Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I think Steve Jobs summed it up nicely when they decided not to include Flash. He said - we only have so much engineers and we can only tackle so much issues. Thus we focus on what will bring the biggest impact across all our products.

This , to me makes a lot of sence, Apple is about focus, and focusing on the future that is.
That was Steve Jobs. The current Apple is Tim Cook’s Apple, and it’s simply about product segmentation.

Although personally I don’t have issues with lesser iPads not getting stage manager, my issue is Apple’s inconsistent explanations on the reason. Apple made the claim that anything lower than the M1 cannot do stage manager because the performance is not within Apple’s satisfaction, and that stage manager requires faster SSD and swapping. Well, guess what, the base M1 iPad Air doesn’t get swapping capability, but it can still do stage manager. Lies begets lies. Apple should’ve simply said nothing if they cannot be honest about the why.

Note that Apple did this before when they announced side by side which is only available on the iPad Air 2. But they announced it more elegantly. Check their old 2015 WWDC keynote. They didn’t make up technical excuses. They just announced it right there and then, all iPads got slide over, and a powerful side by side feature for the most powerful iPad (iPad air 2 at that time). Simple, not stuck in technical mumbo jumbo of excuses, and nobody complained.

I really think Apple needs a new PR/marketing team. Maybe Schiller’s retiring is finally showing a negative impact.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I would love to see an iPad mini capable of Stage Manager - if only for external display usage - have a clamshell mode and when you are in that have an amazing big screen experience (it even has touchID so it could be in clamshell and still let you authenticate without you needing to have FaceID pointing at you!)

This would be killer as a portable computer that functions as pure iPad on the go and more computer when in the right setup!

Reactions: owidhh and mazzeri

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
That was Steve Jobs. The current Apple is Tim Cook’s Apple, and it’s simply about product segmentation.

Although personally I don’t have issues with lesser iPads not getting stage manager, my issue is Apple’s inconsistent explanations on the reason. Apple made the claim that anything lower than the M1 cannot do stage manager because the performance is not within Apple’s satisfaction, and that stage manager requires faster SSD and swapping. Well, guess what, the base M1 iPad Air doesn’t get swapping capability, but it can still do stage manager. Lies begets lies. Apple should’ve simply said nothing if they cannot be honest about the why.

Note that Apple did this before when they announced side by side which is only available on the iPad Air 2. But they announced it more elegantly. Check their old 2015 WWDC keynote. They didn’t make up technical excuses. They just announced it right there and then, all iPads got slide over, and a powerful side by side feature for the most powerful iPad (iPad air 2 at that time). Simple, not stuck in technical mumbo jumbo of excuses, and nobody complained.

I really think Apple needs a new PR/marketing team. Maybe Schiller’s retiring is finally showing a negative impact.
Its really quite simple. Only the M1 has the combination of features which allow for SM; the base Air not having one feature (enough SSD space) doesn't not mean it doesn't have the others. Even if Apple gave a 30 page technical reason for the A# not getting SM, people desperate for loopholes would not believe them.

Since you believe that Apple "should simply say nothing", what should they have done when asked this specific question by journalists in interviews? Apple isn't just saying stuff, they're answering questions in interviews.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Exactly. Wanting to multitask on the Mini is a terrible idea.

No it isn't. Just because you don't want it doesn't mean other people don't want it. There's already code referencing stage manager for the iPad mini that people ran in the simulator (which runs slower than a physical device mind you): Stage Manager on iPad mini. People didn't by these minis last fall to be locked out of important features in iPad OS. This is a bad move from Apple, period.

It's getting exhausting hearing people shut others down who are upset about this false limitation Apple imposed.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
...There's already code referencing stage manager for the iPad mini that people ran in the simulator (which runs slower than a physical device mind you): Stage Manager on iPad mini.
Honestly, so what. That line of code and those Mac screenshots aren't the evidence you think they are.

In web development the simulator is only around 80% accurate in showing issues; there are plenty of issues which only show up while running sites and applications natively.

The most useful part of SM on the Mini would be external display support; users say that SM already feels cramped on the 11" iPads so no one is going to happily display four windows on the Mini's small screen. The Mini's screen is more suited to two side-by-side apps.

