Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
Well, the comm badges worn by the crew has a built in universal translator (a sort of Babel Fish).

Speaking of universal translators this clip by the DJO pre-dates anything by BAD LIPREADING and puts words in the character's mouths. Some NSFW language...

This literally had me gasping for air I was laughing so hard, especially how they portray Geordi, Worf, and the aliens on the view screen. LMAO just absurd hilarity. "why don't we fax apple juice to each other.."

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Well, the comm badges worn by the crew has a built in universal translator (a sort of Babel Fish).

That way everyone appears to speaks English (and to make it easier for the audience to understand:D). It ain't perfect, since it doesn't translate any alien curse words (gotta keep the PG rating).;) ST:TNG (season 6, episode 20), The Chase, explains why most of the aliens in the Star Trek universe are humanoid.

I thought that was the case (or the ship somehow automatically took care of things), but there have been episodes in which newly encountered humanoids speak perfect English and then struggle with a certain word or concept—as though they're a non-native English speaker forgetting a word instead of a person who is unaware that they're being translated and speaking a different language.

Intersting. It'll be a while before I get to that particular episode.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I thought that was the case (or the ship somehow automatically took care of things), but there have been episodes in which newly encountered humanoids speak perfect English and then struggle with a certain word or concept—as though they're a non-native English speaker forgetting a word instead of a person who is unaware that they're being translated and speaking a different language.

Intersting. It'll be a while before I get to that particular episode.
Well, in general, it's assumed that the universal translator is there and functioning, but sometimes for the sake of a plot point that's ignored (or it's handled as "oh well it doesn't work for this language" etc.). For the sake of storytelling, language issues are typically either simply ignored or handled in somewhat inconsistent ways from episode to episode. If you can suspend your disbelief for all the other wacky stuff that goes on, you can probably allow it for this. Although, I do appreciate that a lack of internal consistency can sometimes grate on the nerves. On the whole though, I'd say that the story lines are generally so good that such things can be easily ignored.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Well, in general, it's assumed that the universal translator is there and functioning, but sometimes for the sake of a plot point that's ignored (or it's handled as "oh well it doesn't work for this language" etc.). For the sake of storytelling, language issues are typically either simply ignored or handled in somewhat inconsistent ways from episode to episode. If you can suspend your disbelief for all the other wacky stuff that goes on, you can probably allow it for this. Although, I do appreciate that a lack of internal consistency can sometimes grate on the nerves. On the whole though, I'd say that the story lines are generally so good that such things can be easily ignored.
Darmok and Gilgamesh at Community Discussion.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008

So, basically:

If I can handle the inconsistent holodeck (some characters actually drink/eat what materializes in there and then leave), I can take the plot-aware translator. Come to think of it, me favorite episode so far centered around the holodeck. In "Elementary, Dear Data" we see the singularity unfold as the result of the incredibly powerful Enterprise computer being tasked with creating an adversary capable of defeating Data… and it starts out as a holographic Moriarty! So cool.

st-tng-02x03-elementary-dear-data-moriarty.jpg

For your pleasure. Enjoy!

BL.
It's always fun to see adult Will Wheaton after watching the episode with adult Wesley.

kz2Ri.jpg

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Hey, i don't need to watch this... they got old. :p Jonathan Frakes is one year older than me. :)

jonathan-frakes.jpg
Jonathan_Frakes_2005.jpg

...and this pic is 12 years old.

Here's the funny thing.. and my 7 and 5 year old are starting to catch on as well.

When watching episodes of Reading Rainbow, anything pre-TNG years, LeVar had a short afro and moustache. They think of him as "good 'ol Levar". even post-TNG, when he went with a shorter haircut, he was still "good 'ol Levar" (they still haven't put voice to face yet, and realized that LeVar voiced Kwame on Captain Planet, or more importantly, Doc Greene on Transformers: Rescue Bots)...

.. But anytime we see LeVar with that flat top.. we only see Geordi LaForge! We just can't get that flat top and VISOR look out of our heads! :p

Anyway, I digress, more for your humorous pleasure!

Keep it up, and I'll throw the Voyager panel up here! :D

BL.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Here's the funny thing.. and my 7 and 5 year old are starting to catch on as well.

When watching episodes of Reading Rainbow, anything pre-TNG years, LeVar had a short afro and moustache. They think of him as "good 'ol Levar". even post-TNG, when he went with a shorter haircut, he was still "good 'ol Levar" (they still haven't put voice to face yet, and realized that LeVar voiced Kwame on Captain Planet, or more importantly, Doc Greene on Transformers: Rescue Bots)...

.. But anytime we see LeVar with that flat top.. we only see Geordi LaForge! We just can't get that flat top and VISOR look out of our heads! :p

Anyway, I digress, more for your humorous pleasure!

Keep it up, and I'll throw the Voyager panel up here! :D

BL.

