Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I'm still having good luck with Sonoma, but I was clearing out some games and other bits to make space. Finder reported after things had been deleted that there was less free space. I restarted a few times with no success, but after running WhatSize software to determine what was so large, I had almost double the free space, from 151 GB to 298 GB free.

Hopefully, they'll improve this in the future.

MacMore

Suspended
Jan 4, 2024
This probably has been discussed before but I just need to vent my frustration with Sonoma. As I traveled to my other location I decided to update my 2019 Intel Macbook pro that I use to work here that used to run like whipped cream. What is this now, so slow, overheats, the fan that I never felt running feels like a blowdryer, the animations lag like this was a Pentium and it has been 3 weeks since I installed Sonoma. Never before a MacOS affected an older machine so much that it's basically unusable, the battery life lasts less than 2 hours vs 6 with Ventura. All of this for what? What's really new?
Now I have to plan and downgrade to make this machine usable again, something that I never had to do with any of my Macs before because I used to buy new ones them simply to get the newer shinier hardware. I also have to stress that my M1 Pro at home won't be as future proof as previous gens used to be and its battery life will be affected.
I run Sonoma on a 2013 iMac (unsupported using Open Core Legacy) it runs exactly the same as Catalina. Apple has less bloat than Microsoft. Proves your theory wrong....

It's not as blazingly fast as my M1 Max, but it's better than Ventura by a long margin.

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
I have been running Sonoma 14.3 on my 2009 iMac using OCLP. This iMac still has the spinner hd and 8gb of ram, been using it now for 5 days as my main computer since I work from home, not going to comply with the supervisor asking, or basically demanding that people get the latest covid jab, have NEVER got one and NEVER will, in fact I do not go to any physician since 1988 for anything or had any vaccinations since 1988 and will definitely not now ever, and this iMac runs Sonoma 14.3 very well, and actually seems faster than my 2021 Dell latitude running supported windows 11 pro with 8gb of ram and a 128 ssd. Not to mention Sonoma is prettier and the main thing IT JUST WORKS, like Apple always has. I have absolutely ZERO complaints about Sonoma, and that is running it on an UNSUPPORTED SYSTEM with a stock spinner hd.

Reactions: Tagbert

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
The Magic Trackpad Lag/stutter/sudden jump is the only thing buggy for me. Thank goodness it has gotten better with 14.3. Before the update it was happening too often. Now it's just occasionally here and there. Otherwise Sonoma is super responsive and just a no worries OS coming from that crappy Catalina.

Luckygreek

macrumors regular
May 14, 2018
Florida
personally, i find sonoma to be better than ventura (or certainly monterey), and have no idea what's so profoundly different from ventura as to be 'designed for apple's use'. can you explain that?
I'm in agreement, my 2019 iMac19,1 runs better with Sonoma than it did running Ventura, I'm looking for my GeekBench results (I ran a baseline for my iMacs) which Sonoma in 14.2 beta showed better results than when running Ventura, it goes for a 2015 17,1 iMac (internal Samsung SSD) with OCLP also showed better results with Sonoma than when it was running Monterey, now that was a surprise. The only issue I've found is on the 2015 iMac I get "ghosting" artifacts" I tried several times for a screenshot but for whatever reason it doesn't show up however in under a minute disappears, so it's not a "burn In" just temporary glitch. I'll post the results from Geekbench if I can find them. This is just my experience.
Also, my 2019 is booting from an external Thunderbolt 3 NVMe Samsung 990 Pro, so that does skew some results from GeekBench.
64 GB RAM in 2019 and 32 in 2015

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
I think you should just stop crying. Not because what you said isn’t true, but because no one really listens. Be happy with what you have or seek another platform.

macOS is an afterthought for Apple these days.

bykim5

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2020
Sonoma seems so smooth and less "bogged down" compared to Ventura and certainly Monterrey

MrScratchHook

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2022
United States
my only issue with sonoma was getting it installed, (3X) other than that its a level up better than ventura for me, but monterey is probably theee most stable macos ive ever used, and im talking all the way back from snow leopard, so ive experienced numerous macos. sierra was super stable, i think el capitan was theee worst ever.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Just got an M3 pro laptop.

The change from an old Intel macbook is significant. It's fast. But holy smokes, the things that just don't work on a new computer!

The "allow this USB accessory to connect?" window has stung me multiple times today. Sometimes I don't see it because it appears on a secondary display and/or behind another app. My webcam wasn't working even with an Apple USB C adapter with a USB A port built in, because I didn't spot the "allow this USB hub to connect?" window hiding behind my company teams chat.

I also lament the death of energy saver startup/shutdown times. Is that a Sonoma change?

So many little changes, so many little frustrations. I just need to do my work!

