Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Since there isn't a dedicated or stickied snow leopard thread i'm tossing this here.

I took some of the mini apps i built for 10.4/10.5 and rebuilt them for 10.6, and added a few more that wouldn't work on tiger/leopard if anybody is interested.
So far the list includes:

Browser - No frills uber basic webkit browser
Facebook - (mobile web version)
HookTubeX - Internet video streamer
ShoutCastX - Internet radio via shoutcast
SoundCloud - (mobile web version)
Twitter - (mobile web version)
YewTube - TonVid / YouTube viewer

Downloads are here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1bz_L2Vhq-Zuw7-sBl_HyhdHXy3k5UKOv

ShoutCastX.png

Cheers

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I setup up a build machine and successfully built the latest Pale Moon 27.8.2 web browser. It works with 64 bit machines and was tested on 10.6, 10.8 and 10.11. Now i've been trying to build a 32 bit version for core solo machines with no success. Anybody have any pointers on how to build for 32 bit? I know i have to pass the flags for i386 (vs x86_64), but even when i do that it proceeds to build the 64 bit version. Any tips would be appreciated, as i think 32 bit snow leopard users deserve a current web browser.

Download 64 bit version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LARDsfBEbq0VwOiVTUo8SKfJMO4WkeiM/view?usp=sharing

Cheers.

Reactions: Dronecatcher

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
I setup up a build machine and successfully built the latest Pale Moon 27.8.2 web browser. It works with 64 bit machines and was tested on 10.6, 10.8 and 10.11. Now i've been trying to build a 32 bit version for core solo machines with no success. Anybody have any pointers on how to build for 32 bit? I know i have to pass the flags for i386 (vs x86_64), but even when i do that it proceeds to build the 64 bit version. Any tips would be appreciated, as i think 32 bit snow leopard users deserve a current web browser.

Download 64 bit version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LARDsfBEbq0VwOiVTUo8SKfJMO4WkeiM/view?usp=sharing

Cheers.

If the build is via a Terminal shell, try entering "CFLAGS=-m32" and then "make". I have used this technique on Linux to build 32bit binaries in a 64bit environment (e.g. MOL on ppc64).

vddrnnr

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2017
Hi wicknix,

Go for it :D
I have Lion 10.7.2 running on a CoreDUO ( 32 bit ), the best I got is FireFox 52 running ( just need to change Info.plist ).
If you want I can help you testing.

Best regards,
voidRunner

Reactions: AphoticD

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole

Cheers.

How is the build process for Pale Moon on OS X dependency-wise ?
From what I recall JeffBai built it for PPC also :

https://powerpcliberation.blogspot....howComment=1479933195505#c4257756405197955314

so now I'm wondering wether it could be build for 32 bit PPC also .

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
@vddrnnr : "If" i'm able to get it to build for 32 bit i'll let you and everybody else know. :)

@Lastic : The build process went smooth as butter once i figured out what packages to install via macports for it to build. Basically run ./mach build until it bombed out, figure out what it was complaining about, install sore thumb, repeat. Eventually it built with no errors. :D

Yeah, i've been trying on my ibook g4 as well, but with no luck yet.

Cheers

Reactions: G4fanboy

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

Cheers.
It's great to see that 64-bit Snow Leopard has a modern browser choice, and it definitely performs better than the standard Firefox on my Late 2006 iMac running Mountain Lion as well. Made this the default browser in OS X, though admittedly the iMac is primarily running Linux Mint now.

Reactions: wicknix

Antares23

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2014
Chartres, France
Hi wicknix,

Go for it :D
I have Lion 10.7.2 running on a CoreDUO ( 32 bit ), the best I got is FireFox 52 running ( just need to change Info.plist ).
If you want I can help you testing.

