Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eustachio

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2019
Google have the money, people and patents to make a better phone. They been in the hardware game for a long time so should easily be able to do much better if they actually want to rival the iphone.
Not sure I agree on the hardware front. They outsource building to others.

i just came from a pixel. Nice phone, responsive, but feels cheap compared to an iPhone.

eustachio

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2019
I mean google use another company, like HTC. The overall hw/sw integration is not as complete or holistic.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I mean google use another company, like HTC. The overall hw/sw integration is not as complete or holistic.
Google have a team who are dedicated to their phone and can easily blueprint to the factories they use. It not like either party doesn't have history making good hardware.

It's really not that hard especially for such a cash rich company. Take someone else's design, improve it, knock it out. Premium materials, all screen, large battery, Sony camera sensors, two sizes, three colours, pure android.

Google shouldn't get a free pass after years of playing at making phones and tablets. But perhaps thats all their doing, playing.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Whenever a new iPhone came out, the first test I would do, one that always failed, was to see how quickly I could rip an mp4 from YouTube, rip an mp3 from a different YouTube video and then combine them in my own creation in imovie.

For several reasons, this always seemed impossible - until I tired it on the iPhone 11 Pro Max today. It was instantaneous and easy - just like in my android devices.

I'm ready to come over to the iPhone 11 Pro Max.

Two questions:

1) How do you rip an mp4/mp3 from YouTube on an iPhone? (I'd love to do this)
2) What color Pro Max are you getting? :)

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
That is,

Here are some of the reasons I was staunch against Apple and how that has changed over the years.

Whenever a new iPhone came out, the first test I would do, one that always failed, was to see how quickly I could rip an mp4 from YouTube, rip an mp3 from a different YouTube video and then combine them in my own creation in imovie.

For several reasons, this always seemed impossible - until I tired it on the iPhone 11 Pro Max today. It was instantaneous and easy - just like in my android devices.

I was always into rooting and modding, and sideloading and all of that good stuff which was pretty straight forward, and, seemingly encouraged, on Android. This, as you know, wasn't the case, and still isn't for the most part, with Apple.

The reason I would do this, however, was to get the phone to work in the way that I thought it should right out of the box. As the years went by, the android OS matured a lot and I find no need to root or side load or any of that. So, the desire to 'tinker' is gone. That will make my possible switch to IOS Easier, I believe.

I have always owned 2 or 3 flagships a year on Android. Recently, I have stuck with the Pixel, Pixel 2, Pixel 3, and Pixel 4. My current phone is the the Pixel 4XL and the OnePlus 7 Pro (12GB of RAM and 256GB of Storage). The reason for the pixels was the absolutely outstanding, lag-free photos. Again, the iPhone 11 Pro Max has now caught up, and some would even say, surpassed the pixel in the photo department now.

I always use swype on android.... That's now baked into the iPhone.

I loved having a file system I could explore.... Now baked into the iPhone.

Storage used to be an issue with the iPhone... But now with 256GB or 512GB, especially when paired with Google Photos, that's plenty!

Another reason I avoided the iPhone was because of the dumpster fire (formerly) known as iTunes. However, now I never have to connect my phone to a computer at all to get up and running. No iTunes needed.... That was a big plus for me with Android - one Gmail login to rule them all!

This year, I feel that the pixel 4 value was simply not there... Way overpriced for sub-par hardware.

The apple hardware is top notch.

Now that Android phones are fast and powerful, the unpolished state of the apps is painfully obvious. It's like the apps are all 2 or 3 years behind in interface integration. Plus, all the premium apps are made with iOS in mind and then haphazardly ported over to Android.

The screen and haptic feedback are still light years beyond Android...

So, with all that being said, I'm sick of settling with the overpriced, under-valued Pixel 4XL, and I believe I'm ready to come over to to a device and os that didn't take a ton of shortcuts as well as decide to drop features while still charging a premium price *cough* Pixel 4XL *cough*.

I'm the biggest Android Fanboy you'll ever meet as well as the biggest hater of Apple you'll ever meet. That being said, I'm ready to come over to the iPhone 11 Pro Max.

This happened to me and I jumped to the iPhone XS Max 256GB and Apple Watch Series 3 Nike, earlier this year. I figured it was about time I gave Apple a thorough go as my daily driver as all I had before were iPads.

Long story short, I still have my Huawei P30 Pro that I love taking photos with and tinkering with Android, but I use my XS Max as my main daily driver....although I do carry the P30 Pro to.

The Apple ecosystem completely got me especially after iOS 13 which I feel brought a lot of the stuff I like on Android over to iOS while still maintaining a well integrated ecosystem.

Have you taken delivery of your 11 Pro Max yet?

EDIT:

People always forget to mention the Haptic Feedback, glad you did, these iPhones feel like other phones in that regard, the Haptics put together with the Stainless Steel, it’s pure heaven in terms of feel and aesthetics, I love it, such great attention to detail.

