to prevent it from falling backwards, but no support to keep it from falling forwards into your lap. So you have to really keep your lap level and steady. I find it annoying enough that I usually either rip off the keyboard or go find a table. If I'm at a table, of course, the magic keyboard would probably be better.

Reactions: marmiteturkey

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Yes, and it's ok but really not that good. The biggest problem with it is that the keyboard has support from the back to prevent it from falling backwards, but no support to keep it from falling forwards into your lap. So you have to really keep your lap level and steady. I find it annoying enough that I usually either rip off the keyboard or go find a table. If I'm at a table, of course, the magic keyboard would probably be better.

I have no issue resting it on my lap......but I'm really muscular so maybe my legs balance it better...I can see if your thighs were not that wide that it may cause difficulty.

cargobrian

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2015
Long Island NY
I am returning mine tomorrow after using it for a couple of days. As some of the others, I would prefer the feel of a real keyboard. Still have the Apple Wireless keyboard that I will use for my day to day work. May update to the magic keyboard in the future, but don't see a reason to do so at this point. Also like the feel of using the Smart Cover over the smart keyboard cover. Due to weight and clumsy feel with the keyboard.

No regrets.

Still deciding on the pencil as well.

Reactions: marmiteturkey

cargobrian

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2015
Long Island NY
Well I ended up getting the ASK again as I was able to get it for $39.99 at Target. Only plan on using it when I travel. For work I will continue to use the apple bluetooth keyboard.

bluermlou

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
Finally got mine after waiting for 5 weeks. After a few hours so far, I'm enjoying it. Just what I needed. Didn't expect it to be as useful on my actual lap. The typing position is quite sturdy. For me at least.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
I have no issue resting it on my lap......but I'm really muscular so maybe my legs balance it better...I can see if your thighs were not that wide that it may cause difficulty.
it's not a thigh width issue, it's an issue of having to have your legs perfectly level for the ipad to stay upright. If you put your legs up / bend your knees slightly or sit with your feet up on something, the angle of the ipad isn't adjustable and it doesn't stay easily upright.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
it's not a thigh width issue, it's an issue of having to have your legs perfectly level for the ipad to stay upright. If you put your legs up / bend your knees slightly or sit with your feet up on something, the angle of the ipad isn't adjustable and it doesn't stay easily upright.

I'm having no issues having it on my lap in almost any position that I'm actually comfortable with...so it's based on the individual.....

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
My biggest use for the keyboard is just as a sturdier stand than the Smart Cover. Absolutely love it… and you get a keyboard for minimal extra weight.

rcooked

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2015
None. My wife has the Logitech, and I believe it is hideous. The Apple keyboard adds enough functionality and minimalism for the price. I've adjusted to using it just fine.

Reactions: jamesrick80
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.