Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric Isaacson

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008
I'm downloading this now, it looks interesting. Not sure how much I'll play it but I bet my kids love it.

Thanks

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Tried downloading on my phone and got a shock..... 38 MB?

Allergic to your mommy?

P.S.: I use this - feed://appshopper.com/feed/?filter=price
Guess where I picked it up? MR Front page......

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Tried downloading on my phone and got a shock..... 38 MB?

Eh... Spore was 80MB. I'd rather have large, good games, than tiny ones of poor quality. So far the limiting factor has resoundingly been the inavailability of good games for me ....

Spore is the only one I've ever paid for, and I was pleased with it.
I was tempted by Toy Bot Diaries, but it's too buggy (and it took them way too long to fix the sound / 2.1 issue)
I downloaded and deleted a few small free ones, but Dactyl is the only one I found even vaguely entertaining.
And then Aurora Feint is the only other free game even that I have.

So I'd rather there be more high quality games, even if they take a significant amount of space, than there be a continuing deluge of garbage.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Eh... Spore was 80MB. I'd rather have large, good games, than tiny ones of poor quality. So far the limiting factor has resoundingly been the inavailability of good games for me ....

Spore is the only one I've ever paid for, and I was pleased with it.
I was tempted by Toy Bot Diaries, but it's too buggy (and it took them way too long to fix the sound / 2.1 issue)
I downloaded and deleted a few small free ones, but Dactyl is the only one I found even vaguely entertaining.
And then Aurora Feint is the only other free game even that I have.

So I'd rather there be more high quality games, even if they take a significant amount of space, than there be a continuing deluge of garbage.

I agree.... but then I didnt read the game to do much in the developer description now did I?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I agree.... but then I didnt read the game to do much in the developer description now did I?

Haha, you got me... basically there's a monkey and some trash. The graphics look pretty good, though. I'll voice my opinion on that topic when I see it in action. :D

EDIT:

So I did just download it. My initial impressions, playing up through Stage 1-6 (first boss).

- Cut screens are very nicely done, although they're in landscape orientation with the rest of the game in portrait only, which is jarring. They probably should just have made the whole game portrait

- The graphics during gameplay are pretty cute. The theme is well implemented and the animation is basic but fun. Some of the textovers are very reminiscent of GBA games... they could have done better with that.

- Sound and music are so-so. Nothing special.

- The game concept is fairly basic so far. They do keep adding things in which makes it interesting, but it's not super clear how much more sophisticated it'll get. The first boss battle is pretty silly... about the kind of thing boss battles are like in the Super Mario 2D franchise.

- Overall there are four "sectors" -- not sure how many sublevels each one has. You have appear to have access to all sectors and subsectors you've previously visited when you play the game again after the first time (so you can either pick up where you left off or replay an old level).

I think it's cute. It's no Aurora Feint or Spore, but it's cute. If I had a chance to preview it and then purchase it, I would target this game as possibly worth purchasing at the $0.99 or $1.99 price point, but not more than that.

App1€

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2008
Space Monkey FREE norm 9.99

Just dled it. Haven't tried it looks decent, but don't know yet. Might as well check it out now since its free.

App1€

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2008
Hmm... Not sure let me check mine again. US store?

Still says free on my iPhone, checking iTunes now

thecoard

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2008
Any ideas why it might not show up as free on iTunes or the Appstore for me?

efp1

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2008
UK
Free in the Spanish app store. :D

Just downloaded it! Thanks for your post :)

thecoard

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2008
:eek: Ever had one of those days?

I thought it said Super Monkey Ball and lost my reading skills over the excitement. Sorry guys :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.