Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeanCorp

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
Yeah but try searching for an app listing based on one you installed yourself and it can work.
Really bizarre but in settings search has been quirky for me since iOS 12. System settings would show in iOS 12 when other would or they would be in a funny order and I think iOS 13 has compounded the problem.
I am still slowly prepping for a hard wipe but it’s a bit of a nightmare and I would prefer Apple got it sorted first.
How have you got on with your contact with Apple?

they are aware of the issue I’ve sent them all the video recordings, so far they’ve called me two days in a row to gather more information. They have provided me with an extended logging iOS profile which I’ve installed and they’ve captured the time stamp during each of the issues.

for me it isn’t only spotlight search or settings search. Mine also applies to SMS (Messages). I cannot even search for someone I’ve texted recently it will just show a blank screen once entering their name.

I’ve also reported the mail issue being slow to find emails and gave them the example of the word “Apple” it took almost 40 seconds to populate our most recent conversations.
[automerge]1576792543[/automerge]
Yeah but try searching for an app listing based on one you installed yourself and it can work.

Not working for me at all.

Reactions: JupoDupo

JupoDupo

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2017
Thanks for all the extra leg work.
Messages has been okay post 13.3 *so far* but I don’t have to search often but I will start pushing it. Mail search was completely broken for me but resetting my accounts seemed to help so far but I don’t use mail often over outlook.

One thing I have noticed post 13.3 my battery life is getting hit harder. Not sure if it’s spotlight or just something else going on.

EDIT: one thing I have noticed in messages search basically works but it always says more results will be shown when indexing finishes which implies it still hasn’t done. It’s better than before 13.3 as it does mostly work but I have not tested it in anger.

Last edited:

DeanCorp

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
Thanks for all the extra leg work.
Messages has been okay post 13.3 *so far* but I don’t have to search often but I will start pushing it. Mail search was completely broken for me but resetting my accounts seemed to help so far but I don’t use mail often over outlook.

One thing I have noticed post 13.3 my battery life is getting hit harder. Not sure if it’s spotlight or just something else going on.

EDIT: one thing I have noticed in messages search basically works but it always says more results will be shown when indexing finishes which implies it still hasn’t done. It’s better than before 13.3 as it does mostly work but I have not tested it in anger.

yes I’ve added this to the comments and they can see that. I also get this one.
They advised me not to delete my mail accounts as they want to get to the source of the problem.

Attachments

• 020473C6-E1C1-47FA-B902-90157648F648.png
    020473C6-E1C1-47FA-B902-90157648F648.png
    740.1 KB · Views: 130

DeanCorp

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
I have been informed Apple are aware of this issue and this will be resolved for us in a future iOS update. They have all the logs and data required to fix this frustrating bug.

JupoDupo

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2017
Here’s hoping it’s fixed in 13.3.1 beta 2 that just dropped. Not installing on my daily driver though but hoping.

DeanCorp

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
Just an update I’ve installed the public Beta 2 of 13.3.1 and please to report the issue has now been resolved. Hasn’t failed once :)

JupoDupo

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2017
Just an update I’ve installed the public Beta 2 of 13.3.1 and please to report the issue has now been resolved. Hasn’t failed once :)

How long have you been running it for?
Messages etc all working?
Don’t want to get my hopes up too high lol.

DeanCorp

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
E
How long have you been running it for?
Messages etc all working?
Don’t want to get my hopes up too high lol.

everything working, been using it non stop for 8 hours. Battery life is way better too, I think my theory about the background processes is correct which is why it was slow and draining battery fast.

JupoDupo

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2017
I am on the final 13.3.1 build and it seems a bit better so far but still fails. Trying to leave WiFi off and see if that helps right now.

Slevin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
New York
I wonder how long you are willing to put up with spotlight search not working before you do a clean reinstall?

Slevin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
New York
I just hope you aren’t trapped in the sunk cost fallacy logic pattern. I wonder how much time you’ve spent trying to fix it vs how much time it would take to do a clean install and sync your info from iCloud. The clean install hurts upfront but if you’ve got a few hours to spare rather than hoping it’ll be fixed with the next incremental update.

Also if it is due to a corrupted file can an point or a full update fix that?

