Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
It seems Apple will never bring slides again (to their keynotes) explaining how iPhones cpus are superior to those of androids. Gen 3 benchmark is freaking fast!!!

IMG-0087.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: DeepIn2U

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
will still not be as good single core though.

That said SD gen 3 will be great and no longer should people need to worry about processing power between A chips and SD chips.

This is why people are bashing the pixel due to the lack of performance more due to how good SD gen 3 will be.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
We only see multi core scores here. On a phone OS single core score is more important.

That being said it is great to see Qualcomm reach parity or better with a series from Apple.

I am not a doom sayer for Apple because they have enough money and resources to change anything but with the recent brain drain from the a series development dept. and lack of AI competitiveness is not looking good for the immediate future.

If Apple can't brag about how superior their chips are and don't even have basic AI capabilities they are in trouble.

People constantly complain about the Tensor G3 about being poor in performance but AI is going to be more and more important in these SOC to a point where NPU might be as important as CPU performance. Obviously we are not there yet but the industry is moving in that direction.

Tensor G3 has reached a point where it may not be the fastest chip but it is not a bottleneck like the Tensor G2 was in the 7 Pro. The G3 is a huge improvement and fixes the biggest issues with the G2. Just like Apple, Google can optimize and customize the software on Pixels to optimize and add features no other phone has.

Let's not forget the reason we have 7 years of updates on Pixel is precisely because of the Tensor and Google making their own chips. This is still the infancy period for Google's Tensor series. Over time these chips like Apples a series will continue to improve and the possibilities are much more open than if Google continued to use off the shelf chips.

Personally I don't mind a small hit in performance if the software is properly optimized. I also don't mind being an early adopter because I see it as a way to invest in competition among SOC OEM. The more Google pushes the Tensor the more it will push the competition and give consumers more choice.

If you shut down Google for making its own chips before they really get a chance to make something great then you are dooming yourself to less choice.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
We only see multi core scores here. On a phone OS single core score is more important.

That being said it is great to see Qualcomm reach parity or better with a series from Apple.

I am not a doom sayer for Apple because they have enough money and resources to change anything but with the recent brain drain from the a series development dept. and lack of AI competitiveness is not looking good for the immediate future.

If Apple can't brag about how superior their chips are and don't even have basic AI capabilities they are in trouble.

People constantly complain about the Tensor G3 about being poor in performance but AI is going to be more and more important in these SOC to a point where NPU might be as important as CPU performance. Obviously we are not there yet but the industry is moving in that direction.

Tensor G3 has reached a point where it may not be the fastest chip but it is not a bottleneck like the Tensor G2 was in the 7 Pro. The G3 is a huge improvement and fixes the biggest issues with the G2. Just like Apple, Google can optimize and customize the software on Pixels to optimize and add features no other phone has.

Let's not forget the reason we have 7 years of updates on Pixel is precisely because of the Tensor and Google making their own chips. This is still the infancy period for Google's Tensor series. Over time these chips like Apples a series will continue to improve and the possibilities are much more open than if Google continued to use off the shelf chips.

Personally I don't mind a small hit in performance if the software is properly optimized. I also don't mind being an early adopter because I see it as a way to invest in competition among SOC OEM. The more Google pushes the Tensor the more it will push the competition and give consumers more choice.

If you shut down Google for making its own chips before they really get a chance to make something great then you are dooming yourself to less choice.
Apple will never be in trouble here lets be real. They remain the biggest tech company in the world and their chips are still the very best out there. It just means SD has caught up and it's basically on par for many tasks now.

All rumours point to apple making a big splash on Al next year in IOS 18 or in the 16 series. We all know they never arrive at the same time as android flagships. I think apple were taken by surprise how big Al has come so fast and were taken off guard by it's early impact.

I think google are making a big deal about 7 years of updates is due to the move to TSMC in 2 years time. That will allow them to really put down the threat to other android flagships. once google gets real performance i think it will be hard to justify or android phones.

