Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I wasn't sure wether or not to post a whole new thread for this...then I just decided, oh to hell with it! :D

It arrived while I was at work this afternoon, and wouldn't you know it, I was on a late shift today, do'h! It was a long afternoon/evening (finish at 7pm), but finally at about 19:45 I got home and started about setting up my new baby (ahhhhhh).

Anyway, here she is, nothing all that special I know, it's no dual 2.5GHz+30", but it's all I need, and the form factor is just an absolute winner!

stoid

macrumors 601
That's so beautiful man! I'm jealous in a big way. Those monitors just look so nice next to each other. Now, if only the iMac didn't have that big white space, but I guess that's the trade off for not having a tower to position.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
stoid said:
Now, if only the iMac didn't have that big white space, but I guess that's the trade off for not having a tower to position.
It doesn't bother me at all actually. I'm also waiting on (should be here tomorrow) the mini-vga to vga adapter so that one of the inputs on the middle screen can be the iMacs 2nd screen....sweetness! :D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Replacing a quicksilver with an iMac?

Hmm - what's the speed comparisons between the two?

Congrats on the new machine....jealous here (until I actually get to order my new machines ;)).

D

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
you're really into wireless stuff lol. that looks really good with the two other displays. that'd be nice if you could have 'em all w/ the imac :p

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Mr. Anderson said:
Replacing a quicksilver with an iMac?
Looks like it! :eek:
Hmm - what's the speed comparisons between the two?
Well, hard to say really, the only thing I can say is that Safari took 3-4 bumps to open on the Quicksilver, it takes 1 on this :D
Congrats on the new machine....jealous here (until I actually get to order my new machines ;)).
I think I remember you talking about what you will order when you do, and I can assure you, I will be VERY jealous then!

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
edesignuk said:
VERY. So, so, so much quieter than the Quicksilver it replaces (which is still plugged in at the moment in those shots).
I'm starting to take that back actually...just turned off the Quicksilver (which I thought was producing all of the noise) and it's still pretty noisy, more than a whisper without a doubt, and it's pretty much idle..god dammit. Apple are sending out replacement fans aren't they?

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Savage Henry said:
Does the middle screen have a picture of Snow White weilding a chainsaw?
Looking at it it looks like some sort of anime-style character giving the finger....admittedly Snow White with a chainsaw would be a cool background :D

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
nice setup. :cool:

looking at the thumbnails, i wondered what the hell your talking about? this guy calls a new monitor his 'baby'? :eek: upon closer inspection... ;)

dual-screens on the iMac will be sweet. are those keyboards easy to use like that? ever tried them side by side?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
cb911 said:
dual-screens on the iMac will be sweet. are those keyboards easy to use like that? ever tried them side by side?
Tried 'em side by side a long time ago, but I find it better like this to be honest. I use the Mac keyboard most of the time, and the PC one is wireless so it's easy enough to move them around when I want.

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
edesignuk said:
lol, no, it's this :)

Oh now I see ... I still think the age-old classic of a bunny with a pancake on it's head makes more of a radical statement for today's yoof culture .. I know I salute every time I see it....

Meanwhile, back at the ranch.. the earlier point you made about the quality of the screen compared to the others is very valid. The first time I saw one it really screamed quality, but was stood on it's own. It's good to actually see it shine in a line up. Nice comparative shot. :)

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Congratulations, your new baby does look great, is it noisy because you were expecting a totally silence machine or because it bothers the concentration totally? you know, if you were used to a quicksilver noise, noise couldn't be that loud, but if you're at work and can't concentrate ... :eek: Have you heard an eMac ? that's pretty loud...

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
cb911 said:
edesignuk, i just came accross some older pics of your setup from 2001/2002 i think. it's greatly improved now. :)
lol, yeah, was was a real tip back then, but things have moved on a notch :D

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
AmigoMac said:
Congratulations, your new baby does look great, is it noisy because you were expecting a totally silence machine or because it bothers the concentration totally? you know, if you were used to a quicksilver noise, noise couldn't be that loud, but if you're at work and can't concentrate ... :eek: Have you heard an eMac ? that's pretty loud...
No, it's noisey, no where near whisper quiet, and keeps making this weird high pitched noise on and off. I've spoken to Apple this morning, and they want me to turn the sreen brightness down when it next does it :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.