NO.........!!!! :p... ;) Really I don't mind, just a shot at my weak brand of humor. :) As someone who has never been famous, I speculate it can be tough to have your moment in the Hollywood Sun just to recede back into the shadows, especially for children who grow up participating in a big hit.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Gates McFadden seems to be hanging in there. :)

Brings up an interesting question... I don't know if Kate Mulgrew gained the weight for her role in OITNB, because she looked great for her age shortly prior to that show starting.. Here she is in the ST:VOY panel, with Garrett Wang giving her crap for her voice! :p

That being said, Sirtis, Susie Plakson, Terry Farrell, and Nicole De Boer are have aged very well. ;)

BL.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Brings up an interesting question... I don't know if Kate Mulgrew gained the wait for her role in OITNB, because she looked great for her age shortly prior to that show starting.. Here she is in the ST:VOY panel, with Garrett Wang giving her crap for her voice! :p

That being said, Sirtis, Susie Plakson, Terry Farrell, and Nicole De Boer are have aged very well. ;)

BL.

f47bc2a65d8567fe01044a758b24f55e.jpg
[doublepost=1492002026][/doublepost]
Yarp. ST:TNG is the series I would introduce to a neophyte. Even to a die-hard, red-shirted Trekkie like me find Voyager and Enterprise not worth re-watching except for a few choice episodes. Voyager has way, WAY too much techno-babble.:mad::mad::mad: Voyager and her crew seems to level 90 dual class Mage/Monk compared to everyone else's level 3 Burglar.:rolleyes: Even the might Borg become their whipping boy.o_O It took Picard a Sovereign class and entire fleet to take out a single Borg cube (First Contact), yet by the end of Voyager, a single Intrepid class (a less powerful than a Galaxy-class, laughable compared to a Sovereign-class) took out an entire Borg complex with little more than a photon torpedo and a mean sneer.:confused:

latest

That way everyone appears to speaks English (and to make it easier for the audience to understand:D). It ain't perfect, since it doesn't translate any alien curse words (gotta keep the PG rating).;) ST:TNG (season 6, episode 20), The Chase, explains why most of the aliens in the Star Trek universe are humanoid.

Good episode. I want the HD version of the series at a reasonable price!! :)
Found it, finally. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Good episode. I want the HD version of the series at a reasonable price!! :)
Found it, finally. :)

A good episode of ST:VOY in my opinion is the episode where they brought in Troi and Barclay, and Barclay follows his instincts, locates, and communicates with Voyager.

It was said that Sirtis didn't want anything to do with the series and actually refused the role she had on that episode. But when she found out that she would be working with Dwight Schultz again, she immediately jumped on it, as they are close friends and she loves to work with him.

BL.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Brings up an interesting question... I don't know if Kate Mulgrew gained the weight for her role in OITNB, because she looked great for her age shortly prior to that show starting.. Here she is in the ST:VOY panel, with Garrett Wang giving her crap for her voice! :p

BL.
I remember first seeing Nicole DeBoer in the 1997 "Cube," a Canadian sci-fi horror film. She plays a mathematician with Harry Potter/Daria/Ghandi/John Lennon/Steve Jobs glasses that takes a few seconds figuring out whether or not the numbers 645 and 372 are prime… not exactly the strongest scene in the film.

Other than that, the set design is really cool. The Cube feels more like another character than a setting.

Reactions: obeygiant

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
A good episode of ST:VOY in my opinion is the episode where they brought in Troi and Barclay, and Barclay follows his instincts, locates, and communicates with Voyager.

It was said that Sirtis didn't want anything to do with the series and actually refused the role she had on that episode. But when she found out that she would be working with Dwight Schultz again, she immediately jumped on it, as they are close friends and she loves to work with him.

Dwight Schultz is an amazing actor who can make others around him better. I've seen Mr. T act outside of The A-Team. Not pretty. Watch Rocky III.:oops: But the interaction between Sgt. B.A. (Bad (_!_) or Bad Attitude) Baracus and Capt. H. M. "Howling Mad" Murdoch is comedic gold.:D

Robert Picardo, The Doctor, also makes the other actors better as well. Some episodes of Voyager was only bearable because of the good Doctor.

Last edited:

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
Other than that, the set design is really cool. The Cube feels more like another character than a setting.

I agree the Cube was a pretty good movie. Almost like a Posiedon Adventure scenario.

I've had this playing in the background at work today... :)

Can anyone recite the Prefix Code.. without looking?!

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I agree the Cube was a pretty good movie. Almost like a Posiedon Adventure scenario.

I saw this as an 8 year old, and Spock's death scene and funeral for some reason scared the hell out of me. It may have been because of the eeriness of Scotty's bagpipes that did it.

Regardless, that movie had me imagining that I was shooting a photon torpedo and blowing up every Plymouth Reliant my mother passed when we were driving somewhere. :p

BL.

