Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
If they stretched the the keys all the way to the sides of the computer I would consider, but that keyboard looks netbook-sized. Oh well...

That what I thought when I looked at the Vaio TT, but I find the keyboard to be much more comfortable than my iBook and dare I say a bit more comfortable than my MBP in some aspects.

fibrizo

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2009
I am excited to see this machine I can't afford lol. I do hope that apple takes a few keys from sony's design. I couldn't get myself to buy an air over a mbp, mainly for ports. (I use 2 USB ports way too much. and I do like the drive.

A better machine for the MBA to aspire to is the sony G (mentioned earlier) Take a look. It's certainly not as pretty but look what it packs.

http://www.dynamism.com/#Product=sonyvaio_g

1.89 lbs for a 12.1 inch (not 13 I know) with 6 hour battery life w/ removable battery

2.17 lbs for one with an integrated DVD drive w/ 6 hour removable battery

2.46 lbs for one with inegrated DVD and 12.5 hour battery removable.

What really gets me is...
1. PCMCIA type II slot
2. Rj45Lan port
3. V92 modem (Who the hell uses this still if they can afford a high end laptop?)
4. VGA port
5. Mic jack
6. Headphone jack.
7. SD card slot
8. Memory Stick slot ( again WTF lol)
9. ilink (firewire port)
10. 2x USB ports

Granted it's a little thicker at 1 inch instead of 0.76inches.

Maybe apple should take up carbon fiber? Stuff is supposedly one of the strongest materials we know of, ie they stopped using aluminum in jets and are now using carbon fiber. I can just imagine a dream MBA with a 12 hour battery, 2 usb ports, firewire, an SD card slot, Mini display port (with audio) or hdmi, 1 headphone jack, SD card slot, FJ45 Lan port, and a built in DVD drive... lol all still weighing 3 lbs.

Now that I think of it... just make the 13 inch macbook pro weigh 3 lbs lol. I love the aluminum and all, but if they can get carbon fiber and lose 1.5 lbs, I'd be all over it

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
That is what I have been saying. Just look at the Sony Vaio Z it weighs 3.3lbs vs the MBA 3.1lbs and it has the same specs(with stuff MBA does not off) as the MBA, while being thicker and having a removable battery. I think Apple should use a little CF on their machines.

Also, the Sony Vaio G, like TT, both use the lower power intel SU line of C2D which uses about 10w vs SL line in the MBA, which uses 17w, and the fact it has the lower range gpu the intel 4500hd, which fine for most things not gaming, or 3D(i.e. performance is worse than the 9400m, but it does use less power). Maybe Apple can do a switchable gpu thing, where you can use the intel 4500HD to use save battery life and 9400, when more power is needed. Also the Vaio G doesn't have web cam, which helps a bit to lower its weight.

BTW: check out the 12in Toshiba R600 weights just a bit more than the Sony Vaio G, but has a web cam is a bit thinner, and pretty sure its not made out of carbon fiber.

Gruber

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
That what I thought when I looked at the Vaio TT, but I find the keyboard to be much more comfortable than my iBook and dare I say a bit more comfortable than my MBP in some aspects.

The TT keyboard is excellent. However, the keyboard on the X does not have the same feel as on the TT; the keys are much more mushy.

Do not worry about the size, however. The keys are widely spaced, and normal size hands should feel comfortable.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
Latest news:

http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/10/05/sony.vaio.x.may.be.ready.in.november/

Sony's VAIO X ultralight could be ready next month and have a second notebook follow along if a rumor tonight proves true. The 1.5-pound notebook would ship in November, according to CrunchGear, and would be a direct replacement for the VAIO TT. A strategy of the sort implies it will use a low-voltage Core 2 Duo, which would support Sony's claims of extra-long battery life.

The system is already known to have built-in 3G, an 11.1-inch display and Windows 7.

