Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Some of the other apps don't have matching icons, but their icons still remain relevant. I think as long as it relates to gaming or the bubbles it should work as a good icon.

I'll let some more feedback roll in before making a decision.

Because their icons can't factor in to their UI (ex. Settings, Safari)

Last edited:

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
GameCenter is not a darts app.

I chose the dart board because Apple used it before for Game Center, and I think it helps to represent what the app is about (games). If you read the previous comments you'll see that it's already been discussed, and that I will change it provided I get decent feedback and suggestions.

Why are people hating on the dart board though? Nobody seemed to complain when it was used in Game Center from iOS 4 to 6...

----------

Because their icons can't factor in to their UI (ex. Settings, Safari)

Ah, good point.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I chose the dart board because Apple used it before for Game Center, and I think it helps to represent what the app is about (games). If you read the previous comments you'll see that it's already been discussed, and that I will change it provided I get decent feedback and suggestions.

Why are people hating on the dart board though? Nobody seemed to complain when it was used in Game Center from iOS 4 to 6.

In iOS 6 the icon makes GC look like a 4-1 game app. In iOS 7 the icon matches the interface which is circles of players. It's not a games app, it's a social app.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
So let's sum up then:
-People don't like the green background. That's fine, I can make it purple to match the app's UI.
-People don't like the dart board, or in fact any image which makes the app look like a game rather than a social hub.
-If anyone can come up with an image I could use to replace the dart board that would be great help. If not, I'll have to fall back to the bubbles (which I'm not a fan of, but oh well).

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
WTF dartboard?

Your Game Center icon looks absolutely horrible, and it's rough looking because you're a terrible designer. It needs to be bubbles because people blow bubbles when they talk to each other! Also, neon green was a stupid choice on your part; it's not like Apple used it for, say, their messages app or phone app, so you must've invented this atrocious gradient. Back to the dartboard: sure Safari's icon doesn't match the app's content, but it's a symbol for what it does. Safari guides you, so it only makes sense that Game Center's icon conveys the app's purpose, which is to bubble people. Yep, it bubbles iOS users and makes the atmosphere bubbly.

On a serious note, great job with Safari, and I prefer your icon to the inane bubbles.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Your Game Center icon looks absolutely horrible, and it's rough looking because you're a terrible designer. It needs to be bubbles because people blow bubbles when they talk to each other! Also, neon green was a stupid choice on your part; it's not like Apple used it for, say, their messages app or phone app, so you must've invented this atrocious gradient. Back to the dartboard: sure Safari's icon doesn't match the app's content, but it's a symbol for what it does. Safari guides you, so it only makes sense that Game Center's icon conveys the app's purpose, which is to bubble people. Yep, it bubbles iOS users and makes the atmosphere bubbly.

On a serious note, great job with Safari, and I prefer your icon to the inane bubbles.

Well I'm glad someone liked it! :) Although I'm still going to change the background to purple try out a purple background for Game Center as it would match the app's UI.

Another important thing to factor in is what the general consumer thinks about the icon. I showed the green Game Center icon, along side the current iOS 7 one, to a few people. These people were not 'techy' at all, and hadn't seen any of iOS 7 before then. I also didn't tell them that one of the icons was made by me. Everyone I talked to seemed to prefer my icon (although they did pick up on the rough edges).

Also, anyone know how I could send these icons off to Apple (as I'm not a developer)?

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I haven't yet. Where would I send them, considering I'm not a developer?

I'm not sure. You could check Apple's website.

I always ask this question when people do mockups since I don't see what the point is if they're not going to send it to Apple as feedback. With iOS 7 we've seen so many redesigns out there of how people think things should look but I'll bet very few actually get to Apple in the form of feedback. If someone hates the icons and think they can design them better, then they should send their redesigns to Apple. Of course people will say what's the point as Apple won't be changing anything. To which I would then say what's the point of doing a mockup in the first place?

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
I'm not sure. You could check Apple's website.

I always ask this question when people do mockups since I don't see what the point is if they're not going to send it to Apple as feedback. With iOS 7 we've seen so many redesigns out there of how people think things should look but I'll bet very few actually get to Apple in the form of feedback. If someone hates the icons and think they can design them better, then they should send their redesigns to Apple. Of course people will say what's the point as Apple won't be changing anything. To which I would then say what's the point of doing a mockup in the first place?

Absolutely. These are changes I want to see done with the icons, so why wouldn't I want to send them off to Apple?

I'll definitely have a search around the Apple site. Some people have been sending suggestions through to the regular feedback section, but I'm not sure they take feedback for pre-release software there. If I can't find any other way, that will have to do.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
…Of course people will say what's the point as Apple won't be changing anything. To which I would then say what's the point of doing a mockup in the first place?

Simply put: it's a fun, artistic exercise.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Game Center - I pulled one of the 4 pictures from the original icon, but as a result it's a bit rough around the edges. Feel free to fix it up.

Here we go:

puXHFox.png

Last edited:

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
Your Safari icon looks absolutely gorgeous. I always hated the white frame around the compass on the current design.

For the camera icon:
I prefer Apple's design over yours. You made it a little simpler but I kinda miss that yellow dot. :D

Btw, there is this site (NeuevsOld) where people can compare the icon designs (iOS 6 / iOS 7) and choose their favorite.

Here's the result so far:

this poll is fake, most people choose the new ones over the old ones 'cause they're new, even though they're awfully ugly

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Updated with changed Stocks and Game Center icons as well as a poll (I would have added one but I don't know how to without starting a new thread). Enjoy!