In two weeks I'm sure I'll forget all of this, though.
Try Terminal

Code:
sudo pmset repeat wakeorpoweron MTWRFSU 07:00:00
sudo pmset repeat shutdown MTWRFSU 22:00:00

Q-6

macforme17

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2024
USA
This topic made me register to MacRumors because I am furious with Apple for stuffing the OS14 with crap that only teens will love. Who else needs animated desktops with moving stingrays or dolphins. Give me a break. I have been mad at Apple for YEARS for forcing me to have all kinds of documents in application in 50 languages and over 100 fonts for languages I will never use.... all because the system requires it. Gone are the days when Apple actually cared what the customer wanted.I had an Apple tech HANG UP on me because I didn't want him to remotely access my computer.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
This topic made me register to MacRumors because I am furious with Apple for stuffing the OS14 with crap that only teens will love. Who else needs animated desktops with moving stingrays or dolphins. Give me a break. I have been mad at Apple for YEARS for forcing me to have all kinds of documents in application in 50 languages and over 100 fonts for languages I will never use.... all because the system requires it. Gone are the days when Apple actually cared what the customer wanted.I had an Apple tech HANG UP on me because I didn't want him to remotely access my computer.
am assuming this is humor?... 🤔

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011

I really, really enjoy the desktop and love the way it slowly stops animating when I unlock it. I'm decades beyond being a teen.

Apple does talk a lot about their emojis, but maybe that's because it's something people can understand. It's not easy to talk about bug fixes in a glossy ad. You're ignoring a lot of stuff that you can't appreciate.

It's really not a good look to complain about Apple adding languages to support other people just because you don't use those languages. I found that part of your post pretty offensive.

Reactions: Tagbert

Luckygreek

macrumors regular
May 14, 2018
Florida
The non-mounting of external disks is a real PITA
Thunderbolt or USB? I'm not on a MacPro but all my external Thunderbolt and USB-C drives mount. Can you see them in System Info, USB, Thunderbolt or Storage?
2015 iMc17,1 14.3 (23D56) Samsung SSD and an external SSD USB-C
2019 iMac 19,1 14.4 (23W5191e) This 1 is booting off of a Thunderbolt NVMe drive.

Last edited:

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
I don't know about older hardware, but on my M1 and M2, Sonoma has been my favorite MacOS in a long, long time. Not only was it the smoothest beta -> production rollout I've seen in an extremely long time (i.e., very few blocking bugs even with the early betas, etc), but the performance was so smooth I did the unspeakable and transitioned my main development MBP to Sonoma while it was still in beta 😬😎

No idea what was going on with OP's machine/setup, but I've been extremely happy with Sonoma.

Reactions: Tagbert and Queen6

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
You can always find a Macintosh 512K and fix it up. That doesn't have any of today's fancy useless stuff that you don't need. ;)

Reactions: eoblaed

profdraper

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Thunderbolt or USB? I'm not on a MacPro but all my external Thunderbolt and USB-C drives mount. Can you see them in System Info, USB, Thunderbolt or Storage?
2015 iMc17,1 14.3 (23D56) Samsung SSD and an external SSD USB-C
2019 iMac 19,1 14.4 (23W5191e) This 1 is booting off of a Thunderbolt NVMe drive.
Neither, this is a PCIe Sonnet 4xM2 disk; this is reported everywhere, check this forum or google it; also significant numbers of posts on Apple's 'support' but I notice, zero answers.

PITA because this PCIe is set up as a 4TB RAID 0 for fast caching and media files in DaVinci Resolve Studio. Hence, when I go to work with film production, Resolve will not work properly or find the drive path. The disk is nowhere to de seen via any IO, but works perfectly as it should under Monterey.

Luckygreek

macrumors regular
May 14, 2018
Florida
Neither, this is a PCIe Sonnet 4xM2 disk; this is reported everywhere, check this forum or google it; also significant numbers of posts on Apple's 'support' but I notice, zero answers.

PITA because this PCIe is set up as a 4TB RAID 0 for fast caching and media files in DaVinci Resolve Studio. Hence, when I go to work with film production, Resolve will not work properly or find the drive path. The disk is nowhere to de seen via any IO, but works perfectly as it should under Monterey.
Yeah, I recall reading that some, actually a lot of people had issues with externals under Sonoma, not mounting I thought it got resolved, obviously, I was mistaken. did it work under Ventura? TBH I thought it would affect me because of what I had read about externals, especially a boot drive. I hope you get it figured out, really sucks not having access to your files. It was a typical issue with Ultra Wide SCSI RAIDs disappearing or flat-out crash your system. I feel your pain.

Last edited:

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
Seeing as how I am running Sonoma on TWO very much unsupported computers, a late 2009 iMac and a mid 2010 MacBook Pro using OCLP, without any issues..... I have to say Sonoma is a very nicely done version of macOS, and is 2,000 times better than windows 11 ever will be. macOS is far less bloated or resource hungry, and just works without constant annoying issues no matter how minor.

henrye c3

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2023
Sonoma is as good as windows 3.0 poor network connectivity, loses files due to permission errors, destroys external drives, mail program crashes frequently, loses mail in folder transfers, and more.

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
Seems like there’s a threshold OS (usually 1-2 OS upgrades before a machine is cut off) where the upgrade is just slightly beyond what the hardware was designed for and it bogs it down considerably.

With my old 2017 Air it was Big Sur. After upgrading from Mojave which ran like a dream, the fan would spin up just opening Safari.

There’s probably not so much an issue with Sonoma—which IME runs perfectly on Mx Macs—as it not being optimized for older hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.