Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
On the front above the sleep light the case is warped slightly, this goes for the right and left side of the front too. I admit it's a minor warp but still bothers me. I paid good money for a perfect design which now is only near to perfect.

Am I just splitting hairs here?

Attachments

• Snapshot 2006-09-10 17-41-25.jpg
    Snapshot 2006-09-10 17-41-25.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 408

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Temujin said:
I'm asking for an opinion, if you have none then please don't reply to this thread.

in my opinion your being too picky over nothing and also quite condescending. If you really feel you have a valid complaint here over the "warping" of your laptop then take it back.

But judging from that picture you have nothing to complain about.

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
miles01110 said:
I don't see the warping- could you explain it in words? Maybe I'm just having temporary blindness.
Well it IS minor, I didn't notice at first. But if you look at the pic and follow the grey plastic line you can see that the aluminum is warped slightly.
Look between the two orange squares.

Attachments

• Snapshot 2006-09-10 17-41-25 + paint.jpg
    Snapshot 2006-09-10 17-41-25 + paint.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 264

skillz1318

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2006
heres my opinion:

i paid around $2300 for my mbp after warranty and all and i expect a perfect machine and i wont settle for less...if your parents paid for it or it was a gift you might not feel as it matters as much since its not your money...all i know is if it happened to me after $2300 i would bring it to a local apple store and complain

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Temujin said:
Well it IS minor, I didn't notice at first. But if you look at the pic and follow the grey plastic line you can see that the aluminum is warped slightly.

ok, now I can seen the little hairline of warping your talking about...but still your being WAAY too picky. Yes, it's "less than perfect", but that's the world we live in.

I think it's time to take a deep breath, relax and remember that there are children starving in the world and your complaining about 1mm of imperfection in a laptop computer.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
Temujin said:

I'm going to have to take everyone else's side and say that you are being way too picky. I know it's a new, nice computer, and you want it to be perfect. I felt the same way about my iBook when. However, sometimes things can't be 100% perfect, and a tiny, tiny flaw like this is one you will have to learn to live with.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
yeah... count me in for "you're being too picky."

Try rubbing it in with your finger?

When my PB went in for repair, she came back with a bowed out part around the video-output.
The next time she went in for repair, I asked them to massage it back in... while it's still bowed out slightly, it's not as bad.. a little bigger than yours.

Stuff happens. *shrug*

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
skillz1318 said:
heres my opinion:

i paid around $2300 for my mbp after warranty and all and i expect a perfect machine and i wont settle for less...if your parents paid for it or it was a gift you might not feel as it matters as much since its not your money...all i know is if it happened to me after $2300 i would bring it to a local apple store and complain
That was what I was thinking. I paid for the thing my self, as I'm a student it took a long time to save up the money. Got bills to pay and well I kind of need food too.

Any of you guys think it is possible to fix on my own? I guess I just have to apply pressure the right places for the aluminum to bend back in place again.
I really need the thing for class, so if possible I would prefer not being without it for several weeks.

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
Keep in mind guys, when I got the MBP is was in perfect condition. No warping at all. Too me the value of my MBP has devaluated.
One of the main reasons why I chose an Apple laptop over say an Acer or ASUS laptop was because they are perfectly designed.

But I guess it all comes down to what your focus are. Some choose Apple because of the OS some because of the hype, and some like me focus on design.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
This has absolutely nothing to do with its perfect design. Nobody is going to be looking at the thing under a magnifying glass. The case still looks perfect, and there is no need to stress over a meaningless thing like this. So the case is only 99% perfect. You are going to have to deal with it.

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
When the item in question is yours, and you spent a good deal of money on it, you're going to notice even the smallest deficiency (I know I do.) When it's not yours, you say "you're over-reacting." It's way too relative.

You spent the money. Take it to an Apple Store, or call support and just ask if they'll allow you to send it in for repairs.

skipsandwichdx

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
What are you going to do when the case gets a little scratch or dent in it?

And yeah, it will get scratched/dented.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
HecubusPro said:
You spent the money. Take it to an Apple Store, or call support and just ask if they'll allow you to send it in for repairs.

My personal advice: don't send it in for repair.

1. They may say it's too small of a problem and refuse to fix it.

2. They may make it worse or cause more imperfections to arise.

3. It's too much of a hassle and a waste of time to send your Mac out for repairs for something so insignificant.

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
skipsandwichdx said:
What are you going to do when the case gets a little scratch or dent in it?

And yeah, it will get scratched/dented.
If I dent or scratch it then I'm to blame and I'll just have to live with it. But in this case I'm not to blame, Apple is.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
Temujin said:
If I dent or scratch it then I'm to blame and I'll just have to live with it. But in this case I'm not to blame, Apple is.

Nobody is to blame. It's a very thin aluminum case, and aluminum warps over time, with heat, and with movement. There is no problem with your Mac.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I'd be pissed and sending it back - don't wait long - when did you get it back?

Because if it has been more than a few days...

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
CoMpX said:
There is no problem with your Mac.

That is really up to Temujin to decide. You and I might not consider it a problem, but he does. If he wants to take it in for repairs, then by all means do it. I just don't know if I would want to be without my mac for as long as it could potentially take to get it fixed. If that's not a problem for him, more power to him.

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
CoMpX said:
This has absolutely nothing to do with its perfect design. Nobody is going to be looking at the thing under a magnifying glass. The case still looks perfect, and there is no need to stress over a meaningless thing like this. So the case is only 99% perfect. You are going to have to deal with it.
Again it's all about focus. IMO the case is flawed, and I'll notice the flaw every time I use the computer.

CoMpXMy said:
personal advice: don't send it in for repair.

1. They may say it's too small of a problem and refuse to fix it.

2. They may make it worse or cause more imperfections to arise.

3. It's too much of a hassle and a waste of time to send your Mac out for repairs for something so insignificant.
2. That's what I'm afraid of too.
3. Sure it's a hassle, but again all about focus. I don't see the flaw as insignificant.

First of I'll try to fix it my self. You guys think I'll have to remove the top part of the casing before I try to apply pressure to get the casing back in place?

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
Temujin said:
First of I'll try to fix it my self. You guys think I'll have to remove the top part of the casing before I try to apply pressure to get the casing back in place?

Parts of the case like that I believe are just attached to the frame with adhesive, if anything at all. If you remove the top case, see if there is any frame behind the problem area. If there is, you could use double sided tape or glue to put the aluminum back in its place.

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
iGary said:
I'd be pissed and sending it back - don't wait long - when did you get it back?

Because if it has been more than a few days...
I got it back last monday. The consumer rights are a bit different here in Denmark, compared to the US/UK. Basically we have more power, so the few days thing shouldn't be a problem.

matttrick

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
he is not being too picky at all. the amount of money paid for these things is paid for a quality item. not some piece of crap that bends out of shape.

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
CoMpX said:
Parts of the case like that I believe are just attached to the frame with adhesive, if anything at all. If you remove the top case, see if there is any frame behind the problem area. If there is, you could use double sided tape or glue to put the aluminum back in its place.
So the warping occurs when the problem areas lack adhesive?

When checking ifixit.com I found that the entire bottom part of the casing is one big piece of aluminum. So I really don't think the adhesive will do any good. The aluminum will have to be bend back in shape to remove any sign of warping. Am I wrong here?

matttrick HecubusPro iGary I hear you brothers :)

Attachments

• 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 188
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.