Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
iPhone 7 Plus + iOS 13.3; Mail bug remains for me since iOS 13.0

I only have iCloud Mail enabled at the moment, it still have the issue. I am also getting left-over/orphaned e-mails on my  Watch, as well. Frustrating.

Today, I pulled my 4S out of the drawer and it's charging now. I'm legit ready to just give up on iOS altogether at this point but not until after the New Year.

Meanwhile, I am having zero issues using Outlook (app) with my Work (e.g., Exchange) e-mail. --I had to switch it because mail wouldn't update or send.

I've had an iPhone since the 3G, and I am willing to put my chips down on a fix showing up in iOS 14 at the very earliest. --A feckless move but not unprecedented.

Reactions: scouser75

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Went ahead and tried this ... you are correct about reminders.
The time delay on Mac vs iOS - that has been present for me since the launch of 13. It may shorten or lengthen, however it has been present throughout (retina MacBook 2015)
Phew! So it’s not just me! Who else on here is getting this issue? Im using a 2009 Mac Pro and El Capitan.

the odd thing is, if I use the iPhone to “remind me later” the reminder delay cuts across to the mac. But if I “remind me later on mac” it only delays after a new notification arrives on the phone.

Apple surely must be aware of this.
[automerge]1576276488[/automerge]

I only have iCloud Mail enabled at the moment, it still have the issue. I am also getting left-over/orphaned e-mails on my  Watch, as well. Frustrating.

Today, I pulled my 4S out of the drawer and it's charging now. I'm legit ready to just give up on iOS altogether at this point but not until after the New Year.

Meanwhile, I am having zero issues using Outlook (app) with my Work (e.g., Exchange) e-mail. --I had to switch it because mail wouldn't update or send.

I've had an iPhone since the 3G, and I am willing to put my chips down on a fix showing up in iOS 14 at the very earliest. --A feckless move but not unprecedented.
Same here. My only major issue of doing so is I use my mac for business and therefore am tied in to the eco system.
if there is a way of seamlessly using android with a .mac email, Photos etc, please let me know and I will jump ship too.

Reactions: dk001

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018

if there is a way of seamlessly using android with a .mac email, Photos etc, please let me know and I will jump ship too.

Bit dramatic to leave a whole platform over 1 or 2 apps. If the Gmail app was that great millions on Android wouldnt be using a third party app. Outlook on Android has 4.5 million reviews. Just one app. Clearly people arent sticking with the Gmail app or whatever duplicate the manufacturer puts on the phone

And good luck getting any OS updates or other bugs getting fixed that Android has.

Just isnt worth it over 1 or 2 apps app. Use a 3rd party mail app; you may end up doing the same on Android anyway and not solve anything other than shooting yourself in the foot really. Same with Reminders. Android has no stock reminders app, so just use a 3rd party like Wunderlist which you will have to on android anyway. Wunderlist even integrates into the Outlook app calendar.

Last edited:

DeanCorp

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
I still think Gmail app is faster than Outlook for receiving mail (provided you have a Google for Work Domain)

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
I still think Gmail app is faster than Outlook for receiving mail (provided you have a Google for Work Domain)

Maybe that 2.45682 second difference.

But try attaching a file in the Gmail app from Files app, Dropbox, Onedrive, etc. That would be a no go; can only use their own Drive service (which is anti-competitive IMO)

Also can only see achieved/sent/etc from that account so if you have multiple accounts (Gmail or not) you have to be flipping between them. Its not a combined sent, combined Archive like most other apps do it and stock.

It's a poorly designed app overall IMO.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
Phew! So it’s not just me! Who else on here is getting this issue? Im using a 2009 Mac Pro and El Capitan.

the odd thing is, if I use the iPhone to “remind me later” the reminder delay cuts across to the mac. But if I “remind me later on mac” it only delays after a new notification arrives on the phone.

Apple surely must be aware of this.
[automerge]1576276488[/automerge]

Same here. My only major issue of doing so is I use my mac for business and therefore am tied in to the eco system.
Server settings for manual mail configuration
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202304

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
Bit dramatic to leave a whole platform over 1 or 2 apps. If the Gmail app was that great millions on Android wouldnt be using a third party app. Outlook on Android has 4.5 million reviews. Just one app. Clearly people arent sticking with the Gmail app or whatever duplicate the manufacturer puts on the phone

And good luck getting any OS updates or other bugs getting fixed that Android has.

