Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AstroRexaur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2021
I saw the apple event and was a little upset! Apple unveiled the new iPad Air and is practically the same as the iPad Pro 11" M1 (I owned months ago). So, my question is: there will be, in a future, a "biggest update" to the iPad Pro? based that Apple already transfer all the power from the Pro to the Air?

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
I am very curious about that too. I’m sure Apple is cautious to maintain a significant gap in features and power between their products, especially the ones with the Pro label. The update to the iPad Air was quite significant, so I expect the next upgrade to iPad Pro to be quite big too.

Only speculating here, but maybe Apple will give the M1 Pro chip to the Pro ipads, for extra GPU power? I could see also a second Thunderbolt port. That could add up to the rumors about wireless charging and the Retina XDR display coming to the smaller iPad Pro.

The other possibility is that Apple discontinues the 11 inch iPad Pro, and keep the Pro label only for the larger 12.9 inch tablet. There are no rumors at this moment that the smaller model could be discontinued, but it seems that Apple needs to either distinguish further the iPad Pro 11 inch from the iPad Air, or to stop producing it.

Either way, I’m sure Apple will deliver a big upgrade to the next iPad Pro to keep it competitive. I think the iPad needs more drastic changes on the software side than the hardware side, but that is an other debate…

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
Why should you be upset? Any technology purchase we make will be superseded by something new and better sooner or later.

Air 5 doesn’t have ProMotion, Face ID, Thunderbolt, LIDAR, dual rear cameras nor as much storage. There is clear differentiation between the M1 iPad Pro and the M1 iPad Air.

In a short period of time, ‘Pro’ features inevitably trickle down to the mid-range - there’s no stopping it. M1/8GB was just the latest Pro feature to make its way down. In previous years having 4GB RAM, Pencil 2 support and thinner bezel was a Pro feature until they brought these to the Air 4.

I imagine we will get an M2 iPad Pro later in the year. Rumours have suggested that the 11” will get XDR this time, which alongside M2 would be another differentiator with the Air 5. Maybe they will always increase base RAM from 8 to 12, or even to 16GB.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
These are exactly the same posts we had when the air 4 came out compared to the 2020 pro 11...
Why buy a pro? There is not enough differentiation... Apple will discontinue the pro 11... etc. etc.

No, Apple will not discontinue the pro 11. And, as I said back then, the pro 11, even before its gets M2, has still enough difference to justify the $200 difference for many. And Apple knows it well.

1. Base storage: for pro buyers 64 is not enough, but 128 can be and once you spend pro money for the 256GB model then the other differences start to matter even more. Apple knows that this is a critical factor in upselling (no 128GB air) and this alone makes a big difference
2. Speakers: many of those who have had the pro, since 2015 and 2016, don't want anything less than quad speakers
3. Promotion: some (like me) don't care, but for some there is no going back to 60hz
4. Mini-LED for the M2. Many are waiting for Mini-led, much more than for M2. And basically nobody has complained about the $100 price increase for the 12.9in, and many pro buyers didn't buy the M1 just for this reason.

wolfboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
Not upset the Air got the M1, but I am salty the 11" didn't get MiniLED last year. It's still a superb quality LCD, but man, we really got snubbed there.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I saw the apple event and was a little upset! Apple unveiled the new iPad Air and is practically the same as the iPad Pro 11" M1 (I owned months ago). So, my question is: there will be, in a future, a "biggest update" to the iPad Pro? based that Apple already transfer all the power from the Pro to the Air?
M1 11 Pro has has a quite a few upgrades over the new Air. You should probably look at the list of features the Air doesn't get compared to the Pro. Guaranteed the M1 11 Pro with 128gb will cut into sales of the new Air at 256gb. Costco is selling the 128 Pro wifi for $749 which is the same price as the 256 Air wifi and has more to offer in nice features..

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Having used the Air 4 and the M1 Pro 11 - it was a no contest for me because of the refresh rate, screen brightness, and ability to use my iPad with a USB C dock to my 4k monitor with a mouse/keyboard/drive/etc. I'm seeing a lot of people hopping on the 128GB Pro 11 as it goes on sale interestingly enough.

Me? The 2018 iPad Pro 11 was still extremely fast when I sold it for an M1 iPad Pro. The M1 feels like I'm using only 10% of its capacity CPU wise. I am planning on keeping mine at least until they're talking about the M3 iPad Pro 11 and maybe the M4 iPad Pro 11?

