Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

marcinsf

Suspended
Jul 4, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
@AphoticD
I keep reading about xxxx or USB on the old PPC G4 machines.
It's been my experience (both from having PPC and early intel macs with firewire), that they WILL NOT BOOT from a USB anything. It just won't show up in the boot picker. This machine has an empty drive so it needs to boot from an external something.
Please explain if people are getting their machines to boot up off a USB (drive, ssd or anything) as I have not been able to get this to work.

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
@AphoticD
It's been my experience (both from having PPC and early intel macs with firewire), that they WILL NOT BOOT from a USB anything. It just won't show up in the boot picker. This machine has an empty drive so it needs to boot from an external something.
Please explain if people are getting their machines to boot up off a USB (drive, ssd or anything) as I have not been able to get this to work.
Correct. Many PowerPC Macs had USB booting disabled via the boot picker, but you can use Open Firmware to provide boot commands which will overcome this limitation.

Start at the Open Firmware Wiki here:

There are many more posts on the subject:

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
Just to chime in on this, unless you’re comfortable with installing an unsupported OS, you’re safest bet would be to install 10.5.8 on the iMac G4.

In my experience this has been the case of;
1. Install Leopard 10.5 retail DVD (or USB)

Installing from a FireWire drive works fine, and easier than USB (no need for OF hackery).

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Can you name the models other that desktops that behave like that? Thanks.
From memory, most models had USB booting disabled via the boot picker, except for a handful;
  • iBook Clamshell 1st gen (sans-Firewire, so USB boot support was logical)
  • PowerBook G4 12" 867 (1st revision)
  • PowerBook G4 15" and 17" DLSD (final gen)
I have just about every model of PowerPC Mac laptop, so technically I could write up a list. Is there a model in particular you're interested in? I could give it a try.

Last edited:
Reactions: Project Alice

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
.. Is there a model in particular you're interested in? I could give it a try.
Not really. I just wanted to try my own trick of cloning System drive block by block and checking whether it works over USB on 'problematic' models. I would then report back. I have several G4 PowerBooks, 12" 867 including

Last edited:

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Not really. I just wanted to try my own trick of cloning System drive block by block and checking whether it works over USB on 'problematic' models. I would then report back. I have several G4 PowerBooks, 12" 867 including
I know we are derailing the thread, but I observed something last night that I hadn't noticed before; I curiously pulled out my Pismo and plugged in a Tiger install USB drive, held the option key and as expected, didn't see the drive appear in the boot picker. However, after rebooting and dropping into OF first, then issuing the `multi-boot` command, the USB drive did appear in the boot picker...

I tried repeating this on a PowerBook G4 12" and had the same result, except the USB device showed up in the boot picker with the USB symbol rather than a name (typically "Install Mac OS X DVD"), but it still booted off the USB device.

I wonder if triggering OF, then dropping into multi-boot might actually trigger a USB boot device to appear "natively"... I'll try it on a few other models after work tonight.

pc297

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
I know we are derailing the thread, but I observed something last night that I hadn't noticed before; I curiously pulled out my Pismo and plugged in a Tiger install USB drive, held the option key and as expected, didn't see the drive appear in the boot picker. However, after rebooting and dropping into OF first, then issuing the `multi-boot` command, the USB drive did appear in the boot picker...

I tried repeating this on a PowerBook G4 12" and had the same result, except the USB device showed up in the boot picker with the USB symbol rather than a name (typically "Install Mac OS X DVD"), but it still booted off the USB device.

I wonder if triggering OF, then dropping into multi-boot might actually trigger a USB boot device to appear "natively"... I'll try it on a few other models after work tonight.
Anyone knows if it can be set permanently?

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
For a note, anyone planning to install gcc11/gcc12 from my repo, hold on for a few days, do not do that. Macports suddenly switched the runtime to gcc13, which does not yet have needed fixes and is untested. Also, while installing gcc12 should still work, you will run into unneeded difficulties when using Macports, since the build system will try to force gcc13 (which will fail).

Anyone already using gcc11/gcc12, either install/update ports with sudo port -vn (which skips updating dependencies) or do not update anything for a few days.

I will try to handle fixing gcc13 soonish and then updating my repo and rebasing PR for old systems, but it may take 2–3 days. (I need to build gcc13, libgcc13, rebuild gcc12 and libgcc12 and make sure resulting runtime works.)

Reactions: RVE_ITSystems

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
barracuda156, I admire your commitment to it! 👍
(But I do hate MacPorts because of such "surprises" and because older stuff just disappears.)