Just isnt worth it over 1 or 2 apps app. Use a 3rd party mail app; you may end up doing the same on Android anyway and not solve anything other than shooting yourself in the foot really. Same with Reminders. Android has no stock reminders app, so just use a 3rd party like Wunderlist which you will have to on android anyway. Wunderlist even integrates into the Outlook app calendar.

One or two apps are part of the bigger problem, e-mail is ostensibly the most important function for reliability.

Zoomed out, I can't speak for others but I am certainly [not] enjoying restarting my iPhone every 1-2 days because of.....bugs.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
One or two apps are part of the bigger problem, e-mail is ostensibly the most important function for reliability.

Zoomed out, I can't speak for others but I am certainly [not] enjoying restarting my iPhone every 1-2 days because of.....bugs.

You are in the minority then. Most people are not restarting their phone every 1-2 days. My phone restarts with beta or OS updates, that's it. Weeks in between just fine. Sounds like you need to restore your device from scratch then as something is corrupted in an update or somewhere along the way.

Most people arent seeing that or it would be widely reported which its not. Even most Android people acknowledge iOS in comparison just works; that should say a lot about how many restarts you need on their side.

The mail argument still makes zero sense. LOTS of people have many many issues with the Gmail Android app and go to 3rd party apps. If not there wouldnt be 3rd party apps or millions of people reviewing those 3rd party apps- clearly people are using them. 1st party app issues arent exclusive to iOS so leaving iOS over an default app or 2 doesnt make any sense; its the old cutting off your nose to spite your face. By all means use a generally accepted buggier OS to fix the minor iOS bugginess.

That's all the time I will waste on this issue really.

Last edited:

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008

I agree it’s a bit overkill for just one app. But I’ve been feeling that Apple and iOS have lost the way a fair bit over recent years. Things just don’t seem to work!

Also, it would be good to try something a bit different for a while.

I'll go and check.out wunderlist now.

Edit: just had a thought - even if I get wunderlist, because the issue is with icloud, wouldn't wunderlist also be affected with the same issue?

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
I agree it’s a bit overkill for just one app. But I’ve been feeling that Apple and iOS have lost the way a fair bit over recent years. Things just don’t seem to work!

Also, it would be good to try something a bit different for a while.

I'll go and check.out wunderlist now.

Edit: just had a thought - even if I get wunderlist, because the issue is with icloud, wouldn't wunderlist also be affected with the same issue?

Not disagreeing but go on Android forums, you will see the same comments how Google cant get its sh*t together and get a relatively new OS on all of its phones; why some are still on Android 7 or 8 when 10 is the newest. Or security holes, bugs, etc.

iCloud has nothing to do with most 3rd party apps. Plus icloud mail is totally different than app backup/sync. Wunderlist has a site you can go on and access the app on the web; its not using icloud that I can tell for anything to sync- its a Microsoft owned app. Not saying this app is THE option, just one option I happen to have used and know it integrated with Outlook so you can see reminders on your calendar in the outlook app; since outlook was mentioned.

13paul13

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2019
iOS and iPadOS 13.3 seems (from early testing) to have fixed the following for me on my hotmail.com and outlook.com accounts:
  1. Sent mail no longer shows two of the same message in the sent items folder.
  2. Having received an email notification, upon opening the app from the home screen the new email messages are already there listed - no need to pull to refresh for them to appear.
Issues still present are:

• Clicking on an email notification banner doesn’t take you to that actual email and the app freezes for a few seconds.
  • On iPhone only, when I have read the new email, if I use the down arrow button within the email to go to the next email I have to press the down arrow button twice to move to the next email (I only have to press it the once on iPad as per the expected behaviour of the button).

Just to update after further use.

After being notified of new email arriving, iPadOS shows the emails already listed upon opening the app, but the iPhone Mail app needs a pull to refresh to show the new emails.

Sometimes, emptying the deleted items folder from the Mail app on one iDevice will delete all of the emails within it, but there are still some of those emails left in the deleted items folder on the other iDevice, not all are showing as deleted. Outlook.com on the web shows a completely empty deleted items folder, so I’m not sure why there’s still some showing on one iDevice but not the other?

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2017
I am hypothesising that some of the issues have to do with draft emails. This was a major problem in the early iOS 13 betas (some may remember that iOS 13 would always popup draft emails at the bottom of the screen that could not be dismissed).

I'm seeing the same behaviour on my iPad when I have a draft and don't sent it. When I resume the session, the mail gets stuck in the outbox, and empty drafts start appearing at the bottom of the screen similarly to the early betas. This then also messes up the retrieval of new emails.

Has anyone else seen this or similar behaviour?