The IPP 11 is my most used device (has been since 2018). I don't see that changing anytime soon (years from now).

For me personally? iPP 11 all the way.
Face ID is necessary for how I use my iPad. I can't imagine having to reach over and touch my iPad to unlock it anymore.
4 speakers was very noticeable over the Air.
120hz is a must now that I have a 13 PM - I couldn't stand the Mini 6 because of it (but mostly because of the tiny text) - even though I thought I could. Just felt laggy. This is a must for Apple Pencil work imo.
16GB of Ram and 1TB Storage. I can now have everything I own digitally in one place.
And mentioned above, thunderbolt is a must for my use case.

For me? My most used device? I'm ok with splurging a little. I gave my wife my M1 iPP 11 (256GB) and mini 6, while I splurged on an M1 iPP 11 1TB. I'm set for a long ... long time.

I'm happy to see the Air get respectable specs. For most people this is a great deal and it is the iPad I recommend to most who ask me.

I think we're at a point in time (for iPad anyway) where software will be behind hardware for many many years.

Reactions: YaBoiD

DeepSix

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2022
I saw the apple event and was a little upset! Apple unveiled the new iPad Air and is practically the same as the iPad Pro 11" M1 (I owned months ago).

Don’t worry, it’s not the end of the world. Your Pro isn’t going to stop working when the Air 5 is out.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
No regrets here. Not like I can get a 1TB option with the Air 5.

Besides, as far as biometric authentication goes, power button TouchID fails much, much, much more often than home button TouchID or FaceID for me. Seems like power button TouchID hates the fingers on my left hand.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
This story isn't that different than when the iPad Air was first announced in 2019 - it really brought into focus the value of the iPad Pro 11". Currently, the iPad Pro still has a lot going for it and if the rumor updates happen then it will have:
  • M2 chipset
  • 11" mini-LED display with ProMotion (vs 10.9" standard display)
  • 5G mm vs standard 5G
  • Thunderbolt port vs only USB-C
  • Face ID
Honestly, the only one of those that I think matters for 95% of users is the display. The iPad is all about the display, so having a meaningfully better screen is a big deal. Still, all of the above is kind of a moot point for use cases like @rui no onna because it's tops out at 256GB. Plus, if you spec it up to 256GB, you're only $50 away from the iPad Pro (albeit at 128GB).

I think the iPad Air is an awesome device, but I still think it's a bit too expensive if Apple wants it to be the mainstream iPad. Personally, I want the best display possible and at least 512GB storage, so I'm still in the iPad Pro camp.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
This story isn't that different than when the iPad Air was first announced in 2019 - it really brought into focus the value of the iPad Pro 11". Currently, the iPad Pro still has a lot going for it and if the rumor updates happen then it will have:
  • M2 chipset
  • 11" mini-LED display with ProMotion (vs 10.9" standard display)
  • 5G mm vs standard 5G
  • Thunderbolt port vs only USB-C
  • Face ID
Honestly, the only one of those that I think matters for 95% of users is the display. The iPad is all about the display, so having a meaningfully better screen is a big deal. Still, all of the above is kind of a moot point for use cases like @rui no onna because it's tops out at 256GB. Plus, if you spec it up to 256GB, you're only $50 away from the iPad Pro (albeit at 128GB).

I think the iPad Air is an awesome device, but I still think it's a bit too expensive if Apple wants it to be the mainstream iPad. Personally, I want the best display possible and at least 512GB storage, so I'm still in the iPad Pro camp.
M1 11 Pro has 5G mm wave now as well as FaceID unless I'm not understanding your listed rumored specs on the next generation 11 Pro..

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
The Pro still looks like the better value to me. It's the Air that's in a weird position at that price point.
Maybe. I think it’s more clearly the case if you need more than 64GB that the Pro is a better option.

If someone can get by with 64GB, the M1 Air seems pretty good value.

Last edited:
Reactions: snipr125

AstroRexaur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2021
I am very curious about that too. I’m sure Apple is cautious to maintain a significant gap in features and power between their products, especially the ones with the Pro label. The update to the iPad Air was quite significant, so I expect the next upgrade to iPad Pro to be quite big too.

