Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
edesignuk said:
No, it's noisey, no where near whisper quiet, and keeps making this weird high pitched noise on and off. I've spoken to Apple this morning, and they want me to turn the sreen brightness down when it next does it :confused:

tell them you dont want to turn the screen brightness down as you want to be able to se what your doing and tell them NO I DONT WANT TO PUT IT IN THE FREEZER

its not on man...tell them to get you a new one or new parts asap, its obviouly a problem

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
AmigoMac said:
Congratulations, your new baby does look great, is it noisy because you were expecting a totally silence machine or because it bothers the concentration totally? you know, if you were used to a quicksilver noise, noise couldn't be that loud, but if you're at work and can't concentrate ... :eek: Have you heard an eMac ? that's pretty loud...

the new eMac.. Concorde quiet ;)

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
AL-FAMOUS said:
tell them you dont want to turn the screen brightness down as you want to be able to se what your doing and tell them NO I DONT WANT TO PUT IT IN THE FREEZER

its not on man...tell them to get you a new one or new parts asap, its obviouly a problem
I don't think they're saying this is the solution, but they claim that if the noise does go when I do this then it is the PSU at fault :confused: whatever, I'm not gonna go away until they fix it!

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
edesignuk said:
I don't think they're saying this is the solution, but they claim that if the noise does go when I do this then it is the PSU at foult :confused: whatever, I'm not gonna go away until they fix it!

Definitely, don't put up with it. My wife's 20-incher is whisper quiet all the time.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
edesignuk said:
I don't think they're saying this is the solution, but they claim that if the noise does go when I do this then it is the PSU at foult :confused: whatever, I'm not gonna go away until they fix it!

So did you turn it down and did it fix the problem? That really sucks, sorry to hear about it - especially since I just ordered a 20" for my mother in law - well, sent her the order to approve, she'll probably order it this week. Since I'll be setting it up its good to know this might be an issue before we transfer all the files and install the apps....

Good luck.

D

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Mr. Anderson said:
So did you turn it down and did it fix the problem?
Don't know yet, had to leave for work before I could try it, I'll find out tonight though hopefully, and report back!

Other than the noise, it's a fantastic machine :)

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
Nermal said:
Both the left and middle ones are from here.

:cool: Man, that is sucha cool site ... more resource to fuel my pro-Apple subversion at work :D

Back on the machine, that's a bummer about the noise. I'd have to admit that it is the only part of the design that I've got my doubts about. My 2nd gen is so quiet that I hate the noise it makes when it reads a CD, or even the click on the mouse (but only when I'm in a really bad mood).

Hope there is a simple uncomplicated fix that never brings this problem to light again.

kjgnola

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2004
New Orleans
Fan Noise

Gatorron posted this a while back in the iMac shipping thread, couldn't find it if I tried most likely. But anyway he said that his experience was that he turned down the thermostat in his house a bit and that took care of it for him.

I noticed the same thing yesterday, once I got the room cool the fans were quiet again.

What I think this proves is that either the iMac must be run in a cooler to be quiet or the fans are not truly "whisper" quiet.

I never get the high pitch noise that some complain about, but they do get noisy once they get up and running. The crazy thing is the loudest they do get is when I am printing. I print wirelessly through AP Extreme so it seems rather strange that that is when the machine is at its hottest.

Or I guess we could all just run up our electric bills by cranking up the AC year round.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
kjgnola said:
Or I guess we could all just run up our electric bills by cranking up the AC year round.

That's such an elegant fix :D :p

I hope that Apple does have a real fix for this, though. So what's a good ambient temp? Reminds me of the computer labs back in college that were always chilly...

D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
cb911 said:
and Mr. Anderson, helping the outlaws with computer purchases, that's awfully nice of you. :)

Actually just ordered it tonight :D

20" iMac and an iSight. The fun has just begone - I get to set it up over Thanksgiving and install a few apps.

I'll also be adding folding to that as well :D

D

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
So, what is happening to that Quicksilver?

:D

Really nice, but isn't there something about the iMacs not being able to use dual screens, they can just mirror, or am I hallucinating again?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
edesignuk said:
Don't know yet, had to leave for work before I could try it, I'll find out tonight though hopefully, and report back!

So what happened....I'm hoping that this isn't a wide spread issue...especially since I'll be ordering another one in a couple months for my wife.....

D

ebook

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2004
Sprint Car Capital of the World
Well, I'll tell you what edesignuk...if they say they will send you something it's not just going to be a couple of fans, it will be the whole midplane assembly...read COMPUTER. It's not hard to replace, just make sure your airport extreme card still works...check out my problems...

I hope you get everything figured out.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Mechcozmo said:
So, what is happening to that Quicksilver?

:D

Really nice, but isn't there something about the iMacs not being able to use dual screens, they can just mirror, or am I hallucinating again?

Yeah, but there's a hack to override that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.