Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
Xperia PRO-I
(I stands for Imaging wtf)

SPECS:
166 x 72 x 8.9 mm (6.54 x 2.83 x 0.35 in)
221 g (7.80 oz)
SnapDragon 888
21:9 4K OLED 120Hz Display
Glass front (Gorilla Glass Victus), glass back (Gorilla Glass 6)
IP65/IP68 dust/water resistant

CAMERAS
12 MP, f/2.0-4.0, 24mm (wide), 1.0-type, 2.4µm, PDAF, OIS (315 PDAF points, 90% frame coverage)
12 MP, f/2.4, 50mm (telephoto), 1/2.9", PDAF, 2x optical zoom, OIS
12 MP, f/2.2, 124˚, 16mm (ultrawide), 1/2.55", Dual Pixel PDAF
0.3 MP, TOF 3D, (depth)

Dedicated photography post processing LSI hardware chip
Video recording formats: 4K@24/25/30/60/120fps HDR
Price: $1,800 est

Sample Video PRO-I capture from iPhonedo YT chhannel

Watch this video for in-depth feature glance

Last edited:

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota

Couple things for me. (well few)
  1. Kinda forgets there are pro camera apps available on the iPhone that let you do astro photography and bracketing. I use them, and the results on long exposure shots like he did are quite good. I bet if he tried them they would rival the Sony for capturing more detail in low light with long exposure
  2. I am not impressed with the video on that phone (so far). I actually preferred the iPhone selfie cam video on the bike over the rear camera on the Sony, and when he switched to the rear camera on the iPhone, it got even better!
  3. I can't wait to see what this phone can / will do with 3rd party camera applications, and some better optimizations figured out.

This guy is a great photographer, and does some awesome online tutorials and knows what he is talking about. As aways, us individuals will find things to gripe about!

Reactions: alex cochez

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010

Couple things for me. (well few)
  1. Kinda forgets there are pro camera apps available on the iPhone that let you do astro photography and bracketing. I use them, and the results on long exposure shots like he did are quite good. I bet if he tried them they would rival the Sony for capturing more detail in low light with long exposure
  2. I am not impressed with the video on that phone (so far). I actually preferred the iPhone selfie cam video on the bike over the rear camera on the Sony, and when he switched to the rear camera on the iPhone, it got even better!
  3. I can't wait to see what this phone can / will do with 3rd party camera applications, and some better optimizations figured out.

This guy is a great photographer, and does some awesome online tutorials and knows what he is talking about. As aways, us individuals will find things to gripe about!

Yeah he is a really good guy but he as well falls into a trend trap: low light. Neither of these two phones, short nor long exposure look good or useful in his low light scene. I wouldn't even post that on IG. Same thing with the house, iPhone is a fudgefest and who in the hell will stack images off a cellphone camera to get Sony result. He has stacked five images and of course it's going to look better because you just spent 10 minutes on one shot and that's not counting the trip back home where your computer's at. If Im gonna bracket Im using a freakin real camera with real lens anyway.

Cellphone cameras are bandaid for night photography, good to have but nothing to rave about. Best lowlight shots are in well lit downtown areas with lot's of light sources, that is the only scenario I can agree to. During daylight any phone will be good enough for regular Joe who can't tell that his kids faces are burning red because he is shooting with Samsung but he doesn't care. For us non-regular Joes iPhone 13 is the hands down best synthetic camera out there, and they finally picked up on proper skin tones (not on videos though) and night time to look like night time. On the other spectrum I like Sony because it's the best and probably the only organic/oldschool mobile camera out there with all of it's shortcomings. These two compliment each other very well and I don't consider them competition. Vivo 70 Pro+ has shown it can deliver great stuff but it needs tones of tweaking to get there, like three times more than Sony.

Reactions: 840quadra

Adarna

Suspended
Jan 1, 2015
I look forward to the 2023 iPhone Pro Max getting a 1" image sensor and super telephoto lens

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.