Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arkhaminmate

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2020
I have had the same problems mounting external disks and with the "spinning circle" when unlocking my Mac. The "spinning circle" issue is also detailed here, https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/16ujf6p . I followed what the other user did - I created a new user account. After that, I could unlock my Mac with my password. So it seems like if you only have 1 user account, then you could get the "spinning circle of death" when you try to unlock your account. Definitely another bug.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I have had the same problems mounting external disks and with the "spinning circle" when unlocking my Mac. The "spinning circle" issue is also detailed here, https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/16ujf6p . I followed what the other user did - I created a new user account. After that, I could unlock my Mac with my password. So it seems like if you only have 1 user account, then you could get the "spinning circle of death" when you try to unlock your account. Definitely another bug.
Sorry, but creating a new user account is not really a “fix” for this. If the only account used on the device is the Apple ID, you’d have to create an entirely new Apple ID? That’s not realistic at all.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Not sure what Apple did with external drives in Sonoma. As I mentioned before, I’m migrating one of my external HDDs to an external SSD. I attached the SSD and formatted AFPS encrypted.

First off, what is with Apple switching the external disk owner from my user to System? Is that macOS doing that? Or is something like Carbon Copy Cloner causing it?

After formatting I restarted. Initially all drives mounted. Then I went to load CCC and suddenly my drive I’m migrating from unmounted. No reason why. After a shutdown and restart, things are now seemingly working. I’m copying about 2.5TB of data to the new SSD.

On one of the restarts, macOS even asked for the password for my old data drive, even though it’s stored in Keychain. During this time, a bunch of apps were beachballing. Again, no idea why. It was almost like, as long as the password entry box was on the screen, apps where hanging.

I notice my new SSD is again owned by System. I’m sure after I formatted it was owned by me, so something is changing it. I’ll have to wait until the clone process competes and then switch back to owned by me.

I do notice on a reboot, all external drives are slow to mount and show in Finder.

It’s almost like Apple never tested Sonoma with external drives attached?! Either that or there are just weird scenarios where the system decides to act up.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I seem to remember this last year when Ventura was released, that External Drives got all jacked up and had to be reformatted. And I honestly don't mind that again, but with all of the other issues I'm having and the impacted drives on my end being my Time Machine drives, I'm hesitant to rely on them after a full Restore at the moment.

doublejr

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2020
HERE! M2 Pro Mac mini. I have an external APFS formatted ADATA M2 2TB external ssd in Xcellon USB C 3.2 enclosure (NOT encrypted). Worked perfectly until the update to Sonoma. I was concerned that the update somehow corrupted something, but is certainly not the case as the drive and usb cable still work as expected on other non-sonoma systems i've plugged it into.

After the update, the drive in question (which is the only one of my two external drives having problems, more info below) stopped mounting, with a window popping up (will get a screenshot later) saying that it could not mount, and some options which included ignoring, and initializing anyway. Clicking on initialize does nothing. Diskutil and Disk Utility see that a device is connectd, but cannot read any info from it, and it shows a capacity of 0K. One attempt at a reboot did result in the drive being mounted for a few seconds, long enough that I was able to navigate to the drive in finder and see the data i have there. Shortly after, unmounted and have not been able to do anything about it since.

I am discouraged in that among the subset of people who are experiencing this, I dont know how many also have un-encrypted drives, and as such i'm not sure the proposed solutions are applicable.

Oddly enough, I have a samsung T5 external ssd, with an encrypted partition for time machine, and an unencrypted partition for additional data, that IS working as expected, upon reboot i need to enter the encryption password, and then mounts fine. Did not expect this kind of err on the part of Apple when it comes to their OS.

Sonoma certainly broke something for some of us, and I hope this is taken seriously.
UPDATE:

My case just keeps getting stranger.

I swapped the USB cables on my external drives, and the one that didn't mount seems to work as expected now, every time. However the other drive also still mounts. Switching the cable back once again results in the m2 external drive specifically not being recognized.

Has anyone else ever had anything like this happen, Sonoma or otherwise?

I need to rummage through some other cables and do a little more testing. This is still a problem for me as I'm not getting full 3.2 speeds since the cable isn't rated for that, but at least i can get it to mount I guess..

author.brian.mendonca

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2023
Intel Mac user here on latest Sonoma, and then on to 14.1 Beta (23B5056e) to see if the issue is fixed in the betas:

Issue is still there, so don't bother upgrading to the latest beta to see if it fixes the drives mounting issue. The only way to get my encrypted APFS drives to mount is to totally power off my 2020 iMac, disconnect my USB hubs where the drives are physically connected, power on the computer and log in, then plug the USB hubs back in with the drives. This is replicable on my local system every time and does not matter if the USB hub is used or if a direct connection.

Only workaround besides this that works for me is fully decrypting the drive, as unencrypted APFS drives seem to mount normally and as expected

Reactions: gank41

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Moved my hub (to which my external drives were attached) from the USB-C port on my Mini to the hub using the regular USB 3, and things seem to have calmed down. No longer dread restarting (cold start / reboot) and seeing what drives it does and doesn't see - and for how long. Other external USB drives (as needed) and my printers all show up as well.

Technology, huh?

vexingv

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
while i thought this issue was solved earlier with the terminal commands provided, i had a similar problem with unlocking my intel mac mini from sleep. i entered my password and the machine would beachball. i then had to manually reboot/restart by holding the power button on the mac mini. when the system came back online, my drives were still not mounted. so thus, i had to manually unlock the drives via terminal!!...

Reactions: gank41

jarman92

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2014
I updated this evening and immediately hit this issue with two external drives, both encrypted.

Here’s how I solved it.

1) Reboot Sonoma into recovery mode and select the Disk Utility from the options provided.