Reactions: G4fanboy

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
barracuda156, I admire your commitment to it! 👍
(But I do hate MacPorts because of such "surprises" and because older stuff just disappears.)

1. Well, it sucks, but we got nothing better, realistically. It also allows you to maintain a local repo and prevent any surprises. A bit tedious, but perfectly functional.

2. Old stuff – you mean tarballs? Portfiles do not vanish, you can go back in history on GitHub and use any older ports you wish. Of course, it may not build due to dependencies being updated to incompatible versions, but then you could, well, either fix it, or make a dedicated repo just to build something (if the resulting thing is supposed to be used in isolation, like, say, VLC).

Reactions: G4fanboy

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
For a note, anyone planning to install gcc11/gcc12 from my repo, hold on for a few days, do not do that. Macports suddenly switched the runtime to gcc13, which does not yet have needed fixes and is untested. Also, while installing gcc12 should still work, you will run into unneeded difficulties when using Macports, since the build system will try to force gcc13 (which will fail).

Anyone already using gcc11/gcc12, either install/update ports with sudo port -vn (which skips updating dependencies) or do not update anything for a few days.

I will try to handle fixing gcc13 soonish and then updating my repo and rebasing PR for old systems, but it may take 2–3 days. (I need to build gcc13, libgcc13, rebuild gcc12 and libgcc12 and make sure resulting runtime works.)

GCC 13 builds fine on 10A190. I have minimized the patch to 3 lines.
Need to do some testing, but so far look good.

UPD. Okay, it has to be 4 lines, LOL. Otherwise once in a blue moon there is a linking error. I have updated the patch in my branch.

Last edited:
Reactions: G4fanboy and ojfd

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK

It varies across the PPC range. I can boot from a USB stick that's recognised at the boot picker screen without the need for Open Firmware fiddling and then install OS X on the following machines:

iMac G3/350.
eMac G4 1Ghz.
iBook G3 dual USB models ranging from 500Mhz to 800Mhz.

This is the method that I used to create the USB installer.

We really need a sticky for this subject...

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID

I noticed this myself awhile ago.

However I personally haven’t ever been able to get Mac OS X booting this way. It always results in the dreaded circle with a line through it.

Reactions: AphoticD

marcinsf

Suspended
Jul 4, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Correct. Many PowerPC Macs had USB booting disabled via the boot picker, but you can use Open Firmware to provide boot commands which will overcome this limitation.

Start at the Open Firmware Wiki here:

There are many more posts on the subject:
yep, found a few lines on issuing the bless command which did help.

Reactions: AphoticD

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
I found something amazing, LOL. Compare what 10a190 has:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/Headers/CFLocale.h
Code:
CF_EXPORT const CFStringRef kCFLocaleQuotationBeginDelimiterKey AVAILABLE_MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_6_AND_LATER;
CF_EXPORT const CFStringRef kCFLocaleQuotationEndDelimiterKey AVAILABLE_MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_6_AND_LATER;
CF_EXPORT const CFStringRef kCFLocaleAlternateQuotationBeginDelimiterKey AVAILABLE_MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_6_AND_LATER;
CF_EXPORT const CFStringRef kCFLocaleAlternateQuotationEndDelimiterKey AVAILABLE_MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_6_AND_LATER;
This is identical to a released 10.6 and this is what 3rd-party software expects.

Now, the framework itself instead got this:
Code:
nm -arch ppc -g /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation

0015a3e0 S _kCFLocaleAlternateQuotationBeginDelimiter
0015a3e4 S _kCFLocaleAlternateQuotationEndDelimiter
0015a3d8 S _kCFLocaleQuotationBeginDelimiter
0015a3dc S _kCFLocaleQuotationEndDelimiter

This is the result:
Code:
dyld: Symbol not found: _kCFLocaleQuotationEndDelimiterKey
  Referenced from: /opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_PPCSnowLeopardPorts_aqua_qt52/qt52-qtbase/work/qtbase-opensource-src-5.2.1/lib/QtCore.framework/Versions/5/QtCore
  Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation

An easy fix will be to change the header, but then also everything which uses it should be made aware of the different symbol name. Or backport the framework, or rebuild from a newer source.

Reactions: ojfd and maxoakland

internetzel

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
I found something amazing, LOL. Compare what 10a190 has:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/Headers/CFLocale.h
Code:
CF_EXPORT const CFStringRef kCFLocaleQuotationBeginDelimiterKey AVAILABLE_MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_6_AND_LATER;
CF_EXPORT const CFStringRef kCFLocaleQuotationEndDelimiterKey AVAILABLE_MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_6_AND_LATER;
CF_EXPORT const CFStringRef kCFLocaleAlternateQuotationBeginDelimiterKey AVAILABLE_MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_6_AND_LATER;
CF_EXPORT const CFStringRef kCFLocaleAlternateQuotationEndDelimiterKey AVAILABLE_MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_6_AND_LATER;
This is identical to a released 10.6 and this is what 3rd-party software expects.

