Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Except calendar syncs to the calendar source (your gmail or outlook account etc) so that doesnt make sense. Turn off calendar icloud sync in your settings for calendar and mail, why would you need that if each device gets the data from your mail server (the push/fetch in your mail settings)? It's just adding another layer of potential failure.

I have no idea what feature that is used for that you need to sync calendars or mail accounts across icloud. Maybe only the settings, I dont know.

If you are using an icloud calendar (their mail/calendar/contacts) then icloud is the clear source of the issue.

I have no issues with any other stock apps either apart from mail glitches; but I dont use an icloud account for any mail/calendar services and have mail/calendar shut off in icloud in settings.
I'm using a.mac account which also uses calendar, reminders etc. All these are turned on in my icloud settings on my phone and Mac. Is this correct?

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
Bit dramatic to leave a whole platform over 1 or 2 apps. If the Gmail app was that great millions on Android wouldnt be using a third party app. Outlook on Android has 4.5 million reviews. Just one app. Clearly people arent sticking with the Gmail app or whatever duplicate the manufacturer puts on the phone

And good luck getting any OS updates or other bugs getting fixed that Android has.

Just isnt worth it over 1 or 2 apps app. Use a 3rd party mail app; you may end up doing the same on Android anyway and not solve anything other than shooting yourself in the foot really. Same with Reminders. Android has no stock reminders app, so just use a 3rd party like Wunderlist which you will have to on android anyway. Wunderlist even integrates into the Outlook app calendar.

MS is killing Wunderlist May 6th.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
I made the switch too and after using for a week or so, i don't miss apple mail at all. Outlook is fast, notifications work fine and no mess-up with the emails. The only thing i would like to have is the ability to collapse threads in outlook, otherwise it is a solid mail app out there.

The problem I have with Outlook is now the latest update for Outlook seems to have made it terrible too. It constantly reloads for me and is starting to have phantom mail notifications. I get the notification but there is no mail there.

I’m inching closer to an Android phone with this joke of an OS. It’s honestly just embarrassing at this point and there is no defending it.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
What’s comical about their mail issues is that if you tweet Apple support about it they get back to you like they’ve never ever heard of anyone having mail issues with iOS 13 and just give canned responses on how to “fix” it, which are all worthless.

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
What’s comical about their mail issues is that if you tweet Apple support about it they get back to you like they’ve never ever heard of anyone having mail issues with iOS 13 and just give canned responses on how to “fix” it, which are all worthless.

There must be some other bizarre variables happening with this, because one of the main complaints Ive been seeing is that mail crashes when opening from notifications. This has never happened to me.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
Exactly. They’re gaslighting users into believing there’s nothing different about how Mail is behaving. Apple Support was very polite to me as always, but they pretended my problem was unique. I even sent them screen recordings of the problem occurring (unread mail not appearing in inbox).

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
The problem I have with Outlook is now the latest update for Outlook seems to have made it terrible too. It constantly reloads for me and is starting to have phantom mail notifications. I get the notification but there is no mail there.

I’m inching closer to an Android phone with this joke of an OS. It’s honestly just embarrassing at this point and there is no defending it.

Yup the iOS 13 aggressive memory management causes Outlook to get purged from memory once it sits in the background for more than a minute or two. Causes me to lose my place viewing a particular email frequently

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Yup the iOS 13 aggressive memory management causes Outlook to get purged from memory once it sits in the background for more than a minute or two. Causes me to lose my place viewing a particular email frequently

"memory management"

???

lack thereof is more likely

13 is a memory pig, processor pig, and battery pig.

Early versions of 12 were amazing.

What added functionality is there now in 13 that weren't in 12???

Everything seems worse.

is there a ton of hidden background stuff going on that only Apple and three letters know about?

are they getting ready to release a Surface clone, so there's code all over the place, for trackpad, etc,running but not visible in any way yet to us users/developers?

what am i missing here??

Reactions: Blue Hawk

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Exactly. They’re gaslighting users into believing there’s nothing different about how Mail is behaving. Apple Support was very polite to me as always, but they pretended my problem was unique. I even sent them screen recordings of the problem occurring (unread mail not appearing in inbox).

Exact same with me. They were also very polite (which I appreciate) but not at all helpful. They suggested I contact my IT department for issues with exchange. When I asked them who I should contact for the same problems with my iCloud Mail account they had no answers lol.
[automerge]1576667226[/automerge]
"memory management"

???

lack thereof is more likely

13 is a memory pig, processor pig, and battery pig.

Early versions of 12 were amazing.

What added functionality is there now in 13 that weren't in 12???

Everything seems worse.

is there a ton of hidden background stuff going on that only Apple and three letters know about?

are they getting ready to release a Surface clone, so there's code all over the place, for trackpad, etc,running but not visible in any way yet to us users/developers?

what am i missing here??

No added functionality really. Apple did a pretty good job of making dark mode the highlight of iOS 13, which is a bit comical. Its no different than iOS 12 except that its a complete train wreck of an OS and feels like a constant beta from one update to the next.

