Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Really weird why whenever someone says they had polished space gray/gold iPhone Xs, and I ask them if the coating has came off, they go silence. I've asked several people and nobody has said a thing.

I just want to know if the coating is thin enough for you to be able to take it off with one wipe or the first few times wont harm the coating.

It’s like others don’t want you to know their secret. :D But you ask a great question, and does it strip the PVD coating off with one swipe or is it after multiple usage with a Cape Cod cloth that would remove the coating? (We do know the cloth is abrasive) And if it does remove the coating, what is the {before and after} picture look like? If those questions could be answered by someone that actually has photos _and_ knowledge of this, I would be highly entertained.

Last edited:
Reactions: alpi123

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
It’s like others don’t want you to know their secret. :D But you ask a great question, and does it strip the PVD coating off with one swipe or is it after multiple usage with a Cape Cod cloth that would remove the coating? (We do know the cloth is abrasive) And if it does remove the coating, what is the {before and after} picture look like? If those questions could be answered by someone that actually has photos _and_ knowledge of this, I would be highly entertained.
If someone has a spare iPhone X/s or Stainless Steel AW they could possibly try it out and tell us lol, I wish I had one.

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008

You can fix it only if your phone is silver. not when its any other color other than that as it has a coating on top of it.

Another point to mention here is that I have tried this on my silver iPhone xs max silver and the scratches were gone back to new condition. I used a buffing machine. HOWEVER, the speaker in the bottom stopped working probably due to the buffing scratch remover liquid heading inside. I had to get the device swapped.

heit0r

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2019
I went silent because, as I said early, signed up to this Forum just to thank @Radu_k for his feedback (I'm not a frequent user yet), which helped me a lot.
But, since you asked. Yeah, I sure did polished the Space Gray of my iPhone XS and the coating didn't came off. It's as shiny as new, got no reasons to lie. I was really worried about this "discoloration" to happen.
[automerge]1568899229[/automerge]
Really weird why whenever someone says they had polished space gray/gold iPhone Xs, and I ask them if the coating has came off, they go silence. I've asked several people and nobody has said a thing.

I just want to know if the coating is thin enough for you to be able to take it off with one wipe or the first few times wont harm the coating.
I went silent because, as I said early, signed up to this Forum just to thank @Radu_k for his feedback (I'm not a frequent user yet), which helped me a lot.
But, since you asked. Yeah, I sure did polished the Space Gray of my iPhone XS and the coating didn't came off. It's as shiny as new, got no reasons to lie. I was really worried about this "discoloration" to happen.

heit0r

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2019
There's not "secret" when the "secret" has a name. If you're afraid to try, I was not. Polished my Space Gray iPhone XS and it's fine since then. Can't believe? There's nothing I can do.

Ditman

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2020
Hello! I just registered to this forum just to thank Radu_k for his help. It was hard but i managed to get my hands on this Silvo Tarnish Guard and got a little bit of it and started rubbing it to the discolored area on my iPhone 11 Pro. I couldn't believe it but it worked! I just wanted to let you you know, it works and i have pictures to prove it. You can see the discoloration right beaide the antenna line and under the microphone holes. Again, thank you Radu_k!

Attachments

• 792923B9-D2DD-4394-A032-9AA10913E1FD.jpeg
    792923B9-D2DD-4394-A032-9AA10913E1FD.jpeg
    292.7 KB · Views: 377
  • 962D893B-04C2-4571-BC10-73D654A57F41.jpeg
    962D893B-04C2-4571-BC10-73D654A57F41.jpeg
    289 KB · Views: 375
  • EE59AFE1-DC6C-4F9F-A4AE-09A41F6DE51E.jpeg
    EE59AFE1-DC6C-4F9F-A4AE-09A41F6DE51E.jpeg
    280.5 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:
Reactions: alpi123 and Simacca

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Bring it into an Apple Store most likely they’ll swap it out
I’ve heard of this however nobody knows what it comes from

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Bring it into an Apple Store

Maybe you’re uninformed, there are no Apple stores currently available, and won’t be for the foreseeable future. I guarantee discoloration of the stainless is not really a priority in terms of something Apple would address at this point.

Reactions: Ditman

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Hello! I just registered to this forum just to thank Radu_k for his help. It was hard but i managed to get my hands on this Silvo Tarnish Guard and got a little bit of it and started rubbing it to the discolored area on my iPhone 11 Pro. I couldn't believe it but it worked! I just wanted to let you you know, it works and i have pictures to prove it. You can see the discoloration right beaide the antenna line and under the microphone holes. Again, thank you Radu_k!
What color is your device? Doesn't look like Silver to me, based on the glass back. Also, did it remove any scratches?

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Hello! My iPhone 11 Pro is space grey. I didn't noticed any scratches.
Interesting. For the longest, everyone was saying the Space Grey shouldn't be polished because you'd remove the colour coating, but yours looks more than fine. None of that happened to you, right?

Ditman

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2020
Interesting. For the longest, everyone was saying the Space Grey shouldn't be polished because you'd remove the colour coating, but yours looks more than fine. None of that happened to you, right?
By using the product by Silvo, the coating remained fine. It's not scratched and it looks like new. Do you have a similar problem with your iPhone?

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
By using the product by Silvo, the coating remained fine. It's not scratched and it looks like new. Do you have a similar problem with your iPhone?
I currently don't because I'm always with a skin but I was curious if I should try the same product for small scratches and see if it does anything (if I start using my phone without a skin)

Reactions: Ditman

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Last question - did you actually try to clean/wipe down the phone before using the Silvo? I get a similar discolouration on my phone when I use wet wipes to clean it for example but it goes away if I wipe it clean with a towel. So just to be sure the Silvo did actually help and it was a permanent discolouration.

Ditman

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2020
Last question - did you actually try to clean/wipe down the phone before using the Silvo? I get a similar discolouration on my phone when I use wet wipes to clean it for example but it goes away if I wipe it clean with a towel. So just to be sure the Silvo did actually help and it was a permanent discolouration.
Yes, it was a permanent discoloration. I tried to clean it with wet wipes and normal towels but is didn't work. I searched the net for the issue, found this post and tried the product by Silvo and it worked.

SumYoungGai

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
Thought I’d add my 2c. Tried the silvo tarnish guard on a couple of spots on my 11PM without success. It didn't cause any permanent discoloration after I wiped it off but it didn't help either.

Reactions: Tofupunch

Kerry91

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2020
Hello all

From a health perspective, does anyone know if this discoloration might harm our skin health ?

I have looked for this topic on different websites. And while A LOT of people complain about how unaesthetic their iPhone became because of the discoloration; no one seems to worry about the eventual of impact of coating on our skin…

I mean, if the coating is leaving because of oil skin, this industrial paint isn’t vanishing in the air. There must be a part of it that goes on OR through our skin. And as we know some chemicals used for paint can provoke skin cancer. So...

Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.