Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Echinda

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2003
Not sure why people aren't reading Raggedjimmi's post. Sony announced today that rumors of a price drop are just that, rumors, and they have no current plans to drop the price.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
As far as I know, only Circuity City is dropping the price $100 probably only as a sale for the week. This does not mean a universal price cut on the PS3.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
As far as I know, only Circuity City is dropping the price $100 probably only as a sale for the week. This does not mean a universal price cut on the PS3.

According to this, no price drop:

http://www.news.com/

Sony has no plans to cut PS3 price

By Reuters
http://news.com.com/Sony+has+no+plans+to+cut+PS3+price/2100-1043_3-6195127.html

Story last modified Fri Jul 06 05:48:36 PDT 2007

Sony isn't planning to cut the price of its PlayStation 3 to pep up demand or counter surging sales of Nintendo rival Wii, Sony's president said Friday.
Sony President Ryoji Chubachi also said in an interview that operating profit margin at its mainstay electronics unit, which makes hot-selling Bravia LCD televisions and Cyber-shot digital cameras, is likely to exceed its 4 percent target for the current fiscal year that ends in March 2008.

"At present, we have no plans," Chubachi told Reuters when asked whether Sony had any plans to cut the PS3 price.

Sony has packed cutting-edge technology such as a Blu-ray high-definition optical disc player into the PS3, driving up production costs and making its retail price more than twice as expensive as the Wii.

The higher price tag and lack of attractive software titles have been cited as main reasons the PS3 has been trailing the Wii in sales, and analysts have been widely expecting Sony to soon slash the price to spur demand.

In a Reuters survey of four game analysts this week, three expect Sony to cut PS3 prices by $100 by the end of the year, while one analyst said a cut of $150 is more likely.

Now on News.com
Microsoft extends Xbox 360 warranty Google on 'Sicko' slam: 'We blew it' Boeing's Dreamliner becomes a reality Sprint breaks up with high-maintenance customers
The PS3, with a 60GB hard drive, carries a price tag of $599 in the United States, while the Wii sells for about $250.

"If you take a look at how PlayStation and PlayStation 2 have taken off, this is not such an unusual start," Chubachi said.

When the PS2 made its debut in 2000, Sony was initially criticized for lack of strong titles, and some software publishers said the machine was too complex to develop for.

Sony eventually overcame those difficulties and has sold more than 120 million PS2 units, making it the top-selling video game console ever.

In a sign of lack of confidence on the side of investors, however, Sony, which has sales eight times as big as Nintendo, was overtaken by the Kyoto-based company last week in market capitalization and bumped off the list of Japan's 10 most valuable companies.

Story Copyright © 2007 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.

Copyright ©1995-2007 CNET Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Bloody hell! I posted this before and myself and Echinda referenced it too! :rolleyes:

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
$399 is the sweet spot.

If they dropped it to $399, the 360 would have to drop $100 per sku without a doubt and Microsoft would probably have to do something drastic.

As it is...if they do drop the price, $499 80g Ps3 > $479 360 Elite, but I still say $399 360 Premium > all.

Ps3 needs some killer titles, they just don't have them yet. Not their fault though, the system is still in its infancy. Microsoft may have actually gotten lucky this time around; usually the 'early' (1st released) system falls by the wayside, but so far - it's proven to be quite good to them for releasing the 360 as the first 'next gen' system.

I'll probably get a Ps3 within 1-2 years...waiting for GoW3 which is a no-doubter "must own" for me. ;)

tim2006

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2006
Ps3

rumors are the PS3 is going to get a $100 price drop. PS3 has sold less than 100,000 in the U.S. the last fews months and has had alot of negative press. I wonder how much of that negative press was due to price. wil it sell at the new price?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Needs games too. We've been told to "wait for X game" so many times now. The system needs a killer exclusive game. One that isn't mired with cross-platform rumours.

But since Sony apparently doesn't "buy exclusivity" then *shrug*.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
The universal $100 price drop is a rumor. However, Circuit City and Target will have the PS3 on sale at $499. Circuit City will have it on sale on the 12th while Target will have it on sale on the 15th.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
$100/€100/£50 reduction is needed in all teritories.

