Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Lower Decks finale was good. I liked Mariner, when addressing all the Lower Deckers for Nick. (goes right up to the camera, "This guy suuuucks!") lol.

Reactions: Huntn

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
One of the aliens on the Cerritos from Lower Decks is from the Darmok planet.

(tries hitting on one of the officers, she blows him off)

"Oh well, Shaka when the walls fell..."

Lower Decks is so funny and fun.

I need to catch up with Strange New Words but from what i have seen, i like it a lot.

Reactions: Rafterman

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
IMG_8888.jpg

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
There is a Star Trek convention coming to my area. Anyone on this thread been to one? If so, was it worthwhile?

I am a fan, but not hardcore…. e.g. I don’t collect memorabilia or have a costume.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I've been to one. It was fun to see attendees in costume and 2 or 3 cast members from the shows, signing autographs. I'm glad I went, but I wasn't tempted to attend another one.

Reactions: Mainsail

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
The closest thing I ever did to a live Star Trek event was the Star Trek Experience in Vegas. I remember the Borg 3D hologram they had.

Reactions: cwerdna

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
The closest thing I ever did to a live Star Trek event was the Star Trek Experience in Vegas. I remember the Borg 3D hologram they had.

I do remember getting out to the Hilton, which was off the Strip, was a bit inconvenient, and getting admonished by the tour guide when I tried to venture away from the rear of the bridge to check out the lower section. And the bar/restaurant at the end.

Otherwise, I don't remember a single other thing about it.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I do remember getting out to the Hilton, which was off the Strip, was a bit inconvenient, and getting admonished by the tour guide when I tried to venture away from the rear of the bridge to check out the lower section. And the bar/restaurant at the end.

Otherwise, I don't remember a single other thing about it.

I remember the guide admonished people for taking pictures. Which was dumb, that is something people would want to remember.

Reactions: TheIntruder

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles

I remember taking my family to the Star Trek temporary exhibition at the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia some years back. Here's a video tour of the exhibition given by a trekker. The fun part was the "in" jokes on some of the screens, like the panel in Sick Bay that has a section about medical insurance.

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
There is a Star Trek convention coming to my area. Anyone on this thread been to one? If so, was it worthwhile?

I am a fan, but not hardcore…. e.g. I don’t collect memorabilia or have a costume.
Yes. I've been to a bunch over the years. I've been to some even over 20 years ago like one where Shatner and Nimoy were on stage together.

AGES ago, the biggest one in the US to be the Pasadena one. I went to one that had all of the Voyager cast (except Janeway and before Seven) + Brent Spiner and Jeff Goldblum (to promote Independence Day, wasn't out yet) + Majel Barrett.

Eventually, I heard from folks the LA area convention basically died and got little interest. Now the biggest one in the US is probably the Vegas one which I've been to twice. I was at
when they abruptly said the Alex Kurtzman would be on stage with an announcement or something and Patrick Stewart wasn't even on the roster. So, it was a huge surprise that Patrick came out to talk about how he turned down the role Picard show and then went on basically to tell us about the status at that point + what it'd be about, roughly. We were all ecstatic.

Between the two Vegas cons I went to, I recall Nimoy, both Sulus on stage together, Terry Farrell, both Duras sisters in costume doing their thing, some Ferengis, Walter Koenig, seeing Aron Eisenberg in person, a whole bunch of Enteprise cast and more. I think I went to one where Patrick Stewart and William Shatner were on stage together.

I was also at https://www.ktnv.com/news/tuba-player-for-nevada-pops-dies-after-collapsing-at-star-trek-concert when that happened. I had bought a ticket to hear an orchestra play a bunch of Trek music. It was delayed because the tuba player collapsed but then the show went on. We had no idea what happened to the player. I only found out after I left Vegas.

The concert was great. They played TOS music (conductor was a Trek fan and interjected some funny stuff), Jerry Goldsmith's music and they had some guest conductors conducting for their own music like https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0315974/ and https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0565103/ for DS9 music.

I don't have a uniform but if I had one, I would dress up in uniform to go. I should get one...

OT:
IIRC, he was in the band that would play the "interstitial" music (for lack of a better term) between guests at the Vegas conventions. Maybe the name of it was Sons of Kirk?

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
Code:
https://trekmovie.com/2024/01/25/jonathan-frakes-calls-riker-maneuver-from-star-trek-tng-an-******-move-in-reddit-ama/
has as bit of spoiler for both SNW and Picard show.

Ack! This board is replacing some characters with *.

Google for Jonathan Frakes Calls Riker Maneuver From Star Trek reddit ama trekmovie. It refers to how he mounts chairs.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Well, I finally finished Picard season 2 last night. It was a real struggle to get through episode 7 (I started it months ago!), then I had to skip a bunch in the final 3 episodes. I suspect there's no way season 3 can be worse. Season 2 must be the worst season in all of Star Trek series history.
What an interesting idea - maybe a poll should be taken of the worst season of any S.T. show.

As for me, I'll put anything before Discovery after they jump into the future. Perhaps what these seasons do is remind us how good some of the other shows are/were.

Last edited:
Reactions: cwerdna

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Code:
https://trekmovie.com/2024/01/25/jonathan-frakes-calls-riker-maneuver-from-star-trek-tng-an-******-move-in-reddit-ama/
has as bit of spoiler for both SNW and Picard show.

Ack! This board is replacing some characters with *.

The asterisks result from a character sequence that's filtered out by the forum software.

To get the proper URL, change an-*****-move to this sequence (without the spaces): a n - a - h o l e - m o v e

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
First two episodes of Picard Season 3 done and it's definitely off to a better start than season 2!
FWIW, for me, Picard season 1 had really uneven plot density but the ending was good. I really liked the 1st 1.5 eps of Picard S2. Season 2 was ok but ending was good.

Season 3 had a really good ending (was total fan service near the end). It also had many eps where they would end with "wow, I don't know how they're going to get out of this situation". The "joke" is that to watch Picard (not only do you have to be a TNG fan), start with season 3 then go back and watch seasons 1 and 2 later.

Disco season 4 with the DMA, Species 10-C and all that was crap. For awhile, I fell behind and didn't even care. So, my expectations for S5 are kinda low.

Reactions: phrehdd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.