Last edited:

Killerq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
This happened to me and I jumped to the iPhone XS Max 256GB and Apple Watch Series 3 Nike, earlier this year. I figured it was about time I gave Apple a thorough go as my daily driver as all I had before were iPads.

Long story short, I still have my Huawei P30 Pro that I love taking photos with and tinkering with Android, but I use my XS Max as my main daily driver....although I do carry the P30 Pro to.

The Apple ecosystem completely got me especially after iOS 13 which I feel brought a lot of the stuff I like on Android over to iOS while still maintaining a well integrated ecosystem.

Have you taken delivery of your 11 Pro Max yet?

EDIT:

People always forget to mention the Haptic Feedback, glad you did, these iPhones feel like other phones in that regard, the Haptics put together with the Stainless Steel, it’s pure heaven in terms of feel and aesthetics, I love it, such great attention to detail.

Yep, exactly. People don't realize how subconscious aspects of a phone can make the entire user experience an amazing thing.

Even on the nicest Android phones, a keypress feels like a mere buzz.

On an iPhone, it feels like a physical keypress.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Google have the money, people and patents to make a better phone. They been in the hardware game for a long time so should easily be able to do much better if they actually want to rival the iphone.
Yes, but they don’t make money from selling phones. Google makes money from ads. No matter how much money they have, actual hardware won’t be their priority nor core competencies.
Imagine if Chevron made a phone. They can if they wanted to, but even if they did, it won’t be their focus as its not their main revenue nor core competency.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Apple silicon is king of the heap -- and by a big margin still. It's what allows the ultra-excellent iOS-hardware integration, meaning iPhones are responsive, lightning fast, better battery life than just about anything else out there. iOS and OSX ecosystem is fantastic.

iPhone + iPad + Mac + OSX/iOS all the way. Superior products, superior experience, markedly increased security and privacy, vastly superior resale value.

Reactions: Wide opeN

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Yes, but they don’t make money from selling phones. Google makes money from ads. No matter how much money they have, actual hardware won’t be their priority nor core competencies.
Imagine if Chevron made a phone. They can if they wanted to, but even if they did, it won’t be their focus as its not their main revenue nor core competency.
Why not just make developer devices then?

Google decided to kill off the Nexus program and go the premium route, pricing themselves against Samsung and Apple but then half arse it when it comes to the same quality.

Reactions: Wide opeN

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Why not just make developer devices then?

Google decided to kill off the Nexus program and go the premium route, pricing themselves against Samsung and Apple but then half arse it when it comes to the same quality.
At this point, developers would probably prefer testing their apps on a Samsung or Huawei device, as those are the most widespread real devices on the market. And Google probably knows this as well, so why not take an extra more profit from the Nexus/Pixel devices? And it’s not like people are complaining. Almost universally the tech reviewers are saying that the Pixel 4 are the “best Android experience.”

Smart on Google’s part to squeeze extra profit on the side. They know they’re not selling Pixel phones by the boatload anyway, and the fans are willing to shell out that money for their brand.

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
1) How do you rip an mp4/mp3 from YouTube on an iPhone? (I'd love to do this)

(for @Jimmy James too):

I found the original web site that I used to download Youtube Videos, it's here, from a reddit user via gadget hacks.com:
This Shortcut Lets You Download YouTube Videos on Your iPhone Straight from the Source, No Shady Services Needed

Just click the link from within the article that downloads th shortcut, from your iPhone or iPad. Note, you will have to change the setting "Allow Untrusted Shortcuts" in Settings/Shortcuts first if you have not already turned that on. In my case, I only turn it on to install shortcuts, then I turn it back off and the 'untrusted' shortcuts still run fine.

I have used this both from youtube.com as a tab in Safari, and with the Youtube app. The shortcut shows up in the share sheet. The downloaded video goes right in my Photos app and in the Videos album. I just used it today to download a .mp4 as a matter of fact, the shortcut runs fine on iOS 13.3. Enjoy!

Reactions: arn and Pipper99

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I found the original web site that I used to download Youtube Videos, it's here, from a reddit user via gadget hacks.com:
This Shortcut Lets You Download YouTube Videos on Your iPhone Straight from the Source, No Shady Services Needed

Just click the link from within the article that downloads th shortcut, from your iPhone or iPad. Note, you will have to change the setting "Allow Untrusted Shortcuts" in Settings/Shortcuts first if you have not already turned that on. In my case, I only turn it on to install shortcuts, then I turn it back off and the 'untrusted' shortcuts still run fine.

I have used this both from youtube.com as a tab in Safari, and with the Youtube app. The shortcut shows up in the share sheet. The downloaded video goes right in my Photos app and in the Videos album. I just used it today to download a .mp4 as a matter of fact, the shortcut runs fine on iOS 13.3. Enjoy!

Thank you!

When I run the shortcut, I get a "No URl Specified" message. Argh.

