Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bad03xtreme

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
Northern, VA
Here we go:

7G6qu0M.png]Image

Looks like the Michelin man taking a dump from above.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
I hate the little dot. It's a mole on an otherwise flawless face. It's also the only yellow part of the icon and so small that it doesn't appear to belong. Speaking of removing simple things and calling it improvement, that seems to be a large part of Apple's ethos when it comes to designing iOS 7; OP's tweak is apposite.

Exactly what I thought.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
One of my favorite iOS 7 icons is the Photos icon. I know some people think it's a bit abstract and not very intuitive, but it shows a nice arrangement of colors. That's essentially all a photo is. Anyway, I don't like how some parts of each color overlap twice, as it makes the icon look less clean, so I tweaked it slightly:

ZpFVm6L.png

Last edited:

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
One of my favorite iOS 7 icons is the Photos icon. I know some people think it's a bit abstract and not very intuitive, but it shows a nice arrangement of colors. That's essentially all a photo is. Anyway, I don't like how some parts of each color would overlap twice, as it makes the icon look less clean, so I tweaked it slightly:

I'm not a massive fan of the photos icon, but this small change is definitely an improvement over the current one. It does make the icon look a lot 'cleaner'. I'd be happy if Apple made this change to the icon, even if that's all they did to it.

Gogurt48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
One of my favorite iOS 7 icons is the Photos icon. I know some people think it's a bit abstract and not very intuitive, but it shows a nice arrangement of colors. That's essentially all a photo is. Anyway, I don't like how some parts of each color would overlap twice, as it makes the icon look less clean, so I tweaked it slightly:

I also like the photos icon, but yours is definitely better!

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
Now that is what I call a welcome tweak, that Photos icon, looks nice and wayyy more organized than Apple's one. I was a fan of the original and this small tweak made it better <3

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Great tweak to the icon! Nice work! Is this what Apple has come to ? Crowdsourcing icon design. Would be ironically hilarious if they actually used yours instead of their own.

Even more ironic considering I used MS Paint for my icons :)

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012

You know the new icon is 121x120, right? It seems the colour wheel is 1 pixel too wide, causing the rest of the icon to be wider. Anyway, I fixed that in the home screen screenshot. It's just a heads-up for when you neaten it up a bit for Apple.

Last edited:

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
You know the new icon is 121x120, right? It seems the colour wheel is 1 pixel too wide, causing the rest of the icon to be wider. Anyway, I fixed that in the home screen screenshot (doing that now). It's just a heads-up for when you neaten it up a bit for Apple.

Alright, cool.

Thanks for the tip. That's the last time I ever freehand the proportions of a square! I fixed it and sent a version off to Apple. How did you attach your images? I just added a link to a hosted copy.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
One of my favorite iOS 7 icons is the Photos icon. I know some people think it's a bit abstract and not very intuitive, but it shows a nice arrangement of colors. That's essentially all a photo is. Anyway, I don't like how some parts of each color overlap twice, as it makes the icon look less clean, so I tweaked it slightly:

send this! way better!

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
How did you attach your images? I just added a link to a hosted copy.

Yep, I did the same. There's nothing else you can do (unless developers get a tool to attach images when sending feedback to Apple). I also added a link to this thread.

Note to everyone: I just finished updating the first post with Fresh Pie's new Photos icon. Enjoy!

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Last edited:

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
To keep this thread going, I thought I post my own take on voice memos. I based it on the Camera icon, so that both media inputs would have the same theme:

4yyJ6yC.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.