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
Single core still falls short. And Apple will always have a slight advantage because of tighter software to SoC integration.

But in reality, both are overkill for what 99% of users need.

Sole time when soc works its butt off is when you use your camera and that's about it.

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
Not sure what's up with Google and why are they investing into Samsung leftover chip design and manufacturing.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Not sure what's up with Google and why are they investing into Samsung leftover chip design and manufacturing.
Pretty inaccurate statement.

While Tensor is based on a Exynos design it is highly customized by Google. Samsung is giving Google the most advanced base they have not left over or last gen chips.

If you are Google and your focus is not on raw performance but AI then why would you use the most expensive fab to produce your chips before you can charge a commensurate price? Google simply doesn't have the market share, presence or reputation to butt heads directly with Apple or Samsung. They have to have a price advantage to entice people to switch. Just having the same performance as the competition is not enough.

Once Google is confident they can charge a commensurate price then they may switch to TSMC as has been rumored but I bet that if Samsung is able to get close enough to TSMC in process and efficiency and performance then why would they switch? Competition is good for SOC vendors. On top of all of that Google has a tight partnership with Samsung that spans many years so Samsung may also be discounting other components if Google uses their fab to produce chips. Considering that Samsung produces so many top end components for smartphones it might just be too good a deal to pass on.

It will be interesting to see what happens. The Exynos 2400 is next year's Samsung based chip and they are going to use it in Galaxy s phones in certain regions. So far it looks pretty impressive although still behind the competition. Samsung is betting on the new chip to start changing perception.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
The Max tends to benchmark lower than the regular pro.

My test just completed now on my regular 15 pro, 54% battery, all apps killed but 3 day uptime.

IMG_0514.jpg

Great to see the competition (Finally!!). As I live in both camps, I like to see both push forward especially as other competition is coming in this arena and I like seeing both of these companies do well overall. Curious to see if Apple will apply the gas now, similar to how they just did with the M3 series on the Macbooks.

Seems like Apple already had an aswer to Qualcom on the Desktop side, now be curious to see how both race forward on the phones.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA

That said SD gen 3 will be great and no longer should people need to worry about processing power between A chips and SD chips.

This is why people are bashing the pixel due to the lack of performance more due to how good SD gen 3 will be.

Yeah nobody can get close to Apple on single core and PPW. These are two hugely significant reasons why the Apple experience is best-in-class across all mobile devices.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It seems Apple will never bring slides again (to their keynotes) explaining how iPhones cpus are superior to those of androids. Gen 3 benchmark is freaking fast!!!

IMG-0087.jpg

LOVE this threads reference - Tron & Tron 2 Legacy!
And subtle hint of : Long, Live, the User - something Apple has forgotten in iOS.

Single core still falls short. And Apple will always have a slight advantage because of tighter software to SoC integration.

But in reality, both are overkill for what 99% of users need.

Single-Core ... is that all you both got as a rebuttal? That's it? And you're challenging a 'Reference' performance rating?

Here is your single core "reference" to balk at btw:

PS: Wait until the ray-tracing performance hits them at up to 240fps!

The Max tends to benchmark lower than the regular pro.

My test just completed now on my regular 15 pro, 54% battery, all apps killed but 3 day uptime.

View attachment 2304700

Great to see the competition (Finally!!). As I live in both camps, I like to see both push forward especially as other competition is coming in this arena and I like seeing both of these companies do well overall. Curious to see if Apple will apply the gas now, similar to how they just did with the M3 series on the Macbooks.

Seems like Apple already had an answer to Qualcom on the Desktop side, now be curious to see how both race forward on the phones.

While I love the design of the new Black Book MBP's I'm not sure sure Apple 'applied the gas' the the M3's.
endless comparison tot he M1 series family of chips - equal versions and barely anything verbally or by metric presentations stating anything about the M2 series - is VERY telling!
10-25% performance gains, by their charts btw, over the M2 isn't putting on ANY gas. The same story was told by the A17 Pro chip as well.

