Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doucer

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2023
Olds, Alberta, Canada
Yes, this, and from here go to your Applications / Utilities Folder and open Disk Utility. You should AT LEAST see your drives listed on the far left side. You may have to select View in the Menu Bar and then Show All Devices. If you see them and they're greyed out, right click on them and select Mount and if prompted for Password, select Always Remember. This way they should mount automatically when connected. If you've checked Privacy & Security settings and confirmed that's set correctly, and you're still not seeing the drives at all in Disk Utility, that could be an issue. At that point you should try using them on another device if possible to rule the drives out.
Thanks for your help. I can see the external drive listed on the left hand side. It is greyed out. When I right click the drive and select mount, I get the following message: Could not mount “Seagate Backup Plus Drive”. Any suggestions?

Doucer

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2023
Olds, Alberta, Canada
Thanks for your help. I was able to navigate to privacy and security but can't find "allow accessories to connect". I checked all the menu options and can't find it. Am I blind?
1701227763602.png

This is what I see. I have checked under every tab.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Hi folks. New to the site. I am not a technical person so having trouble following this thread. I turned to this site as I am completely frustrated since I updated to Sonoma 14.1.1. I am a photographer and have all my photos from years of photography stored on two Seagate external drives. After the update, none of the drives are showing up in Finder. At first I thought I lost everything but tried the drives on my laptop and they are there. I thought I needed a new computer but held off. Then I started researching and tried all the tips suggested to help but still can't read the drives. Can someone explain in simple terms what I need to do? Thanks in advance for any help.

Do you see the drive listed in Disk Utility (Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility)?

Did you check the permissions to make sure Seagate can run: https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/seagate-software-blocked-on-macos-007810en.html/

You can also see that a lot of Seagate software wasn't updated for Sonoma: https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/will-my-seagate-drive-work-with-macos-sonoma/

Doucer

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2023
Olds, Alberta, Canada
Do you see the drive listed in Disk Utility (Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility)?

Did you check the permissions to make sure Seagate can run: https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/seagate-software-blocked-on-macos-007810en.html/

You can also see that a lot of Seagate software wasn't updated for Sonoma: https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/will-my-seagate-drive-work-with-macos-sonoma/
The disk can be seen in the disk utility but it is greyed out. I will check the permissions and Seagate support. The drives worked perfectly fine before I updated to Sonoma. I will report back. Thanks so much for your help.

wojtekk

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2023
Edit: please ignore. Found the password in my old keychain and it was, weirdly, different. Would remove the post if I could. Apologies for this.

Last edited:
Reactions: thomasrap

thomasrap

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2023
NTFS ext seagate expansion harddrive still doesnt work with m1, macbook pro, MacOs Sonoma. I have written to seagate, awaiting reply(if any will come at all).
Anyone with more insights to this issue? will it be fixed?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"NTFS ext seagate expansion harddrive still doesnt work with m1, macbook pro, MacOs Sonoma.
Anyone with more insights to this issue? will it be fixed?"

Reformat the drive to something other than NTFS.
(this is intended to be a serious reply)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"no I cant I have data on it I need...."

Then why don't you do this?
a. copy the data you need onto ANOTHER drive (temporarily)
b. reformat the WD drive (I would suggest HFS+ [Mac OS extended, journaling enabled, GUID partition format])
c. copy the data BACK TO the WD drive?

(it's not difficult)

thomasrap

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2023
I need a drive to do that. Right now I am awaiting if seagate can do something about it.
...HFS+ [Mac OS extended, journaling enabled, GUID partition format.....HFS+, better than exfat?

thomasrap

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2023
I have another older macbook where I can access the harddrives. However I wish seagate/apple can come up with a solution....or perhaps it will be for eternity the support for NTFS will not be covered.

Doucer

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2023
Olds, Alberta, Canada

I checked the permissions and they are fine.

The software was updated for Sonoma. Does anyone have any other suggestions? My drives are not encrypted and I can see them under Disk Utility but I can't get them to mount. Super frustrating. Any help is appreciated.

thomasrap

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2023
I think I have been through most possibilities to make it work...
I just wondered if anyone have talked to seagate or know a solution where the drive can both read/write

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Fishrrman "pretty-fearless" prediction:
NTFS is never going to be supported on the Mac, any more than it is now.
Which is... not much.

If you're going to use a drive with a Mac, best solution is that it be in SOME OTHER FORMAT than NTFS...

profdraper

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
View attachment 2318592
This is what I see. I have checked under every tab.
Apple says:

In any case is BS. Mine won't mount my Sonnet 4xM2 every three boots on a regular basis. The only fix I have [none of any of the other cited waste-of-time processes work] - is to pull the power plug for 20sec (ie reset NMC) then restart & immediately zap the PRAM (Command-Option-P-R). PITA when I go to do some actual work, then am stopped by all this crap ...

