Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 19, 2020
Embracer group bought Aspyr last year. Maybe you mean Feral Interactive?

damn, I totally missed Aspyr being bought up already.. looks like it's going to be phone games forever on $3k notebooks.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
Embracer Group also bought Dark Horse comics and different media companies (like the german Koch Media Group) in the last 2-3 years.

I think Microsoft will at one point buy EA, Take 2 or Ubisoft...

Or they will just wait and see what Sony will buy and than after a few years, they (Microsoft) buys out the whole gaming and Playstation division from Sony. ? If the regulators will allow this, of course.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Embracer Group also bought Dark Horse comics and different media companies (like the german Koch Media Group) in the last 2-3 years.

I think Microsoft will at one point buy EA, Take 2 or Ubisoft...

Or they will just wait and see what Sony will buy and than after a few years, they (Microsoft) buys out the whole gaming and Playstation division from Sony. ? If the regulators will allow this, of course.
I think it is possible Embracer/Tencent will try to get EA/T2/Ubisoft before MS does.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
I think it is possible Embracer/Tencent will try to get EA/T2/Ubisoft before MS does.
Yes, that is possible. My simple opinion is, that at the end, only 2 or 3 big players will stay in this field.

The others will be indie publisher and/or developers.
At least until Valve's Steam and other online digital games stores (GOG, Humble Store, Epic Game Store etc.) exists, where the indies can sell their stuff.

Because I don't believe, that indies can live of GOD (games on demand) services like Apple Arcade, Xbox Gamepass etc. Some can, but most won't, there is simply not enough income.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I think Apple, instead of buying a gaming company would be more inclined to go for the 'man in the middle' approach which would be to find a company that would convert gaming code to macos then go to microsoft and sony asking if they can license some of their games. If it does not work, all Apple has lost is the cost of hring the 'man in the middle' coding company.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
EA/T2/Ubisoft before MS does.
MSFT already has a relationship with EA, in that subscibers can play EA games. I have Simcity on my drive as I'm comparing it against Cities. I also think that MSFT will be succesful in purchasing Blizzard/Activision, but if they make a run for EA after that purchase - they would fail. They may not get too much pushback regarding antitrust with the Blizzard purchase, but a EA purchase I don't think the government would allow that.

I think a more likely scenario would be tencent, since they've been trying to expand their non-China holdings and diversify

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
If only Apple had made for gaming what it has been trying to do with Apple TV+, why couldn't Apple buy out a slew of the best AAA studios in the world to develop exclusive for its ecosystem, as well as finance the port of cross-platform games for Metal...

tlab

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2017
I was hoping you miss-typed Myst :(
At least Myst is readily available. To get myth these days you either need to pirate it or find a second hand CD ROM with 24 years’ worth of scratches.

That said, when you do buy it the current fan made path makes it very playable, and it runs (as a super-universal binary) on PowerPC macs, intel macs and ARM macs. Amazing for a game developed to run in system 7. A small group of volunteers got it through the OS X transition, the Intel transition, the depreciation of Carbon APIs, the depreciation of 32 bit, the depreciation of OpenGL, and now the Apple Silicon. Oh and they did the same on the windows side, developed a Linux port, and ported Myth I faithfully to the myth II engine.

Long story short, it’s past due for a Steam release.

macgabe

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2012
Apple makes more from games than Microsoft, Sony, Blizzard and Nintendo combined. They're not going to buy a studio.

Reactions: JMacHack

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
Oh no, another company not making Mac games has been bought up by a company also not making Mac games, this is truly a danger to all of the Mac games not being made!

I’ve listed a solution in another thread, but there’s no incentive for Apple to do anything about Mac gaming.

• Haha
Reactions: opeter

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
At least Myst is readily available. To get myth these days you either need to pirate it or find a second hand CD ROM with 24 years’ worth of scratches.

That said, when you do buy it the current fan made path makes it very playable, and it runs (as a super-universal binary) on PowerPC macs, intel macs and ARM macs. Amazing for a game developed to run in system 7. A small group of volunteers got it through the OS X transition, the Intel transition, the depreciation of Carbon APIs, the depreciation of 32 bit, the depreciation of OpenGL, and now the Apple Silicon. Oh and they did the same on the windows side, developed a Linux port, and ported Myth I faithfully to the myth II engine.

You'd think the Myth games might have cropped up on GOG by now, but they seem to have been forgotten. This thread has prompted me to reinstall it - alas I no longer have a CD drive. Myabandonware.com to the rescue!