Reactions: fastbagger

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010

My issue with Outlook is that search is horrid compared to GMail. I can fix an ancient email with no issue in GMail, but the only way to find it in Outlook is load conversations forever. Is there some way to increase the default local storage for folders in Outlook? If GMail would give everyone freaking dark mode already, I would be set.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
My issue with Outlook is that search is horrid compared to GMail. I can fix an ancient email with no issue in GMail, but the only way to find it in Outlook is load conversations forever. Is there some way to increase the default local storage for folders in Outlook? If GMail would give everyone freaking dark mode already, I would be set.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I think the gmail app is incredibly horrible; the worst of the bunch- its also the lowest rated major mail app except Airmail (for their subscription bait and switch mostly) in the App Store. Its basically the mobile website in an app.

Hell you cant even attach a file from the Files app or any cloud service but Google Drive. And the unified folders only exists for the inbox, so if you have many accounts its a pain flipping between then to find where that archived, sent or deleted email was- you have to know what account you sent it from

I think its really poor, and that's coming from someone who 4 of 6 accounts are Gmail/Google Apps accounts

Outlook has its quirks like local storage (which also limits the storage on your device used- I think that was more from the old ways when there was 16gb devices though) but at least it's not anti-competitive IMO and you can attach a file from various cloud services.

Last edited:

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Well ....
I went ahead and did it again.
I disconnected the Mail accounts.
I wiped the Mail app.
I deleted the Mail app.
I did a save, wipe and restore.
Opened the now reappearing Mail app.
Added the old accounts, one at a time, watching ....

So far it has fixed nothing for me except .... I now have a number of formerly deleted emails back in the Mail app.

This was a painful exercise. Have done this twice now in iOS 13. First time under Beta, this time under the Public Release. Batting 0-2 on this really, helping. :confused:
[automerge]1576708613[/automerge]

Never mind the "hordes" of us that have submitted bug reports and feedback reports on Mail issues.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Well ....
I went ahead and did it again.
Oops!

I think some IMAP accounts initially mark mail as deleted rather than actually deleting them (or moving them to the bin), and purge them later. So, when you recreate an account it ignores that flag and displays them back in the inbox. Simply deleting them again should clear them.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Oops!

I think some IMAP accounts initially mark mail as deleted rather than actually deleting them (or moving them to the bin), and purge them later. So, when you recreate an account it ignores that flag and displays them back in the inbox. Simply deleting them again should clear them.

Good to know. I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
haven’t gone deep on this thread, but have people had the issue where emails will only show in the unified inbox but not the account inbox until you load them in the unified inbox first?

It’s a terrible experience having to scan through that cluttered view to check for email that has clearly arrived on the device (so it’s not some server side error), but Apple is apparently just too incompetent to update specific filtered views.

That Apple can’t even get the basics functional, really makes me question why I’m sticking with them anymore. The answer might be that the alternatives are worse, but that’s a really disappointing argument if so.

Cinimod1000

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2016
haven’t gone deep on this thread, but have people had the issue where emails will only show in the unified inbox but not the account inbox until you load them in the unified inbox first?

It’s a terrible experience having to scan through that cluttered view to check for email that has clearly arrived on the device (so it’s not some server side error), but Apple is apparently just too incompetent to update specific filtered views.

That Apple can’t even get the basics functional, really makes me question why I’m sticking with them anymore. The answer might be that the alternatives are worse, but that’s a really disappointing argument if so.

I have had a similar issue where I received notifications and badge count but had to pull down to refresh - whether on the individual account inbox or tue unified inbox. The emails would always appear when I pull down to refresh.
this is no longer occurring for me on 13.3.1 b1. Notifications display on the lock screen or Notification Center. When I tap on a notification it takes me directly to (and opens) the particular email. Fixed. Also, if I open the mail app by tapping on the Mail icon, any new mail is there waiting for me, regardless if I am in the unified inboxor an individual inbox.
Every now and then, when I tap on a mail in the inbox list to view it, it will open correctly, but the temporary drop down notification appears just after the individual mail is opened. Weird. Finally, each account now refreshes consistently when I open the mail app. Up to and including 13.3 release version, I would often have to force close the app then reopen to make it actually fetch mail - for my iCloud account. )The one Exchange account has always behaved correctly....)
So, very nearly there for me. Usable again at last. Only three months after initial release. Good job Apple.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
I have had a similar issue where I received notifications and badge count but had to pull down to refresh - whether on the individual account inbox or tue unified inbox. The emails would always appear when I pull down to refresh.
this is no longer occurring for me on 13.3.1 b1. Notifications display on the lock screen or Notification Center. When I tap on a notification it takes me directly to (and opens) the particular email. Fixed. Also, if I open the mail app by tapping on the Mail icon, any new mail is there waiting for me, regardless if I am in the unified inboxor an individual inbox.
Every now and then, when I tap on a mail in the inbox list to view it, it will open correctly, but the temporary drop down notification appears just after the individual mail is opened. Weird. Finally, each account now refreshes consistently when I open the mail app. Up to and including 13.3 release version, I would often have to force close the app then reopen to make it actually fetch mail - for my iCloud account. )The one Exchange account has always behaved correctly....)
So, very nearly there for me. Usable again at last. Only three months after initial release. Good job Apple.
Yours is a nearly word-for-word situation as mine, minus the exchange account. I’m on the new beta, and I’m crossing my fingers that this is going to stay working. I’ve been waiting for it to crap out any minute, but it’s been okay...
Shame on Apple for taking so long to fix this. Did they care? People rely on email. Apple can ditch headphone jacks and USB A ports to force change, but making email obsolete is beyond even their clout.