2) Mount each disk, providing the the filevault passphrase.

3) Reboot. The drives should now mount cleanly.

I updated two machines and the first one asked me to sign into iCloud. The second one didn’t and that’s the one where I had the issue with the disks. I also couldn’t check the iCloud settings for the same machine.

This worked for me, thanks!

fiat

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2013
So far it seems there are multiple Sonoma upgraders who encounter this issue. I wonder if this is a universal crack for all Sonoma users or just partial users with specific Mac system or whatever reason? Disclosure: I am holding with Ventura (M2 Pro Mac Mini + 2 SSDs in Trebleet dock)...

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Hmmm....I was also seeing where application windows would stay behind other windows and it couldn't be brought to the foreground. That was happening randomly.
A variant of this has been happening since monterey and happens when secure input is enabled (e.g. after typing in a password) and gets stuck on (often Safari is the culprit so restarting it tends to fix it)

You can replicate this behavior by opening terminal, enable secure input and apps open in the background when the app with secure input (terminal) is in the foreground.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
A variant of this has been happening since monterey and happens when secure input is enabled (e.g. after typing in a password) and gets stuck on (often Safari is the culprit so restarting it tends to fix it)

You can replicate this behavior by opening terminal, enable secure input and apps open in the background when the app with secure input (terminal) is in the foreground.
I have another post on that bug here:

Seems for me and at least one other person, it's related to using multiple desktops and assigning apps to particular desktops.

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I have another post on that bug here:

Seems for me and at least one other person, it's related to using multiple desktops and assigning apps to particular desktops.
Neither case applicable here. Bog standard Mini accessing one monitor, apps running in just that instance (unless you count the added 'features' Apple has added by iOS cross-pollination - and I try and avoid that as much as possible), and a powered hub that all worked perfectly fine before Sonoma. In fact, several OSs before Sonoma.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I bit the bullet and installed macOS 14.1 b3 on my 2018 Intel Mac mini and all of my drives mounted correctly within a minute or so of being logged in for the first time after upgrading. Considering how consistent it's been for most of us here with drives not mounting unless you shut off and manually reconnected each drive after signing in again, having everything "just work" the first time is great news.

astrostl

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2010
Update: Looks like the latest beta resolved the issue for me. No other changes to my system were made:

Version 14.1 Beta (23B5067a)

Same, thanks! I've never run betas, but this issue plus frequent Safari hangs prompted me to try. My external encrypted drives now mount automatically, consistently, and promptly. We'll see about the Safari side.

UPDATE: the Safari issues persist. I've never had an upgrade go anywhere near this poorly.

Last edited:

Jtte

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2018
Same thing happened on my 2018 Intel Mac Mini: 2 USB-C encrypted TimeMachine Backup drives stopped mounting on Sept 26th after upgrading to macOS Sonoma. I didn't notice until today, Oct 14th. Fortunately, I also have an online backup service that's working.

I tried booting into Recovery mode and mounting each drive in Disk Utility. They mounted fine there after entering each drive's encryption password, but the problem continued when restarting normally. I also tried unplugging the drives and plugging them back (but while the Mac remained on).

Someone here recommended shutting down the Mac, unplugging the external drive(s), turning on Mac and logging in normally, then plugging the drive(s) back in and that worked for me. Each drive mounted automatically with macOS using their stored encryption passwords in KeyChain.

What makes this problem extra bad TimeMachine didn't warn me that my backup hasn't happened in X days. It had been 18 days - yikes!

Jtte

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2018
Same thing happened on my 2018 Intel Mac Mini: 2 USB-C encrypted TimeMachine Backup drives stopped mounting on Sept 26th after upgrading to macOS Sonoma. I didn't notice until today, Oct 14th. Fortunately, I also have an online backup service that's working.

I tried booting into Recovery mode and mounting each drive in Disk Utility. They mounted fine there after entering each drive's encryption password, but the problem continued when restarting normally. I also tried unplugging the drives and plugging them back (but while the Mac remained on).

Someone here recommended shutting down the Mac, unplugging the external drive(s), turning on Mac and logging in normally, then plugging the drive(s) back in and that worked for me. Each drive mounted automatically with macOS using their stored encryption passwords in KeyChain.

What makes this problem extra bad TimeMachine didn't warn me that my backup hasn't happened in X days. It had been 18 days - yikes!
The problem recurs after restarting.

I have to shutdown the Mac Mini instead...

...then unplug both encrypted hard drives, turn the Mac on, then plug both drives back in for them to mount. (The pre-shutdown unplugging order doesn't matter.)

obesechess

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2023
I'm having a similar issue, and I apologize if it's been covered in this thread already - whenever my M2 Mac Mini goes to sleep and I start the computer back up, my two SSDs connected via USB-C dock give me an error that they were not ejected correctly. They aren't mounting or unmounting, and no data on them seems to be corrupted or anything, I can use and access them just fine, but it does make me a little nervous. Any thoughts? Or are we all just troubleshooting the same kind of thing here?

qpdbqp

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
I updated this evening and immediately hit this issue with two external drives, both encrypted.

Here’s how I solved it.

1) Reboot Sonoma into recovery mode and select the Disk Utility from the options provided.

2) Mount each disk, providing the the filevault passphrase.

3) Reboot. The drives should now mount cleanly.

I updated two machines and the first one asked me to sign into iCloud. The second one didn’t and that’s the one where I had the issue with the disks. I also couldn’t check the iCloud settings for the same machine.

This fixed it. Thank you. Hopefully it's a permanent fix.

• M1 Pro - MacBook Pro
  • Sonoma 14.0
  • Have two external hard drives (spinning disk)
    • one APFS (Encrypted)
    • other Mac OS Extended (Journaled, Encrypted)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.