Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yabot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
So i've been holding out for the new iPads for a while, after finally checking them out a week ago i came away a little disappointed, so came on here to look at reviews etc. After seeing how the retina ipad mini has been slated for its gamut i gave it a little think longer.

So today i went to the Apple store to buy an iPad, it was going to be 32Gb, and slate grey, but size was undecided, after groping them both, feeling their sexual curves and cool aluminium bodies, one larger, one smaller.... i walked out of the Apple store, and into Argos, where i purchased a Nexus 7 32Gb for £239.99.

Saved my self £220 if i bought the air and £160 if i had of bought the mini both 32Gb!

I am very happy i did this, dont knock it till you try it, screens awesome and i can put anything i want it... as opposed to the iPad...

Last edited:

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
This thread is not going to end well. Before it gets ugly, let me congratulate you on your purchase (I own a Nexus 7.2 as well) and wish you success and happiness in your tablet adventures.

And good luck with this thread.

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
So i've been holding out for the new iPads for a while, after finally checking them out a week ago i came away a little disappointed, so came on here to look at reviews etc. After seeing how the retina ipad mini has been slated for its gamut i gave it a little think longer.

So today i went to the Apple store to buy an iPad, it was going to be 32Gb, and slate grey, but size was undecided, after groping them both, feeling their sexual curves and cool aluminium bodies, one larger, one smaller.... i walked out of the Apple store, and into Argos, where i purchased a Nexus 7 32Gb for £239.99.

Saved my self £220 if i bought the air and £160 if i had of bought the mini.

I am very happy i did this, dont knock it till you try it.

I'm curious, are you in the Apple eco-system or Google/android one, or Microsoft/Outlook.com/Hotmail, or none?

As an android to apple convert myself, I always find it curious when people choose android now, not saying it's right or wrong, to each his/her own. I hope you like it.

The only thing I miss from android is the Nexus S boot screen.

yabot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
I'm curious, are you in the Apple eco-system or Google/android one, or Microsoft/Outlook.com/Hotmail, or none?

As an android to apple convert myself, I always find it curious when people choose android now, not saying it's right or wrong, to each his/her own. I hope you like it.

The only thing I miss from android is the Nexus S boot screen.

I've got a 2013 Rmbp 15inch, and iPhone 5, i've also owned iPad 2 and iPad Mini.

Just find the new iPads boring, extremely predictable, and was looking for a new experience.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
So errr, went to buy an iPad, from Apple, and instead ended up in Argos.

I've got a 2013 Rmbp 15inch, and iPhone 5, i've also owned iPad 2 and iPad Mini.

Just find the new iPads boring, extremely predictable, and was looking for a new experience.

I had a nexus 7 2013, but I sold it and bought the air. It suited my needs better.
To each his own. The nexus is a great tablet.

Last edited:

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
Congratulations on your purchase.

I was tempted by the Nexus, especially as it had a much higher resolution than the older mini. The main thing that held me back was the smaller thinner screen, which just isn't helpful for reading pdfs.

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK
This thread is not going to end well. Before it gets ugly, let me congratulate you on your purchase (I own a Nexus 7.2 as well) and wish you success and happiness in your tablet adventures.

And good luck with this thread.
Similarly, I suspect this will end in flames (got some asbestos leg wear?) but congratulations from me too. I could not do what you have done. OK, could is too strong a word, would not have done what you have done. I am very much invested in the Apple ecosystem and have the wherewithal to be there. That's my choice and I make it knowingly. I have just purchased a Nexus tablet for someone else for similar reasons to you - they are content with Android and the price differential (£190 on the 32GB wifi model) made it a sensible choice. Enjoy your purchase, but probably stay away from this thread for a while... ;)

A

yabot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
What is it lacking in your opinion? Does the Nexus provide that feeling?

I only got it this morning, i havent charged it yet and have used it in lectures, had a few games on it etc. I havent found anything majorily lacking on it yet, perhaps my only gripe is the back button i think would be better on the right (softkeys)... as its where my thumb sits. Other than that is pretty awesome.

----------

Similarly, I suspect this will end in flames (got some asbestos leg wear?) but congratulations from me too. I could not do what you have done. OK, could is too strong a word, would not have done what you have done. I am very much invested in the Apple ecosystem and have the wherewithal to be there. That's my choice and I make it knowingly. I have just purchased a Nexus tablet for someone else for similar reasons to you - they are content with Android and the price differential (£190 on the 32GB wifi model) made it a sensible choice. Enjoy your purchase, but probably stay away from this thread for a while... ;)

A

Haha, i've been here long enough to know what happens in these dark posts.

I think people need to stop god worshipping Apple and realise that there are other (sometimes better), brands out there, for better value, and better user experience, obviously if you are invested in the Apple ecosystem its often a better choice for most, but i am as well, and couldnt be happier! :).

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York

Ah, you know, I've gotten that feeling before but can't justify spending the money to have a different platform floating around, especially having been there previously. I see how android has come a long way in the last 18 months, sometimes I check ebay for an original Nexus 7, just to have it I guess but end up never going for it.

How do you get around all the stuff that integrates so nicely between Mac & iOS? That'd be a deal breaker for me with iLife & iWork in iCloud now and iTunes Match.