ONI was NOT rubbish! I've played it. It was AWESOME! I wish there were a sequel! Or maybe you're referring to versions other than the Windows version? The Playstation version may have been junk. But the game, itself, was definitely NOT!
I played it on PC and thought it was average at best. Button-mashing combat, big empty buildings to get lost in, and a generic fake anime art style.

Reactions: tlab

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
why couldn't Apple buy out a slew of the best AAA studios
Who?

With the the consolidation of the industry, there's less "best" AAA studios.
Apple isn't going to buy #1 through 6 for a variety of reasons. Number 8 isn't likely to be open for a sale, as they're currently trying to execute their own purchase of Zynga. Maybe #7, EA could be a tempting target.

2022-02-01_13-12-49.png

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
Who?

With the the consolidation of the industry, there's less "best" AAA studios.
Apple isn't going to buy #1 through 6 for a variety of reasons. Number 8 isn't likely to be open for a sale, as they're currently trying to execute their own purchase of Zynga. Maybe #7, EA could be a tempting target.

View attachment 1952712

Exactly, my impression is that this consolidation of the industry will leave out Apple of potential acquisitions, my point being it's too late now for that. But, just to have a fund to finance all cross-platform high profile releases to also come to Mac, at no extra cost to the studios, would go a long way IMHO.

I guess it's true that Apple never took high-end gaming seriously, despite having the most performant mobile chips graphic-wise (smartphone, tablets and now laptops, with the M1 Max beating top of the line gaming laptops, at a fraction of power consumption, and for less money).

It truly feels like a missed opportunity.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
You'd think the Myth games might have cropped up on GOG by now, but they seem to have been forgotten.
I did read somewhere (GOG forums or on Reddit, not sure), that with Myth, there are different licensing problems. That's why it is not available legally in any of the digital stores.

ahurst

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2021
I think Apple, instead of buying a gaming company would be more inclined to go for the 'man in the middle' approach which would be to find a company that would convert gaming code to macos then go to microsoft and sony asking if they can license some of their games. If it does not work, all Apple has lost is the cost of hring the 'man in the middle' coding company.
Either that or make a healthy investment in Feral Interactive or a similar company to help increase their capacity, leading to more quality ports of other games. Would help guarantee a steady flow of AAA games on the Mac without as much direct risk.

A partnership like that would probably be helpful for the Metal team too, since they’d have a direct line of feedback from the game devs about what API features are great and which ones are lacking.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
my point being it's too late now for that
I thought you were proposing that Apple now go out and buy a AAA studio, and yes, you're right its all but too late. That doesn't mean Apple can't improve its presence in AAA gaming, but it can't be done by buying a studio.

Making life harder is that #1 and #3 (Sony and MSFT) game publishers generally focus on exclusive content.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
If you thought it wasnt possible for Apple to be even more irrelevant in the gaming world, think again.

Another top dev gobbled up while apple peddles phone games...

I don’t know, now that it looks like nVidia is withdrawing its bid to acquire ARM, maybe it can provide Apple with an opportunity to make it clear that they are ARM.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
You'd think the Myth games might have cropped up on GOG by now, but they seem to have been forgotten. This thread has prompted me to reinstall it - alas I no longer have a CD drive. Myabandonware.com to the rescue!
One of my all time favorites. The battles could be just epic.

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
I really don’t get the doomerism here.

Gaming on Mac hasn’t changed in 20 years, it’s always been “acceptable” at best and ********* at worst. The consolidation of big studios who never made MacOS games in the first place isn’t going to change the fact that they still won’t make MacOS games.

(In my opinion, big studio games suck donkey dick anyway, indies are where it’s at.)

I’ve pointed out in another thread that Apple acquiring a studio to make big ass AAA games exclusive to Mac would just be throwing money onto a fire.

Honestly, if Apple wanted big games on the Mac, arguably the cheapest and best option would just be to offer help and pay (Microsoft is the best option imo) for ports.

But that wouldn’t change jack **** since the people who care the most about games won’t ever buy a Mac. It’d only placate the people in this thread.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012

and really cheap on humble bundle for the next 9 days. €8 for 12 games, 8 of which are on mac.

myst masterpiece edition,, real myst masterpiece edition (whats the difference between myst and real myst), riven, obduction, myst 3, myst 4, myst 5, (where did myst 2 go?) and a €10 off coupon meaning the newest version of myst, confusingly called myst, will cost you another €10.

Reactions: tlab
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.