Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Yes, there are phones shipping with SDG3. Why are you so sure there aren't?
None that are available in the USA and nothing in a major brand with regional support and long term software support.

But if you want to use some of the Chinese OEM'S as an example I guess that would be valid BUT phones like the Pixel 8 Pro don't compete in that market so it is still an unfair comparison.

All the phones that will be supported in the US will launch with SD 8 gen 3 next year.

But, let's go ahead and compare whatever Xiaomi releases this year with 8 gen 3 will that phone be able to use the AI with good software??

There is no doubt that Chinese OEM have some of the very best hardware for the very best prices-generally speaking and if you are in a country where those phones are supported then take advantage of it if you don't mind the UI, lack of long term updates, and possible data mining.

Once America and China are on better terms and the Chinese OEM'S can compete in the US market with full cellular band support, retail stores and warranty support, longer term updates then it is game on and I welcome the competition because it will mean better hardware and lower prices across the board.

Right now these Chinese OEM'S are subsidized by the government so they can operate on thin margins. The OEM's basically don't have to support the devices more than a year or two in major updates and security patches are generally out of date. Heavy Android skins like Samsung are used which some people don't like. If they had to offer long term updates like Google or Apple it would raise the price of the devices they sell. If they weren't subsidized it would raise the price. If they had to offer regional hardware warranty support it would raise the price of the devices.

So until all of the above changes using the latest high end Xiaomi as a comparison depending on the region is a bit of a straw man argument.

Last edited:
Reactions: xRem

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
None that are available in the USA and nothing in a major brand with regional support and long term software support.

But if you want to use some of the Chinese OEM'S as an example I guess that would be valid BUT phones like the Pixel 8 Pro don't compete in that market so it is still an unfair comparison.

All the phones that will be supported in the US will launch with SD 8 gen 3 next year.

But, let's go ahead and compare whatever Xiaomi releases this year with 8 gen 3 will that phone be able to use the AI with good software??

There is no doubt that Chinese OEM have some of the very best hardware for the very best prices-generally speaking and if you are in a country where those phones are supported then take advantage of it if you don't mind the UI, lack of long term updates, and possible data mining.

Once America and China are on better terms and the Chinese OEM'S can compete in the US market with full cellular band support, retail stores and warranty support, longer term updates then it is game on and I welcome the competition because it will mean better hardware and lower prices across the board.

Right now these Chinese OEM'S are subsidized by the government so they can operate on thin margins. The OEM's basically don't have to support the devices more than a year or two in major updates and security patches are generally out of date. Heavy Android skins like Samsung are used which some people don't like. If they had to offer long term updates like Google or Apple it would raise the price of the devices they sell. If they weren't subsidized it would raise the price. If they had to offer regional hardware warranty support it would raise the price of the devices.

So until all of the above changes using the latest high end Xiaomi as a comparison depending on the region is a bit of a straw man argument.

That essay wasn't needed. Strawman argument? I just corrected someone when they implied there aren't any SDg3 phones shipping. Not all of us are from the US and take being in the US as an assumption.

You're incorrect on your blanket statement saying Chinese phones have little support - Xiaomi, which sells an SDg3 phone now, offers 4 years of updates and 5 years of security. Plenty of other Chinese phones also offer much more than "a year or two in major updates and security patches".

Reactions: Technerd108

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
That essay wasn't needed. Strawman argument? I just corrected someone when they implied there aren't any SDg3 phones shipping. Not all of us are from the US and take being in the US as an assumption.

You're incorrect on your blanket statement saying Chinese phones have little support - Xiaomi, which sells an SDg3 phone now, offers 4 years of updates and 5 years of security. Plenty of other Chinese phones also offer much more than "a year or two in major updates and security patches".

It is still a strawman if you are comparing a chip from Google and Pixel vs SD 8 gen 3 in Xiaomi.

Nice to know that they have increased their update support. Good to know. But the majority of other Chinese OEM's don't have the best track record.

And you didn't really dispute my other points.

I understand not everyone is in the US which is why I worded my "essay" the way I did.

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
It is still a strawman if you are comparing a chip from Google and Pixel vs SD 8 gen 3 in Xiaomi.

Nice to know that they have increased their update support. Good to know. But the majority of other Chinese OEM's don't have the best track record.
Bud, I think you're getting confused. I'm not arguing anything, one guy simply said:
Are products shipping with the SDg3? No? Then it’s vaporware.
To which I pointed out:
Yes, there are phones shipping with SDG3. Why are you so sure there aren't?

That's it. Who's talking about Pixel vs SD8g3 because I'm not.

And you didn't really dispute my other points.

See above. I'm not arguing with you bud. All I was saying is that there are phones shipping with SD8g3 when someone said there weren't, that's it nothing more, no argument or hidden agenda. Are you clear now?

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yeah nobody can get close to Apple on single core and PPW. These are two hugely significant reasons why the Apple experience is best-in-class across all mobile devices.
I have to rebuttal against 'best-in-class across all mobile devices' statement.

Best is subjective. After over a decade I personally no longer felt in agreement to this.
As my needs and wants grew 'best in class' no longer was best for me, moreso limiting me.

so I rebuttal with Best-In-Apple's ecosystem and how THEY want things to work synergistically not necessarily with the rest of your life and those within it along with all devices within it. Personal opinion of course.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Bud, I think you're getting confused. I'm not arguing anything, one guy simply said:

To which I pointed out:

That's it. Who's talking about Pixel vs SD8g3 because I'm not.

See above. I'm not arguing with you bud. All I was saying is that there are phones shipping with SD8g3 when someone said there weren't, that's it nothing more, no argument or hidden agenda. Are you clear now?
Guess I got mixed up with another thread you posted.

Who is "bud"?

To better clarify your statement it should be that depending on the region there are phones shipping with SD8g3.

Since the phones shipping with 8 gen 3 now do not have cellular band support in all regions and are not officially supported in the areas where the phones you referenced are available. Once 8 gen 3 phones release in all regions officially then I think your statement would make more sense.

Anyway, it doesn't matter.

Have a great day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.