Or of course, just boot into Monterey where all works as expected [NB: no encryption, permissions issues etc; not seen at all in Disk Utility, Recovery, SoftRAID or anything esle - while running Sonoma; all of the same works as expected under Monterey].

*Update:
Doiing some routine maintance on Monterey & Sonoma & along the way installed latest Sonoma 14.3.1 update. The PCIe Sonnet 4xm2 mounts without issue .... I don't know if that's going to stick yet, but so far, so good. There seems to be no mention of this in the update notes from the usual sources ...

Last edited:
Reactions: osplo

Junebuggie3

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2024
I have a OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad with four 4 TB HDD in it connected to my M1 Mac Studio. All drives encrypted. Since Sonoma, none will mount. Even from disk utility they won't mount. I removed the stored password in Keychain and when I go to mount it just hangs after I enter the password.

I can move the enclosure to my MacBook Pro (Intel) on Montery and they mount fine.

Anyone experience anything similar?
Yes, I was in the process of copying all my files from DROBO 5d3 to a new OWC Mercury Elite Pro QUAD/ and got this message:

macOS can’t repair the disk “Mercury Elite Pro Quad”.
You can still open or copy files on the disk, but you can’t save changes to files on the disk. Back up the disk and reformat it as soon as you can.
WHAT? out of the blue. I knew something was up with it, when it just DISMOUNTED TODAY AND FREAKED ME OUT. WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY.

It is really messed up now, because I cannot save anyting to it. I tried to save something and got another msg:

The document “macOS can’t repair the disk “Mercury Elite Pro Quad”. You can still open or copy files on the disk, but you can’t save changes to files on the disk. Back up the disk and reformat it as soon as you can

..png” could not be exported as “macOS can’t repair the disk “Mercury Elite Pro Quad”.

You can still open or copy files on the disk, but you can’t save changes to files on the disk. Back up the disk and reformat it as soon as you can..png”. The volume “Mercury Elite Pro Quad” is read only.

I cannot use it as my DROBP replacement now, as it is hosed up and won't save anything to it. It is just another unusable drive. I want to get rid of DROBO and have a real back up, but now I have to go buy another one. What a lousy product this is. I should have spent more money on Synology. I do not need a NAS buy a SAS

Attachments

• macOS can’t repair the disk “Mercury Elite Pro Quad”. You can still open or copy files on the ...png
    macOS can’t repair the disk “Mercury Elite Pro Quad”. You can still open or copy files on the ...png
    89.9 KB · Views: 15

Shun13

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2019
Yes, I was in the process of copying all my files from DROBO 5d3 to a new OWC Mercury Elite Pro QUAD/ and got this message:

macOS can’t repair the disk “Mercury Elite Pro Quad”.
You can still open or copy files on the disk, but you can’t save changes to files on the disk. Back up the disk and reformat it as soon as you can.
WHAT? out of the blue. I knew something was up with it, when it just DISMOUNTED TODAY AND FREAKED ME OUT. WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY.

I feel your pain. Edit: Sorry, I misread your post, I don't know about large-capacity alternatives.

Last edited:

arroz

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2023

The problem that caused drives to not mount was a bug specific to the first versions of Sonoma that is fixed in the current versions. It affected all drives of any brand (WD spinning disks and Samsung SSD for me). The symptoms were not what you’re seeing, but not mounting at all.

What you are experiencing doesn’t mean you need to throw away the drive. Was it disconnected from the Mac before unmounting? Did it suffer a power outage while being used? Did you ever get a message saying the disk was unplugged while the Mac was sleeping or unattended? There are many ways a drive can become corrupt. Some may be related to failing hardware, but others may be what I said above, just an unclean disconnection or power down. The OS is doing the right thing, telling you the file system is inconsistent and refusing to allow you to save your data there (as it may be lost) and advising you to copy the data to somewhere else while you can.

I would copy whatever I needed out of it, and reformat it. Then you can use it again. If the problem comes back during regular usage (assuming you didn’t unplug the cable before unmounting, or not suffered a power outage during active use) then you can probably assume there’s something bad with the hardware (start by replacing the cable if the drive happens to disconnect by itself while in use). If it’s a one off, it’s fine. I have drives with many years of use that corrupted once or twice occasionally due to the OS being buggy and loosing the USB connection during sleep. They are fine.

OWC_TAL

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2024
You can still open or copy files on the disk, but you can’t save changes to files on the disk. Back up the disk and reformat it as soon as you can..png”. The volume “Mercury Elite Pro Quad” is read only.
This means that the volume's directory is likely damaged. Can happen for multiple reasons, one being an unexpected shutdown or loss of connection. Open a ticket with the SoftRAID and they can help you out!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.