Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cableguy84

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 7, 2015
Got excited about standby mode until I realised you need an AOD to prevent the screen from constantly turning off.
Anyone agree it makes it pointless without always on display?

Sukach

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2011
YES. I use an app (OLEDX) as my nightstand clock already and was greatly looking forward to this feature. I have my phone on my Anker Qi charger and I leave the app open all night. I upgraded to iOS17 and Standby was one of the first features I played around with while sitting at my desk at work. I noticed that the screen kept turning off despite being plugged in via Lightning cable. Which led me to Googling which led to the realization that this feature is ONLY useful on the 14 Pro/Pro Max phones (and soon to be 15). Seems like they made such a big deal of a feature that so few would be able to take advantage of. Guess that's typical, now that I think of it (Dynamic Island comes to mind). But still, this seems like an unnecessary limitation given that it requires the phone to be plugged in already.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Kind of pointless, yeah. iPhone 11 Pro Max.

OTOH, when my device is plugged in with the screen on I have a clock app going all night. Bedside clock, so I'm not even using Standby mode.

Now if I could get it to work WITHOUT being plugged in that'd be great. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work that way.

Reactions: sparky672

black_knight

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2021
But still, this seems like an unnecessary limitation given that it requires the phone to be plugged in already.
The phone needs to be charging if the screen is rendering an image continuously (all night, for example). You’d have people complaining that their battery was 75% drained overnight if the power supply wasn’t a requirement. Apple is much smarter than 99.9% of the population.

They know what should be done.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
Completely pointless feature for iPhone 13 and below.

Screen shuts off after 20 seconds, unless you have a iPhone 14 or newer with "Always On Display".

The phone needs to be charging if the screen is rendering an image continuously... You’d have people complaining that their battery was 75% drained overnight if the power supply wasn’t a requirement.

He knows that. AOD is the "requirement" he's talking about, not the power supply. He's saying that, since it's charging already, why would you need an iPhone model with "Always On Display" as the requirement to keep the screen from going black?

In other words, the phone is on the charger the whole time, so why must the screen still go black after 20 seconds when using Standby Mode? Why was this feature given to iPhone 13 and below without AOD if the screen is just going to shut off anyway? Seems pointless unless somebody can explain why it's not pointless.

Last edited:

xhjema

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2016
The phone needs to be charging if the screen is rendering an image continuously (all night, for example). You’d have people complaining that their battery was 75% drained overnight if the power supply wasn’t a requirement. Apple is much smarter than 99.9% of the population.

They know what should be done.
I think you misunderstood - the display turns off even if the power is connected.
Turning off the display while power supply is connected is what is meaningless. I think 99 percent agree on that. Even Apple. But they want to trick people into buying new phones.

Reactions: Wizec and eyoungren

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
I mean they did say specially for iPhone 14 pro with AOD.

StandBy Displays Glanceable Information While iPhone Is Charging

iOS 17 introduces StandBy, giving users a full-screen experience with glanceable information designed to be viewed from a distance when iPhone is on its side and charging. StandBy is perfect on a nightstand, kitchen counter, or desk, and can be personalized to display a range of beautiful clock styles, favorite photos, or widgets, including Smart Stacks, which surface the right widgets at the right time. With support for Live Activities, Siri, incoming calls, and larger notifications, StandBy makes iPhone even more useful when viewed at a distance. When charging with MagSafe, StandBy remembers a user’s preferred view. It is easy to bring up StandBy anytime by tapping the screen, and on iPhone 14 Pro with the Always-On display, it is always available.

Last sentence says it. With AOD it’s always available.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
I have a 14 pro.

Then maybe you can clear this up...

I have a 13 pro and the screen turns off after 20 seconds in Standby Mode. This is the same for your 14 Pro with Always-On Display enabled? If this is same behavior with AOD enabled, then what advantage do you have with Standby Mode on a 14 that I don't have on a 13? Or maybe you don't have AOD enabled?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Then maybe you can clear this up...