Now, the framework itself instead got this:
Code:
nm -arch ppc -g /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation

0015a3e0 S _kCFLocaleAlternateQuotationBeginDelimiter
0015a3e4 S _kCFLocaleAlternateQuotationEndDelimiter
0015a3d8 S _kCFLocaleQuotationBeginDelimiter
0015a3dc S _kCFLocaleQuotationEndDelimiter

This is the result:
Code:
dyld: Symbol not found: _kCFLocaleQuotationEndDelimiterKey
  Referenced from: /opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_PPCSnowLeopardPorts_aqua_qt52/qt52-qtbase/work/qtbase-opensource-src-5.2.1/lib/QtCore.framework/Versions/5/QtCore
  Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation

An easy fix will be to change the header, but then also everything which uses it should be made aware of the different symbol name. Or backport the framework, or rebuild from a newer source.
I remember from Leopard WebKit times that one can build a new framework binary that passes through the symbols from another dynamic library and just adds some additional symbols - and one can also add alias symbols.
I don't remember the details and which tool made this possible - most probably otool and/or dyld.

Reactions: barracuda156

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
I remember from Leopard WebKit times that one can build a new framework binary that passes through the symbols from another dynamic library and just adds some additional symbols - and one can also add alias symbols.
I don't remember the details and which tool made this possible - most probably otool and/or dyld.

Oh, this is worth investigating for GCC too: currently we have to link to `libgcc_s` in addition to `libSystem`, because unlike 10.6.8, on pre-released 10.6 (likely nothing specific to PPC, but rather some version) a number of unwinder symbols are invisible in `libSystem`.

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
Here:

Apple Open Source DarwinBuild Roots

Further sources:

Apple Open Source Tarballs
Apple GitHub
Apple Open Source Releases (NEW Site)
Apple Open Source Release Mac OS X 10.5.8 (OLD Site)
Apple Open Source Release Mac OS X 10.6 (OLD Site)
Apple Open Source Developer Tools 3.2.1 Source (OLD Site)
Apple Open Source Seeds Tarballs (OLD Site)

Additional sources:

Xcode example projects
ADC connection (website and CD/DVDs)

Open Source Projects:

