Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Dunno, loved "Fred" as he was so much Data/Lore/Before without being any of them, picking up that old story line that should have played a bigger role in any ST after it sounds good.
Didn't like the "villain is kinda like Booker's little sister" idea, seems a bit too constructed.

New No1 could be a good addition or maybe a very bad one.....
Sideshows, so Saru's love affair, the politics and Tilly at the academy do make the world a bit more complete to the point where it almost feels like DS9 (peek ST if you ask me).

Its a reverse Picard S3 - now a cool captain, dick first officer.
]

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I like it as well and it does have some "influences" but a bit more subtle which is fine. I think Peck's Spock is more to my liking than Z.Q. Peck's voice and cadence adds value though I didn't like the wimp rapport he had with his betrothed.

Lower Decks! Lower Decks!

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
DS9 watchers/fans would probably appreciate
"The Roddenberry Archive: Deep Space Nine... The World According to Quark

Join Armin Shimerman (who portrays the beloved bartender 'Quark') on a journey through the Roddenberry Archive's virtual recreation of the Promenade from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, as we explore the evolution and legacy of the Star Trek's most famous space station."

He narrates the video. Found it via https://gizmodo.com/star-trek-ds9-promenade-virtual-tour-vr-roddenberry-1851390690.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
DS9 watchers/fans would probably appreciate
"The Roddenberry Archive: Deep Space Nine... The World According to Quark

Join Armin Shimerman (who portrays the beloved bartender 'Quark') on a journey through the Roddenberry Archive's virtual recreation of the Promenade from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, as we explore the evolution and legacy of the Star Trek's most famous space station."

He narrates the video. Found it via https://gizmodo.com/star-trek-ds9-promenade-virtual-tour-vr-roddenberry-1851390690.

Armin Shimerman talked about how he was a guest star on Seinfeld, and was treated like crap.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Lower Decks will be ending with the next season.

LD.png

For streaming shows, five seasons must be when the escalation clauses kick in for actors and writers and the show becomes too expensive.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

View attachment 2367941

For streaming shows, five seasons must be when the escalation clauses kick in for actors and writers and the show becomes too expensive.

BOOOOOOOO!!!

Paramount is too cheap and is running everything into the ground, spending resources on new series no one asked for.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008

View attachment 2367941

Well it wasn't my cup of tea but glad so many out there enjoyed it. A 5 season series is a good run. Perhaps in a year or two, I'll watch it and understand why many enjoyed it.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
The show is essentially a "love letter" to the franchise as it is crammed full of Easter Eggs from every series. The producers and writers on this one have a full knowledge and love of the franchise and it shows.

I will miss it, but the cast is technically no longer "lower decks" with their promotion to Lieutenant Junior Grade so the original premise is now kind of moot and having a final season to properly wrap everything up is a nice sendoff. And hey, there is always the chance they will appear again in live-action thanks to "These Old Scientists".

I do wish the writers had done more character development with Mariner. It seemed every step forward they took with her, they would then take two steps back. Still, as a force of nature she was a blast to watch and her VA is a writer for the new "Star Fleet Academy" show,

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
The show is essentially a "love letter" to the franchise as it is crammed full of Easter Eggs from every series. The producers and writers on this one have a full knowledge and love of the franchise and it shows.

I will miss it, but the cast is technically no longer "lower decks" with their promotion to Lieutenant Junior Grade so the original premise is now kind of moot and having a final season to properly wrap everything up is a nice sendoff. And hey, there is always the chance they will appear again in live-action thanks to "These Old Scientists".

I do wish the writers had done more character development with Mariner. It seemed every step forward they took with her, they would then take two steps back. Still, as a force of nature she was a blast to watch and her VA is a writer for the new "Star Fleet Academy" show,

Tawny Newsome (as writer) and Mary Wiseman from Discovery are the only two so far I've heard are attached to SF Academy.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
So apparently Lower Decks was not expecting cancellation (same as Discovery). I wonder if we will get a proper send-off (as was done post-wrap with Discovery) or if the show will end as planned with the expectation there would be another season as you can't just film some extra scenes like with live action.

