Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
I wouldn't say the iPhone is overpriced, but as with anything. The nexus gives you options if you don't think the iPhone cost is justifiable.

The iPhone is certainly overpriced compared to its competition..... but that is familiar territory for any middle aged Apple device.

I am not knocking the phone, but you get less (less function, older tech) for the same amount of money as a current top Android smartphone.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-06-29 at 12.46.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-29 at 12.46.05 PM.png
    495.5 KB · Views: 101

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010
Yes, and I made a thread with over 100 points that I think the iPhone 4S does best. I can be argued that both lists are based on opinion, what makes this +6 list better than my +100 list?

alright then

Lets say a "Justin Biebler and Chris Brown ARE AWESOME!!!" list had +100 points compared to a "Radiohead is better than both of them" list that had only +6 points.

would you say the Justin Biebler list is better? If so, I'm so sorry for you.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
alright then

Lets say a "Justin Biebler and Chris Brown ARE AWESOME!!!" list had +100 points compared to a "Radiohead is better than both of them" list that had only +6 points.

would you say the Justin Biebler list is better? If so, I'm so sorry for you.

Nope, I wouldn't, and that's exactly my point :)

You can't use an arbitrary list of one person's opinion as "proof" that one device is better than another.

bri1212

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
Google isn't tainted trying to make money off of you through hardware. Google's Nexus line of devices is a pure experience where you don't have to worry about getting ripped off the way you do with Apple and the iPhone (or the OEM's and random non nexus android phones).

Google isn't tainted by trying to make money. Talk about fanboyism. Your still caught on this getting ripped off by phone manufacturers, however, that is not stealing, It is offering a product for a price. No one forces you to buy the product. No one promised you a different experience, no one lied to you in order to get you a phone. You feel free to go out and enjoy and buy Nexus phones to your hearts content, but don't tell me that Google is not trying to make money on the hardware. That just makes you sound like you live in fantasy land and drinking too much of that Nexus kool-aid.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Not the point.

At least Google doesn't make up B.S. excuses about older hardware supposedly not supporting new OS features just so they can rip you off for another $650.

Googles Nexus line isn't about making profits off hardware and withholding features from you (unlike Apple), it's simply to make a pure experience to gain market share by having the best product.

You're right. They're about getting you as deeply immersed in their ecosystem as possible so they can harvest your data and use it to sell targeted ads.

One makes their money on hardware, the other on data. I personally prefer to pay my money for the hardware and let that be the end of it, but that's me. Let's not act like either company is some paragon of virtue though. Both have their strengths....both have their weaknesses.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
This confirms android tablets have no market and make no money.

The Nexus 7 is literally being given away. Google is selling it at cost.

This also proves Google is a terrible partner. All the other tablet makers will get screwed as Google undercuts them. No wonder LG and Dell dumped android.

All Google cares about is stealing your info and selling it to the highest bidder.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
what you need to understand is that google and apple make their money in very different ways. Google can afford to sell their products for little to no (or even negative) profit...they make all their money off selling ads through their services. The more they know about you and the more you use their service, the more money they make.

Apple's services, on the other hand, exist to support their hardware, which is where their money comes from. For the most part, they don't sell your data, or present ads to you (though iAds does do this, most of that money goes to developers, not apple), and they don't make money from you using their services. They make money from you buying their hardware.

Now, I'm not really one to be bothered by google selling my information...things have to be paid for somehow, and I'm not self centered enough to feel I'm entitled to google services free AND ad-free. But it bothers some. And iOS is seen by many as a superior product, not necessarily in features, but in usability and stability, and that's worth the money to some.

Also, don't forget that a majority of people buy their phones on contract, so its $200 either way. Were I to buy off contract, it'd be a GNex, hands down, simply because of the price.

And, it's worth mentioning that your comment about the tablets doesn't hold up like the phone does...the nexus tablet isn't in the same class as the iPad. It just isn't. There's no argument for that

404 tech junkie

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012

This also proves Google is a terrible partner. All the other tablet makers will get screwed as Google undercuts them. No wonder LG and Dell dumped android.

All Google cares about is stealing your info and selling it to the highest bidder.

LG didn't dump Android...:rolleyes:

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012

As usual, you are way off base. The Asus transformer infinity is coming out for $500 and you can get the Prime for $350. Both are 10 inch tablets. You really think Asus is stupid enough to sell this for anywhere close to the price of even the Prime? $200-$250 is right about what this should be priced and they will sell a ton. Not only from people like me who have an iPad or Prime but would like a smaller and lighter tablet as well and Android fans who want Jelly Bean but don't have a Nexus phone.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
LG didn't dump Android...:rolleyes:

LG no longer makes android tablets.

Smart move on LG's part.

And the Nexus 7 breaks even when sold by Google Play and is sold at a loss when you buy from anyone else essentially. It's the same tactic as the Kindle fire. It's a razor/razor blade model where Google makes money off stealing your info and selling Google Play content. That doesnt help other hardware makers one bit.

