Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
BBC had an original series marathon airing over the holiday, which i had on in the background and caught a few episodes.

"Gamesters of Triskelion" where is with this woman who looks like lady Gaga.

tutoring.jpg

Captain Kirk was a handsome guy. Life (aging) is cruel, but an accepted part of the deal. o_O

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Captain Kirk was a handsome guy.

Yes, but I always preferred - even as a child - Mr Spock.

Life (aging) is cruel, but an accepted part of the deal. o_O

Hm.

What deal?

Never got the hang of being young, myself; I'm one of those who were born middle aged, and feel a lot better now than I did when I was "young".

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Hm.

What deal?

Never got the hang of being young, myself; I'm one of those who were born middle aged, and feel a lot better now than I did when I was "young".

Since you are the second one to comment on this the deal is you live, get old, and die, and not said as something you agreed to, it's the deal with living a mortal life. :p

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing

Spock > Kirk.

Mirror universe Spock > regular Spock.
Mirror-Spock.jpg

Since you are the second one to comment on this the deal is you live, get old, and die, and not said as something you agreed to, it's the deal with living a mortal life. :p

You can always create a computer with all your knowledge and personality like Landru.:cool:

Once again, Kirk's cavalier disregard for the Prime Directive destroys another culture:eek: because it doesn't jive with his Federation sensibilities.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Spock > Kirk.

Mirror-Spock.jpg

You can always create a computer with all your knowledge and personality like Landru.:cool:

Once again, Kirk's cavalier disregard for the Prime Directive destroys another culture:eek: because it doesn't jive with his Federation sensibilities.:rolleyes:

I never quite bought that in STNG Schizoid Man. Is he you, or just acting like you? :D

tng2-06.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Spock > Kirk.

Mirror-Spock.jpg

But, "mirror universe" Mr Spock was still a man of considerable intelligence and integrity; that is what made the episode so interesting.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
But, "mirror universe" Mr Spock was still a man of considerable intelligence and integrity; that is what made the episode so interesting.

Great episode:

In that last clip Kirk says "In every revolution, there's one man with a vision." at 1:27

Which was sampled in The Information Society's "Over the sea"
at 22:11

I.S. also sampled Spock's "Pure Energy" for their hit song "What's on your mind?"

But my favorite part of the episode is at the end where real Spock describes the crew's counterparts when they were over on the normal enterprise.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Great episode:

In that last clip Kirk says "In every revolution, there's one man with a vision." at 1:27

Which was sampled in The Information Society's "Over the sea"
at 22:11

I.S. also sampled Spock's "Pure Energy" for their hit song "What's on your mind?"

But my favorite part of the episode is at the end where real Spock describes the crew's counterparts when they were over on the normal enterprise.

Terrific episode, agreed, but Mr Spock carried it.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I have several paperbacks of TOS fan fiction from the 70s. They include a collection of original short stories, one of which is a clever variation on Mirror, Mirror. In it, the actors (Shatner, Nimoy, et al) are in the transporter on set and materialize on the real Enterprise. It's been awhile since I've read it, but I recall one part where Nimoy peers into his bridge scanner but has no idea what he's looking at.

Reactions: obeygiant

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
A great scene from arguably the best Star Trek film ever The Wrath of Khan.

"He Tasks Me!"

Lots of quotes from classic literature in Wrath of Khan. This one is from Moby Dick. The way Richardo Montalbon delivered the famous quote, I could feel him channeling Captain Ahab.:cool: I love his delivery of "I'll chase him round perdition's flames before I give him up.":):):) As from, you guessed, it Moby Dick. Kirk said the first and last quote from A Tales of Two Cities. There are probably more, but I haven't watch Wrath of Khan in nearly 2 decade and my memory ain't so great.:oops:

Thanks to Netflix I've recently been watching Next Generation, mostly for the first time because it originally aired while I was at university and didn't have a TV. In the main it's very good, especially after Ronald D. Moore came onboard.

However, there's one thing I have to wonder. I genuinely can't see why Riker is so lauded by everyone. He's extremely petulant, best seen in those episodes with his father and that copy of himself. He also has a real problem with authority, which I can't see as a positive in a military officer. And on a more personal level he REALLY fancies himself. Now I get that characters are supposed to have traits in order to give them depth, but in his case the traits don't add up to someone that would be held up as an example in the way he always is by the other characters. If I knew someone like that IRL I'm not sure I would even like them, let alone see them as a great example of how people should behave. It just seems inconsistent.

Foggydog

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2014
Left Coast
When my now ex wife and I got married, we couldn't afford a honeymoon, but there was a Star Trek convention in town. So for the heck of it, she put on her wedding dress, and I my white tux, and attended the convention. Michael Dorn was guest and signing autographs. He looked at us and said: Surely you two have something better to do. It was enjoyable for sure.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
However, there's one thing I have to wonder. I genuinely can't see why Riker is so lauded by everyone. He's extremely petulant, best seen in those episodes with his father and that copy of himself. He also has a real problem with authority, which I can't see as a positive in a military officer. And on a more personal level he REALLY fancies himself. Now I get that characters are supposed to have traits in order to give them depth, but in his case the traits don't add up to someone that would be held up as an example in the way he always is by the other characters. If I knew someone like that IRL I'm not sure I would even like them, let alone see them as a great example of how people should behave. It just seems inconsistent.

I get what you mean about Riker. I always just chalked it up to the acting maybe.

Riker, though, wasn't nearly as much of a jerk as Captian Edward Jellico in "Chain of Command"..

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I get what you mean about Riker. I always just chalked it up to the acting maybe.

Riker, though, wasn't nearly as much of a jerk as Captian Edward Jellico in "Chain of Command"..

