Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
In 2020,"Bosch" was less than $5 million per episode as that was the price of the 10th most-expensive show per Screen Rant. Amazon also said "Bosch" was their most-popular show at launch. It is clear the show is popular as once the main series was done, they started "Bosch: Legacy" which is now in its second season. So it brought in enough viewers to justify whatever Amazon spent on it.

Reactions: Huntn

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I'd guess part of the reason why they wanna to the Academy spinoff (and maybe Legacy) is that they can decide to only write in existing characters whose actors they can lock in at reasonable costs.

I would also guess that even though they probably spent a mint on the main set, most of the episodes will be "bottles" that take place primarily or solely on said set.

Reactions: Huntn

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I'm finally getting through ST: Picard. Not since Barclay has there been a character that has so little business being on a starship crew, and not just for a few episodes, but the WHOLE DAMN SERIES. An emotionally unstable, needlessly argumentative hothead, second guessing everybodys everything to no end, has no respect for anyone, can't get out of her own head for 4 seconds, can't shutup ever, wears everyones nerves out, chews the scenery and hyperventilates about damn near everything, threatens everyone and everything with no reason behind it, she's utterly useless and a drag on progress in practically every scene in the entire series. Which, if that's the character they just had to write, fine, but why does Picard need this reckless narcissist along for the entire story? No reason given. Oh and Seven is just so hot for her. Yeah right. Maybe if we didn't know anything about Sevens personality up to this point. But she'll make a great Number One, sure, if you want your whole ship to grind to a halt any time something even remotely challenging arises. This is shlocky pandering to make a FLAWED (omg so flawed yes so many flaws did we tell u she's flawed?) character so they're "relatable" bc we're so egotistical we need to see our you know, typical dysfunctional trainwreck junkie selves represented on screen to get off our tractors and get into it... studio execs need to stop.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Um...I don't think you're talking about Raffi anymore.
Before she was just argumentative, but now she's just threatening people left and right bc Worf came back olde & wise and she became a supersoldier I guess, and now everyone's just letting her act out, like she just went for Q's neck a minute ago. Anyone there would have said wait, hang on, yes Q's a pain in the ass, but in case you are somehow familiar enough with Q to know he's responsible for chaos, and yet need a reminder about the volatile all-powerful god-like part, trying to physically attack Q's corporeal form by choking him out is probably not a sensible plan. Were he having a bad day, they might very well find themselves suspended over a volcano trying to paddle the air back to safety. Like, lady, cool it. I mean this is just getting... I don't know what.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Soo, in Episode 5 of Disco today, who else assumes that the <REDACTED> ship that was found comes back in episode 10 with a 32nd century refit?

tlnargi

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2019
I tried Disc again since it’s the last season. Season 5 episode 1 is one of the worst episodes of TV I have ever seen. Dialogue written by children. Plot resolutions made by more children.

Reactions: GlenK and phrehdd

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I am waiting for a 3 part Enterprise TV movie where the Temporal Cold War takes a new twist and we find out that broccoli boy's tantrum didn't mess up the D crystals in the future. In fact, Michael never goes to the future and either had returned to Vulcan or ends up in a Federation prison. The Star Trek time line is restored from the real "Q" as in question mark - who wrote Discovery seasons 4 and 5 and did they pass puberty?

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Maybe viewers should judge it more fairly. We know why some of you hate it.
I don't hate Discovery, but I have difficulty getting through an episode. The characters spend so much time jumping between one techno babble dialog to the next that I really don't care what happens to them and I lose track of the plot. I know I know it is sci-fi, so technology will play a big part, but it just feels like it intrudes on the story telling more than older Trek, Picard, and SNW.

Why do you think people do not like Discovery?

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I don't hate Discovery, but I have difficulty getting through an episode. The characters spend so much time jumping between one techno babble dialog to the next that I really don't care what happens to them and I lose track of the plot. I know I know it is sci-fi, so technology will play a big part, but it just feels like it intrudes on the story telling more than older Trek, Picard, and SNW.

Why do you think people do not like Discovery?
Very hard to respond without a lot of writing. I'll simply say there were things to like or love about the show but the things to deplore (for some of us) was far greater.

On a side note - I think they did well with the mirror verse on par with Enterprise and superior to DS9 that wasted it and used it for action filler stories.

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
I tried Disc again since it’s the last season. Season 5 episode 1 is one of the worst episodes of TV I have ever seen. Dialogue written by children. Plot resolutions made by more children.
Eek. I've held off on Disco season 5 as season 4 (with the DMA and Species 10-C) turned out to be a waste of time. When I fell behind on S4 and didn't care that much, that was a sign. If S5 ends up being a dud, I may just skip it.

Earlier seasons ranged from ok to good, for the most part but I didn't like how S3 was resolved (the origins of the Burn). It took awhile to get used to how different it was but I eventually accepted it. And, the Klingons speaking so slowly in S1 went away...

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Whilst Discovery isn't quite my cup of tea, I listen to "The Greatest Generation" and I'm paraphrasing but one of the hosts describes Star Trek 'as a place' within which you can tell many stories.

We have Discovery / Strange New Worlds / Picard / Lower Decks / Prodigy all overlapping each other plus whatever else is incoming. They've absolutely broadened the appeal to different people young and old. Even if there's only one or two of those shows that was created for vanilla nerds like us, it's still a win for the universe.

And we'll always have legacy Trek (if they ever bother spending money doing HD scans and re-rendering DS9 and Voyager.)

But if I am going to rant - Picard frustrated me way more than Disco ever has.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Recently, I learned about a deleted scene in the Picard finale involving a long running joke w/Troi. Do NOT read unless you've finished Picard.

They should have kept that in! That would have been redemption for her, especially with how well she handled the quantum filament in season 5!

BL.

Reactions: cwerdna

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Recently, I learned about a deleted scene in the Picard finale involving a long running joke w/Troi. Do NOT read unless you've finished Picard.

I thought it was funny.

"Humph. Women drivers. Guys, am I right? Guys?"

Probably why they pulled it. It sounded too much a woman drivers joke. Very un-24th century.

Reactions: cwerdna

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I thought it was funny.

"Humph. Women drivers. Guys, am I right? Guys?"

Probably why they pulled it. It sounded too much a woman drivers joke. Very un-24th century.

More than likely.. but put that also in contrast to how Beverly handled tactical.. that would have shut down any chauvinistic issues they had. Woman piloting the ship while another woman is destroying the Borg..

BL.

Reactions: Rafterman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.