Only speculating here, but maybe Apple will give the M1 Pro chip to the Pro ipads, for extra GPU power? I could see also a second Thunderbolt port. That could add up to the rumors about wireless charging and the Retina XDR display coming to the smaller iPad Pro.

The other possibility is that Apple discontinues the 11 inch iPad Pro, and keep the Pro label only for the larger 12.9 inch tablet. There are no rumors at this moment that the smaller model could be discontinued, but it seems that Apple needs to either distinguish further the iPad Pro 11 inch from the iPad Air, or to stop producing it.

Either way, I’m sure Apple will deliver a big upgrade to the next iPad Pro to keep it competitive. I think the iPad needs more drastic changes on the software side than the hardware side, but that is an other debate…
THIS!!! Is what im talking about, not the differences and technicalities of Air vs Pro because i know the differences. Is A “what if…” moment and ideas on how apple will differentiate Air and Pro further more than Promotion, face id etc. Something big enough to convence the 95% of people, that dont know technology and technicalities, to buy Pro over Air. I write this because We, all the people that wrote in this forum, know about tech stuff and we are “apple fans”. But if i take the position of the 95% of “normal” people i’ll buy definitively the Air right now (even if the Pro has “vast differences“ that justify the price)

• Love
Reactions: snipr125

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
THIS!!! Is what im talking about, not the differences and technicalities of Air vs Pro because i know the differences. Is A “what if…” moment and ideas on how apple will differentiate Air and Pro further more than Promotion, face id etc. Something big enough to convence the 95% of people, that dont know technology and technicalities, to buy Pro over Air. I write this because We, all the people that wrote in this forum, know about tech stuff and we are “apple fans”. But if i take the position of the 95% of “normal” people i’ll buy definitively the Air right now (even if the Pro has “vast differences“ that justify the price)

Camera. Display. Storage.

It’s really very similar to the proposition between iPhone 13 and 13 Pro. Camera. Display. Performance. If you don’t know technology, you go with iPhone 13 and iPad Air. If you want more, you pay $200 more in both cases.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
The Pro still looks like the better value to me. It's the Air that's in a weird position at that price point.
I have seen this comment about the ipad air a few times on MR. Some people, mainly IPP owners don't understand why the air is in the line up or its in a weird position, yet the iPad Air sells significantly more units than Pro 11 and appeals to a far wider demographic. Its clear at this point that Apple view the 11” tablet size at the £500-£600 price point that the air delivers, and that the 12.9 IPP is what they they want you to buy with its XDR screen.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I think M1 is a natural improvement for all apple device (including iPad and -maybe next iPhone). So the pro came into: better display, more RAM, more storage, better port and bigger size.

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
Even before the introduction of the Air 5, I thought of the Air and Pro as different versions of the same model. They effectively share the same chassis and now they share the same engine - for a while. Think of it like buying a car where you have different trim levels and options.

Another factor in this is Apple’s pricing structure and the proximity of the Air to the Pro. The Air is far closer to the Pro than the base iPad.

As far as the current M1 Pro 11 is concerned, sales of these will be tailing off anyway. Early adopters have already upgraded and we’ve gone through the crucial Christmas period, besides which, if you do want the extra features, the cost to upgrade is not that great.

George_A

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2017
Cambridge, UK
For me the significant difference is capacity and Pro-motion. Can’t really justify going back to a non pro-motion screen in both iPhone and iPad.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

I think the new air will appeal to android tablet users.

I am still using a 2018 iPad Pro. I am not upgrading until I see the next M2 iPad Pro, because I an not willing to give up features like promotion and the better speakers. But for people who don’t need the bells and whistles, there really is no way for android tablet OEMs to compete with an ipad containing a desktop class CPU.

If there wasn’t only an ipad market before, there is only the ipad market now. The only other android tablets you will see in the future are cheap ones used for media consumption.

Reactions: Devyn89

Codestud

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
I am looking to upgrade from an iPad Air 2 which I've only ever used for relatively casual content consumption, but I've still managed to fill half of my 64Gb of space. So it's disappointing that 8 years later, the base model still has 64Gb and so that doesn't feel like an upgrade.

If I went for the larger 256Gb model, that's now more or less the same price as the 128Gb iPad Pro. Therefore I might as well just get the Pro, but then getting a Pro seems overkill.

If Apple had offered a 128Gb option on this new Air then that would have been perfect, but no.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.