A fantastic two part episode: Loved it.

I think Riker's character was envisaged as a role that paid homage - ever so slightly - to the original Captain Kirk - a somewhat flamboyant, cocky, good-looking guy - maybe even handsome - who had charisma (and thus, could lead others) and a high opinion of himself - especially given that the cerebral character of the Captain, Jean-Luc Picard was in such stark contrast to what Kirk had been.

Remember, STNG was the first spin-off series - initially, nobody was sure that the format would work away with characters other than those who manned the bridge (and the engine room and sick bay) in the original series.

Thus, as Picard was very different to Kirk - and this difference was what came to define STNG - Riker was envisaged as a sort of "Kirk" like character, to bring some of the elements of that character to the show, but as a No 2, not the captain of the ship.

Having broken away from the constraints and stereotypes of the original series with STNG, the franchise was free to explore their imaginary space world to a much greater extent subsequently.

Last edited:

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I never went to a Trek convention but if I am honest I would have to say I must be a Trekkie having seen each series and all the movies. Perhaps the only thing I have not watched is that pay to watch CBS stuff (is it even out yet?).

Many of us have lots of fond memories and some moments...but I'll just add to those that referenced the parallel universe from the original series and say I liked how future ST series paid tribute to the original whether it was DS9 and the Tribbles to a nicely crafted Enterprise gone dark dark dark (including the opening sequence and song).

As this is my first post about S.T. here, I'll just remind folks that the S.T. movie reboot had months ago lost Anton Yelchin (played Chekov) due to a freak accident. RIP. He was actually a very good actor and though all we got was his Russian accent, you may want to check him out in such movies like Charlie Bartlett (he is the lead).

Here is where I get to be the dissenter (for many). I never liked Q episodes nor did I like giving the Borg a queen bee who was as emotional if not more than any of the folks in STNG and Voyager. The Borg was brilliant in the fact there was no emotion and no way to appeal to sensibilities yet, later we got a queen and the Borg was not so ominous (to me). Oh I should also say that the first time I watched STNG (when the first episode played) I remember having trouble adjusting to this new version and told someone it looked like an anorexic Captain Stubing from the Love Boat was running the ship along with Potsie from Happy Days (though I knew Patrick Stewart from earlier works like I, Claudius). I'm just glad I got over myself and immensely enjoyed STNG run collectively.

Reactions: AngerDanger

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
After 21 years of liking sci-fi but being apprehensive about Star Trek, I finally started watching it. As per a friend's recommendation, which I've since learned was atypical of most trekkies' preferences, I started with VOY, but couldn't make it past episode six. I've since switched to TNG and am halfway through season two.

I genuinely can't see why Riker is so lauded by everyone. He's extremely petulant, best seen in those episodes with his father and that copy of himself. He also has a real problem with authority, which I can't see as a positive in a military officer.
I've yet to see TOS, but I get the impression that Riker is sort of another incarnation of the Kirk character (from what I've heard of him). Although I tend to share your confusion, there are some nice Riker scenes. The curiosity and wonderment he displays in the pilot when he first meets Data are great; one might expect him to be competitive or dismissive with an artificial life form.

wow.gif
rock.gif

He shows similarly refreshing emotions when listening to Picard explain that humans are electrochemical machines, similar to Data and Lore.

electro.gif

The GIF quality is lacking because I had to maneuver within MacRumors' file size constraints.
But I think it derails a little when they talk about other races that actually are very primitive in their presentation: Romulans, Klingons, etc. They seem still human to me and not only that but actually backwards, which I find boring.
If I understand you correctly, you find their presentation primitive and not the characters themselves. If so, I agree. I'm liking TNG so far, but find it a bit campy whenever they meet a new humanoid "race" (again?! What are the odds?!) that coincidentally speaks English. They don't always just speak English, though. For example, Klingons speak… Klingon. Like how humans speak Human. Yes. And humans are all just as homogenous as Klingons, Vulcans, and Romulans—same hair, cloths, and skin tone.

Last edited:

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
After 21 years of liking sci-fi but being apprehensive about Star Trek, I finally started watching it. As per a friend's recommendation, which I've since learned was atypical of most trekkies' preferences, I started with VOY, but couldn't make it past episode six. I've since switched to TNG and am halfway through season two.

Yarp. ST:TNG is the series I would introduce to a neophyte. Even to a die-hard, red-shirted Trekkie like me find Voyager and Enterprise not worth re-watching except for a few choice episodes. Voyager has way, WAY too much techno-babble.:mad::mad::mad: Voyager and her crew seems to level 90 dual class Mage/Monk compared to everyone else's level 3 Burglar.:rolleyes: Even the might Borg become their whipping boy.o_O It took Picard a Sovereign class and entire fleet to take out a single Borg cube (First Contact), yet by the end of Voyager, a single Intrepid class (a less powerful than a Galaxy-class, laughable compared to a Sovereign-class) took out an entire Borg complex with little more than a photon torpedo and a mean sneer.:confused:

I'm liking TNG so far, but find it a bit campy whenever they meet a new humanoid "race" (again?! What are the odds?!) that coincidentally speaks English. They don't always just speak English, though. For example, Klingons speak… Klingon. Like how humans speak Human. Yes. And humans are all just as homogenous as Klingons, Vulcans, and Romulans—same hair, cloths, and skin tone.

Well, the comm badges worn by the crew has a built in universal translator (a sort of Babel Fish).
latest

That way everyone appears to speaks English (and to make it easier for the audience to understand:D). It ain't perfect, since it doesn't translate any alien curse words (gotta keep the PG rating).;) ST:TNG (season 6, episode 20), The Chase, explains why most of the aliens in the Star Trek universe are humanoid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.