Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
And yet for most other shows, we don't see scenes like that, because they show how far advanced we have come from such scenes; especially with seeing women in positions of power both in front of and behind the camera. Keep in mind, that McFadden herself ended up directing episodes of ST. Her and Biggs-Dawson became prominent directors of their respective series.

BL.

I guess you can rule out any movies and shows that depict Nazis or KKK because portraying history might upset some delicate tummies since we are so advanced now (not).

I can't believe you don't get this.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Of course we do. All the time. I just watched "Elvis" last night. Did you know that some people were racist in the 1940s and 50s in the US? Shocking, I know.

Again, you miss the point. And I guess I have to dance on the edge of PRSI to prove it.

The issue we have is that while you are stating that the scene is about how people in the 20th century acted while the scene is set in the 24th century (which I have no argument with), the very issue is that the very scene itself doesn't work out well. When you think about the past 7 years of the previous POTUS, Matt Lauer, Bill Cosby, Harvey Weinstein, Access Hollywood, and #metoo, it is more than plain to see that we have advanced well past the TNG scene to where it is all but reprehensible. We are no longer that society, and because of that, the scene has not aged well.

To that degree, with what happened in the 40s doesn't age well, because we have advanced past that. We've advanced passed Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, the N word in all of Richard Pryor's shows, the racial issue in the Jeffersons, where we know better in today's society to know what is right/acceptable and what isn't.

That said, in a historical sense, that scene in TNG is commentary FOR THAT TIME, but we are no longer in that time. Taking that scene back at that time and applying it to that time, you would be absolutely correct; taking that scene and applying it right now, it doesn't look good, as it could/should make any person feel uneasy. Again, if that were done today (which it was with that journalist), we see what the consequences of that action is.

Again, in historical context, it had a major point (again, which I approve of); but if tried today, it isn't a good look.

BL.

LedRush

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2023
Taking that scene back at that time and applying it to that time, you would be absolutely correct; taking that scene and applying it right now, it doesn't look good, as it could/should make any person feel uneasy.
I’m sorry, but this is just incoherent. I don’t see how a scene which criticizes a practice from a past time doesn’t look good. I’d even go further and say that I don’t see why a scene which accurately portrays a practice from a past time wouldn’t look good today. As others have noted, this would result either in completely ignoring most of human history or whitewashing it so that egg-shell psyches don’t feel uneasy.

Reactions: CWallace

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I’m sorry, but this is just incoherent. I don’t see how a scene which criticizes a practice from a past time doesn’t look good. I’d even go further and say that I don’t see why a scene which accurately portrays a practice from a past time wouldn’t look good today. As others have noted, this would result either in completely ignoring most of human history or whitewashing it so that egg-shell psyches don’t feel uneasy.

Simple. Because such an act today would get someone fired, arrested, and charged with assault.

No one is whitewashing what occurred in the past. The issue here is that something that was acceptable in the past is no longer acceptable now. That isn't hard to understand, nor is that whitewashing.

BL.

LedRush

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2023
Simple. Because such an act today would get someone fired, arrested, and charged with assault.
Exactly my point. That’s why criticizing it ages well, just like criticizing all the other sorts of things which happened in the past in current TV shows and movies.

Reactions: fatTribble

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA

There is a difference between fictional misogyny and factual misogyny and the vast majority of the public understand and accept that difference.

It is because that male marathon runner groped a female reporter as part of a live broadcast reporting on an unfolding event is why there was such public outrage. The male made a conscious choice to perform an inappropriate action against the female. The male had agency and the female did not.

If that male marathon runner groped a female reporter in a book/television show/movie as part of the story, it would raise little, if any, public outrage because it was a fictional event. Neither the male nor the female have agency as they are just characters in a story so there should be no reasonable grounds to protest - especially if the author(s) set sufficient context for the incident to happen (as was done by Deborah McIntyre and Mona Clee [two female writers, I might note] in "The Neutral Zone").

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

No one is whitewashing what occurred in the past. The issue here is that something that was acceptable in the past is no longer acceptable now. That isn't hard to understand, nor is that whitewashing.

BL.

If you are a TV show or movie, and you want to criticize a certain behavior, how do you do it without showing the original behavior and why it is wrong?

E.g., you can't show the evils of Nazism without showing death camps. You can't say "oh, showing that would never fly today." That's ridiculous.

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
giphy.gif

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
View attachment 2284939
Only one man can beat Kirk ; himself !
Be sure your sound is working when you try this. :)

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023

Star Trek: Prodigy to Stream on Netflix​

Previously aired first season coming to the platform later this year, with the new, second season of the animated series slated to debut in 2024!

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Hi all, don't mean to hijack this thread and I'm only mentioning this because a few years ago I started buying Eaglemoss ships off Taobao and loved them. I only heard earlier this year that they went bankrupt because my finger is not on the pulse.