So I guess not enough people were watching it since it arguably should not be a cost issue as a season of LD runs about as much as an episode of Discovery in terms of production costs.

As with Prodigy, Paramount may be willing to shop Lower Decks to other streaming services to continue with new episodes.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
So apparently Lower Decks was not expecting cancellation (same as Discovery). I wonder if we will get a proper send-off (as was done post-wrap with Discovery) or if the show will end as planned with the expectation there would be another season as you can't just film some extra scenes like with live action.

So I guess not enough people were watching it since it arguably should not be a cost issue as a season of LD runs about as much as an episode of Discovery in terms of production costs.

As with Prodigy, Paramount may be willing to shop Lower Decks to other streaming services to continue with new episodes.
Was Prodigy picked up by anyone or suggesting it might be? As for Discovery, the proper ending would be that it was all an alternate universe that aligns with the panderverse in South Park. <G>

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Was Prodigy picked up by anyone or suggesting it might be?

Yes Netflix picked it up and is currently airing Season One, with Season Two coming later this year. There is no word on whether it will get a third Season (Season Two was almost complete when Paramount+ pulled the plug), but if there is, it would be at least two years away.

Reactions: phrehdd

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Well it wasn't my cup of tea but glad so many out there enjoyed it. A 5 season series is a good run. Perhaps in a year or two, I'll watch it and understand why many enjoyed it.
A good Star Trek series should run for 7 years. TNG and DS9 both ran for 7 glorious years. There's plenty of spoofs, parodies, easter eggs for another 2 years of good writing.
As for Discovery, the proper ending would be that it was all an alternate universe that aligns with the panderverse in South Park. <G>
I'd rather have the whole series expunged from lore by having it end with Temporal agents from the 31st Century erasing that timeline from the Star Trek universe for "Temporal Cold War shenanigans."😉 End with a panning shot of the temporal command center located in a pocket universe. A voice from an agent announces, "The Discovery timeline has been erased. Temporal stability restored, Admiral Crusher."

Pan to the big chair. A grey haired man nods and stands up. It's Wesley!🥳 He askes, "Progress report on the [J.J. Abram's] Kelvin timeline?"😏

Last edited:

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
A good Star Trek series should run for 7 years. TNG and DS9 both ran for 7 glorious years. There's plenty of spoofs, parodies, easter eggs for another 2 years of good writing.

Not sure specifically why TNG, DS9 and Voyager went seven seasons, since TNG and DS9 were both first-run syndication. Voyager was off-network syndication, but I do not think you need seven episodes worth of material for that (it is usually 65 or 120 episodes to coincide with 13/26 weeks of Mon-Fri broadcasting). I mean Enterprise went into syndication with only four seasons under it's belt and TOS did it with three.

I can see Discovery getting the axe because it is very expensive and Paramount+ is likely spending a mint getting Star Fleet Academy off the ground (the main set is said to be the largest every constructed for a television series). But Lower Decks is far cheaper to produce...

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
Kinda happy about SNW (Other than I think they need to use Pike better, have more Ortegas episodes, and start treating Spock with a bit more honor) but really bummed about Lower Decks. It feels like the Prodigy situation from last year. Now my two favorite series of the new era are either ending (Lower Decks) or in Limbo (We don't know when Prodigy will premiere in the US since I guess it already premiered in France).

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Not sure specifically why TNG, DS9 and Voyager went seven seasons, since TNG and DS9 were both first-run syndication. Voyager was off-network syndication, but I do not think you need seven episodes worth of material for that (it is usually 65 or 120 episodes to coincide with 13/26 weeks of Mon-Fri broadcasting). I mean Enterprise went into syndication with only four seasons under it's belt and TOS did it with three.
They intended TOS to run for 5 seasons, hences the "it's 5 year mission to explore strange new worlds." It got axed for low ratings. Enterprise was also axed, due mainly to bad writing. Scott Bakula isn't a good enough actor to work with a weak script. I thought he was great in Quantum Leap, but then that show had some good writing.
I can see Discovery getting the axe because it is very expensive and Paramount+ is likely spending a mint getting Star Fleet Academy off the ground (the main set is said to be the largest every constructed for a television series).
Disco suffers from the same thing a lot of remakes of great movies/shows suffer from: they get compared to the classic. The wrong kind of "improvements" infuriates the old guards. When the remake idea bombed, the went completely off track...which should have drawn attention from the temporal agents for temporal shenanigans.

