Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
I'm totally agree with OP.

the new features are just eye candy and resource eating trifling matters but new bugs are introduced and 20 years old features as Screen Zoom are tweaked to something unusable it doesnt change focus at edge anymore, but BEFORE reaching it!! crazy nuts.

I dont play games, so I dont know about that feature, but I regret updating from Monterey last week

Final Cut and Compressor doesn't show the estimated time accuracy as before, it shows 0% for one hours, and the GPU and asitop shows just around 50% resources used when rendering 4k h265 even doing 2 renders at once...

Spinning wheel looks erratic, and many programs show spinning wheel more often kind of hang for a while, then come back to life, making the workflow annoying.

Is my Mac Studio Max already old??

I was waiting to update later in order to save some bugs, I wont know for all you have got pass since september 23

Its been a week so all spotlight stuff has been done and check permissions, and even boot in safe mode

halledise

macrumors 68000
may i suggest you backup, erase and perform a fresh install of monterey - the last stable macOS from cupertino.
my M2 came with it so that’s what i did and am content.
that said, there are millions of Macs out there running Sonoma with aplomb and w/o any issues at all.
full erase and fresh install of any major OS update has always been my mantra.
good luck 🤞

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
may i suggest you backup, erase and perform a fresh install of monterey - the last stable macOS from cupertino.
my M2 came with it so that’s what i did and am content.
that said, there are millions of Macs out there running Sonoma with aplomb and w/o any issues at all.
full erase and fresh install of any major OS update has always been my mantra.
good luck 🤞
"monterey - the last stable macOS from cupertino" 🤔

"there are millions of Macs out there running Sonoma with aplomb and w/o any issues at all" 👍

Reactions: chevyboy60013

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
No complaints for Monterey, Ventura and Sonoma at this moment. Upon the initial release, there were some problems but these are solved now.
Running it on a MacStudio M1 and MacBook Pro M2.

• Love
Reactions: Tagbert

rhegyi

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2015
this is a singular experience, not everyone's experience, and does not represent what should happen on your M1. perhaps call apple, get help with these things, they're not common. and apple is good with support even out of warranty. good luck!
I think that was the point. You can't admit that Apple "might" over engineer the OS to make people want to buy a new computer? Apple is in business to SELL HARDWARE....I've worked with Macs for 35 years and I can attest that this does take place even before changing from Intel to Apple hardware.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I think that was the point. You can't admit that Apple "might" over engineer the OS to make people want to buy a new computer? Apple is in business to SELL HARDWARE....I've worked with Macs for 35 years and I can attest that this does take place even before changing from Intel to Apple hardware.
i can certainly admit that you have a theory.

what does 'over engineer' mean? advancing the tech? because i'm all for advancing the tech...

Reactions: Tagbert

Tuan2002

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2024
I am having the same problem as this thread on the latest MacOS Sonoma 14.4.1 on Macbook Air M2 13 inch

Relaunching Finder fixes the problem, but the issue comes back on the next reboot, even after removing all login items. The issue does not occur in safe mode.

I notice that the problem only happens if I leave Finder as the last active app before restarting (leave MacOS to show Desktop). For example, if I leave Chrome open and restart, the issue will not happen. The option to reopen windows when logging back in is checked.

The issue also happens with a new Admin user.

You can test this out by doing these steps:

Leave finder the last active app (show the Desktop)
Restart with the option to reopen windows checked
After restarting, open Chrome or any other apps
Open System settings
Close System settings -> focus switched to finder instead of Chrome (or any other last apps) -> the problem

Has anyone had the same issue and found the solution? Thanks for your comments.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.