Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frantisekj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
Deep inside Europe :-)
Hello,

Is anyone aware of any simple text editor that would be able show two files at once? I wanna that for fine tuning translations especially subtitles.

I was searching like crazy but nothing. It could be some simple code editor. Free is bonus.

Thanks a lot

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
SubEthaEdit might do that. I know you can load more than one document, but whether you can do Split View between both of them, I do not know. I know a single file can do a Split View.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
OP post in iOS 17-forum. Assuming you use an iPad many editors like Textastic or the free Koder (or e.g. Pages) allow for that in Splitview - you just do not run 2 different, but the same app in 2 instances side by side.

Frantisekj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
Deep inside Europe :-)
SubEthaEdit might do that. I know you can load more than one document, but whether you can do Split View between both of them, I do not know. I know a single file can do a Split View.

OP post in iOS 17-forum. Assuming you use an iPad many editors like Textastic or the free Koder (or e.g. Pages) allow for that in Splitview - you just do not run 2 different, but the same app in 2 instances side by side.

Emacs is free and can do multiple files, split horizontally and/or vertically.

Hey guys. Thanks all for tips. As I posted in iOS forum I also forgot mention I am looking for solution for iPhone where I do most of my translations and video subtitling. So Koder would look like only possible feature with tabbed files/editing but I can not figure out how to open files in tabs on iPhone. :oops:
I am not looking for app that supports iPadOS split view but one that can itself work with two files at once.

And bingo, I finally figured out what "quote" button is for or mainly how does it work 😃

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.