Apple should've just skipped the 3nm fabrication, delayed the M3 for 2nm, bump the RAM of the current M2 series family. BTW, corrected the word 'answer' for you.

Apple only had barely an answer on the Arm desktop side, an 8c2x and a completely different architecture. Now that SPring 2024 the limitation of Windows on Arm for just Qualcomm is over NVidia will be entering the ARM desktop/laptop chip race ... and if you think AMD gave Intel a challenge for decades ... you ain't seen nothing yet. I don't expect NVidia to have power per watt efficiencies though - that would surprise me.

PS: Remember the SnapDragon 8 Gen 3 is just SM8650-AB, the -AC part to be mentioned in spring is for SnapDragon for Samsung Galaxy gets a serious clock boost.

And Qualcomm is still using 4nm not 3nm with Arm9.2 that holds a lot of significance I think as to why its behind on single-core vs the A17Pro.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
And subtle hint of : Long, Live, the User - something Apple has forgotten in iOS.

Single-Core ... is that all you both got as a rebuttal? That's it? And you're challenging a 'Reference' performance rating?

While I love the design of the new Black Book MBP's I'm not sure sure Apple 'applied the gas' the the M3's.
endless comparison tot he M1 series family of chips - equal versions and barely anything verbally or by metric presentations stating anything about the M2 series - is VERY telling!
10-25% performance gains, by their charts btw, over the M2 isn't putting on ANY gas. The same story was told by the A17 Pro chip as well.

Apple should've just skipped the 3nm fabrication, delayed the M3 for 2nm, bump the RAM of the current M2 series family. BTW, corrected the word 'answer' for you.

Apple only had barely an answer on the Arm desktop side, an 8c2x and a completely different architecture. Now that SPring 2024 the limitation of Windows on Arm for just Qualcomm is over NVidia will be entering the ARM desktop/laptop chip race ... and if you think AMD gave Intel a challenge for decades ... you ain't seen nothing yet. I don't expect NVidia to have power per watt efficiencies though - that would surprise me.

PS: Remember the SnapDragon 8 Gen 3 is just SM8650-AB, the -AC part to be mentioned in spring is for SnapDragon for Samsung Galaxy gets a serious clock boost.

And Qualcomm is still using 4nm not 3nm with Arm9.2 that holds a lot of significance I think as to why its behind on single-core vs the A17Pro.
This exactly!

I completely agree. Everyone on this site was going on and on that no one should get the M2 because it is just an overclocked M1. M3 with 3nm will blow everything out of the water....a17 will be a game changer!

I was like I think everyone is way off base here. M3 will not be like going from Intel to M1. That ship has sailed and the efficiency gains were based on moving to arm architecture and the much smaller process node than Intel. This time around we are coming from a very mature 5nm process and a highly optimized chip to a new process and the first revision of it. Sometimes a new process is a big deal and sometimes a smaller newer process is almost the same as the previous because it has some optimizations to be made in the architecture.

No one considered any of this. And just kept repeating the mantra 3nm will be incredible.

Now I am not saying a17/M3 is a bad chip but there is not as big a difference as people think between an advanced and mature 4nm process which Qualcomm is using and the poor yield first 3nm revision chipsets.

What happens when Qualcomm moves over to a mature 3nm process? If they are getting these numbers on 4nm?

Reactions: Ludatyk

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

What rebuttal? They are still behind in single core are they not? so they aren't superior in all areas and all we have seen is benchmarks expection. Phones aren't even out running these chip sets. Certain phones will run higher benchmarks than others.

Until it’s out to compare it’s just predicted numbers. It could destroy A17 pro in some key areas and I will certainly look forward to seeing day to day usage differences. Until then it’s impressive numbers to read

Not even sure why your post comes off defensive either. Where did i state this chipset isn't great? Where did I state apple is still ahead?