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Guys, this issue is not only with Mail but also with the Reminders app. I've posted on here many times with an issue I have with syncing Reminders with my iPhone running iOS 13 onwards and Mac Pro running El Capitan. If a Reminder pops up on my iPhone and Mac, if I want to be reminded in an hour of that reminder, if I click "Remind me in an hour" on my Mac, the reminder disappears from the Mac. BUT it remains on my iPhone screen.

Today I figured out why this was. The phone needed another notification to come in and ONLY then will that reminder disappear from the iPhone screen. I think this is a Push problem.

Also, today my Mac just isn't receiving emails for a few minutes after my iPhone receives that same email.

I have no idea what is going on!

Right, scrap my theory above. Even new notifications aren't updating Reminders any more. I am at a total loss now as to why this is happening. Sorry guys.

Reactions: dk001

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Right, scrap my theory above. Even new notifications aren't updating Reminders any more. I am at a total loss now as to why this is happening. Sorry guys.
Yeah, I believe the issues are more to do with notifications than the Mail app, although there definitely were Mail app bugs in earlier betas/releases of iOS 13.

My first set of mail notifications come in silently. By "first set" I mean the first time I get a mail notification after turning my phone on in the morning. After that, they seem to work ok. I don't use reminders but I do use Calendar events and those notifications, especially when you click to snooze them, don't sync well between devices.

I've reported this for months but it's been ignored. As I've posted elsewhere, I'm not reporting any more until iOS 14 anyway.

Reactions: dk001 and scouser75

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Yeah, I believe the issues are more to do with notifications than the Mail app, although there definitely were Mail app bugs in earlier betas/releases of iOS 13.

My first set of mail notifications come in silently. By "first set" I mean the first time I get a mail notification after turning my phone on in the morning. After that, they seem to work ok. I don't use reminders but I do use Calendar events and those notifications, especially when you click to snooze them, don't sync well between devices.

I've reported this for months but it's been ignored. As I've posted elsewhere, I'm not reporting any more until iOS 14 anyway.
Thanks Adrian. This could be the reason why I'm not getting notifications for Wallet transactions for TFL journeys. Oh well, we just gotta live with it. Not the end of the world :)

Reactions: adrianlondon

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
So Mail, Reminders, Notes, TV and now Calendar apps are broken with iOS 13.3. But you know: „It‘s Apple. It just works“

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
So Mail, Reminders, Notes, TV and now Calendar apps are broken with iOS 13.3. But you know: „It‘s Apple. It just works“

As strange as it may sound, Notes still syncs well. Mail, Calendar and Reminders for certain are broken. I don't know about TV.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
Yeah, sync problems are the worst. Syncing is why I use iCloud. I've been having syncing problems with Notes as well between my iPhone and iPad. I'd rather they make sync flawless than add new features.

Every time the mail seems to be pushing properly I get discouraged because I know it's only a matter of time before it breaks again. I've tried every logical solution. I give up.

Fried egg on toast

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2019
my iPhone 11 (latest iOS update) still has a problem fetching mail. the latest patch said it was fixed but I'm still having problems.
checking mail on my MacBook Pro 16" (latest macOS update) is working fine....

using stock Mail app

Reactions: BadMelonFarmer

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
As strange as it may sound, Notes still syncs well. Mail, Calendar and Reminders for certain are broken. I don't know about TV.
All of the above, apart from mail occasionally, work perfectly for me (just adding balance)

Except calendar syncs to the calendar source (your gmail or outlook account etc) so that doesnt make sense. Turn off calendar icloud sync in your settings for calendar and mail, why would you need that if each device gets the data from your mail server (the push/fetch in your mail settings)? It's just adding another layer of potential failure.

I have no idea what feature that is used for that you need to sync calendars or mail accounts across icloud. Maybe only the settings, I dont know.

If you are using an icloud calendar (their mail/calendar/contacts) then icloud is the clear source of the issue.

I have no issues with any other stock apps either apart from mail glitches; but I dont use an icloud account for any mail/calendar services and have mail/calendar shut off in icloud in settings.

Last edited:

13paul13

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2019

iOS 13.3 is the first iOS 13 release for me that Notes syncs flawlessly between my iPhone and iPad. Previously it was hit and miss; sometimes I’d have to ‘kill’ the app on the device I hadn’t updated a note on and then reopen it from the Home screen for the changes to force sync.

For me, Reminders takes about a minute to sync between devices. (Mark the reminder as complete on one device, the notification and badge icon will be gone after about a minute on the other device.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.