Number-Six

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2013

A few years ago I could have, but memory isn't what it used to be :(

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Dwight Schultz is an amazing actor who can make others around him better. I've seen Mr. T act outside of The A-Team. Not pretty. Watch Rocky III.:oops: But the interaction between Sgt. B.A. (Bad (_!_) or Bad Attitude) Baracus and Capt. H. M. "Howling Mad" Murdoch is comedic gold.:D

Richard Picardo, The Doctor, also makes the other actors better as well. Some episodes of Voyager was only bearable because of the good Doctor.
Robert Picardo ;)

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Can someone answer me this: What was the chronological time difference between the episode The Trouble with Tribbles and The Search for Spock, Final Frontier, and Undiscovered Country?

It really should be relatively short between Tribbles and Search for Spock, yes?

BL.

Number-Six

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2013
Can someone answer me this: What was the chronological time difference between the episode The Trouble with Tribbles and The Search for Spock, Final Frontier, and Undiscovered Country?

It really should be relatively short between Tribbles and Search for Spock, yes?

BL.
I believe there is 25 years between tribbles and Undiscovered country. I do not remember the years that Search for Spock and Final Frontier are

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I believe there is 25 years between tribbles and Undiscovered country. I do not remember the years that Search for Spock and Final Frontier are

Thanks.

I was going to post a WTF moment in the series that had no answer, but realized that it was answered.

In ST: Enterprise, the Klingons had the cranial ridges.

In ST:TOS, the Klingons in The Trouble with Tribbles did not have the cranial ridges.

In ST: DS9, in Trials and Tribble-ations, the DS9 crew ended up back in time on the Enterprise in the same episode of Trouble with Tribbles, and they all ended up looking at Worf in askance about the ridges, which he states that it was a long story that the Klingons don't explain to outsiders.

Turns out that it was explained in the ST:ENT show, Afflicted. But even that happened before Trouble with Tribbles.

So the question now, is if the time between Trouble with Tribbles and Search for Spock is that short, The Klingons in Search for Spock had the cranial ridges.. so looking at the timeline, for 110 years (beginning of ST:ENT to the beginning of ST:TOS), they had ridges, but from ST:TOS to Search for Spock, they lost them and gained them back. What happened from a 110 year period for an injection of a few Klingons to cause the entire race to lose the ridges and gain them back?

The logical answer (yes, I know what I did there ;) ) is advancement of make-up in Hollywood, but that's a severe gap, considering the timeline of the Star Trek universe.

Side note: I may have to watch that episode (I originally couldn't get past the pilot), as the Klingon in that episide (K'Vagh) is one James Avery - Uncle Phil from The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, while Ensign Rivers is one Seth MacFarlane, of Family Guy fame.

BL.

Last edited:

Number-Six

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2013
Thanks.

I was going to post a WTF moment in the series that had no answer, but realized that it was answered.

In ST: Enterprise, the Klingons had the cranial ridges.

In ST:TOS, the Klingons in The Trouble with Tribbles did not have the cranial ridges.

In ST:DS9, in Trials and Tribble-ations, the DS9 crew ended up back in time on the Enterprise in the same episode of Trouble with Tribbles, and they all ended up looking at Worf in askance about the ridges, which he states that it was a long story that the Klingons don't explain to outsiders.

Turns out that it was explained in the ST:ENT show, Afflicted. But even that happened before Trouble with Tribbles.

So the question now, is if the time between Trouble with Tribbles and Search for Spock is that short, The Klingons in Search for Spock had the cranial ridges.. so looking at the timeline, for 110 years (beginning of ST:ENT to the beginning of ST:TOS), they had ridges, but from ST:TOS to Search for Spock, they lost them and gained them back. What happened from a 110 year period for an injection of a few Klingons to cause the entire race to lose the ridges and gain them back?

The logical answer (yes, I know what I did there ;) ) is advancement of make-up in Hollywood, but that's a severe gap, considering the timeline of the Star Trek universe.

Side note: I may have to watch that episode (I originally couldn't get past the pilot), as the Klingon in that episide (K'Vagh) is one James Avery - Uncle Phil from The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, while Ensign Rivers is one Seth MacFarlane, of Family Guy fame.

BL.
I really wanted to like ST:ENT because I had been disappointed with ST:VOY, but in the end only the 4th season was ok. However, trying to explain the Klingon ridges in those episodes was a mistake in my opinion, or at least not handled correctly.

Reactions: Mousse

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I really wanted to like ST:ENT because I had been disappointed with ST:VOY, but in the end only the 4th season was ok. However, trying to explain the Klingon ridges in those episodes was a mistake in my opinion, or at least not handled correctly.

I never warmed to Star Trek Enterprise, and so never lasted until the fourth season; of course, this meant that I missed the explanation for the Klingon cranial ridges.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.