Best regards,
voidRunner

Hi ! How have you got Lion 10.7.2 running on a Core Duo ? I thought only the DP1-DP2 could run on 32bit Core machine ?
I have a Early 2006 MacBook Pro with a 1.83GHz Core Duo so I would be interested to get Lion running on it :)
Thanks ;)

EDIT: I've found a video talking about it :)

Last edited:

eyeleica

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2016
Las Vegas, Nevada
Wicknix,
thanks for the work on New Moon. It sure is beneficial to the MacBook Pro 2.33 Intel Core 2duo. The only problem I have is when i go to reddit.com the machine shuts down. Rather, I get a window shade and a message that the computer must be shut down. This has happened with all of the New Moons I've used. I am too inexperienced to figure out the cause.
Any ideas?

eyeleica

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2016
Las Vegas, Nevada
I am thinking that the only time there is a kernel attack is when going to the reddit.com website using New Moon.
The conflict would then be software related, but ?

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
@eyeleica Thanks. Hmm. I can get on reddit just fine here. Are you using any extentions/add-ons by chance? All i'm using is adblock latitude and my user agent is set to firefox compatibility. (found in preferences -> advanced -> general)

Cheers

eyeleica

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2016
Las Vegas, Nevada
@eyeleica Thanks. Hmm. I can get on reddit just fine here. Are you using any extentions/add-ons by chance? All i'm using is adblock latitude and my user agent is set to firefox compatibility. (found in preferences -> advanced -> general)

Cheers
wicknix,
I deleted the extentions/add-ons I had and tried adblock latitude. Kernel panic. Disabled adblock latitude, turned off the computer, restarted and went to reddit.com. No problems! Thank you for your help and for making NewMoon available for the original intel mac using 10.6.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I've been slacking a bit as of late. Here's my latest unofficial palemoon 27.9.2:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zfUd09ilDqgLouIjpRKNIyj3YhWTOWUg/view?usp=sharing

Still no luck with 32bit builds. I really don't want to mess with my working macports installation to install the universal packages which are needed for 32 bit builds being built on 64 bit systems. Seems like it'd just be easier to build with a 32 bit core solo machine (which i don't have).

Cheers

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
I've been slacking a bit as of late. Here's my latest unofficial palemoon 27.9.2:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zfUd09ilDqgLouIjpRKNIyj3YhWTOWUg/view?usp=sharing

Still no luck with 32bit builds. I really don't want to mess with my working macports installation to install the universal packages which are needed for 32 bit builds being built on 64 bit systems. Seems like it'd just be easier to build with a 32 bit core solo machine (which i don't have).

Cheers

if you would like to share some of your setup steps, I could give it a try?

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I'll try to remember off the top of my head...
Requires 10.7 Lion minimum to build. Will fail on 10.6 due to missing frameworks in the 10.6 SDK.
Install xcode, command line tools and macports ;)
Then you'll need these:
sudo port -v install autoconf213 python27 libidl ccache yasm clang-3.7 (gcc might work, but i use clang)
Download Pale Moon source: https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon/archive/27.9.2_Release.zip
Extract source archive somewhere convenient.
Add a sane .mozconfig (i'll attach mine to this post. you'll need to change the optimize flag or remove it)
From the source directory type: ./mach build
If it builds (takes about 1 hour) test it with: ./mach run
Now package it: ./mach package
The built package will be in /obj_x86_blah_blah/dist
Rename package from palemoon-27.9.2.xxx.dmg to newmoon-27.9.2.xxx.dmg as per their request if you distribute.

Good luck!

Attachments

• mozconfig.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 420

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Thanks. As of about a month ago i started working with the Pale Moon team for Mac development. Our goal is to get MacOS officially supported by Pale Moon. Currently the only supported platforms are windows and linux. There are a few minor kinks to work out yet, but we are getting close. :D

In the meantime, here is my latest unofficial 27.9.3 build:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-t6zpN68FtXkeOwSOsN9Vx2ap2-As_r3/view?usp=sharing

Cheers

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Great work @wicknix ! Anything that supports otherwise obsoleted hardware is awesome in my books.

Pale Moon makes Snow Leopard a completely capable OS. It would be ideal to include official support for 32-bit hardware also as there are still a number of Core Duo machines kicking along. Some of those ‘06 MacBooks just won’t give up!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.