Why don't studios do remakes of movies/shows that had promising premises, but bomb due to poor F/X or writing. Remake Manos: The Hand of Fate with a real script and real actors.

This is what endured DS9 to a lot of fans. They made the Ferengi--a purtided attempt at replacing the Klingons--as a fun species whose antics in TNG could be blamed on a series of misunderstandings.😉
But Lower Decks is far cheaper to produce...
And far better.

Last edited:

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
They intended TOS to run for 5 seasons, hences the "it's 5 year mission to explore strange new worlds." It got axed for low ratings. Enterprise was also axed, due mainly to bad writing. Scott Bakula isn't a good enough actor to work with a weak script. I thought he was great in Quantum Leap, but then that show had some good writing.

Disco suffers from the same thing a lot of remakes of great movies/shows suffer from: they get compared to the classic. The wrong kind of "improvements" infuriates the old guards. When the remake idea bombed, the went completely off track...which should have drawn attention from the temporal agents for temporal shenanigans.

Why don't studios do remakes of movies/shows that had promising premises, but bomb due to poor F/X or writing. Remake Manos: The Hand of Fate with a real script and real actors.

This is what endured DS9 to a lot of fans. They made the Ferengi--a purtided attempt at replacing the Klingons--as a fun species whose antics in TNG could be blamed on a series of misunderstandings.😉

And far better.

The only negative I ever felt about Discovery was changing the Klingons. No need to do that. And maybe Burnham's Mary-Sue-ness.

Reactions: Mousse and Mainsail

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008

And far better.
I don't think Disco suffered from comparisons other than perhaps things like re-imagining the Klingons but rather, some story arcs, today's politics done with a sledge hammer and more was what turned off some people. Candidly I thought having a pubescent broccoli boy with a temper tantrum as being the reason that the crystals for warp flight were unavailable was the single lamest thing on Star Trek as a vehicle to create the future where Michael and gang get to be the heroes. Disco is the first S.T. series of all (live actor shows) that I stopped watching. Then again, if one could compare to the original, it might be episodes that had the hippies in space looking for the garden of Eden and compare it to such things as Michael's future hair with 21st century weave and extension braids...argh on both.

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
I stumbled across these on YouTube:

I've only watched parts 2, 3 and part of 4 so far. I totally forgot that the late Joan Rivers had this show. I remember her being a guest host on Johnny Carson.

I just started part 1 (
) and the intro had a scene from a season 4 TNG ep involving the Klingon civil war.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: decafjava

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

In another time, when things were different. In the era of streaming, that is just not going to happen anymore.

Reactions: cwerdna

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Sometimes it happens. Bosch went 7 or so seasons.

TNG cost $1.3 million per episode ($3.5 million, adjusted for 2024 inflation), Discovery cost $8 million an episode. I suspect Bosch doesn't cost nearly as much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
Bosch went 7 or so seasons.

With only 10 episodes each but also with 2 extra "spinoff" seasons.

All good and well, but with no big franchise deal and the cast/crew continuing it at their own risk that is kinda easy.

You just can't make a ST show with low production value and not damage the brand. And while may get some of the stars to reprise their roles in fan fiction for free, once it is a real commercial production they will ask top dollar (hence many long runninf shows getting canceled despite being super popular).

Discovery cost $8 million an episode.
I'd guess part of the reason why they wanna to the Academy spinoff (and maybe Legacy) is that they can decide to only write in existing characters whose actors they can lock in at reasonable costs.

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.