SD gen 3 and A17 pro will basically be on par in most areas of performance. People who have A17 pro and SD gen 3 aren't going to need to ever worry about performance that was the point of my post

One area where all phones running SD gen 3 will have over the A17 pro is these phones who have a real cooling system. One thing iPhones need to have going forward

Too bad SD may be using Samsung for SD gen 4 that could mean it goes backwards to what it used to be. It needs to stick with TSMC

Last edited:

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
What rebuttal? They are still behind in single core are they not? so they aren't superior in all areas and all we have seen is benchmarks expection. Phones aren't even out running these chip sets. Certain phones will run higher benchmarks than others.

Until it’s out to compare it’s just predicted numbers. It could destroy A17 pro in some key areas and I will certainly look forward to seeing day to day usage differences. Until then it’s impressive numbers to read

Not even sure why your post comes off defensive either. Where did i state this chipset isn't great? Where did I state apple is still ahead?

SD gen 3 and A17 pro will basically be on par in most areas of performance. People who have A17 pro and SD gen 3 aren't going to need to ever worry about performance that was the point of my post

One area where all phones running SD gen 3 will have over the A17 pro is these phones who have a real cooling system. One thing iPhones need to have going forward

Too bad SD may be using Samsung for SD gen 4 that could mean it goes backwards to what it used to be. It needs to stick with TSMC
Your last paragraph I just don't agree. Who knows what fab Qualcomm will use? Samsung has been behind with Exynos for years But Samsung has continued to poor money into R&D and development and is pushing hard to be competitive and hopefully one day beat the competition. I don't see them matching or beating QC anytime soon, specially with the new Orion cores but they can be competitive and offer a better price for their own chips and chip designs.

Just like with the people who claimed 3nm on a series and m series chips will be a game changer, Samsung fabs are just dismissed as bad. If you have tried a current Pixel 8 you would understand the progress Samsung has made. Obviously the Tensor G3 is still not beating the competition but it is a huge improvement in every way over the G2.

Once Samsung perfects it's 3nm process and continues to refine it's Exynos design there is no reason a Exynos or Exynos based chip doesn't match or exceed the competition.

As Qualcomm did with 8 gen 1 and ditched Samsung in favor of TSMC and I have no doubt that if Samsung fab sucks on 8 gen 4 they would do the same thing. However, since Samsung has a very big vested interest and profit motivation to be a major player in the SOC space and they probably really, really don't want a repeat of 8 gen 1 they have to be doing everything they can to make up for their past mistakes. They want to be a viable alternative to TSMC and it is in consumers best interest that they succeed.

All that being said I highly doubt any Exynos chip will be at the same level or beat the new Snapdragon 8 gen 3 and beyond because of the new Orion cores Qualcomm is using. However it doesn't mean that Samsung fab will be any better or worse than TSMC if they are using a Qualcomm design. It really just comes down to the process and if Samsung can get their fabs as good as TSMC and with the money potential for Samsung to be a major player I can bet they are doing everything they can to do just that.

With Tech time can be a huge factor and underdogs can overtake the competition and disrupt the market. So to assume that if QC used Samsung fab it will be worse is just a guess. That guess may turn out to be true because as everyone knows the track record isn't great. Sometimes failure is a great motivator and I don't think Samsung is giving up any time soon.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Fair points and I understand your point of view, though I don't understand the vitrol directed at me.

Aside from that, One could also view the M3 event as a marketing video, and one targeted to Mac users still running the M1 as well as older Intel systems. Unlike phones (which is increasingly unrealistic to do for many), I doubt Apple is expecting their customers to upgrade their Macs every time there is an upgrade to the ecosystem.

On a different metric for overall system performance, I think achieving any gains (especially in the M3 Pro) while reducing performance cores and memory bandwidth is also telling. They are working in efficiency and making considerations in a way that keeps some of us more portable users away from a plug, or PD battery pack.

I am looking forward to seeing what true battery efficiency improvements come out of the recent M3 Pro lineup.

