Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have to say I'm not surprised. Not that I was expecting Bungie to be bought, but Sony had to respond to MSFT's latest buying spree.

I'm not really seeing the logic in the purchase - I mean they only have one game in their catalog - Destiny and that's cross platform. Its not a huge game, so it wouldn't make too much sense to pull that off the PC/Xbox.

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 19, 2020
I have to say I'm not surprised. Not that I was expecting Bungie to be bought, but Sony had to respond to MSFT's latest buying spree.

I'm not really seeing the logic in the purchase - I mean they only have one game in their catalog - Destiny and that's cross platform. Its not a huge game, so it wouldn't make too much sense to pull that off the PC/Xbox.

Destiny is Siracusa's only game.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Destiny is Siracusa's only game.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean

Bungie has Destiny/Destiny 2. While they made other games, I don't know how many of them belong to MS, when they first owned Bungie. For instance MSFT owns the rights to Halo, but who owns Myth, Oni Marathon, etc. Are those other games still for sale?

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX

Most likely to prevent MS from requiring them.

And this looks like it was in the works for a while (and would neatly explain Destiny being removed from GamePass last month).

Reactions: RouterCFW

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 19, 2020
I'm not sure I understand what you mean

Bungie has Destiny/Destiny 2. While they made other games, I don't know how many of them belong to MS, when they first owned Bungie. For instance MSFT owns the rights to Halo, but who owns Myth, Oni Marathon, etc. Are those other games still for sale?

John Siracusa. google him or ATP or buy a mac

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I know who John Siracusa, and I own a mac but what does "Destiny is Siracusa's only game." That still doesn't make any sense
Looks like he liked the game (according to google, lol) it also appears he didn't like Destiny 2 initially.

Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Didn’t even know Bungie still exists ?
I'm not following them too much, but from what I gather, they and Activision/Blizzard had a not so nice break up, fans were happy because they blamed all of the woes that Destiny (or destiny 2) on them. Yet since then, Bungie has seemingly had various missteps that have angered their player base.

This leads me to wonder why Sony would pay billions - unless they have IP that never went to MSFT when MSFT cut them loose.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
If only! But Myth belongs to Take 2, and they showed no interest in it when they rushed out Myth 3 and immediately closed the studio that made it. They own Oni too, but that was rubbish.
Sigh. There goes that dream.

Luposian

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2005
If only! But Myth belongs to Take 2, and they showed no interest in it when they rushed out Myth 3 and immediately closed the studio that made it. They own Oni too, but that was rubbish.
ONI was NOT rubbish! I've played it. It was AWESOME! I wish there were a sequel! Or maybe you're referring to versions other than the Windows version? The Playstation version may have been junk. But the game, itself, was definitely NOT!

NotTooLate

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2020
If you thought it wasnt possible for Apple to be even more irrelevant in the gaming world, think again.

Another top dev gobbled up while apple peddles phone games...

Was Destiny working natively on ARM ? why would this purchase would make any impact on Apple ? its a one game company with a game that doesn't run on the new Macs.

Also Apple spending north of 90 Billion dollars on gaming studios is a very bad usage of its war chest (which is what MS is spending recently) , the return on those 90 Billions will be VERY low short term and long term.

It is very easy to see the gaming world going the way of the movies/series/SW world , where you sell your company/franchise to the Goliath's , then leave , start a new company/franchise and do another sell once the game is out , it wont be easy to keep the real talent as employees , and I can easily see an exodus once the sell is done.
If the market is this hot for gaming studios this is the most likely scenario which things move forward.

Lets see who gets take-two for GTA , that will be a big scalp to get , my money is on MS getting that one if a sale is done.

Lastly , its funny to me to see folks pointing fingers to Apple not buying studios while letting the Duoply run rampant , its bad for consumers to have all the gaming studios bought out , Apple getting so much flak for being a "monopoly" in the smartphone while MS are somehow the good guys ? spending money no other company in their business can dream to match while also locking down the SW API (DX) to be MS exclusive , thus pushing out all competitors out of the market (Apple included , as they need to use a different API to the mainstream one).

Good luck to the gamers , they are being taken for a ride by Nvidia and AMD on the HW side and now will have even less choice when it comes down to their PC/Console.

The days of cheapish game pass will soon end as MS tries to recoup some of those mega expensive deals they made , but maybe they will just wait until Sony are way behind as they keep game pass a losing proposition to hurt them.

Reactions: Irishman

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
its the only game he plays. he talks about it all the time on his podcast
Ok, that was all I was asking - out of the blue it didn't seem to make any sense - thanks for the info

Also Apple spending north of 90 Billion dollars on gaming studios is a very bad usage of its war chest
I agree, I don't see Apple trying to pivot the Mac so it becomes the defacto gaming computer in the industry. The industry has matured and coalesced to a point where that's not really feasible.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
Presumably they are working on interesting new unrevealed games. I don't think you'd pay that much for Destiny.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Presumably they are working on interesting new unrevealed games. I don't think you'd pay that much for Destiny.
Sony has admitted they are interested in "Live Game Services", which is something Bungie is "good" at. Sony has multiplayer experience (not really recently though) but is missing the get folks to pay for expansions and upgrades "expertise".

Reactions: bluecoast

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Unless Sony buys Take2 as well… ?
I'm not going to say that won't happen, but I will say with Take Two being in the process of executing the purchase of Zynga for 12.7 billion (a mixture of cash and stock) will probably mean that at least right now its not something that would be feasible. I wonder how much debt Take Two will be incurring once it buys Zynga as they're assuming Zynga's debt and I'm sure getting a loan for the cash portion of the sale.

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 19, 2020
its a one game company

1 > 0

Lets see who gets take-two for GTA , that will be a big scalp to get , my money is on MS getting that one if a sale is done.

as I have said in other threads, Apple needs to buy Aspyr first, then these 1 or 2 game dev houses can be snapped up. But sitting there peddling their phone games, they are just painting themselves into a corner. Soon all of the "pro" users will have their Mx macs for their "work", and that huge other market will be sitting there unable to be touched by apple.

the reality of the situation is unless one uses xcode, final cut or logic, the iPad Pro is really all one needs. the fanbois are all grabbing their uber machines now to run Mac apps identical to iPad apps just a little faster, but apple is going to need something else to drive sales in the future. that would be games.

I am always talking notebooks in these discussions. not desktops.

Last edited:

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
1 > 0

as I have said in other threads, Apple needs to buy Aspyr first, then these 1 or 2 game dev houses can be snapped up. But sitting there peddling their phone games, they are just painting themselves into a corner. Soon all of the "pro" users will have their Mx macs for their "work", and that huge other market will be sitting there unable to be touched by apple.

the reality of the situation is unless one uses xcode, final cut or logic, the iPad Pro is really all one needs. the fanbois are all grabbing their uber machines now to run Mac apps identical to iPad apps just a little faster, but apple is going to need something else to drive sales in the future. that would be games.

I am always talking notebooks in these discussions. not desktops.
Embracer group bought Aspyr last year. Maybe you mean Feral Interactive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.