I guess a lot of this depends on how you use the stuff you use, so I'm curious. I hope you like the Nexus, if you go android I think Nexus is the only way to really go android. You can get silly and check out XDA and get all down and dirty with those devices, I used to have a blast doing that stuff.

yabot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Ah, you know, I've gotten that feeling before but can't justify spending the money to have a different platform floating around, especially having been there previously. I see how android has come a long way in the last 18 months, sometimes I check ebay for an original Nexus 7, just to have it I guess but end up never going for it.

How do you get around all the stuff that integrates so nicely between Mac & iOS? That'd be a deal breaker for me with iLife & iWork in iCloud now and iTunes Match.

I guess a lot of this depends on how you use the stuff you use, so I'm curious. I hope you like the Nexus, if you go android I think Nexus is the only way to really go android. You can get silly and check out XDA and get all down and dirty with those devices, I used to have a blast doing that stuff.

I dont really use iLife etc, the only reason i kept iPhone is because i use it as an iPod, in my car, skiing, gym etc etc. And as for my mac, well i hate windows and always broke Pc's.

But yeah i like the freedom on my nexus at the moment, and im liking the new experience, if i'd bought the iPad i would be bored of it by now.

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
I dont really use iLife etc, the only reason i kept iPhone is because i use it as an iPod, in my car, skiing, gym etc etc. And as for my mac, well i hate windows and always broke Pc's.

But yeah i like the freedom on my nexus at the moment, and im liking the new experience, if i'd bought the iPad i would be bored of it by now.

Cool, that should work out good then.

Thanks for sharing your experience here, I think it's good to add to the conversation and I hope that it doesn't end in flames. Personally there's no way I could go back to android, but I feel nostalgic about it now and then, especially the custom ROMs!

...checking ebay again....

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA

Saved my self £220 if i bought the air and £160 if i had of bought the mini both 32Gb!

I am very happy i did this, dont knock it till you try it, screens awesome and i can put anything i want it... as opposed to the iPad...

Hey the iPad isn't for everyone. However for me it fits into all my devices which in fact are all apple. Plus I really do love iTunes and iPad apps blow away the competition.

yabot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Cool, that should work out good then.

Thanks for sharing your experience here, I think it's good to add to the conversation and I hope that it doesn't end in flames. Personally there's no way I could go back to android, but I feel nostalgic about it now and then, especially the custom ROMs!

...checking ebay again....

Ahhh i say do it, the most expensive one isnt even near the starting cost of the base iPad! Can't go wrong!

And as i just watched the new Hunger Games... LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Having the best of both worlds is really a nonissue if you're willing to branch out of the proprietary world. MANY applications are cross-platform compatible and with the wide implementation of Cloud networking (specifically Dropbox or Drive), there really isn't a need to stay in an Apple-only ecosystem.

It's great that you've stepped out of your comfort zone, OP. It's hard to convince others to do the same, but at the same time, if iOS/OSX provides all the necessary functions for the end user, then it is totally understandable.

nanogirl21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Midwest United States

ok...

yabot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Hey the iPad isn't for everyone. However for me it fits into all my devices which in fact are all apple. Plus I really do love iTunes and iPad apps blow away the competition.

Hmmmm i think you'll find (as i did), that probably 95% of apps are now on google play. All of mine were.

----------

Having the best of both worlds is really a nonissue if you're willing to branch out of the proprietary world. MANY applications are cross-platform compatible and with the wide implementation of Cloud networking (specifically Dropbox or Drive), there really isn't a need to stay in an Apple-only ecosystem.

It's great that you've stepped out of your comfort zone, OP. It's hard to convince others to do the same, but at the same time, if iOS/OSX provides all the necessary functions for the end user, then it is totally understandable.

Yeah, i really didn't need an iPad perfectly replicating my iPhone without text/phone services. Seems a lot of money just for a bigger screen essentially. Well i hope my experience persuades other apple worshipers to consider wondering into the unknown and trying new stuff, i did and i am glad.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
It's not a saving its a worse product.

I'm sure threads like this are from people who were always going to buy Android. If you want an ipad you would have bought one.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I think people need to stop god worshipping Apple and realise that there are other (sometimes better), brands out there

Insulting other people isn't the way to foster intelligent discussion. The above suggests an intent to foster dissent, aka trolling.

Perhaps that wasn't your goal, but it is how it looks.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Insulting other people isn't the way to foster intelligent discussion. The above suggests an intent to foster dissent, aka trolling.

Why come on an Apple forum to say you purchased an Android anyway these posts are just to annoy people. If you bought an Andoird great enjoy it but no need to come on here and say ipad is rubbish.

yabot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
It's not a saving its a worse product.

I'm sure threads like this are from people who were always going to buy Android. If you want an ipad you would have bought one.

Hmmm, no thing is, your wrong. I had 2 iPads... and i sold them, they were boring and the same as my iPhone. I actually sold my Samsung S3 a while back and got an iPhone again, so AGAIN, your wrong. However, android on a tablet i think is far superior if your using it for lots of films, different formats, etc etc, especially as i can download VLC and other software on it.

----------

No, it wasnt, but the impression i get from a lot of people on here is they see any other brand name and slate it without knowing or trying it. People buy Apple because of the logo, the looks, and the simplicity and because they like to fit in with society and their demographic. My friend hated the Nexus today in uni, however after showing her around it abit and what it can do that an iPad can't, all whilst costing the best part of half the price, i think she'll be ordering one as well.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Hope you dont end up having touchscreen issues and GPS issues that many Nexus 7 owners are now experiencing. I'm sure they have a Nexuscare+ warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.