Why not just skip it all and wait for 1nm then? And sorry I am human so mistakes happen. ;)

I don't remember posting anything to the effect of, "Apple rules, others drool". The competition is awesome, and living in both camps (on phones as well as computers) I am completely sincere in the strait to the point comment I made earlier.

Great to see the competition (Finally!!). As I live in both camps, I like to see both push forward especially as other competition is coming in this arena and I like seeing both of these companies do well overall.

I am way overdue in upgrades on the PC side, and I have been holding out waiting to see what would happen with all the new processor tech coming out. Really would like more performance on my PC system in a way that doesn't rely just on GPU like my i9 Currently does. I should have went AMD when I built it! ;)

Reactions: Technerd108

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Your last paragraph I just don't agree. Who knows what fab Qualcomm will use? Samsung has been behind with Exynos for years But Samsung has continued to poor money into R&D and development and is pushing hard to be competitive and hopefully one day beat the competition. I don't see them matching or beating QC anytime soon, specially with the new Orion cores but they can be competitive and offer a better price for their own chips and chip designs.

Just like with the people who claimed 3nm on a series and m series chips will be a game changer, Samsung fabs are just dismissed as bad. If you have tried a current Pixel 8 you would understand the progress Samsung has made. Obviously the Tensor G3 is still not beating the competition but it is a huge improvement in every way over the G2.

Once Samsung perfects it's 3nm process and continues to refine it's Exynos design there is no reason a Exynos or Exynos based chip doesn't match or exceed the competition.

As Qualcomm did with 8 gen 1 and ditched Samsung in favor of TSMC and I have no doubt that if Samsung fab sucks on 8 gen 4 they would do the same thing. However, since Samsung has a very big vested interest and profit motivation to be a major player in the SOC space and they probably really, really don't want a repeat of 8 gen 1 they have to be doing everything they can to make up for their past mistakes. They want to be a viable alternative to TSMC and it is in consumers best interest that they succeed.

All that being said I highly doubt any Exynos chip will be at the same level or beat the new Snapdragon 8 gen 3 and beyond because of the new Orion cores Qualcomm is using. However it doesn't mean that Samsung fab will be any better or worse than TSMC if they are using a Qualcomm design. It really just comes down to the process and if Samsung can get their fabs as good as TSMC and with the money potential for Samsung to be a major player I can bet they are doing everything they can to do just that.

With Tech time can be a huge factor and underdogs can overtake the competition and disrupt the market. So to assume that if QC used Samsung fab it will be worse is just a guess. That guess may turn out to be true because as everyone knows the track record isn't great. Sometimes failure is a great motivator and I don't think Samsung is giving up any time soon.
It’s been heavily hinted that this is what their plans are to go with Samsung foundary will see if it happens or not.. Which for me would be a big mistake. There has nothing good that has come from samsung’s foundary chips. Every exynos chip I’ve used has been bad.

I zero confidence they can make a chip to run well enough compared to TSMC. There’s a reason exynos 2400 will be on the S24 and S24 plus and not the S24 ultra. The chip will be a downgrade to SD Gen 3.

Until Samsung can show the processing power is the same or better I don’t see how it will be an improvement. It’s more of will see it to believe it when it comes to Samsung in this area.

The day the pixel ditches Samsung for TSMC will be the best days for the pixel line. The pixel could leave the 10 pro unchanged from the 9 pro and it will be a massive upgrade on performance alone

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
So we are using products that don’t exist yet to test against products that do exist now? Ok. Hey does anyone have the specs on the A18 Pro since the rules changed? Besides that, when I go on Geekbench at least from what I can see by their charts their is no other ARM chips that even come close to dunking on Apple’s chips in mobile or desktop space.