ComponentProjectVersionUsed In
AddressBookMetakit2.4.9.2Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
AirPortFamilywpa_supplicant0.3.9Mac OS X
AKCmdsLibTIFF3.8.2Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
amavisdamavisd-newamavisd-new-2.5.1Mac OS X
apacheapache2.2.11Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
apache_mod_fastcgimod_fastcgi2.4.2Mac OS X
apache_mod_perlmod_perl2.0.4Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
apache_mod_phpphp5.3.0Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
" "libpng1.2.37-
" "libjpeg6b-
apache_mod_scgi_pubsubmod_scgi_pubsub1.11-pubsubMac OS X
Apple_Gutenprint_PrinterSupportgutenprint5.2.3Mac OS X, Printing
AppleShareClientLibopenssl0.9.1cMac OS X, Xcode Tools
aprapr1.3.5Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
" "apr-util1.3.7-
autoconfautoconf2.61Xcode Tools
automakeautomake1.10Xcode Tools
awkawkOctober 23, 2007Mac OS X
AxisAxis1.4Server
bashbash3.2Mac OS X
bcbc1.06Mac OS X
BerkeleyDBBerkeleyDB4.6.21Mac OS X, Server
bind9bind99.6.0-P1Mac OS X
bisonbison2.3Xcode Tools
bsdiffbsdiff4.3Mac OS X
bsdmakebsdmake2006-04-12Xcode Tools
" "bsdmake-mk2005-10-18-
bzip2bzip21.0.5Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
cctoolsgas1.38.1Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
ChatServergettext0.16.1Server
" "glib2.16.6-
" "Jabber2.1.24.1-
" "libidn0.6.14-
" "mu-conference0.8.0-
" "Proxy651.1.1-
Chesssjeng11.2Mac OS X
clamavclamavclamav 0.95.2Server
clangclang090120Xcode Tools
" "llvm090120-
CommonCryptoopensslopenssl-0.9.6Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
" "Gladman AESaes-src-26-08-05-
" "Gladman SHA2sha-26-08-05-
croncron2007-02-15Mac OS X
cupsCUPS1.4.0 (r8750)Mac OS X
curlcurl7.19.4Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
cvscvs1.12.13Xcode Tools
cxxfiltbinutils070207Mac OS X
CyrusIMAPCyrus IMAP Servercyrus_imap_2.3.8Server
DataDetectorsCoreInternational Components for Unicode3.6Mac OS X
diffstatdiffstat1.41Mac OS X
distccdistcc2.18.5Xcode Tools
doc_cmdschecknr2004-09-18Mac OS X
" "colcrt2004-09-18-
" "getNAME2004-09-18-
" "makewhatis2004-09-18-
DSPasswordServerFrameworkOpenSSH3.8.1p1Mac OS X
dtraceDTraceon-src-20060828Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
efaxefax0.9a-001114Mac OS X
emacsEmacs22.1Mac OS X
enscriptenscript1.6.4Mac OS X
expatexpat2.0.1Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
FastCGIfcgi2.4.0Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
" "ruby-fcgi0.8.7-
fetchmailfetchmail6.3.8Mac OS X
filefile5.00Mac OS X
FileSynclookup3n/aMac OS X
flexflex2.5.35Xcode Tools
freeradiusfreeradius2.1.3Server, Xcode Tools
FTPServerwu-ftpd2.4.2b17Server
gdbgdb6.3.50-20050815Xcode Tools
glibtoolglibtool2.2.4Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
gm4m41.4.6Xcode Tools
gnudiffdiffutils2.8.1Mac OS X
gnumakemake3.81Xcode Tools
gnuservgnuserv3.12.4Mac OS X
gnutartar1.17Mac OS X
gnuzipgzip1.3.12Mac OS X
gperfgperf3.0.3Xcode Tools
gptgptRELENG_6_2_0_RELEASEMac OS X
grepgrep2.5.1Mac OS X
groffgroff1.19.2Mac OS X
hunspellhunspell1.2.8Mac OS X
" "sjp.pl20080831-
ICUInternational Components for Unicode4.0Mac OS X
ImageIOgiflibgiflib-4.1.6Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
" "libJP2libJP2-5.1-
" "libjpeglibjpeg-6b-
" "libOpenEXR-1.4.0a-
" "libRadiance-
" "libtifflibTIFF-3.8.2-
InternetServicesSupportexpat1.95.5Mac OS X
iodbciodbc3.52.6Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
ipsecracoon0.6.7Mac OS X
" "libipsec0.6.5-
" "setkey0.6.5-
" "racoonctl0.6.5-
JavaToolsAnt1.7Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
" "JUnit4.1-
" "Maven2.0.5-
" "Derby10.4.2.0-
KerberosLibrariesKerberosKfM-6.5fc1Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
