Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davekarn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2007
Seeing as how all we've really seen so far are reviewers dragging knives down their phones and throwing them in a bag and of bolts, I'm curious as to how the Jet Black phones are really holding up in real life use. I'm getting mine delivered tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences!

Reactions: Rina11

rsbacon

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2015
I was surprised by this when playing with one at the Apple Store today. Much more grip than the matte black version.

Honestly, I never felt comfortable going without a case on an iPhone going back to iPhone 5. This is the first phone that I'm rocking without a case and in 3 days of use it hasn't come close to slipping out of my hand*

Looking at the glossy finish you would expect it to be super slippery but it's the exact opposite. Feels sort of like a car's window glass

*hopefully I didn't jinx myself :eek:

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Honestly, I never felt comfortable going without a case on an iPhone going back to iPhone 5. This is the first phone that I'm rocking without a case and in 3 days of use it hasn't come close to slipping out of my hand*

Looking at the glossy finish you would expect it to be super slippery but it's the exact opposite. Feels sort of like a car's window glass

*hopefully I didn't jinx myself :eek:
Yeah, but that's probably why it's such a fingerprint magnet.

Reactions: Rina11

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
It seems more grippy than my Space Gray 6s. No scratches but I didn't really get obvious scratches with the glossy "jet black" iPhone 3GS after two days either.

The only reason Apple provided the disclaimer is most likely because it's been a few years since we had a glossy black iPhone and so people are no longer used to scratches.

Also, if you read the disclaimer more carefully it actually doesn't say it's more prone to scratches, only that they show scratches more readily. This is really no different from black cars, which show more scratches despite having the exact same scratches as those on lighter color cars.

joeptp

macrumors regular
May 13, 2014
Austin, TX
Loving it! Besides the amazing color of it, the grip is great coming from a space grey 6.

Too early to say but so far the back is still pristine and no scratches. Just fingerprints.

Going naked on this one but ordered a clear film skin for the backside only to try out and see if I like it. I always place my phone on hard surfaces so don't want to have to worry about that.

Reactions: davekarn

zea mays

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
Lots of fingerprints and grip. Zero scratches.

Ditto this. Using it in an Apple Silicone case for now, just like my 6. No scratches, lots of fingerprints. Will be using a BSE skin on the back and RhinoShield CrashGuard bumper when they release them in October. Will post some pics tomorrow in the natural light.

davekarn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2007
Ditto this. Using it in an Apple Silicone case for now, just like my 6. No scratches, lots of fingerprints. Will be using a BSE skin on the back and RhinoShield CrashGuard bumper when they release them in October. Will post some pics tomorrow in the natural light.
So wiping off with a microfiber cloth has been sufficient so far for you? Are fingerprints just a quick wipe or does it take some effort?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.