The shortcut works on some youtube videos but not others.

Last edited:

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
Thank you!

You have to be playing the video and pause it. I have only seen that message when I do not have a video running. Also, it's easy to change the alum - I created a 'Youtube Videos' album, and down at the end of th shortcut I tapped on "Recents" and a list came up to select the Youtube Videos album. It explains it in the article. It's also easy to change the shortcut to prompt you for an album each time. Final note, it will prompt for some access permissions the first time you run.

Reactions: Pipper99

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
I've been in and out of Apple for the past 10 years. Started with a Galaxy Vibrant then went to the 4S then Note 3 then iPhone 6 to 8 (for like a year), to Pixel 2 XL now currently an XR. One thing I hate about Android is the polish and eco system. Does Apple get it right all the time? No. But usually if an Apple device has an issue, everyone has an issue (lock button on the 5, bendgate, etc.). But with Android devices it can be...random (Pixel 2 screen vs XL). Also, the app store is way better on iOS than Android.

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
Thank you!

The shortcut works on some youtube videos but not others.

@Pipper99 Can you send me the url of one that it does not work on? I have never had an issue but I mostly download 4k city scapes and landscapes.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
You have to be playing the video and pause it. I have only seen that message when I do not have a video running. Also, it's easy to change the alum - I created a 'Youtube Videos' album, and down at the end of th shortcut I tapped on "Recents" and a list came up to select the Youtube Videos album. It explains it in the article. It's also easy to change the shortcut to prompt you for an album each time. Final note, it will prompt for some access permissions the first time you run.

Well, shoot. It seems to work, but I have only a white image in the Recents album. I tried turning off content blockers in Safari, but no luck.

Thank you for your help. I'll keep trying.

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
@Pipper99 I think I might know what that is. I just tried an Adele video, and it came up as a white image I think it's copyright. If you check, they have some sort of copyright stuff on some videos. I never came across that looking at city scape videos etc. Sory, maybe someone has a better solution. If you try it on a non-professional artist video that shouldn't be copyrighted, I bet it will work!

Reactions: Pipper99

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
@Pipper99 I think I might know what that is. I just tried an Adele video, and it came up as a white image I think it's copyright. If you check, they have some sort of copyright stuff on some videos. I never came across that looking at city scape videos etc. Sory, maybe someone has a better solution. If you try it on a non-professional artist video that shouldn't be copyrighted, I bet it will work!

Yeah, I was thinking that might be the issue. I tried to download "Top 20 Rock Guitar Solos of All Time", and I only see a white image. Lots of copyright stuff in that one.

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
... and I lasted less than a week. I'm on the iPhone 11 Pro Max now. I just couldn't do it. Too many issues still on Android. It's definitely way better than it used to be, but the iPhone is just miles ahead.

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
... and I lasted less than a week. I'm on the iPhone 11 Pro Max now. I just couldn't do it. Too many issues still on Android. It's definitely way better than it used to be, but the iPhone is just miles ahead.

By the way, you can use an external drive with your iPhone now, like you were doing with your Pixel...

Reactions: Bandaman

alphasports

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2019
Yes good thread with good responses. I'm in a similar boat as OP except I am truly mental with phones, switching between OS's and hardware all the time. Current inventory is a OnePlus 5T (2 years old but recently refurbed so good as new, still killer phone), Pixel 3 (got it free...really!...on an upgrade, it's a great size but has some weird software issues, may sell it), a recent iphone 8 refurbed off amazon, still have 6 weeks to return it), and my 2nd iPhone 11 Pro. I've always been an Android fanboy, but but before "always" I was an iphone fan starting with one of the first hacked ones to arrive in Canada (anyone remember the StealthSIM haha!). Anyway IMO both OS's have their pros & cons but these days I tend to prefer the security of iOS...Google's making me a bit nervous tho' as one guy here said, it's too late for me anyway, I'm in too deep! On the anti-Apple side I'm getting pretty tired of their annual iphone cash-grab, pumping out phones that have deliberately incrementally-better hardware while still employing the same TRAGICALLY BAD UI. I mean when do they evolve from the "pages-and-pages-of-unsortable-app-icons" paradigm? Android kills it with UI customization, Apple's going to need to go beyond the 5-new-iphones-a-year business model to get their **** together. But in the meantime I remain stuck in the "buying/testing/returning/occasionally keeping" cycle! Cheers

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
BAD UI. I mean when do they evolve from the "pages-and-pages-of-unsortable-app-icons" paradigm?

Well, they are sortable— you just have to sort them yourself.

But Apple really doesn’t necessarily expect you to launch all your apps from the icons anyway. Once you have pages and pages of apps, it’s easier to just use spotlight search and tap the first few letters of the app’s name and launch it from there. Honestly not any slower than scrolling through pages and pages of Android’s app drawer. It’s how a lot of people launch apps on their Macs too. And PCs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.