kshksh2007-11-05Mac OS X
" "ksh2007-11-05-
lessless418Mac OS X
libarchivelibarchive2.6.2Mac OS X
Libcpp_kextGCC4.2.1Xcode Tools
libeditlibedit2.11Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
libeventlibevent1.4.4Mac OS X
libiconvlibiconv1.11Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
libpcaplibpcap1.0.0Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
libstdcxxgcc4.2.1Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
libstdcxx_40gcc4.0.0Xcode Tools
libutillibutil2005-02-13Mac OS X
" "libutil1.3-
libxml2libxml22.7.3Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
libxsltlibxslt1.1.24Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
lsoflsof4.82Mac OS X
lukemftplukemftp20070806Mac OS X
lukemftpdtnftpd20080929Mac OS X
mailmanmailmanmailman 2.1.12rc1Server
manman1.6cMac OS X
MeCabMeCab0.95Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
memcachedmemcached1.2.8Mac OS X
MeshKitFCollada3.05BMac OS X
MySQLMySQL5.0.82Server
nanonano2.0.6Mac OS X
nasmnasm0.98.40Xcode Tools
ncursesncurses5.5Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
neonneon0.28.3Mac OS X
net_snmpnet-snmp5.4.1Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
netcatncHEADMac OS X
NotificationServeridavoll0.7.3Mac OS X
" "wokkel0.3.1-
ntpntp4.2.4p4Mac OS X
OpenALOpenAL1.1Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
OpenBSMopenbsm1.1Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
OpenLDAPOpenLDAP2.4.11Mac OS X
" "NetBSD-
" "NetBSD-
openmpiopenmpi1.2.8Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
OpenPAMOpenPAM20071221Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
OpenSSHOpenSSH5.2p1Mac OS X
OpenSSL096OpenSSL0960.9.6lMac OS X
OpenSSL097OpenSSL0.9.7lMac OS X
OpenSSL098OpenSSL0.9.8jMac OS X, Xcode Tools
passwordserver_saslpasswordserver_sasl2.1.22Mac OS X
patch_cmdspatch2.5.8Mac OS X
pcrepcre7.8Mac OS X
perlperl5.10.0Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
" "perl5.8.9-
PodcastProducerClientCFrameworks3.0.5Mac OS X
portmapportmap2001-04-25Mac OS X
postfixPostfixpostfix-2.4.3Mac OS X, Server
procmailprocmail3.22Mac OS X
pyobjcpyobjctrunk-20090623Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
pyOpenSSLpyOpenSSL0.7Mac OS X
PyRSS2GenPyRSS2Gen1.0.0Mac OS X
pythonpython2.6Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
" "python2.5.4-
python_dateutilpython_dateutil1.2Mac OS X
python_modulesaltgraph0.6.8Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
" "bdist_mpkg0.4.3-
" "bonjour-py0.3-
" "macholib1.2.1.dev-r432-
" "modulegraph0.7.2.dev-r439-
" "numpy1.2.1-
" "py2app0.4.2-
" "setuptools0.6c9-
" "xattr0.5-
Quartz2DLibTIFF3.8.2Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
rcsrcs5.7Xcode Tools
RemoteDesktopkeysymdef.h1.4Mac OS X
" "Brian Gladman's Rijndael Implementation1.0-
" "AGRegex0.3-
" "VNC Reflector1.2.4-
" "MAPKIT1.4-
" "PCRE4.0-
" "JPEG Library6b-
removefilesrm1.2.8Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
rsyncrsync2.6.9Mac OS X
rubyruby1.8.7-p72Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
ruby_dnssdruby_dnssd0.6.0Mac OS X
ruby_libxmllibxml-ruby1.1.2Mac OS X
RubyCocoaRubyCocoa0.13.1Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
" "RubyNode0.1.3-
RubyGemsRubyGems1.3.1Mac OS X
RubyOnRailsacts_as_ferret0.4.3Mac OS X
" "capistrano2.5.2-
" "cgi_multipart_eof_fix2.5.0-
" "daemons1.0.10-
" "fastthread1.0.1-
" "ferret0.11.6-
" "gem_plugin0.2.3-
" "highline1.5.0-
" "hpricot0.6.164-
" "mongrel1.1.5-
" "needle1.3.0-
" "net-scp1.0.1-
" "net-sftp1.1.1-
" "net-sftp2.0.1-
" "net-ssh1.1.4-
" "net-ssh2.0.4-
" "net-ssh-gateway1.0.0-
" "rake0.8.3-
" "RedCloth4.1.1-
" "ruby-openid2.1.2-
" "sqlite3-ruby1.2.4-