Cinimod1000

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2016
Yours is a nearly word-for-word situation as mine, minus the exchange account. I’m on the new beta, and I’m crossing my fingers that this is going to stay working. I’ve been waiting for it to crap out any minute, but it’s been okay...
Shame on Apple for taking so long to fix this. Did they care? People rely on email. Apple can ditch headphone jacks and USB A ports to force change, but making email obsolete is beyond even their clout.

Fingers crossed, so far so good. 24 hours in, it might actually be mostly fixed.... now they need to fix the temporary notification appearing when I open the email.....getting annoying. So, I’ll be staying in 13.3.1 b1 for now and will update again in a couple of days.

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK
Mail for me is rock solid after 13.3.1. Pressing on banners for new mail works properly and takes me right to the message. The badges are updating properly and emails download just fine. I am using both office 365 (exchange) and outlook.com accounts. Yes i still get account error here and there, which i try to ignore. Because the emails are coming and going just fine without any duplicates.

A suggestion would be to delete all the accounts, delete the mail app and go to outlook.com/office 365 websites, go to general and then mobile devices, delete all the devices from there. Reinstall mail from app store and re-add the accounts. Yes you may see the account error but leave it for a bit to download the messages and cache for a few hours.

Not promising anything, but just worth a try! And if you use gmail, obviously go to gmail site to delete previous devices and re-add them.

Cheers

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Been using my XS Max on 13.3.1 this morning and Mail still has issues. Only issue I am seeing an improvement in is Notifications ... so far.
New Mail issue - I am having problems opening Mail attachments.
Will see how things go.

Cinimod1000

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2016
Fingers crossed, so far so good. 24 hours in, it might actually be mostly fixed.... now they need to fix the temporary notification appearing when I open the email.....getting annoying. So, I’ll be staying in 13.3.1 b1 for now and will update again in a couple of days.

Okay, so another day has passed using the native Mail app. The only change I have experienced is that once or twice a day the iCloud account still hangs on "Checking for mail...". If I wait long enough it usually resolves itself, but it is faster to force close and reopen to get a near instant sync. Exchange/365 account is working without issues. So better, and pretty usable, but not yet without bugs......

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Resurfacing of an old bug .... this stopped being an issue but it's back.

Mail: On the XS Max I have several accounts under Mail. On the IPP I have one account under Mail. This account is also on the XS Max. Read all the unread emails on the XS Max. Logged onto the IPP about a half hour later and saw I had 13 unread emails. These were emails I had already read. They showed as unread on the IPP until I manually refreshed.
So apparently syncing issues between devices for Mail is back. :confused:

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I think the gmail app is incredibly horrible; the worst of the bunch- its also the lowest rated major mail app except Airmail (for their subscription bait and switch mostly) in the App Store. Its basically the mobile website in an app.

Hell you cant even attach a file from the Files app or any cloud service but Google Drive. And the unified folders only exists for the inbox, so if you have many accounts its a pain flipping between then to find where that archived, sent or deleted email was- you have to know what account you sent it from

I think its really poor, and that's coming from someone who 4 of 6 accounts are Gmail/Google Apps accounts

Outlook has its quirks like local storage (which also limits the storage on your device used- I think that was more from the old ways when there was 16gb devices though) but at least it's not anti-competitive IMO and you can attach a file from various cloud services.
Yea I don't do anything fancy so GMail worked well. Need to remember to try AirMail.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
Yea I don't do anything fancy so GMail worked well. Need to remember to try AirMail.

Of course, basic text emails with maybe photos to friends and family sure.

For anything more its pretty terrible compared to every other mail app out there. To me only allowing attachments from Google Drive is anti-competitive; you can only use their cloud storage. I mean heck even Apple has let you attach from various cloud services for years.

Airmail is monthly subscription; thats a no-go for me.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Of course, basic text emails with maybe photos to friends and family sure.

For anything more its pretty terrible compared to every other mail app out there. To me only allowing attachments from Google Drive is anti-competitive; you can only use their cloud storage. I mean heck even Apple has let you attach from various cloud services for years.

Airmail is monthly subscription; thats a no-go for me.

You threw me for a moment when I read your comment on Gmail.
I realized I start with the attachment then share via Gmail from any drive. On my laptop I can attach from anywhere. Adding an attachment inside an existing email .... yeah.. Crazy in this day and age.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.