Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2017
I wiped my iPad and restored it from a backup after first deleting all mail accounts. No luck. Mail still problematic. But never on my iPhone.

Sgt93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
TX
I logged out of iCloud and back in and the Mail app seems to work correctly now. I sent myself a test email and it promptly loaded with the preview lines.

I just did this again and still no luck.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
It looks like resetting iCloud on the iPhone 7 also fixed my iPad mini sync issues. This might mean that there are issues with both client and server that are cleared up by a problem on one device.

It’s a pain in the neck to have had to endure this with no guidance from Apple on how to fix it. Fortunately there is this forum.

Reactions: thewhitehart

Sgt93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
TX
Just a note: I only had the Mail lag problem with iCloud mail. My other email accounts (Gmail, Yahoo, Work) were fine.

So I’ve been playing with it more and added another email. Neither were working, except when I have the contact marked as a VIP; then the emails push and notify. With VIP off for the contact I get no push or notification from either account.

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2017
The mail app is absolute garbage. My outlook mail won’t even work at all. Just stays stuck at “Checking for mail” and then I get an account error. Apple is such a joke. It’s absurd they can’t fix this issue

Me too. Mail just hangs. What I have also seen is that when my iPad is stuck checking for mail, the iPhone pops up a message asking for my Exchange password. So something is definitely wrong.

ablatt

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
Has everyone's email magically started working properly or has everybody been worn down and given up?

althaur

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
MD, USA
Last night I opened my mail to look at an old email. I had ZERO new messages showing on the icon. I opened mail and suddenly 13 emails downloaded several hours after they were received. I was somewhat annoyed, but indifferent, to the notification of email requiring a pull-down to refresh the email screen. This pushed me a little beyond annoyed though, especially since some of them were work related. It's like the email problem is just getting worse.

Cinimod1000

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2016
Has everyone's email magically started working properly or has everybody been worn down and given up?

Still using the native Mail app, but my iCloud account often requires the app be force closed before it will refresh again. Zero problems with the Exchange365 work account.....

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK
I gave up...I’ve been using the Outlook app for my work email since iOS13 came out.
First I didnt like Outlook but boy i have grown up on it so much that i love it. I dont have a single mail issue with Outlook now.

Last edited:

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
I’m quite happy with Outlook. Push is reliable, and it has a lot of nice features but there is one thing that drives me nuts. If outlook is switched out of the foreground or if you put the phone to sleep for more than a minute it will unload from memory. So if I were to search for an email and open it then my phone screen goes off due to inactivity for more than a minute, when I wake the phone outlook will have to reload and it loses where I left off. Meaning I’ll have to search for that email again. It doesn’t happen on my other phone with iOS 12.4.1 so I suspect it’s the super aggressive memory management of iOS 13. If the phone screen goes to sleep and I wake it in less than a minute then Outlook picks up where I left off. I’ve checked the logs and outlook is not crashing so it’s the OS that’s unloading it. This is on a brand new phone with fresh iOS and all apps installed from scratch. I didn’t restore anything from backup. It’s pretty ironic that my 2GB ram iPhone SE is better at multitasking than this 4GB iPhone 11

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
(this was a post I just made to another thread) So I have been playing around with Mail since iOS 13 and have determined that if I add an Outlook account to Mail I have no issue receiving iCloud notifications, when I delete the Outlook account I no longer receive the iCloud notifications in a timely matter. Basically I have to manually update my iCloud account. It seems the Mail app is in a constant state of inactivity if only connected to the iCloud server. Interested in anyone else trying my experiment and seeing what the results are.

Sgt93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
TX
Like I’ve said before, if I have someone marked as a VIP, I’ve been receiving a push email and notification. If not, I have it manually check iCloud.

It’s unbelievable that this has not been fixed yet.

Beelzbub

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2012
Mail worked fine for me before the last update. Still buggy with the message loading thing, but the alerts worked. Since the last update, my work email account will not alert me. My personal email does. I have deleted all accounts, re added them, same thing. My back up phone (an SE running a version of iOS 12) works fine on both accounts. Outlook app works fine. My only gripe with that and I guess they are minor in the grand scheme of things if Apple cannot get this fixed, I have no way to preview the message in 3D touch like I can with the stock mail app, I use that a ton for work. And the second is the sound, I cannot stand any of the sounds for mail notification in the Outlook app. However I may just have to suck it up and and use it because it does work well with email.

cflem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
Texas
(this was a post I just made to another thread) So I have been playing around with Mail since iOS 13 and have determined that if I add an Outlook account to Mail I have no issue receiving iCloud notifications, when I delete the Outlook account I no longer receive the iCloud notifications in a timely matter. Basically I have to manually update my iCloud account. It seems the Mail app is in a constant state of inactivity if only connected to the iCloud server. Interested in anyone else trying my experiment and seeing what the results are.

Interesting.

Sgt93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
TX
13.3 is out. Downloading now. It says fixes an issues with mail downloading. We will see.

Kev_D

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2019
Mail app still not working properly here either. I wish Outlook for iOS had an option to customize the lockscreen notifications (only show sender & subject for privacy reasons) like it has on Catalina. If that were an option on iOS I would switch in a heartbeat because the native Mail app is just ridiculously unreliable right now. I've sent feedback to Apple about Mail after every update (and convincing my coworkers to do the same), but I feel like I'm ready to give up on that...

13paul13

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2019
iOS and iPadOS 13.3 seems (from early testing) to have fixed the following for me on my hotmail.com and outlook.com accounts:
  1. Sent mail no longer shows two of the same message in the sent items folder.
  2. Having received an email notification, upon opening the app from the home screen the new email messages are already there listed - no need to pull to refresh for them to appear.
Issues still present are:

• Clicking on an email notification banner doesn’t take you to that actual email and the app freezes for a few seconds.
  • On iPhone only, when I have read the new email, if I use the down arrow button within the email to go to the next email I have to press the down arrow button twice to move to the next email (I only have to press it the once on iPad as per the expected behaviour of the button).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.