" "termios0.9.4-
" "xmpp4r0.4-
" "actionmailer1.3.6-
" "actionpack1.13.6-
" "actionwebservice1.2.6-
" "activerecord1.15.6-
" "activesupport1.4.4-
" "rails1.2.6-
" "actionmailer2.2.2-
" "actionpack2.2.2-
" "activerecord2.2.2-
" "activeresource2.2.2-
" "activesupport2.2.2-
" "rails2.2.2-
sambasamba3.0.28aMac OS X
Sandboxtinyscheme1.38Mac OS X
screenscreen4.0.3Mac OS X
ScreenSharingkeysymdef.h1.4Mac OS X
" "Brian Gladman's Rijndael Implementation1.0-
" "VNC Reflector1.2.4-
" "JPEG Library6b-
SmartcardCCIDccid1.3.8Mac OS X
smbsmbfs1.3.6Mac OS X
" "mlrpconnv_89-
SpotlightSQLite3.1.3Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
SQLiteSQLite3.6.12Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
SquirrelMailSquirrelMail1.4.17Server
srmsrm1.2.8Mac OS X
subversionsubversion1.6.2Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
sudosudo1.7.0Mac OS X
svkSVKv2.2.1Xcode Tools
" "SVN-Dump0.04-
" "SVN-Mirror0.75-
swigswig1.3.31Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
tcltcl8.5.7Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
" "tk8.5.7-
" "tcl848.4.19-
" "tk848.4.19-
" "bwidget1.8.0-
" "expect5.44.1.11-
" "incrtcl3.4-
" "iwidgets4.0.2-
" "memchan2.2.1-
" "mk4tcl2.4.9.7-
" "tcllib1.11.1-
" "tclsoap1.6.7-
" "tclvfs1.4-
" "tclx8.4-
" "tclxml2.6-
" "tcldom2.6-
" "tclxslt2.6-
" "tdom0.8.3-
" "thread2.6.5-
" "tkcon2.5-
" "tkimg1.4-
" "tklib0.4.1.0-
" "tktable2.10-
" "tktreectrl2.2.8-
" "tls1.6-
" "trf2.1.3-
" "xotcl1.6.2-
" "quicktimetcl3.2-
" "snack2.2.10-
" "tclresource1.1.2-
" "tclae2.0.3-
" "tclapplescript1.0-
tcp_wrapperstcp_wrappers7.6-ipv6.4Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
tcpdumptcpdump4.0.0Mac OS X
tcshtcsh6.15.00Mac OS X
texi2htmltexi2html1.70Mac OS X
texinfotexinfo4.8Mac OS X
text_cmdsbanner2005-09-16Mac OS X
" "cat2005-09-16-
" "cksum2005-09-16-
" "col2005-09-16-
" "colrm2005-09-16-
" "column2006-09-19-
" "comm2005-09-16-
" "csplit2005-09-16-
" "cut2005-09-16-
" "ed2005-09-16-
" "expand2005-09-16-
" "fmt2005-09-16-
" "fold2005-09-16-
" "head2005-09-16-
" "join2005-09-16-
" "lam2005-09-16-
" "look2005-09-16-
" "md52005-09-16-
" "nl2005-09-16-
" "paste2005-09-16-
" "pr2005-09-16-
" "rev2005-09-16-
" "rs2005-09-16-
" "sed2005-09-16-
" "coreutils/sortcoreutils-5.93-
" "split2005-09-16-
" "tail2005-09-16-
" "tr2005-09-16-
" "ul2005-09-16-
" "unexpand2005-09-16-
" "uniq2005-09-16-
" "unvis2005-09-16-
" "vis2005-09-16-
" "wc2005-09-16-
tidytidy2006.11.1Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
TomcatTomcat6.0.18Server
TwistedTwisted8.2.0Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
uucpuucp1.07Mac OS X
vimvim7.2.108Mac OS X
" "vim7.2-
WebServerAdditionsmod_bw0.8Server
" "mod_encoding220021209-
" "mod_jk1.2.28-
" "mod_python3.3.1-
" "mod_xsendfile0.9-
WikiServerelementtree1.2.6-20050316Server
" "zanshin0.6b1-
" "bonjour-py0.2-
WikiServerUIprototype1.5.0_rc0Server
" "script.aculo.us1.6.4-
" "xmlrpc.js1.0b1-
wokkelwokkel0.3.1Mac OS X
wxWidgetswxWidgets2.8Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
X11appsappres1.0.1X11
" "bdftopcf1.0.1-
" "bitmap1.0.3-
" "editres1.0.3-
" "fonttosfnt1.0.4-
" "fslsfonts1.0.2-
" "fstobdf1.0.3-
" "iceauth1.0.2-
" "ico1.0.2-
" "listres1.0.1-
" "luit1.0.3-
" "mkfontdir1.0.4-
" "mkfontscale1.0.6-
" "oclock1.0.1-
" "rgb1.0.3-
" "sessreg1.0.4-
" "showfont1.0.2-
" "setxkbmap1.0.4-
" "twm1.0.4-
" "viewres1.0.1-
" "x11perf1.5-
" "xauth1.0.3-
" "xbitmaps1.0.1-
" "xcalc1.0.2-
" "xclipboard1.0.1-
" "xclock1.0.3-
" "xconsole1.0.3-
" "xcursorgen1.0.2-
" "xditview1.0.1-
" "xdm1.1.8-
" "xdpyinfo1.0.3-
" "xedit1.1.2-
" "xev1.0.3-
" "xeyes1.0.1-
" "xfd1.0.1-
" "xfontsel1.0.2-
" "xfs1.0.8-
" "xfsinfo1.0.2-
" "xgc1.0.1-
" "xhost1.0.2-
" "xinput1.4.1-
