Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Using Apple Mail on my MBP. I open a newly received message and an hour later it still says "downloading 1 email" at the bottom left of my screen. This only disappears after I quit Mail. This has been happening off and on since updating to iOS 13 weeks ago. Quite a system they are running. Of course it is not called Pro Mail so I guess we can expect nothing better...

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I've said this before and I still believe that these are more that email issues but more general file access changes that Apple made and the nature of mail makes the errors very obvious. I don't understand why not fixed yet but...

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
I’ve tried Apple Mail for one day again. I’ve always got error messages at the bottom that new mails cannot be downloaded because of server issues. The mail app was draining my battery for hours without using the app. Woke up, no new emails. Opened the mail app, some new emails where shown up. End of the story: Switched back to Outlook.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
You threw me for a moment when I read your comment on Gmail.
I realized I start with the attachment then share via Gmail from any drive. On my laptop I can attach from anywhere. Adding an attachment inside an existing email .... yeah.. Crazy in this day and age.

Yes can't reply though. It's insane. And it's anti-competitive IMO as you can only use their own service.

Im unsure how people do business on the iOS gmail app or just dont use attachments somehow.

Reactions: dk001

Cinimod1000

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2016
Okay, so another day has passed using the native Mail app. The only change I have experienced is that once or twice a day the iCloud account still hangs on "Checking for mail...". If I wait long enough it usually resolves itself, but it is faster to force close and reopen to get a near instant sync. Exchange/365 account is working without issues. So better, and pretty usable, but not yet without bugs......
Wanted to update my ongoing experience with the Mail app. Pretty much the same result as I wrote above, except the iCloud account does still have issues. Much better than it was, and still usable (for me), but it seems like I am force closing the mail app more often than I was when I first installed iOS 13.3.1 b1.......
Maybe Apple will give us a New Years present with a working b2. Oh wait, silly me, they are on vacation.......

redpandadev

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Strange everyone keeps complaining about the Mail app. I receive the mail and notifications instantly on both my MBP and iPhone 11 Pro every time.

The only quirk I am facing is if I delete an email from my MBP, it stays on the iPhone until I manually refresh then it disappears but notifications and receiving new email is fine.
Same. The later "bug" that you mention of e-mails not deleting until you manually refresh is apparently by design, not by bug. It's been this way since iCloud launched (it worked with MobileMe however). Apparently whatever protocol they are using for push mail only works for receiving mail, it can't push removal of mail or other changes to flags (like read status). Every bug report I've opened to this effect has been closed with "works as expected."

Reactions: Super Spartan

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai
Same. The later "bug" that you mention of e-mails not deleting until you manually refresh is apparently by design, not by bug. It's been this way since iCloud launched (it worked with MobileMe however). Apparently whatever protocol they are using for push mail only works for receiving mail, it can't push removal of mail or other changes to flags (like read status). Every bug report I've opened to this effect has been closed with "works as expected."
Oh ok, thanks man, that is invalueable info! At least we know that is not a bug now. Although it is annoying as hell I might say.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
I’ve given up and went to Gmail and “bright mode”. I can no longer deal with not knowing I have an email until I open the Mail app to find out I have 15. Really disappointing, I really rather use the Apple apps for all things.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
I installed the latest beta in hopes it fixes mail. Don’t bother loading beta 1, it fixes nothing.

What’s a shame is that I really prefer iOS over Android but the Galaxy Fold email experience I have is really great. I’m using that phone more and more now simply because the email experience is so much better on Android right now. I even did the workaround to get iMessage working on it and it works beautifully.

If it worked with my Apple Watch Apple might be losing a customer. I know that’s why it never will though. Apple is smart and knows people would defect if their products worked across other platforms.

I dislike iOS 13 more than any OS Apple has ever released.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
I installed the latest beta in hopes it fixes mail. Don’t bother loading beta 1, it fixes nothing.

What’s a shame is that I really prefer iOS over Android but the Galaxy Fold email experience I have is really great. I’m using that phone more and more now simply because the email experience is so much better on Android right now. I even did the workaround to get iMessage working on it and it works beautifully.

If it worked with my Apple Watch Apple might be losing a customer. I know that’s why it never will though. Apple is smart and knows people would defect if their products worked across other platforms.

I hear you man! I had an s10+ since release and it’s by far the best phone I have ever had. Everyone in my house got an iPhone for Christmas so I traded it for this Max Pro and it’s been an interesting adjustment. If iMessage was cross platform, Apple would be in trouble hardware wise.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012

How did you get iMessage to work On android? i Can’t handle Apple not fixing something that was never broken to begin with, engineering at Apple has completely failed!

Reactions: thewhitehart

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
How did you get iMessage to work On android? i Can’t handle Apple not fixing something that was never broken to begin with, engineering at Apple has completely failed!

There is an app called AirMessage that you download on the phone. Once that's done, there is a tutorial to set it up. It involves changing a couple of settings on your router and using an DNS Service, but its nothing super complicated.

I can tell you this, it works flawlessly all the time. If you take the time to set it up, its well worth it.

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
There is an app called AirMessage that you download on the phone. Once that's done, there is a tutorial to set it up. It involves changing a couple of settings on your router and using an DNS Service, but its nothing super complicated.

I can tell you this, it works flawlessly all the time. If you take the time to set it up, its well worth it.
Great .... thanks

mia-rafael

Suspended
May 21, 2016
Yeah, I've always manually refreshed mail. On my Android phones, and back on my 1st gen iPod Touch. Didn't know people didn't want to pull to refresh lol
no they do, but apple changed their minds..

why are people worried about mail on ios13 when catalina is the culprit, its worse, i have 3 gmail accounts, i use one of them only because gmail notes is integrated well with app notes and im asked to verify them almost every day if not every few hours

Last edited:

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Some of the problems, I'm having with email, feel as if Apple is treating IMAP email as POP

serpico007

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2017
Luckily Mail in El Capitan running on my 2008 Mac Pro has had no issues. Sometimes running older hardware and software has its benefits :)

Sorry, wrong thread! I meant Spark is working for me in iOS.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I have 2 iCloud accounts and 1 Zoho account that I actively use with the stock app and luckily, I haven’t experienced any problems. I also use the Canary mail app as it seems to be quicker with pushing the notifications on iPhone, watch, and iPad, than the stock app.

Last edited:

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
By iOS 14 they’ll probably break the Messages app too. Instead of getting push notifications you’ll have to periodically open Messages and wait for 5 seconds as it refreshes the list! And the apologists will say it’s no big deal ?

Reactions: Sgt93

serpico007

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2017
By iOS 14 they’ll probably break the Messages app too. Instead of getting push notifications you’ll have to periodically open Messages and wait for 5 seconds as it refreshes the list! And the apologists will say it’s no big deal ?

Then I will need a separate device to keep Messages always open! :rolleyes:

mia-rafael

Suspended
May 21, 2016
This not delivering email until the app is opened its ridiculous.

am I missing something? This isn’t a feature is it?
Wouldn't it be nice if the company that has $265B in annual revenue would actually jump in here and offer some answers? Instead it feels like we're all left treading water and trying to find some cold comfort in knowing others have the same issue.

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2017
I hate apple for that now. Their arrogance is beyond limits. Dealing with support is also a massive time wasting effort. It's like Alice in Wonderland. At the end they will tell you it's supposed to work like that.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I hate apple for that now. Their arrogance is beyond limits. Dealing with support is also a massive time wasting effort. It's like Alice in Wonderland. At the end they will tell you it's supposed to work like that.
Mail.app sucks, for sure. But “arrogance” doesn’t mean what everyone on here seems to think it means.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.