Reactions: MayaUser

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
As always, earlier benchmarks are not done into an envelope....with no thermals restrictions.. Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 13.57.12.png
Look at this first Xiaomi 14 first GB 6 results : left gen 2 and right gen 3
I dont understand that in 2023 still people dont understand that the first benchmarks are miss-leading, done in no thermals restrictions
So 7500 score vs 6750 inside an actual device
Your welcome

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
So we are using products that don’t exist yet to test against products that do exist now? Ok. Hey does anyone have the specs on the A18 Pro since the rules changed? Besides that, when I go on Geekbench at least from what I can see by their charts their is no other ARM chips that even come close to dunking on Apple’s chips in mobile or desktop space.
I'm not sure where you're seeing A18 Pro referenced, but let's be honest here, Aplle has never been good at bring any cooking to any if their iphones thus far, let alone had competition beyond themselves to push theie own focused limitations and thresholds. Moreover the very small increments of increasing battery capacity amongst their entire lineup until the 15 series is kind of insulting to their user base considering the retail price therein.

Qualcomm has to "compete" over rthr last 2 decades amongst themselves and now with increasing commenting for mobile phone SoC's and with DSP chips amongst competitors that work in tandem with their SoCs and on die implementation. Furthermore with cooling - vapor chambers, fans amongst their vendors as a cohesive synergistic solution and since last year increasing their own SoC's performance specifically for the increased demand of Galaxy phones which evidently help all Samsung's competitors just 6 months out if exclusivity.

It's an entire differnt game vs Apple that is helping the entire Android landscape continue to thrive, further innovation and collaboration while still in a highly competitive ecosystem. Next year you'll see some significant jumps and possibly dunks on the Android platform.

While over 9 competitors within the platform (Android) have implemented great, useful fully function desktop modes (for personal and corporate use workflows), ios still struggles to proper sport their own TrackPad 2 properly to even show a cursor on screen, piss-por navigation, and normal functionality. This is just using their own in-market accessories for years - after implementing Accessibility options to get them working THAT far! Don't even get me started on barely functioning minimal keyboard shortcuts all but 3 are intuitive to both users of windows, Mac and Linux desktop platforms. Again this is even using their OWN products, forget about well entrenched 3rd part keyboard and mouse competitors Logitech that btw makes dedicated accessories just for Mac. All that so that Apple can protect their own higher priced iPad product category that which it's OS and GUI UX is based on ios never had this issues for years!

It's strange to see Apple for decades state its all about the user experience, and forcing their users into a specific user experience that is price tiered yet their fan base focusing only on specs when it benefits their swan song.

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
Pretty inaccurate statement.

While Tensor is based on a Exynos design it is highly customized by Google. Samsung is giving Google the most advanced base they have not left over or last gen chips.

If you are Google and your focus is not on raw performance but AI then why would you use the most expensive fab to produce your chips before you can charge a commensurate price? Google simply doesn't have the market share, presence or reputation to butt heads directly with Apple or Samsung. They have to have a price advantage to entice people to switch. Just having the same performance as the competition is not enough.

Once Google is confident they can charge a commensurate price then they may switch to TSMC as has been rumored but I bet that if Samsung is able to get close enough to TSMC in process and efficiency and performance then why would they switch? Competition is good for SOC vendors. On top of all of that Google has a tight partnership with Samsung that spans many years so Samsung may also be discounting other components if Google uses their fab to produce chips. Considering that Samsung produces so many top end components for smartphones it might just be too good a deal to pass on.

It will be interesting to see what happens. The Exynos 2400 is next year's Samsung based chip and they are going to use it in Galaxy s phones in certain regions. So far it looks pretty impressive although still behind the competition. Samsung is betting on the new chip to start changing perception.

I haven't followed the news but first gen Tensor was based off on Exynos design that was already replaced by newer generation. That's why Pixel always lags in benchmark scores (not that it matters anyway). And Samsung straight out sucks at chip fabricaiton compared to TSMC

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Yeah nobody can get close to Apple on single core and PPW. These are two hugely significant reasons why the Apple experience is best-in-class across all mobile devices.
Yes exactly this, also its not mentioned anywhere on this thread that the SD8 gen 3 uses 8 cores vs the A17 Pros 6 cores. In this regard the Snapdragon chips are still behind CPU wise, they have just used brute force to equal the multicore performance of the A17 Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.