Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ben824

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
GA
I went to go look at a recent screen shot I took and under the "Albums" tab at the bottom of the native photos app the "Camera Roll" album that used to be at the top that had all my photos in there that were stored in the phone in the order that they were taken, is now gone.

Did they mention that they were doing this in the key note? I only caught bits and pieces of it and haven't gone back to watch the whole thing start to finish.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
I don't hve the beta installed, but it seems like they might want to somehow tie it in with iCloud Drive? Where are the photos you've just taken if there's no camera roll?

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
I went to go look at a recent screen shot I took and under the "Albums" tab at the bottom of the native photos app the "Camera Roll" album that used to be at the top that had all my photos in there that were stored in the phone in the order that they were taken, is now gone.

Did they mention that they were doing this in the key note? I only caught bits and pieces of it and haven't gone back to watch the whole thing start to finish.

It's under the moments, collections stuff. You can turn it off in settings.. I believe I saw a setting on some screenshots.

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011

Under Photo Settings, turn off "iCloud Photo Library" and you should return back to normal

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Camera Roll as an Album might not be visible (perhaps a big) but all the photos should still be there if you select Photos (instead of Albums) at the bottom of the Photos app.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So does iCloud photo library replace photo stream? God I would love that. Rather than having camera roll and photo stream just have things in one spot accessible on all devices.

deep1

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
Does photos on icloud photo library counts towards 5gb free allowance?

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
How do you get to "Events from my Mac"? I can't find it. I see the photos but not the actual events. Considering this is how I've organized my photos since 2006, it'd be a huge pain not to have this!

jonbauer

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011
How do you get to "Events from my Mac"? I can't find it. I see the photos but not the actual events. Considering this is how I've organized my photos since 2006, it'd be a huge pain not to have this!

Very interested in the answer to this! I sync using iPhoto and NEED to see all of my individual events!

- Jon

shyamatix

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
I see new album called 'Recently added'. Perhaps this is the replacement to 'Camera roll'.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I dont know if its gone or not but I do know I want my picture right there and I dont want to go through any crap to get to it

mkstewartesq@co

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
I dont know if its gone or not but I do know I want my picture right there and I dont want to go through any crap to get to it

Agreed. I always kept my camera roll fairly small, but used it as a bit of a reference tool - for example, taking pics in a store of items I wanted to refer to later, or a jokey picture I would send to my daughter every time she annoyed me. Others were just pictures that I wanted to keep but were not important enough to sync back to my Mac or organize in an album.

As such, I had certain photos in my camera roll that were a year or more old; now the only way to find them is to go to the "all photos" and scroll by date - through literally thousands of photos (including those synced from my Mac) from 2007 onward to find them. This is a HUGE issue for me, and I don't see any indication that it's a "temporary thing" that will be restored in a later beta.

M

----------

I see new album called 'Recently added'. Perhaps this is the replacement to 'Camera roll'.

It's really not. I'm not sure exactly where the photos in "recently added" come from - I don't use "my photostream" and only rarely used "shared photostreams" - but it seems to consist of around 1000 of the last pictures saved to the camera roll/uploaded to photostream, sorted by DATE.

So, in my case, best as I can tell: I had pictures on my camera roll from pre-May 2014. After a cruise in May 2014, I uploaded pictures to a shared photostream to share with friends. Then I took some pictures with my phone in late May 2014. What "recently added" does is just (apparently) go back 1000 pictures from the most-recent picture.

So for me, my "recently added" includes the pictures I took on my phone in late May 2014 and (some of) the pictures I added to a shared photostream in May 2014 - but all of my earlier pictures in camera roll "fall out" of "recently added" and can only be accessed by scrolling through all of my years of pictures to find them by date taken.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
how does it work w cellular data if you opt out it just uploads on wifi? what if you want to view them in an area with no signal are there recents?

sorry didnt DL ios 8

joshbarnies

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2013
So as of right now, I'm not the only one that is having trouble having photos taken from my phone synced to my computer even though iCloud Photo Library is turned on, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.