I started this tread and a similar one in reddit looking for a solution without a reinstall. Couldn’t find it. So I went to the Apple store. They couldn’t fix it either. So I bit the bullet and did a reinstall. Haven’t had an issue since. Someone over on reddit had the same problem and they did a reinstall as well and haven’t had an issue.

But hey it’s your device do what you want

DeanCorp

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
I just hope you aren’t trapped in the sunk cost fallacy logic pattern. I wonder how much time you’ve spent trying to fix it vs how much time it would take to do a clean install and sync your info from iCloud. The clean install hurts upfront but if you’ve got a few hours to spare rather than hoping it’ll be fixed with the next incremental update.

I started this tread and a similar one in reddit looking for a solution without a reinstall. Couldn’t find it. So I went to the Apple store. They couldn’t fix it either. So I bit the bullet and did a reinstall. Haven’t had an issue since. Someone over on reddit had the same problem and they did a reinstall as well and haven’t had an issue.

the issue is, it is my primary iPhone I would really need another iPhone 11 Pro Max so I can set it up and leave it restoring from iCloud back up as I can’t really be without my phone for 24 hours. I have 88GB of content.. plus 320 apps purchased over 4 apple id’s (Canada, USA, Australia and UK app)

DeanCorp

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007

OK. I give up! Please can you outline the exact steps I need to do when I get my replacement phone so I can successfully resolve this issue.
Thanks in advance!

Slevin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
New York
OK. I give up! Please can you outline the exact steps I need to do when I get my replacement phone so I can successfully resolve this issue.
Thanks in advance!

Let me know if you have questions.

# How to restore
I have about 400 apps spread over more than a dozen folders and this process took me about 2 hours to download all my apps and put them back to where they were in the order they were originally at. To ensure this occurs in this manner you have to do things sequentially.

It should take you a few hours but once you do it you shouldn’t have any problems with spotlight search again unless your search file gets corrupted somehow. I had this problem starting just prior to the GM release of iOS 13 and it persisted for about 6 weeks until I got fed up and went to an apple store and they recommended just doing a clean install. Once I had exhausted all other avenues I came up with this method outlined below to get my iPhone to as close to it was previously and I would say it got there with 95-99% accuracy and spotlight search hasn’t failed on me since then and has worked as intended.

Good luck and ensure you have backups,

1. If you have synced music via Apple Music, Spotify, or podcasts then delete the files from your device and set them to streaming only. This way when iCloud syncs it won’t try to sync GB’s of data that you don’t need immediately. Same goes for photos, let everything live in the cloud.
2. Take screen shots of everything. Your home screen, your folders and every single page of each folder. So if you have a folder of games and it has 3 pages screen shot every page. This way you’ll have a method for recalling what apps you had downloaded and what their locations were.
3. Ensure anything that doesn’t have an cloud back up and isn’t synced with your iCloud account is saved somewhere. Because when you do this you are just syncing your iPhone with your iCloud account and not restoring to a backup.
4. Unpair your Apple Watch if you have one. This ensures your health data is the most up to date version as possible.
5. Back up to iCloud. This will be your final backup before you erase your device. Make sure everything is toggled in iCloud settings to back up what you want to iCloud such as messages, photos, etc.
6. ENSURE ALL DATA IS SAVED SOMEPLACE ELSE OTHER THAN YOUR PHONE either VIA iCloud or some other service, if not you will LOSE YOUR DATA
7. Once you have ensured your data is safe go into settings and hit the toggle erase all content and settings
8. Once your iPhone has finished erasing all content and settings set it up as new and sync it to your iCloud account. DO NOT restore from an iPhone backup that last backup was made to ensure if a mistake happens you have some recourse. If you restore from a back up you will encounter the same problem with spotlight search as you had previously.
9. Once you have synced your iPhone to your iCloud account now it’s time to re-install all your apps, I used this step to remove any apps I didn’t think I needed anymore. This is where those screen shots will come in handy
10. You can re-pair your Apple Watch at this point if you want to. It’ll take a while for the health data to sync as it only sync’s when connected to a charger and on WiFi.
11. If you have folders for different collections of apps (utilities, games, business, etc) I suggest you download and organize a single folder at a time. This way that folder is done and completed and you can move on to the next.
12. You’ll need to multi select apps on the home screen, if you don’t know how to do that watch this video ([How to move multiple apps at once on iPhone and iPad](https://www.idownloadblog.com/2017/07/03/how-to-move-multiple-home-screen-icons-iphone-ipad/). Knowing how to multi select apps and drop them into a single folder is key on how to do this quickly, if not then you’ll spend all day organizing apps.
13. Now referencing the screen shots you had previously taken, I recommend pulling them up on a second device such as an iPad, MacBook, etc so that you can glance at the images rather than bouncing back and fourth between the two
14. You can try searching the entire app store to look for your app or you can hit your account icon in the top left, select purchases and not on this iPhone. Doing it this way will allow you to only search though what you’ve purchased and that you haven’t previously downloaded to your iPhone.
15. Now referencing all the apps in your first folder (I keep referencing folders but that’s how I organize my home screen) I download everything from that folder before I go back to the home screen. Once I have found everything I want downloaded in that folder I go out to the home screen and use multi select to select all those apps that go inside that folder and drop them in. I then go inside that folder, organize the apps in the sequence I want them in and then I’m done with the first folder. I now move on to the next folder and so on until I’m done.
16. Finally I sign into only those accounts that are necessary at a baseline and sync them with my iPhone.
17. If you use Apple Music and want to download all your music from there you should follow these instructions. [How-To: Download all Apple Music on iPhone or iPad locally using iTunes - 9to5Mac](https://9to5mac.com/2016/10/03/how-to-download-all-apple-music-iphone-ipad-itunes/)