Just in case anyone was somehow as oblivious as me, I recently found out that a company called Master Replicas bought all the Eaglemoss stock and have been selling them off week by week. Since I'm back in the UK now I just spent way too much money on all the random little ships I loved as a kid when I thumbed though the Star Trek Encyclopaedia. (I have a thing for ships with four nacelles)

Whilst I'm sure the hero ships will continue to be sold by other companies until time ends, I'm unsure if any other future company are going to dive so deep to make models of all the niche ships we may have a personal affinity for.

Anyway, all my purchases have shipped so far, but I have seen some reports that delivery from the UK to the USA has taken it's toll on the shipping boxes.

Last edited:

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
I was just yesterday thinking about some old Star Trek episodes, and it occurred to me since the entire series is on Netflix I could put my subscription to good use and watch various of the “best” episodes that I never saw when the series was on TV.

I was a fan at the time but not really dedicated and because of well, life, I never plowed through the whole of Star Trek. Now I’m not planning to do that, I‘m not really big on TV but a few episodes I can find time for.

I thought I’d start off with “City on the Edge of Forever” from the original series, which I’ve never seen, but I’m open to suggestions about other can’t-miss episodes of Star Trek, TNG, Deep Space Nine, Voyager or Enterprise.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Hi all, don't mean to hijack this thread and I'm only mentioning this because a few years ago I started buying Eaglemoss ships off Taobao and loved them. I only heard earlier this year that they went bankrupt because my finger is not on the pulse.

Their webmaster is trolling.
wut.png

We all know that ship is actually the Serenity from Firefly.🙃 Adria commands her Ori legions from that ship.😅

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
To be honest while I have no evidence of this, I suspect that whoever this new Master Replicas company is, it may be the remnants of Eaglemoss since they're both UK companies.

Master Replicas are part of Heathside Trading and when Eaglemoss went under, Heathside Trading purchased their remaining stock and is selling through Master Replicas.

Reactions: iZac

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Master Replicas has been around for decades and handles multiple IPs. They are part of Heathside Trading and when Eaglemoss went under, Heathside Trading purchased their remaining stock and is selling through Master Replicas.

Ah thanks! See, I have no clue about these things. I might as well snip the conspiracy theory out of my earlier post ;)

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
I was just yesterday thinking about some old Star Trek episodes, and it occurred to me since the entire series is on Netflix I could put my subscription to good use and watch various of the “best” episodes that I never saw when the series was on TV.

I was a fan at the time but not really dedicated and because of well, life, I never plowed through the whole of Star Trek. Now I’m not planning to do that, I‘m not really big on TV but a few episodes I can find time for.

I thought I’d start off with “City on the Edge of Forever” from the original series, which I’ve never seen, but I’m open to suggestions about other can’t-miss episodes of Star Trek, TNG, Deep Space Nine, Voyager or Enterprise.
From a quick glance at the top few entries, I think these are good starting points:
https://m.imdb.com/search/title/?se...=250&sort=user_rating,desc&ref_=tt_eps_rhs_sm - don't watch BOBW I and II until you've seen Q Who first. I wouldn't watch Parallels until you've seen BOBW I and II first. I Borg you'd watch after BOBW II. The Pegasus was a good ep. Relics was total fan service for TOS fans. I liked Timescape and The Defector. For two parters (e.g. Chain of Command), of course watch them in sequence. Darmok was a really weird ep (e.g. "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra", "shaka, when the walls fell", "Zinda, his face black, his eyes red"). Yesterday's Enterprise was great.

I wouldn't watch All Good Things (final ep) until you're done.

is helpful for TOS.

If you know and liked the evil parallel universe (Mirror, Mirror from TOS) then watch In a Mirror, Darkly parts 1 and 2 of Enterprise. It was in its final season. Those were EXCELLENT eps! It also relates directly to TOS ep https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/The_Tholian_Web_(episode).

Last edited:

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
From a quick glance at the top few entries, I think these are good starting points:
https://m.imdb.com/search/title/?se...=250&sort=user_rating,desc&ref_=tt_eps_rhs_sm - don't watch BOBW I and II until you've seen Q Who first. I wouldn't watch Parallels until you've seen BOBW I and II first. I Borg you'd watch after BOBW II. The Pegasus was a good ep. Relics was total fan service for TOS fans. I liked Timescape and The Defector. For two parters (e.g. Chain of Command), of course watch them in sequence. Darmok was a really weird ep (e.g. "Darmok and Jalad at Tanager", "shaka, when the walls fell", "Zinda, his face black, his eyes red"). Yesterday's Enterprise was great.

I wouldn't watch All Good Things (final ep) until you're done.

is helpful for TOS.

If you know and liked the evil parallel universe (Mirror, Mirror from TOS) then watch In a Mirror, Darkly parts 1 and 2 of Enterprise. It was in its final season. Those were EXCELLENT eps! It also relates directly to TOS ep https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/The_Tholian_Web_(episode).

I have a copy of BOBW from iTunes that was a director's cut of the two episodes in one movie. Same with "Way of the Warrior."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.