Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jibber4568

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2011
I finally gave up on this and tried using Spark for my mail. The biggest issue for me is that I don't like email notifications, but I do like the badge to update with new mail. This is how iOS mail has always worked for me. In Spark I can't seem to find a way to get the badge count to update without it pushing through notifications. Does anyone know if there is a way to do this or if there is an alt app that allows it?

Sheldonsmith

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
I hate to say it but I'm very close to moving to Gmail. My company uses Google, and won't let us authenticate our Gmail account through any other third party app. Apple's Mail app is so bad I continuously have to recheck and reconcile my inbox multiple times a day because it doesn't sync read/unread properly, which is obviously extremely important.

I’ve had to move to Gmail because the office uses it and I hate it. Can’t attach docs out of files (unless in Google drive) and there is no dark mode despite what Google promises.

~ Sheldon

mia-rafael

Suspended
May 21, 2016
it’s strange that Macrumors haven’t written anything on this;
i read dozens of comments about this from people been nasty toward websites that fallow the political route, basically covering up issues to make apple smell like a rose.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I’ve had to move to Gmail because the office uses it and I hate it. Can’t attach docs out of files (unless in Google drive) and there is no dark mode despite what Google promises.

~ Sheldon
Yea finally found Outlook which is dark and works for me. I think even if GMail even does get universal Dark, I will just give them the middle finger since it took so long, and they are playing the A/B/C.... rollout BS. Just make it a freaking setting for everyone already!!!

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2015
Yea finally found Outlook which is dark and works for me. I think even if GMail even does get universal Dark, I will just give them the middle finger since it took so long, and they are playing the A/B/C.... rollout BS. Just make it a freaking setting for everyone already!!!
Outlook has two issues:
1.) It does not give notifications for sub-folders (mails other than in Inbox).
2.) It uses an intermediary server of Microsoft to generate push notifications. This might violate IT policies of many organisations when you use office mails with Outlook.

tspear8183

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2017

At least somebody is.....

Why isn’t MacRumors writing about Mail? Why are we normalizing this? Is MacRumors paid by Apple to keep its mouth shut?

if they ban me for saying so, then I suppose the answer is clear.

Grow a pair of balls and write about it, MacRumors. It’s a serious enough problem. Act like journalists.

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
Many blogs are paid by Apple I think or are just Apple fanboys who say that these aren’t bugs and iOS doesn’t have bugs. They are features or we are using our devices wrong.

Reactions: Freakonomics101

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
I don’t know if it’s just that the Apple devs are simply inept or incompetent, or that they aren’t being given the right resources to fix mail, but one thing is for sure, Apple’s approach to email is pathetic and embarrassing! It was fine pre-iOS 13 and this cluster**** that we have now is an abortion!

Email sync between iPhone and Apple Watch, both on the latest betas, is worse than it’s been for months. However, I refuse to report it anymore as they simply refuse to acknowledge and address the myriad issues.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2015
Clicking or clearing any one mail notification to view that mail removes all the existing mail notifications from the notification centre - including those mail notifications which have not been clicked or opened.
Happens on all types of mail accounts- IMAP, Gmail, Yahoo, Exchange, Outlook etc.
Issue pending since 13.0 and is unresolved.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Many blogs are paid by Apple I think or are just Apple fanboys

In the past Apple has banned journalists from attending its events when they (the journalist) have spoken negatively of them (Apple). As a result people are reluctant to report issues because they want to attend the events, write articles, generate revenue.

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
In the past Apple has banned journalists from attending its events when they (the journalist) have spoken negatively of them (Apple). As a result people are reluctant to report issues because they want to attend the events, write articles, generate revenue.
I see that in a lot of blogs. Only "Hey wow. A new update. This new iOS features are so amazing" and nothing like "New iOS update breaks Mail and more"

Reactions: StumpyBloke

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Agreed. I am getting visual notifications at least but no vibration or sound. All correct settings but it will not give me an audible alert for new mail on exchange.
That happens pretty consistently for the first set of mail notifications that come in after the phone has rebooted. Future notifications tend to come in ok. It's been like this for months, and feedbacks logged during the betas have been ignored.

Reactions: StumpyBloke

Sgt93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
TX
Agreed. I am getting visual notifications at least but no vibration or sound. All correct settings but it will not give me an audible alert for new mail on exchange.

I’m not getting anything . So bummed this hasn’t been fixed.

Yester5

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Ever since iOS 13 launched, the bulk delete function in my inbox only works sporadically (like once or twice per week). The only way to clear my inbox is to manually select each email then tap delete. Even THAT doesn’t work all the time. The only operation that works on a consistent basis is to select each email then select Move and select the Trash folder. What a PITA

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
It’s absolutely ridiculous and there is no excuse for it. The largest tech company in the world and they can’t get their own mail app working. It’s honestly disgusting at this point.
I don't think they screwed the mail app, I think they screwed notifications. (Or maybe both.) Your comments are all still valid though.

Reactions: CJ Dorschel

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
Some dude on his fishing boating is testing these releases on his electronic fish finder . Apple are you not embarrassed that you have attempted this 3 times and it still doesn’t work properly????

Last edited:
Reactions: Freakonomics101

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
I don't think they screwed the mail app, I think they screwed notifications. (Or maybe both.) Your comments are all still valid though.

The native mail app has always (in the past) handled mail differently from 3rd party mail apps. 3rd party apps (I used to work on one of them) have to use the notification mechanism to retrieve new mail: when an APNS notification comes in the mail uses background app refresh to “wake” and retrieve the mail summary so you see it appear in your inbox list when you open the app. Now this doesn’t always work reliably because it depends on whether the user has enabled notifications AND background app refresh for your mail app. Background app refresh also doesn’t reliably wake the app either which is why often when you tap a 3rd party app it takes several seconds to realize that “oops” I wasn’t woken to retrieve the new mail so I got to do it now, resulting in a delay before they appear in your inbox.

The native mail app on the hand (being an Apple app) has special rights to run in the background. APNS Notifications would only be used to display the banners but when you open the app the mail is already there (for mail accounts that use push). This is pure speculation but perhaps they tried to rearchitect the mail app to no longer run in the background (perhaps in a misguided attempt to reduce battery consumption)

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
Thanks. That’s the best explanation I’ve read, and it makes total sense. It’s too bad there isn’t a dedicated switch for Mail under Background Refresh.

What’s scary though is if that’s true, it was intentional, and no fix is coming. ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.