Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CmdrPuffin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2013
According to the footnotes on the iPhone XS page:

11. eSIM will be available later this year through a software update. Use of eSIM requires a wireless service plan (which may include restrictions on switching service providers and roaming, even after contract expiration). Not all carriers support eSIM. Use of eSIM in iPhone may be disabled when purchased from some carriers. See your carrier for details. To learn more, visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT209044.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Or lock it indefinitely. This is bollocks. You pay Apple for a dual SIM device, yet it can be turned into a single SIM device just because the carrier says so.

roken70

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2013
Or lock it indefinitely. This is bollocks. You pay Apple for a dual SIM device, yet it can be turned into a single SIM device just because the carrier says so.

Exactly. I planned not to buy a new iPhone, unless it was dual sim. Then, surprisingly, it was, and I thought, this will become an expensive autumn. Now this. I will have to wait and see what my carrier will offer. If they brick the e-sim, there will be no new iPhone.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Sucks... I would love to use my main account (T-Mobile) on the eSIM and be able to pop in a prepaid Verizon SIM when traveling on road trips...

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Sucks... I would love to use my main account (T-Mobile) on the eSIM and be able to pop in a prepaid Verizon SIM when traveling on road trips...
Your scenario will be fine as T-mobile supports the eSIM.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Then why was AT&T one of the ones listed that they worked with and that support it?

Very confusing.

Oh, AT&T will support it; but they will probably lock the eSIM to their network as soon as it's activated on their network -- just like they did with the iPad Pro eSIM.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Oh, AT&T will support it; but they will probably lock the eSIM to their network as soon as it's activated on their network -- just like they did with the iPad Pro eSIM.
Imagine a tourist visiting the US, unknowingly decided to activate on AT&T. Bam.
How could Apple even allow this.

chars1ub0w

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2017
Here, there and over there
Seems it's better to buy the Mainland China, Hong Kong or Macau version with front and back SIM cards in the tray. We may have this problem in reverse...
Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 12.08.27 PM.png

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
I looking forward to the day of no sim cards. Turn on your phone, go into cellular settings, phone automatically detects carriers available, and you can choose which one you want to use, whether for 1 day, 1 week, a month or a year. Use apple pay to pay for the service, and off you go.

Reactions: a reader

wulfin

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2014
Calgary, AB
Only Bell will be supporting this in Canada at launch. Since dual sim is my main reason for upgrade, I’ll have to wait to see what Telus does .. since both my cell phones are on Telus (and would love to only carry 1 device).

sactownbwoy

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2008
Sprint didn't block my ipad esim. When I moved to a different location on base, Sprint doesn't have good service so I signed up for ATT using the esim no problem.

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
Only Bell will be supporting this in Canada at launch. Since dual sim is my main reason for upgrade, I’ll have to wait to see what Telus does .. since both my cell phones are on Telus (and would love to only carry 1 device).
I wonder if they will lock it to Bell only sims, I’m hoping not. As I have both a Bell and a Rogers.

Ebok

Suspended
Aug 22, 2018
I wonder if they will lock it to Bell only sims, I’m hoping not. As I have both a Bell and a Rogers.

carriers in canada are not allowed to lock anything to their network anymore, so this will not happen.

all phones must be unlocked for free or sold unlocked as of dec 2017. i can't see this being any different for a dual sim phone.

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
carriers in canada are not allowed to lock anything to their network anymore, so this will not happen.

all phones must be unlocked for free or sold unlocked as of dec 2017. i can't see this being any different for a dual sim phone.
That’s true, if so it would be awesome to use both carrier sims in one phone, thanks!

Ebok

Suspended
Aug 22, 2018
That’s true, if so it would be awesome to use both carrier sims in one phone, thanks!

i wonder if it would be possible to use a voice+data plan on one sim, and a data only sim in the other? that way you can get extra data for just a little bit more.

i believe i saw fido was offering a 3gb tablet plan for $15 at some point.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Seems it's better to buy the Mainland China, Hong Kong or Macau version

I find it a little odd that Apple is using the Mainland China model for HK and Macau too. In previous years they seem to have been trying everything they could to make the practice of buying in HK and illegally importing the China more difficult... yet this seems to be encouraging it. I guess Apple is worried about having too much cash tied up in China...

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I find it a little odd that Apple is using the Mainland China model for HK and Macau too. In previous years they seem to have been trying everything they could to make the practice of buying in HK and illegally importing the China more difficult... yet this seems to be encouraging it. I guess Apple is worried about having too much cash tied up in China...

Why would Apple care? You're confusing China customs and tariffs with Apple business practices.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Why would Apple care?

Because Hong Kongers were getting uppity about not being able to buy iPhones, as they were all instantly reaching the grey/black market. As a deterrent, HK has super restrictive policies which Apple doesn't use in other territories, including a no returns policy.

Reactions: jpn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.