Sony's other system is said to be its first touchscreen notebook but, unlike Dell's Latitude XT or HP's Pavilion tx series, won't be a tablet of any form. Hard specifications aren't available other than that Windows 7 is certain. At least some Windows 7 systems are known to be using multi-touch and may include Sony's model.

http://www.i4u.com/article27453.html

Sony is billing their X-Series as the "world's lightest notebook". At just 1.6 lbs, his new Vaio definitely qualifies as petite. All Sony has told us about this new notebook is that it is tiny, and that it packs an 11.1" screen. Thanks to leaks from Boy Genius, we may now know a little more of the story.

Apparently the X-Series will come with normal, and "super-extended" battery options. The normal battery will be good for 3.5 hours of life, while the extended battery is said to last up to 14 hours. The X-Series touchpad is said to feature multitouch functionality, which is also something worth getting excited about.

We don't know what processor this new carbon fiber Vaio will pack, but we do know that it will ship with an SSD of some size. The launch OS will be (what else?) Windows 7, and the price at launch is set at $1,499. Ouch.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
One thing that is becoming obvious as we see these Dell and HP 'Apple type' laptops come out is just how mythical the 'Apple Tax' always was.

Both companies are trying to equal the design and build quality of the MBA and MBP and failing to match Apple in specs or price.

The Adamo is significantly slower and more expensive then the Air it apes, the Envy 13 is more expensive then the MBP 13" and has an awful trackpad and terrible battery life.

It is nice to see other companies starting to realize that design and build quality are important, but Apple clearly has a huge head start in this area. I think it will be sometime before we see computers as well built and attractive as Apple's with equal specs at competitive prices from the likes of Dell and HP.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
the Envy 13 is more expensive then the MBP 13" and has an awful trackpad and terrible battery life.
The standard battery life may not be the best but with the battery slice you can get 10-12 hours depending on usage. So it does have that going for it. I am also hearing the trackpad issue could be fixed with a driver update. But, yeah its cost too much, and the Beats audio system only like work through headphones so you won't notice the better sq through the built in speakers.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
The standard battery life may not be the best but with the battery slice you can get 10-12 hours depending on usage. So it does have that going for it. I am also hearing the trackpad issue could be fixed with a driver update. But, yeah its cost too much, and the Beats audio system only like work through headphones so you won't notice the better sq through the built in speakers.

Going by the difference between the real, tested battery life and the claimed life I am not expecting much from the extra battery slice. Even if it doubles the standard life that still falls well short of the real world run time of the MBP 13".

If the trackpad issues are so simple that a quick software update could fix them, why did it ship in its current state? I am a bit skeptical that it is an easy fix.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
Going by the difference between the real, tested battery life and the claimed life I am not expecting much from the extra battery slice. Even if it doubles the standard life that still falls well short of the real world run time of the MBP 13".
LaptopMag got close to 10 and half hours out of the slice. http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/hp-envy-13.aspx?page=3
compgraph.php

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
Laptop mags results are substantially different from other reviews battery life numbers.

Regardless, I think a battery 'slice' that adds an extra 1.5 pounds and $100+ dollars is the last thing an already overpriced laptop that is already too big to really be called an ultra portable needs.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
I am a bit in different on the weight specially for battery life it gives, however I think I read a review somewhere that said the battery slice is included when you buy the machine, but that could have been misinformed. I would have to think the ATI 4330 gpu has some effect on battery life(30min to an hour depending o usage?) as it is a bit more power hungry vs the nvidia 9400(as the 4330 is a dedicated gpu).

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
The MacBook Air for $1799 with 2.13 C2D and 128 GB SSD is really a bargain compared to the other ultraportables on the market. I actually think the MBA is the best overall ultraportable when everything is factored in. I don't understand people wanting to lose so much power yet pay so much for a 1.2 GHz or 1.4 GHz CULV CPU. And the Atom 2 GHz isn't really as bad as the CULV but it's still no SL9600.

I am really looking forward to Arrandale. Upwards of 2.8/2.93 GHz (2-2.13 standard) with the turbo feature when it needs it. That's the successor to the Low Voltage SL9600. That will be great in the MacBook Air. As long as it's paired with an ATI GPU.

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland
They only say "2 GHz Intel® Processor", but the FSB is 533MHz, which clearly points towards Atom (Z550 to be precise - one core, 45nm, 0.5 MB cache), even if they avoid the name at all cost.

It's just a netbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.