" "xkbcomp1.0.5-
" "xkeyboard-config1.3-
" "xkbevd1.0.2-
" "xkbprint1.0.1-
" "xkbutils1.0.1-
" "xkill1.0.1-
" "xload1.0.2-
" "xlogo1.0.1-
" "xlsatoms1.0.1-
" "xlsclients1.0.1-
" "xlsfonts1.0.2-
" "xmag1.0.2-
" "xman1.0.3-
" "xmessage1.0.2-
" "xmh1.0.1-
" "xmodmap1.0.3-
" "xmore1.0.1-
" "xpr1.0.2-
" "xprop1.0.4-
" "xrandr1.3.0-
" "xrdb1.0.5-
" "xrefresh1.0.2-
" "xrx1.0.2-
" "xset1.0.4-
" "xsetmode1.0.0-
" "xsetpointer1.0.1-
" "xsetroot1.0.2-
" "xsm1.0.1-
" "xstdcmap1.0.1-
" "xterm243-
" "xtrap1.0.2-
" "xvinfo1.0.1-
" "xwd1.0.2-
" "xwininfo1.0.4-
" "xwud1.0.1-
X11fonts-encodings1.0.0X11
" "font-adobe-100dpi1.0.0-
" "font-adobe-75dpi1.0.0-
" "font-adobe-utopia-100dpi1.0.1-
" "font-adobe-utopia-75dpi1.0.1-
" "font-adobe-utopia-type11.0.1-
" "font-alias1.0.1-
" "font-arabic-misc1.0.0-
" "font-bh-100dpi1.0.0-
" "font-bh-75dpi1.0.0-
" "font-bh-lucidatypewriter-100dpi1.0.0-
" "font-bh-lucidatypewriter-75dpi1.0.0-
" "font-bh-ttf1.0.0-
" "font-bh-type11.0.0-
" "font-bitstream-100dpi1.0.0-
" "font-bitstream-75dpi1.0.0-
" "font-bitstream-speedo1.0.0-
" "font-bitstream-type11.0.0-
" "font-cronyx-cyrillic1.0.0-
" "font-cursor-misc1.0.0-
" "font-daewoo-misc1.0.0-
" "font-dec-misc1.0.0-
" "font-ibm-type11.0.0-
" "font-isas-misc1.0.0-
" "1.0.0-
" "font-1.0.0-
" "font-1.0.0-
" "font-misc-ethiopic1.0.0-
" "font-misc-meltho1.0.0-
" "font-misc-misc1.0.0-
" "font-mutt-misc1.0.0-
" "font-schumacher-misc1.0.0-
" "font-screen-cyrillic1.0.0-
" "font-sony-misc1.0.0-
" "font-sun-misc1.0.0-
" "font-util1.0.1-
" "font-winitzki-cyrillic1.0.0-
" "font-xfree86-type11.0.1-
" "ttf-bitstream-vera1.10-
X11libscairo1.8.6X11
" "libAppleWM1.3.0-
" "libdmx1.0.2-
" "libfontenc1.0.4-
" "libFS1.0.1-
" "libICE1.0.5-
" "liblbxutil1.0.1-
" "liboldX1.0.1-
" "libpng1.2.35-
" "libSM1.1.0-
" "libX111.2.1-
" "libXau1.0.4-
" "libXaw1.0.4-
" "libXaw1.0.5-
" "libXcomposite0.4-
" "libXcursor1.1.9-
" "libXdamage1.1.1-
" "libXdmcp1.0.2-
" "libXevie1.0.2-
" "libXext1.0.5-
" "libXfixes4.0.3-
" "libXfont1.4.0-
" "libXfontcache1.0.4-
" "libXft2.1.13-
" "libXi1.2.1-
" "libXinerama1.0.3-
" "libxcb1.2-
" "libxkbfile1.0.5-
" "libxkbui1.0.2-
" "libXmu1.0.4-
" "libXp1.0.0-
" "libXpm3.5.7-
" "libXprintAppUtil1.0.1-
" "libXprintUtil1.0.1-
" "libXrandr1.3.0-
" "libXrender0.9.4-
" "libXres1.0.3-
" "libXScrnSaver1.1.2-
" "libXt1.0.5-
" "libXTrap1.0.0-
" "libXtst1.0.3-
" "libXv1.0.4-
" "libXvMC1.0.4-
" "libXxf86dga1.0.2-
" "libXxf86misc1.0.1-
" "libXxf86vm1.0.2-
" "pixman0.14.0-
" "xcb-util0.3.3-
" "xpyb1.1-
" "xtrans1.2.3-
X11miscgccmakedep1.0.2X11
" "lndirgit-2007.12.06-
" "makedepend1.0.1-
" "xorg-docs1.4-
" "xorg-sgml-doctools1.1-
X11protoxcb-proto1.4Mac OS X, X11
" "fontconfig2.6.0-
" "freetype2.3.9-
" "pkg-config0.23-
" "applewmproto1.3.0-
" "bigreqsproto1.0.2-
" "compositeproto0.4-
" "damageproto1.1.0-
" "dmxproto2.2.2-
" "dri2proto1.99.3-
" "evieext1.0.2-
" "fixesproto4.0-
" "fontcacheproto0.1.2-
" "fontsproto2.0.2-
" "glproto1.4.9-
" "inputproto1.5.0-
" "kbproto1.0.3-
" "printproto1.0.4-
" "randrproto1.3.0-
" "recordproto1.13.2-
" "renderproto0.9.3-
" "resourceproto1.0.2-
" "scrnsaverproto1.1.0-
" "trapproto3.4.3-
" "util-macros1.2.1-
" "videoproto2.2.2-
" "xcmiscproto1.1.2-
" "xextproto7.0.5-
" "xf86bigfontproto1.1.2-
" "xf86dgaproto2.0.3-
" "xf86driproto2.0.4-
" "xf86miscproto0.9.2-
" "xf86rushproto1.1.2-
" "xf86vidmodeproto2.2.2-
" "xineramaproto1.1.2-
" "xproto7.0.15-
" "xproxymanagementprotocol1.0.2-
X11serverMesaLib7.0.4Mac OS X, X11
" "MesaLib7.2-
" "MesaDemos7.2-
" "MesaGLUT7.2-
" "AppleSGLX57-
" "xorg-server1.4.2-apple45-
" "xorg-server1.6.0-
" "xinit1.1.1-
xarxar1.4Mac OS X, Xcode Tools
zipzip3.0Mac OS X
" "unzip5.52-
ZopeInterfaceZope3.5.1Mac OS X
zshzsh4.3.9Mac OS X