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I personally like the Game Center image that was mocked up by 9to5mac the night before WWDC 2013... It looks better than the official one now...I think that with maybe some type of neutral color would look great. Or add more "colored bubbles" but make it like this concept.

http://9to5mac.com/2013/06/09/what-ios7-looks-like/

Yeah, I'd prefer the bubbles we have now but without the gloss.

nickharris1992

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
California
I decided to make some changes to a few of iOS 7's icons. Here's a screenshot with Camera, Stocks, Safari and Game Center all changed:
(Full size)

Altered icons

Safari
-Icon (120x120).
-I still need to make the compass slightly bigger to fit the Grid System. The current iOS 7 icon does fit this system because the circle border around the compass touches the most outer circle on the Grid System icon. Removing the white border means nothing is touching that outer circle, so I would have to make the compass itself bigger to touch the outer circle (it helps a lot if you've seen the iOS 7 Grid System: there's a link down below). I also need to make a 256x256 version.
Game Center
-Original Fresh Pie fix-up (120x120)(256x256). Thanks!
-Purple (120x120)(256x256).
-Green (120x120)(256x256).
-I altered the dart board so that it fits with the Grid System. To compensate for the central position of the board, I made the dart smaller (otherwise it sticks out too much). I also made a purple version in an effort to make my icon feel more consistent with the app's purple UI. Considering I only used MS Paint and Aseprite, it looks quite nice, but it could still do with a bit of fixing up. Also, that purple background colour is a bit too dark for me, but I did just pull it from the WWDC icon.
Camera
-Icon (120x120).
-All I did was remove the small orange/yellow dot next to the lens, but I think it makes it look a bit nicer without it. I need to make a 256x256 version, but I can't do that until I get hold of a high-res version of the original.
Stocks
-Icon (120x120).
-After completely removing the stripes last time, I decided to add them back but make them more subtle. Again, I can't make a 256x256 version without a high-res original.

To-do list
-Rework all changed icons to fit the Grid System.
-Produce 256x256 versions of all changed icons.
-Edit/redesign more icons people don't like (Contacts?).

iOS 7 icon Grid System
This is what I'm talking about (1024x1024).

Use the icons in iOS 7!

What do you think? Should Apple do something similar to the icons for the final release?

These are really good. My favorites are the safari and GC. Simply getting rid of the white background has made the icon 10x better. Good work bro

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
(Some of) you will be happy to know that I've sent these off to Apple through the Feedback site. I also sent a link to this thread for if/when I update more icons.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I always associated green with the stock "communication" apps so making game center green wouldn't work for me. I'm not a fan of the literal rip of the camera icon leading to the removal of a simple dot and calling it an improvement. There is nothing wrong with the camera icon in the first place. Safari is great, I love what you did with it because it is pretty much what everyone who wants to change the icons has done with it. That suggests that it is a favored design. The single stripe that stands out in stocks is silly. What does it convey? I'd remove it. Overall, it's not a bad attempt to slightly rework existing icons.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
(Some of) you will be happy to know that I've sent these off to Apple through the Feedback site. I also sent a link to this thread for if/when I update more icons.

Good, I'm glad you sent them to Apple. :)

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
I always associated green with the stock "communication" apps so making game center green wouldn't work for me.
That's another reason why I made a purple version as well, although I'm sure having Game Center green would be an easy adjustment for people to make. And in some ways Game Center does lay under the social/communication categories. Also, I didn't think a blue icon was a good idea considering how many other blue icons the OS has. But hey, it's just my take on the icon.
I'm not a fan of the literal rip of the camera icon leading to the removal of a simple dot and calling it an improvement. There is nothing wrong with the camera icon in the first place.
My goal was to simply make small improvements to Apple's icons rather than redesigning them all (even though that's exactly what I ended up doing with Game Center). I felt removing the small dot would make the icon a bit 'cleaner', which is why I did it. With the dot there it doesn't look bad at all: it was just a small change I wanted to try and ended up liking.
Safari is great, I love what you did with it because it is pretty much what everyone who wants to change the icons has done with it. That suggests that it is a favored design.
Well at least there's one icon everyone agrees on. :)
The single stripe that stands out in stocks is silly. What does it convey? I'd remove it.
The blue stripe? I'm fairly sure it's supposed to be like the stripe that appears, when you hover over an area on a graph in Stocks. I'll see what the icon looks like without the stripe and the dot and post it on this thread sometime in the next day or so. I'll just replace it with another background grey stripe.

Overall, it's not a bad attempt to slightly rework existing icons.
You've actually given feedback on my icons, which is good as it allows me to see what people like and what I need to improve on. So thanks!

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Seems ok except for the absolutely hideous Game Center icon lol

I rather agree that all the Game Center icons have been bad. I get that they want to convey this sense of connection but bubbles doesn't do it for me. I think they should go either the game board with no pieces or even the face to face profile on the current challenges screen.

Stocks and Compass are too dark and busy for my tastes. (Ultimately I would ditch the programs along with weather and calculator)

Settings looks like a drain cover. A simple single cog like the one in the finder tool button would have been better to me.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I'm not a fan of the literal rip of the camera icon leading to the removal of a simple dot and calling it an improvement. There is nothing wrong with the camera icon in the first place.

I hate the little dot. It's a mole on an otherwise flawless face. It's also the only yellow part of the icon and so small that it doesn't appear to belong. Speaking of removing simple things and calling it improvement, that seems to be a large part of Apple's ethos when it comes to designing iOS 7; OP's tweak is apposite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.