Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lovewd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
So today I discovered that if I shake my iPhone 5s, I can hear something rattling in the camera/lock button area of the device. I've only dropped my phone one time in the 8 months I've had it. Anyone have any idea of what this could be? Is it going to cause me problems later on? So much for apples "amazing build quality" lmao

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You dropped the phone and then talking about quality?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
So today I discovered that if I shake my iPhone 5s, I can hear something rattling in the camera/lock button area of the device. I've only dropped my phone one time in the 8 months I've had it. Anyone have any idea of what this could be? Is it going to cause me problems later on? So much for apples "amazing build quality" lmao

So YOU drop your phone and are blaming Apple for the possible damage.

Seems to be a lack of taking responsibility for one's OWN actions!

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008

It's the 'floating lens system' Apple uses for Auto Focus. It's perfectly normal.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I dropped it once like 4 months ago and the issue just started now. So?

How does that point more to Apple's lack of quality as you seem to imply rather than being more related to potential damage that was caused by the drop (perhaps making something loose enough that after some time it disconnected)?

lovewd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
How does that point more to Apple's lack of quality as you seem to imply rather than being more related to potential damage that was caused by the drop (perhaps making something loose enough that after some time it disconnected)?

So you're telling me after 4 months something would disconnect because of a 1 foot drop? Sounds like fanboy logic to me. If you're not going to be helpful, you can choose another thread to respond in. Don't waste my time with crap like this. Thanks for taking the time to look at this though bye

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
So you're telling me after 4 months something would disconnect because of a 1 foot drop? Sounds like fanboy logic to me. If you're not going to be helpful, you can choose another thread to respond in. Don't waste my time with crap like this. Thanks for taking the time to look at this though bye

C DM had a valid point. You're the one wasting everybody's time. You have two valid possible scenarios for why there's a rattle inside your phone in the replies above. One of those should more than likely explain your rattling.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009

If you choose to actually listen to posts, then you will discover it is the floating lens autofocus system in the phone's camera.

Also, stop shaking your ****in' phone.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
My 5S used to rattle and it was never dropped. It ended up being the lock button, not the lens. You can test this by shaking the phone while holding the button with your finger.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ah, yes, now that we throw in pointless namecalling that will totally make whatever you say sound that much more rational and important. Good luck with that. :rolleyes:

lovewd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
If you choose to actually listen to posts, then you will discover it is the floating lens autofocus system in the phone's camera.

Did I say something to indicate I didn't listen to the posts?

----------

Ah, yes, now that we throw in pointless namecalling that will totally make whatever you say sound that much more rational and important. Good luck with that. :rolleyes:

Actually it wasn't pointless due to the fact that I found your logic fanboyish and pointless, and since this is a thread that I started, it makes what I said valid. I don't know why you bothered replying since you clearly had no desire to be helpful.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.

----------

Yes. None of the posts you made after the first guy pointed out the floating lense system were an acknowledged of that, and instead we're all defensive and inflammatory retorts.

It's pretty obvious that you've made up your mind that your iPhone is junk and that everyone who disagrees is a fanboi.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

----------

Actually it wasn't pointless due to the fact that I found your logic fanboyish and pointless, and since this is a thread that I started, it makes what I said valid. I don't know why you bothered replying since you clearly had no desire to be helpful.
Just like the last sentence of your OP truly made a meaningful and relevant point to it all--just because you started the thread doesn't in any way imply anything about validity or importance of what you might be saying as you are just another poster on an internet forum, just like the rest of us.

You could have saved yourself the trouble by not bothering with that unnecessary statement and probably not even mentioning the drop given that you wouldn't attribute anything to it even if there was something to attribute to it. Doesn't quite seem like you were looking for actual answers (even though a number of possibilities provided) and instead wanted to try to make some point about Apple, basically just because it seems.

lovewd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
Just like the last sentence of your OP truly made a meaningful and relevant point to it all--just because you started the thread doesn't in any way imply anything about validity or importance of what you might be saying as you are just another poster on an internet forum, just like the rest of us.

You could have saved yourself the trouble by not bothering with that unnecessary statement and probably not even mentioning the drop given that you wouldn't attribute anything to it even if there was something to attribute to it. Doesn't quite seem like you were looking for actual answers (even though a number of possibilities provided) and instead wanted to try to make some point about Apple, basically just because it seems.

I'm still not seeing your reason for commenting in this post. But by all means, keep wasting your time by typing paragraphs that are too long for me to care about.

----------

Yes. None of the posts you made after the first guy pointed out the floating lense system were an acknowledged of that, and instead we're all defensive and inflammatory retorts.

It's pretty obvious that you've made up your mind that your iPhone is junk and that everyone who disagrees is a fanboi.

So like can you direct me to where I referred to the iPhone as being junk? I didn't spend $649 on this phone because I thought it was junk. But whatever you say boss. It's your time you are wasting with your pointless comments, not mine.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm still not seeing your reason for commenting in this post. But by all means, keep wasting your time by typing paragraphs that are too long for me to care about.

----------

So like can you direct me to where I referred to the iPhone as being junk? I didn't spend $649 on this phone because I thought it was junk. But whatever you say boss. It's your time you are wasting with your pointless comments, not mine.

You keep on replying, so demonstrably you appear to care. :apple:

localboy28

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
My 5s had a bad rattle after a few months use
Found out it was the battery, the sticky part came loose
I opened the back and pressed the battery so it made contact again. Worked perfect.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008

What exactly are you implying in the last paragraph?

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
So like can you direct me to where I referred to the iPhone as being junk?

Like, tots, dude. You like, implied it in the last line of your OP.

I mean, like you totally mocked Apple's claim that iPhones are high quality phone. But whateves bro. Rock on.

I didn't spend $649 on this phone because I thought it was junk.

Now how about you direct me to where anyone said you knowingly bought a phone you thought to be junk?

But whatever you say boss. It's your time you are wasting with your pointless comments, not mine.
junk.

I appreciate your concern with how I spend my free time, but no worries. I always have a few free minutes in a day to call out inflammatory posts.

Last edited:

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
I'm saying that if it was such great build quality my phone wouldn't rattling

Boy, you don't read very well!! Multiple users have stated this already so I will state it again for you: The iPhone 5S' Auto Focus feature uses a floating lens system in order to achieve its function. This is inherent to EVERY SINGLE iPhone 5S.

Your iPhone probably rattled the same day you bought it, but that would still not be a problem as that is what it is supposed to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.