But what is also needed is AAA 'exclusive' games. Also the PS3 needs to have multi-format games released at the same time as the 360.

This waiting weeks or months in some cases for the PS3 version to come out, after the 360 version is killing sales.

Added to the fact when they finally do get released in more cases than not they are not even as good ? So what are you actually waitng for ?

-

However we all hold onto the hope that Uncharterd, Ratchet & Clank, Warhawk, Lair and Heavenly Sword are released soon and are AAA titles...

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Price drop will be nice, but not key.

The PS3 is like cough medicine, the 600USD price tag makes it taste terrible, but if it cures your cough(has good games) then you'll swallow it(buy it), droping the price will make it taste better, but if it doesn't cure your cough(has no good AAA games), your not going to swallow the medicine(or buy a PS3)
:eek:

AAA games are what it needs, and hopefully will get.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
AAA games will come but just like the "other" console and the one before it that barely has/had good games themselves the titles will only get better.

The price drop would be nice but it will take a whole lot more to get a increase....for example fine tuning PSN, get the devs in gear with these sloppy 3rd party games and so on...It won't be long before the better games are released.

Bless

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
A better standard controller is needed too.

Opinions vary on this. I prefer the PS controller over any other I've used. I would be quite irritated if they went the Xbox's style which imo is garbage and not as easy to use as the PS controller, but to each their own i suppose :)

Ed

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Price drop is always a good thing. And if Sony has the brains to pay whatever it takes to keep MGS4 and FFXIII as exclusives (even though they don't do that... but Krazy Kenny is gone and he was responsible for the loss of GTAIV so there may be hope yet) and if Warhawk/Uncharted/Lair/Heavenly Sword/Killzone/Ratchet and Clank are all they are cracked up to be, then PS3 might just be okay.

It has still sold 3 1/2+ million consoles which is pretty good considering all the BS surrounding it, Sony **** ups and the fact it's double the price of the Wii (which also lacks games btw, people never talk about that)

Home, the new Eye Toy and user created kinda games like LBP might prove to be a big hit too.

^ I like both controllers. I like the layout of the xbox 360 controller but it feels too big and clunky (i know it's not that big but it feels that way). The PS3 controller is small and feather light... and the wireless is better since no direct sight needed.

tim2006

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2006
the price cut will put it in line with the elite. alot of the negative press deals with the lack of exclusives and the fact that many 3rd party games just look better on the xbox. the press has been so negative on the PS3. the idea of a blu ray player is nice but not a system seller for me. i always like a standalone dvd player never used the old ps2 as a dvd. $500-$700 for an dvd player is not worth it for me until the format war for me.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
The PS3 controller is small and feather light... and the wireless is better since no direct sight needed.

The 360 controller is not Infared, it doesn't need direct line of site to work. Microsoft has their own wireless frequency they use for the controllers and all the wireless accessories for the 360. The IR port is only for the DVD/Universal remote (which I'm shocked the PS3 doesn't have; How are we all suppose to use our Universal remotes we have?).

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I was wondering that too. People have walked between my wireless controller and 360 and it didn't cut off :confused: It's RF, which is arguably better than bluetooth. It's noticably so with mice.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
The 360 controller is not Infared, it doesn't need direct line of site to work. Microsoft has their own wireless frequency they use for the controllers and all the wireless accessories for the 360. The IR port is only for the DVD/Universal remote (which I'm shocked the PS3 doesn't have; How are we all suppose to use our Universal remotes we have?).

Indeed but MS is being stucked up with there frequency and will not let 3rd parties use it....which sucks. I'm not sure if the PS3 have a IR port but I guess they did that so that they can make some money of the remote.

As for the controllers.....I find them comfortable and I feel right at home with the 360 and PS3 controller...no complaints or adjusting needed.

Bless

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
A better standard controller is needed too.

I agree with Ed; I love the PS3 controller. It's light, wireless, comfortable, and easy to use (I admit some of those are subjective) what more could I want.

I've heard the rumors about the new rumble tech that Sony may put it the controllers and that sounds cool to me but old type rumble I find more annoying than helpful or realistic in any game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.