Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Has anyone experienced some discoloration in the iPhone X in the Stainless still band? It seem like a oil stain but it won't go away.

Sorry for the picture quality, the best I can do with my Surface Pro 4

Attachments

• WIN_20180724_19_51_52_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180724_19_51_52_Pro.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7,353
Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Has anyone experienced some discoloration in the iPhone X in the Stainless still band? It seem like a oil stain but it won't go away.

To me, that doesn’t look normal and seems somewhat concerning. Especially being the near the lightning port like that, it almost looks like it’s rust or some type of corrosion on the bottom of the stainless steel. Or, if some type of heat was transferred on the bottom of the phone while charging and it got warm, and discolored the stainless finish.

Last edited:

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Yes I thought it looks like heat as well. I use the Belkin Boost Up Pad that was announced with the iPhone 8 and X and the Apple 12W USB adapter, with an original Apple cable.

Most of the time I used wireless charging, while I only use the USB adapter when I need to leave and I'm low on battery.

Reactions: Wide opeN

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
Yes I thought it looks like heat as well. I use the Belkin Boost Up Pad that was announced with the iPhone 8 and X and the Apple 12W USB adapter, with an original Apple cable.

Most of the time I used wireless charging, while I only use the USB adapter when I need to leave and I'm low on battery.
Go to apple store and say the iPhone got very warm during charging and this happened. Apple store hates fire and will give you a replacement phone.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Unfortunately I don’t have any Apple Stores in my country, just authorized service providers. I will go to one this weekend and see what response I get.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Go to apple store and say the iPhone got very warm during charging and this happened. Apple store hates fire and will give you a replacement phone.

Is that what really happened? Or are you telling OP to say something that may not necessarily be a fact?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Sometimes something like this can be stated more as a question than a statement, and the end results can be the same.

Point is, I think the OP is the one that makes the differentiation of what really happened versus somebody telling them or insinuating what may *not* have happened due to the discoloration.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Looks like burn-in from a lot of heat. You may need a new cable. I hate using Apple cables because they tear up so easily, but you don’t want to use just any cable either. Plus there’s wireless charging now. Hopefully there’s no internal damage.

As an aside, it also looks like you have some serious corner cracks or scratches from the lines extending around the speaker holes. Hopefully not contributing to the issue.

digitalsnip3r

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2015

It almost looks like an electrical burn mark to me. I would return to the Apple Store in my opinion.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It’s worth noting, someone else had something similar happen to their iPhone when they had a power outage, and then they found the bottom of the lightning port had a bunch of discoloration from the heat during the outage that was caused from the electrical port. I’m not insinuating that’s what happened here, but could be a possibility.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Looks like burn-in from a lot of heat. You may need a new cable. I hate using Apple cables because they tear up so easily, but you don’t want to use just any cable either. Plus there’s wireless charging now. Hopefully there’s no internal damage.

As an aside, it also looks like you have some serious corner cracks or scratches from the lines extending around the speaker holes. Hopefully not contributing to the issue.

That is just a reflection..... No scratch there. But agree it looks like a lot of heat.

The cable is in mint condition and barely use it, most times I use wireless charging. Never have found the phone to feel hotter than any previous one and the battery health still says 100%, despite it being purchased in early December.

NIGHTMARE^

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
Well I don't have worst bad for Apple to write it, honestly. I also purchased new iPhone 7 Red when it was launched and after week chipping started and I gifted the phone to my wife. And i try every channel but these stupid have there policy.

Now Apple don't care about his image.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
A new pic with better lightning. Under most lighting conditions is barely noticeable, but this represents more accurately how it looks most of the time.

Attachments

• WIN_20180725_13_48_37_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180725_13_48_37_Pro.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2,616

Cordorb

macrumors regular
May 8, 2010
Stainless steel is known for its corrosion resistance in many environments in which carbon and low alloy tool steels would corrode. The corrosion resistance is a result of a very thin (about 5 nanometers) oxide layer on the steel’s surface.

Note the word resistance - and the location of the color change.

Fingers and chemical on the outside of plastic charger cords

there are ways to clean and get the oxide layer back but I would not want to do that close to speaker and the charger
port.

as to heat and color
The table below represents the temper colours that are likely to form on stainless steel type 1.4301 (AISI 304) if heated in air.

Colour Formed Approx Temperature C
pale yellow 290
straw yellow 340
dark yellow 370
brown 390
purple brown 420
dark purple 450
blue 540
dark blue 600

and 232 C is when paper starts to burn

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Well I called Apple in my country, they urged me to stop using it after seeing the pics and made me an appointment this evening with an authorized service provider in my are so they can have it checked, we'll see what they say.

chonghao

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2019
Yes I have the exact problem of this kind of "burn mark" after few month on my iPhone XS MAX, Apple been replace my iPhone twice and its the same, and I notice that many users that faced this kind of problems have Apple case on it. Hmmm

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1c6d.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1c6d.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 2,867
Reactions: ThomasJL

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yes I have the exact problem of this kind of "burn mark" after few month on my iPhone XS MAX, Apple been replace my iPhone twice and its the same, and I notice that many users that faced this kind of problems have Apple case on it. Hmmm

Looking at your picture, something either came into contact with the bottom of the iPhone grill area or it’s heat that’s being produced from your charger, which is discoloring the metal like that. That’s *exactly* what stainless looks like when it’s under a higher temperature, it starts to form a rainbow-like color. Are you using an Apple certified OEM charger? This isn’t anomaly, there’s something happening to cause that type of reaction on the bottom of the iPhone like that.

Last edited:

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
No way I would put up with that if in "fact" it is from normal use.

This it's another reason I don't like the oxidized versions of the iPhone. Too many instances of foolishness like this.

IPhone Xs Max Silver FTW!!!

Reactions: ThomasJL
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.