Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Then maybe you can clear this up...

I have a 13 pro and the screen turns off after 20 seconds in Standby Mode. This is the same for your 14 Pro with Always-On Display enabled? If this is same behavior with AOD enabled, then what advantage do you have with Standby Mode on a 14 that I don't have on a 13? Or maybe you don't have AOD enabled?
I figured out why my phone kept turning off after 30 seconds. It was because of sleep focus. Turned it off just now (as a test) and the screen stayed on.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
No. It goes black after a certain amount of time and will turn on again when it detects motion. This is on a 14 Pro Max.

No. You have something set up wrong.

From Apple...

With the Always On display (on iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPhone 15 Pro, and iPhone 15 Pro Max), StandBy stays on to show useful information. For all other iPhone models, it’s easy to bring up StandBy anytime by tapping the screen, gently nudging the table your iPhone is on, or using Siri.

https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/use-standby-iph878d77632/ios

Last edited:
Reactions: Wizec

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
Always On enabled
Standby enabled
Night Mode on

Standby screen goes black after about 30 seconds. Pops back up when motion detected.

I am not going to debate this... something is not right on your end. The feature is well documented by Apple and explained elsewhere including other commenters in this thread...

I figured out why my phone kept turning off after 30 seconds. It was because of sleep focus. Turned it off just now (as a test) and the screen stayed on.

mikegoldnj

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2005
I am not going to debate this... something is not right on your end. The feature is well documented by Apple and explained elsewhere including other commenters in this thread...

There’s no debate. It’s not operating as it should. I have no Focus options enabled and the settings are as described.

Reactions: sparky672

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
You all.....

This is not Focus based, it's a setting. In Settings under Standby, there is an option to have your screen only come on when it detects motion at night. Just turn that off and the AOD will stay on.

mikegoldnj

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2005
You all.....

This is not Focus based, it's a setting. In Settings under Standby, there is an option to have your screen only come on when it detects motion at night. Just turn that off and the AOD will stay on.

It seems to be the Night Mode. I only use standby at night. In addition to changing the display to the dim red in low ambient light, it also blanks the screen after about 30 seconds but wakes the display with any motion detection.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I tried that and it didn’t work. Turning off sleep focus solved my problem.
Yeah, you're right. I felt sure I was smarter than you all for knowing that and then went to bed and realized that it's because of sleep focus.

And in that case, I want those functions separated! I like the night mode look, but I want it to stay on independently of my Watch face!

Reactions: Apple_Robert

cableguy84

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 7, 2015

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
Read previous post by other people about said bug.

I don't have to because I am part of previous posts/discussion. Since it's working exactly how it's documented by Apple, there is no bug.

We're all mostly just complaining about how it was designed and implemented. Stays on when you have AOD, but shuts off when you don't have AOD... which seems weird since it's on a charger in both cases. And pointless for non-AOD phones, because it's supposed to be like a nightstand clock which would never go blank.

Reactions: cableguy84

mikegoldnj

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2005
I don't have to because I am part of previous posts/discussion. Since it's working exactly how it's documented by Apple, there is no bug.

We're all mostly just complaining about how it was designed and implemented. Stays on when you have AOD, but shuts off when you don't have AOD... which seems weird since it's on a charger in both cases. And pointless for non-AOD phones, because it's supposed to be like a nightstand clock which would never go blank.

Except that it doesn’t stay on with AOD for everyone, which is documented in threads other than this one and on other sites. Same operation on both my 14 PM and the 15 PM.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
Except that it doesn’t stay on with AOD for everyone, which is documented in threads other than this one and on other sites. Same operation on both my 14 PM and the 15 PM.

Which is why I asked you to specify what bug you're talking about, since the title & topic of the thread is about how the feature is pointless for iPhone 13 and below.

xhjema

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2016
It seems Apple didn’t let usability guide the Standby mode.
It is more like some ”clever” engineer over-complicated a simple function by adding motion detection and and more, combined with marketing department having too much influence.
I will continue to use Emerald Time app in night mode. See screen shot.
I keep it on all night WITHOUT power cable (you really shouldn’t charge any device while sleeping due to the fire risk)

Attachments

• IMG_0954.png
    IMG_0954.png
    61.6 KB · Views: 39

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
According to the MacRumors article last week, 17.1 was supposed to resolve this issue. Keep the screen on when in Standby Mode, not shut off after 20 seconds. I updated my 13 Pro to 17.1 and Standby Mode is just as pointless as it was before... (no new option to keep it on)

EDIT: The stupidity never ceases...

https://appleinsider.com/articles/23/10/25/hands-on-with-all-the-new-features-in-ios-171

"Available for any iPhone with an always-on display — i.e., the iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPhone 15 Pro, or iPhone 15 Pro Max — you can now choose between automatically turning off, turning off after 20 seconds, or never turning off."

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.