Translation: screw your hardware partners and ensure android tablets depreciate even faster.

Last edited:

404 tech junkie

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
LG no longer makes android tablets.

Smart move on LG's part.

And the Nexus 7 breaks even when sold by Google Play and is sold at a loss when you buy from anyone else essentially. It's the same tactic as the Kindle fire. It's a razor/razor blade model where Google makes money off stealing your info and selling Google Play content. That doesnt help other hardware makers one bit.

Translation: screw your hardware partners and ensure android tablets depreciate even faster.

LG stopped making tablets. That's entirely different from "LG dumped Android". LG stopped making tablets so they can focus primarily on their Optimus line. Their tablets weren't moving much anyway, and since it's a relatively small niche market at the present time, it makes more sense for them to focus on smartphones. HTC did the same thing a while ago....

LOL, LG stopped making tablets period to focus more on smartphones..that use Android! :rolleyes:

Exactly!

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
I'd be curios to see what the percentage of purchases on contract are versus unlocked. I'd guess the average person isn't going to be buying an unlocked phone. In which case they are priced the same no?

That would be valid analogy if they were using the exact same engine, drivetrain, and components. Smartphones, tablets, and even PCs all pretty much use the same hardware now. The difference is in software which certainly deserves a premium but how much?

Does Honda even offer a V8? Or a twin-turbo V6?

BMW doesn't offer a twin-turbo v6 either so meh.

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
I'd be curios to see what the percentage of purchases on contract are versus unlocked. I'd guess the average person isn't going to be buying an unlocked phone. In which case they are priced the same no?

BMW doesn't offer a twin-turbo v6 either so meh.

Sorry, should have been turbo I6!

P0stalTek

Suspended
Feb 25, 2011
I paid $200 for my wife's iPhone 4S a few days ago, so how much is that Galaxy once subsidized? I'm guessing it is $150. I'll pay $50 to have far better app selection and user OS experience. :apple:

EDIT: Also, let's talk resale value when the next, big thing comes along and I wish to sell my phone to fund an out of contract purchase? Oh right.. Android phones aren't necessarily known for their resale value :?

Last edited:

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
I paid $200 for my wife's iPhone 4S a few days ago, so how much is that Galaxy once subsidized? I'm guessing it is $150. I'll pay $50 to have far better app selection and user OS experience. :apple:

EDIT: Also, let's talk resale value when the next, big thing comes along and I wish to sell my phone to fund an out of contract purchase? Oh right.. Android phones aren't necessarily known for their resale value :?

Resale value is a myth with the iPhone. I never had a problem selling my Android phones within a few days off CL. I couldn't sell my 4s for anything! Not only because there are a TON in circulation and they are a dime a dozen, you have all the knockoffs being sold and iPhones with bad ESNs are everywhere. It was almost impossible to sell my 4s and I had to take a lot less than retail price for it.

P0stalTek

Suspended
Feb 25, 2011
Resale value is a myth with the iPhone. I never had a problem selling my Android phones within a few days off CL. I couldn't sell my 4s for anything! Not only because there are a TON in circulation and they are a dime a dozen, you have all the knockoffs being sold and iPhones with bad ESNs are everywhere. It was almost impossible to sell my 4s and I had to take a lot less than retail price for it.

Wow, that truly is surprising. Sorry for your poor fortune, but I have seen friends sell theirs for good money (ie. always way more than the money necessary for the next subsidized iPhone).

404 tech junkie

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012

That's not true. I buy and sell iPhones all the time, and I have yet to have an issue with selling one. Not sure what you've experienced, but any time I sell an iPhone, it sells quite easily for $450.

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
iPhone seems horribly HORRIBLY overpriced compared to the Galaxy Nexus.
Google makes very little on their hardware compared to Apple. They depend on advertising—on advertising to you, on you using their services—to make their money. Apple makes their money on the hardware. Also, the quality comparison between these devices is not equal (especially the tablet) but that's only part of the story. The Google devices are available for a good price.

Note that the comparison doesn't hold up when you compare the iWhatever to an Android device which is intended to make money on the hardware.

That said, if these devices are going to play a regular role in your life and you're not cash strapped enough that this is a huge difference, buy the experience you want. Like a bed or an office chair: you're spending significant chunks of your life in them but people tend not to see them as worthwhile expenses.

nyc999

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
And Verizon Wireless (you know, the place with all of the stores that people walk into to buy phones) sells it for $299.

Or to the OPs point, this phone is $649 from Verizon Wireless without a contract. Just like the iPhone.

You would have to be pretty ignorant to pay $299 for a phone when you get it for $99. It is not like most people haven't heard of amazon.

bri1212

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
Its not buying a phone that suggests a devotion, its coming in here and arguing about how one is so much better than the other.

Is that what you got from my quote? I didn't see one word in my message, which indicated that the iphone or any other phone was better.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I'm really curious to see what the next Nexus device will sell for on the Play Store. If they can offer as good or better specs as the current SIII, and still keep it in the sub-$500 range unlocked and with US warranty, that would be phenomenal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.