Last edited:

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

They did the same thing with SM, during WWDC they said it was an M1 feature and left it at that. The difference is that Apple had to say why when they were asked by journalists why it was an M1 feature. FWIW Apple's reason for not porting split-screen backwards was that only the Air2 had a powerful enough processor...sound familiar?

Another big difference, and I checked, is that MR wasn't littered by people complaining about the iPadAir 1 they bought the year before, or the Mini that was currently being sold, not getting Split Screen multitasking.

So split screen is the perfect example of only the most powerful current iPad getting a core OS multi-tasking feature. Everyone had to wait until the Mini had a powerful enough processor before it got Split-screen...sound familiar?

Last edited:

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Honestly, so what. That line of code and those Mac screenshots aren't the evidence you think they are.

In web development the simulator is only around 80% accurate in showing issues; there are plenty of issues which only show up while running sites and applications natively.

The most useful part of SM on the Mini would be external display support; users say that SM already feels cramped on the 11" iPads so no one is going to happily display four windows on the Mini's small screen. The Mini's screen is more suited to two side-by-side apps.

I'm an iOS developer, I'm very aware of how the simulator works. You're not going to sway me into thinking this isn't possible on a device. It's amazing the mental gymnastics some of you are doing to justify not having what is arguably the best iPad OS 16 feature on a less than year old iPad.

Reactions: ian87w

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I think I am the contrary of an Apple apologist and I never hesitate to criticize Apple when they deserve to.
But I have zero problem believing that Stage Manager is not suitable for anything less than M1, regardless of swap. I think saying that Apple is lying is not understanding how mach RAM Stage Manager takes with 8 apps in the foreground. Could they have made it work with Swap on non-M1 128GB and above devices? Probably, but slower. Apple thinking it's not a great experience is... fair.

Where I do criticize them instead is having linked Stage Manager to external monitor support.
The could have made a version of Stage Manager that works only on the external display, maybe with just 2 apps instead of 4 for non-M1 iPads. Any USB C iPad with 4GB or 6GB of RAM could have run it no problem (keep split screen on the iPad, which works even with 2GB RAM iPads, and give external display with up to 2 apps).

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I'm an iOS developer, I'm very aware of how the simulator works. You're not going to sway me into thinking this isn't possible on a device. It's amazing the mental gymnastics some of you are doing to justify not having what is arguably the best iPad OS 16 feature on a less than year old iPad.
According to your post you had no problem with Apple doing the same thing with Split Screen on iOS9. Your issue seems to be that they didn't present the M1 requirement as well as they presented the iPadAir2 requirement.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Where I do criticize them instead is having linked Stage Manager to external monitor support.
The could have made a version of Stage Manager that works only on the external display, maybe with just 2 apps instead of 4 for non-M1 iPads. Any USB C iPad with 4GB or 6GB of RAM could have run it no problem (keep split screen on the iPad, which works even with 2GB RAM iPads, and give external display with up to 2 apps).
I mostly agree with you. I don't think they could have provided second screen support but they should have been able to improve the external screen support; like using a laptop in clamshell mode. I think iPadOS16 still has the same display limitations because the SM environment, not iOS, is the thing that fills the screen width. They could do things like Stretch the wallpaper to fit monitor width, but keep the Home Screen icon layouts centered so there isn't inconsistency between the two experiences. Have Split Screen, or full screen apps, fill the monitor width. Maybe there would be a limitation with ultra-wide monitors.

Last edited:

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
According to your post you had no problem with Apple doing the same thing with Split Screen on iOS9. Your issue seems to be that they didn't present the M1 requirement as well as they presented the iPadAir2 requirement.
Um what? No where did I talk about iOS9.

My issue is, as it always has been, the fact that a less than year old device can't take advantage of the latest OS feature. A brand new iPad mini should absolutely have stage manager.