I have a 13 pro and the screen turns off after 20 seconds in Standby Mode. This is the same for your 14 Pro with Always-On Display enabled? If this is same behavior with AOD enabled, then what advantage do you have with Standby Mode on a 14 that I don't have on a 13? Or maybe you don't have AOD enabled?
I have AOD enabled. As to why Apple didn't offer this to the 13 Pro, I don't know. Maybe someone else can offer a reason outside of Apple being Apple.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
I have AOD enabled.

According to every article I have read, if you have an iPhone with AOD, then Standby Mode is supposed to stay on, not go blank or turn off after 20 seconds. I don't know why else AOD would be mentioned specifically when discussing Standby Mode.

"Continuous StandBy mode requires an ‌iPhone‌ with an Always-on display, and this feature is only available on iPhone 14 Pro or later Pro devices."

Now I am really curious why your 14 Pro with AOD enabled would not be staying on, when everything is saying it should be.

As to why Apple didn't offer this to the 13 Pro...

Hardware limitations, AFAIK. But from what you are describing, your 14 Pro in Standby Mode is behaving exactly like Standby Mode on my 13 Pro.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
According to every article I have read, if you have an iPhone with AOD, then Standby Mode is supposed to stay on, not go blank or turn off after 20 seconds. I don't know why else AOD would be mentioned specifically when discussing Standby Mode.

Now I am really curious why your 14 Pro with AOD enabled would not be staying on, when everything is saying it should be.

Hardware limitations, AFAIK. But from what you are describing, your 14 Pro in Standby Mode is behaving exactly like Standby Mode on my 13 Pro.
I tested again with the Belkin 2in1 as well as with the standard Apple wired and both did as I stated.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
I tested again with the Belkin 2in1 as well as with the standard Apple wired and both did as I stated.

I believe you. It's just very curious that your 14 with AOD is acting exactly the same as my 13 without AOD.

All the articles are stating that an iPhone with AOD will have a "Continuous" Standby Mode, while an iPhone without AOD will shut off after 20 seconds.

Hence this thread... what's the point of Standby Mode when the display won't stay on? The Tom's Guide article I posted above really nailed it.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
I believe you. It's just very curious that your 14 with AOD is acting exactly the same as my 13 without AOD.

All the articles are stating that an iPhone with AOD will have a "Continuous" Standby Mode, while an iPhone without AOD will shut off after 20 seconds.

Hence this thread... what's the point of Standby Mode when the display won't stay on? The Tom's Guide article I posted above really nailed it.
I made sure low power mode is off and I definitely a 14 Pro that has AOD all the time except on standby mode.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Can somebody please ELI5 me why it is needed? Usually when i go to sleep i know what time is it and don’t wake up until my alarm goes on. If it goes on, then i already know it is 7am - freaking time to go to work.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012

20. Turn ON “Motion to Wake”​

On iPhone 14 Pro and 14 Pro Max, StandBy mode turns off the display if it figures out that you are not looking at the screen. Integrated with the Night Mode, StandBy comes with a feature called “Motion to Wake” which automatically turns on the display at night when it detects motion.

• To bring this additional feature into play, go to the Settings app -> StandBy -> Night Mode -> turn on the toggle for Motion to Wake. From now onwards, StandBy mode will turn on the display when motion is detected at night.

This is exactly what I have experienced and stated on the forum. It’s working as it should.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Standby Mode doesn't mean the screen is always on at night. It comes on for about 30 seconds and then turns off unless the phone screen detects movement. If it does, then it comes back on for another 30 seconds. Rinse and repeat process.
Mine stays on all night. 14 Pro Max

Reactions: sparky672

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Can somebody please ELI5 me why it is needed? Usually when i go to sleep i know what time is it and don’t wake up until my alarm goes on. If it goes on, then i already know it is 7am - freaking time to go to work.
For the same reason people have clocks (real) on their nightstand and clock apps on their devices. To tell the time.

You don't ever wake up at night or have never been woken up?

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
For the same reason people have clocks (real) on their nightstand and clock apps on their devices. To tell the time.

You don't ever wake up at night or have never been woken up?
I just use my gshocks by turning into my face when that happens 3 times in a year.:D

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I just use my gshocks by turning into my face when that happens 3 times in a year.:D
Just easier for me to glance to the right. :D

IMG_0109.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.