Do you know if we got everything to build libSystem from source?

All of a sudden, I have libdispatch built: https://ports.macports.org/port/libdispatch-legacy

Reactions: doctor_dog

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
UPD. Nah, ignore it, the header exists somewhere: https://opensource.apple.com/source...Kerberos5/Sources/include/kim/kim.h.auto.html
Just the build does not see it for some reason.

And it is not in Kerberos framework but somewhere else.

Code:
In file included from /System/Library/Frameworks/Kerberos.framework/Headers/Kerberos.h:41:0,
                 from /opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_PPCSnowLeopardPorts_www_arctic-fox/arctic-fox/work/Arctic-Fox-d47de016ca126fbb704adb4b49e862640f037c2d/extensions/auth/nsAuthGSSAPI.cpp:30,
                 from /opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_PPCSnowLeopardPorts_www_arctic-fox/arctic-fox/work/Arctic-Fox-d47de016ca126fbb704adb4b49e862640f037c2d/obj-ff-dbg/extensions/auth/Unified_cpp_extensions_auth0.cpp:11:
/System/Library/Frameworks/Kerberos.framework/Headers/KerberosLogin.h:28:26: fatal error: Kerberos/kim.h: No such file or directory
 #include <Kerberos/kim.h>
                          ^
compilation terminated.

Possibly, a workable solution without overwriting system headers will be building against a later SDK (i.e. passing it as sysroot). That may introduce unknown complications, but on the other hand Macports does it here and there for Intel.

Last edited:

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021

I wanted to write “Let’s ask Tobias” and then realised it is you :)

Perhaps GCC does that with `libgcc_s` on older macOS, I could try looking into their code.

educovas

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2019
Curitiba, Brasil
QECI.png

After 4 years, yesterday i finally fixed my PowerBook G4 and decided to test the 10.6 PowerPC developer beta and after playing a bit with 10.6 10A190, I was able to develop a patch set to enable QE/CI for my ATI Mobility Radeon 9700.

All binaries are from 10.5.8 and I had to re-add the 9700 kexts and bundles, downgrade OpenGL.framework, QuartzCore.framework and CoreGraphics.framework. Both QuartzCore and CoreGraphics required stubs to load properly.

I think these patches should work for other AGP GPUs if combined with the correct kexts and bundles but I can't test since this PowerBook5,5 is the only PowerPC machine I have.

Attachments

• CoreGraphics.framework.zip
    8.9 MB · Views: 11
  • Extensions.zip
    3 MB · Views: 9
  • OpenGL.framework.zip
    14.4 MB · Views: 7
  • QuartzCore.framework.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 8

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
View attachment 2370068

After 4 years, yesterday i finally fixed my PowerBook G4 and decided to test the 10.6 PowerPC developer beta and after playing a bit with 10.6 10A190, I was able to develop a patch set to enable QE/CI for my ATI Mobility Radeon 9700.

All binaries are from 10.5.8 and I had to re-add the 9700 kexts and bundles, downgrade OpenGL.framework, QuartzCore.framework and CoreGraphics.framework. Both QuartzCore and CoreGraphics required stubs to load properly.

I think these patches should work for other AGP GPUs if combined with the correct kexts and bundles but I can't test since this PowerBook5,5 is the only PowerPC machine I have.

This is promising, I will try it.

Do you think we could get ATI 1900XT (i.e. PCIe) to be supported?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.