Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nature Mermaid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2022
Hello,
I’ve had an iPhone XS Max for a few months and it is showing a few dark spots in portrait mode. These do not appear in video or in 3rd party camera apps. I’ve read that it could be dust and people have had the camera replaced or it could be a software issue. With the recent update I was hoping the issue would be resolved. Alas it is not. Can anyone explain why the spots would not be there on video or other apps and what I could do to remedy this? Thanks.
P.S. Going to an Apple Store is not an option.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Do the spots always appear at the same pixel coordinate? Independent of the iPhone/camera orientation?
Can you kindly post examples? Apple’s camera app in portrait mode with the effect versus a photo in portrait mode taken with e.g. Halide?

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Hello,
I’ve had an iPhone XS Max for a few months and it is showing a few dark spots in portrait mode. These do not appear in video or in 3rd party camera apps. I’ve read that it could be dust and people have had the camera replaced or it could be a software issue. With the recent update I was hoping the issue would be resolved. Alas it is not. Can anyone explain why the spots would not be there on video or other apps and what I could do to remedy this? Thanks.
P.S. Going to an Apple Store is not an option.

Have you looked at the glass on the lenses? in video it may be using one lens and on portrait the other. Is there maybe some dirt on or behind the glass?

Does the effect happen when you shoot a white wall or a blue sky?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.