Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
£1900. That's insane.

Someone would buy this over a Vaio TT because...
fixed.

But, yes the price is very insane. At least the Vaio P was price a bit more fairly, and at least you could fit that in your jacket pocket or large pants pocket. The Z is 13in and someone may want something a bit smaller for traveling, which brings up the 11in TT(in some locations it's discontinued, but you can still get one new), which at least uses CULV Core 2 Duo(was around before netbooks even came out). I find the TT suits my needs fine despite the lack of OSX. Really, wish I could dual boot OSX on this, but what can you do.

If Apple had another 12in Powerbook device(but lighter and a bit more compact), I would so be all over it.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 26, 2003
fixed.

The Z is 13in and someone may one something a bit smaller for traveling, which brings up the 11in TT(in some locations it's discontinued, but you can still get one new), which at least uses CULV Core 2 Duo(before this whole range of netbooks had it and used it since the old TX/TZ days). Would I like a LV cpu like the MBA has? Sure, but for some people, like me, the TT suits our needs better despite the lack of OSX. Really, wish I could dual boot OSX.

If Apple had another 12in Powerbook device(but lighter and a bit more compact), I would so be all over it.

I didn't put down the TT because I thought it was discontinued. But in terms of performance it is a better machine.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
I didn't put down the TT because I thought it was discontinued. But in terms of performance it is a better machine.

In the US(and I think Canada is discontinued), but in Asia, and even parts of the EU it just got updated to Win7 when it comes out and 8gb and 1.6ghz in parts of the EU that didn't already get that update.

gnr319

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2009
I used to love Sony Vaio laptops.

Design-wise, I have always considered Sony superior to Apple. Their machines are unfailingly sexy. I remember being astounded by the Vaio 505 laptop when it originally came out in (1999)? Even by today's standards it is better looking than 75% of what's out there.

Also, I always felt like Sony and Toshiba and other Japanese computer companies predated the whole netbook craze with the Vaio C1MW and the awesome Toshiba Libretto series. Perhaps their vision at that time outpaced the technology and so these ultrasmall machines never caught on..

RichardF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
New York City
I am looking at the Sony Vaio X as well.

But, I wouldn't make a decision NOT to buy it based on its price. I would because of the software crapola they put on their computers.

I also had a favorable opinion Vaio laptops...until I bought one (a few years back).

Apple understood it: no crapola and no stickers...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.