Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015
Thanks.
Here is a quicky done PaleMoon icon if needed for your build:

Attachments

• PaleMoon.zip
    251.5 KB · Views: 145

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
This thread is oozing with graditute and respect for each others machines.
Maybe the OSX is more stable and relaxing to operate.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Thanks.
Here is a quicky done PaleMoon icon if needed for your build:

Thanks, but i'm not allowed to use or package with the official PM icon or name. Mac support hasn't been made official yet. We are close though! That's why we mac users currently have the ugly grey "newmoon" icon and app name. If other people want to replace the stock newmoon icon with it that's fine and dandy however.

Cheers

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Wicknix, I've been trying this out today on a Core2 Duo Mac Mini3,1 running 10.6 and found it to be truly excellent.
I then tried to be a little too clever, went into about.config to perform a few tweaks using THIS link as a basis for the changes. After the changes, rebooted, and surprised to find that PaleMoon wouldn't load the home tab, or other tabs bookmarked on the toolbar. Typed in about.config again hoping to return to defaults but it wouldn't list the preferences in order to make any changes.
Rebooted, and tried again, but no change.
I then deleted the PaleMoon app using AppCleaner. Using your given link then downloaded PaleMoon once again and installed to applications. Again it fired-up but failed to load the home page or any other web links.
Firefox is still functioning correctly as before but I'd like PaleMoon back.
Any ideas please from anyone?

Last edited:

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
@CooperBox : Hmm. First i'd try what Dronecatcher said. On a side note, Pale Moon is no longer a rebranded and tweaked firefox. It's been using much of it's own code base, it's own rendering engine, etc for quiet a few releases now. I would advise staying away from firefox specific tweaks. Most mozilla/google privacy/spy code has been removed or disabled by default. You really shouldn't have to tweak it.

Try deleting ~/Library/Saved Application State/org.mozilla.palemoon.savedState
and
~/Library/Application Support/Pale Moon

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers

Reactions: CooperBox

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
@CooperBox : Hmm. First i'd try what Dronecatcher said. On a side note, Pale Moon is no longer a rebranded and tweaked firefox. It's been using much of it's own code base, it's own rendering engine, etc for quiet a few releases now. I would advise staying away from firefox specific tweaks. Most mozilla/google privacy/spy code has been removed or disabled by default. You really shouldn't have to tweak it.

Try deleting ~/Library/Saved Application State/org.mozilla.palemoon.savedState
and
~/Library/Application Support/Pale Moon

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers

Ok, thanks Wicknix & Dronecatcher, your comments certainly helped fix it. The hidden directory was in fact within Library/Application Support. And I'll stay well away from further tweaks with PaleMoon in the future. :oops:

On a side issue, the search engine I use most frequently these days is QWANT, also DuckDuckGo, both of which respect ones privacy far more than the mastodon engines. Although I've set it as my home page, I note that QWANT is not supported/cannot be installed as an add-on due to a jetpack/SDK extension. Any possibility to change this in the future?
I note that DuckDuckGo appears to be the default search engine, so I can happily live with that.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Hello friendly SnowLeopard fans!
I have a Snow leopard question.
I have an extra USB Snow Leopard drive, is that worth anything?
would that drive work in any deserving mac, or just a macbook air?
as far as search engines
duck duck go does not go a lot of times, on the iPad. i get a lot of blank results for simple searches.
Ecosia seems worthy even though i don't believe their tree making scheme.

why doesn't apple include other search engines on their default?

have great day peoples!

miksat

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2018
Republic of Serbia
Hello friendly SnowLeopard fans!
I have a Snow leopard question.
I have an extra USB Snow Leopard drive, is that worth anything?
would that drive work in any deserving mac, or just a macbook air?
as far as search engines
duck duck go does not go a lot of times, on the iPad. i get a lot of blank results for simple searches.
Ecosia seems worthy even though i don't believe their tree making scheme.

why doesn't apple include other search engines on their default?

have great day peoples!

I'm pretty sure you can boot the stick on any Mac by holding Control when booting but I may be wrong

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
im inside again today, so I'm swamping SSD in the macbook air and installing a fresh edition of Snow Leopard.
I might replace/exchange the logic board as well.
any recommendations on a web browser beside firefox and pale moon?
thanks !

miksat

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2018
Republic of Serbia
im inside again today, so I'm swamping SSD in the macbook air and installing a fresh edition of Snow Leopard.
I might replace/exchange the logic board as well.
any recommendations on a web browser beside firefox and pale moon?
thanks !

There is no other up to date browser, however, Opera 25 works really well for me for YouTube, Twitter and Discord. It’s a lot faster than Firefox 45 ESR.

You might actually be able to run a newer version of Opera by changing the OS requirement in the .plist since you’re running on a 64-bit CPU.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
There is no other up to date browser, however, Opera 25 works really well for me for YouTube, Twitter and Discord. It’s a lot faster than Firefox 45 ESR.

You might actually be able to run a newer version of Opera by changing the OS requirement in the .plist since you’re running on a 64-bit CPU.

thanks for the reply
does that require typing?
opera was good, huge but good.
i just hope i can create a website with dreamweaver, scan from an old canon, rip my dvds with subtitles and print with a HP desk Jet ###
who knows, maybe i might leave the Snow leopard drive in the macbook air.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
boy, el Capitan hates being erased!
i sent an hour try to downgrade from EC to snow leopard using the original USB that came with the MBA, i feel stupid!
no luck! cmd r, option does not read the usb and won't erase EC
and too much bad info online.
any help would be nice, no rush nothing major, I just wan to see if things work with SL.
i downgraded from HS to EC in April, i should follow those steps.
i have nothing those since the drive is original and 60gb
again thanks!

miksat

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2018
Republic of Serbia
boy, el Capitan hates being erased!
i sent an hour try to downgrade from EC to snow leopard using the original USB that came with the MBA, i feel stupid!
no luck! cmd r, option does not read the usb and won't erase EC
and too much bad info online.
any help would be nice, no rush nothing major, I just wan to see if things work with SL.
i downgraded from HS to EC in April, i should follow those steps.
i have nothing those since the drive is original and 60gb
again thanks!

Try erasing the disk using Disk Utility from the Snow Leopard installer. Install rEFIt or something similar to boot into USB

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
did that, flashing folder with a ?
plugged n a time machine, now solid ?
i might put the good ssd with el cap just to get the MBA working, and try again some other time.
[doublepost=1533746168][/doublepost]
I'm pretty sure you can boot the stick on any Mac by holding Control when booting but I may be wrong
nope, they are unreadable and unbootable well in my elcap'd mba.
but, that works now.

Reactions: miksat

Abramski

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2016
Great work @wicknix ! Anything that supports otherwise obsoleted hardware is awesome in my books.

Pale Moon makes Snow Leopard a completely capable OS. It would be ideal to include official support for 32-bit hardware also as there are still a number of Core Duo machines kicking along. Some of those ‘06 MacBooks just won’t give up!

I am still using a 06 black macbook, because i have a mac pro at home and i like my blackbook! I got this macbook for 20 euro's and it was in a very rough shape! I blew new life and love in this machine and its working amazingly well! Even the battery holds a charge with only 133 cycles on it! I will continue using this lil macbook because i just use it for lightweight work, i do not need a more powerfull machine!

Reactions: AphoticD and z970
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.