Reactions: DeanCorp

DeanCorp

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
Wow thank you so much for this! I think what I am going to do is ask Apple for an express replacement that way I can have my current iPhone + a brand new iPhone and begin setting it up like explained above. My only concern with the apps is I have multiple Apple ID’s for purchases that were not available in Australian Store but only available in Canada or United States/UK stores. I guess signing into each of those accounts and going to purchased > not on my iPhone and downloading the apps that I need would be best approach?

Slevin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
New York
Wow thank you so much for this! I think what I am going to do is ask Apple for an express replacement that way I can have my current iPhone + a brand new iPhone and begin setting it up like explained above. My only concern with the apps is I have multiple Apple ID’s for purchases that were not available in Australian Store but only available in Canada or United States/UK stores. I guess signing into each of those accounts and going to purchased > not on my iPhone and downloading the apps that I need would be best approach?

Having multiple ID’s would complicate things I guess following the above directions and starting with the AUS store and downloading everything that you can from that store following the directions I provided and noting which apps weren’t available and then going to the next U.K. store and repeating the process, ETC.

If you’ll have a second iPhone that makes the process a little easier. I would back up everything to iCloud and then switch the SIM card and turn on airplane mode and shut off WiFi/Bluetooth. Then set up the new iPhone. By killing off cellular and WiFi you’ll ensure that everything goes straight to your new iPhone and there won’t be a data mismatch with emails/text messages. Etc. as an added bonus you’ll have the old iPhone to reference when installing the apps and organizing.

Just note if you are on a beta version of iOS then you may need to install the newest beta on the new device as well

JupoDupo

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2017
Question, when you turn off icloud photos does it then procede to download all the photos locally to the phone before removing them from icloud?

JupoDupo

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2017
I believe so.
and I presume you dont lose any watch data doing those steps? you just restore the watch backup when its repaired?
I am trying to get a temp phone to transfer all my 2fa stuff across to before attempting this. I just want apple to fix it so it wont reoccur again.

Slevin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
New York
and I presume you dont lose any watch data doing those steps? you just restore the watch backup when its repaired?
I am trying to get a temp phone to transfer all my 2fa stuff across to before attempting this. I just want apple to fix it so it wont reoccur again.

As long as you have your Apple health data synced to iCloud (see picture) you won’t lose your health data. Just unpair your Apple Watch then do the final backup/sync to iCloud.

Once you finish the initial set up of the iPhone and sync with iCloud you can re-pair your Apple Watch with your phone. When you re-pair your Apple Watch with your iPhone you can restore the watch from a backup of the Apple Watch. Apple health data will sync while connected to WiFi and the watch is on a charger. It may take several hours for the data to sync but you won’t lose the Apple health data.

926942907638656905ea4f876064a4ce.jpg

apollomarv

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2014
I finally wiped and started fresh. No longer want to throw my phone at the floor each time search fails. For everyone else following this thread: take the hit and move on with your life ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.