I don't get why you and a few others can't handle that some of us have legitimate gripes about this and badger us at every turn for complaining about it.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I mostly agree with you. I don't think they could have provided second screen support but they should have been able to improve the external screen support; like using a laptop in clamshell mode. I think iPadOS16 still has the same display limitations because the SM environment, not iOS, is the thing that fills the screen width. They could do things like Stretch the wallpaper to fit monitor width, but keep the Home Screen icon layouts centered so there isn't inconsistency between the two experiences. Have Split Screen, or full screen apps, fill the monitor width. Maybe there would be a limitation with ultra-wide monitors.
I DO think they could have provided extended display support, and I don't think that just "filling the screen" adds much value. I have a 3:2 28in display and there are almost no black borders and still the experience is terrible, it looks just like a blown up giant iPad. And centering the icons wouldn't change much. And it's still just mirroring, so if you want for instance have a video on the monitor and take note on the tablet you can't, or remote desktop from the monitor and still use the tablet, not possible, etc. I think even ONE single app on the monitor, in addition to regular iPadOS on the tablet, would have been much better than nothing and still better than mirroring. But any 4GB RAM could have run 2 in split screen on the monitor without issues (again given that even 2GB devices can run regular iPadOS 16)
PS Why they didn't? We can only guess, it can go from "why bother", to "well this will push sales of M1" (I personally don't believe much in this), to (and I do believe this is indeed one important reason) "we want our 5k and 6k monitor to be supported" (and only M1 can support them, A12X/Z cannot, not even the A12Z Developer Kit with 16GB RAM could)

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I am curious, how would you splinscreen on a large 27“ external display? this doesnt make much sence in my mind, and I would rather have windowed environment on an external screen, and splintscreen on ipad *as windows on ipad also dont work, since the screen realestate is too small

I do it all the time on Windows (Aero Snap?), usually Excel or web browser windows. One of the Windows features I wish MacOS would have.

Reactions: Digitalguy

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I don't think anyone is buying the iPad mini to multitask. I'm selling my pro because I don't use it enough but understand the want for that on non M1 pros. But honestly my mini is like a big iPhone/fancy e-reader.
Agreed! Best portable iDevice ever!

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don't think anyone is buying the iPad mini to multitask. I'm selling my pro because I don't use it enough but understand the want for that on non M1 pros. But honestly my mini is like a big iPhone/fancy e-reader.
Maybe not having four windows displayed together on its small screen, but it is the perfect iPad for someone who plugged it into a screen for work, and enjoys its portability otherwise. The Mini is akin to the 11" MacBook Air, 12" MacBook, and all of Apple's previous small Powerbooks.

Reactions: thv and sparksd

yellowbunny

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
My mini has almost completely replaced my laptop. When I go to work (university lecturer) I use my Apple Pencil writing emails while on the train and when I arrive I plug it into a large external monitor with mouse and keyboard. If they didn’t want to give us stage manager then could have at least improved the external display support… full screen at least, but having it not mirror would have been even better.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
The more I use Stage Manager, the more I think it would work BEST on the iPad mini...hear me out:
1) Stage manager, in its current state, actually works best without a keyboard, using fingers. So much clicking and dragging is actually easier using a finger. And holding the mini and using it with touch is much more tolerable (IMO) than with the bigger iPads.
2) iPad mini has such a small screen, that side-by-side apps are tiny. Stage manager is best at bringing that one app you're using forward and keeping other apps quickly accessible in the background.
3) The dock and side windows take up a lot of room, but even if you have them turned on, Stage Manager automatically turns them off when you drag a window onto the screen (dock auto hides) or expand more than one window too far. So really who cares if they are off to save screen room? Granted, this behavior might be a "bug" that gets changed in the future, but in SM's current state, the need for side elements shouldn't be a reason to withhold the feature from the small-screened mini.

Hopefully an M1 Mini will arrive so we can take advantage of SM on the smaller screen.

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
>>>>>>Hopefully an M1 Mini will arrive so we can take advantage of SM on the smaller screen.

I could go for an M1 Mini with SM!

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
>>>>>>Hopefully an M1 Mini will arrive so we can take advantage of SM on the smaller screen.

I could go for an M1 Mini with SM!
Agreed. I would quickly sell my mini6 at a loss to get a mini 7 Mx with SM support. Here’s hoping it’s “one more thing” at the event in October.

Reactions: mpetrides
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.